Breathable cycling jacket recommendations...?

If they're still made the Karrimor Kalahari is the best. Waterproof front, fleece rear. Terrific.

"Simon Hawthorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all I need to buy a breathable waterproof cycling jacket - does anyone have any first hand
> recommendations....

I have a Goretex from www.wiggle.co.uk that seems to do the job, a friend has an Altura Phase 400
that he's pleased with. Generally the cheaper ones are less effective at breathing despite what
claims may be made for them.

Pete

"Simon Hawthorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all I need to buy a breathable waterproof cycling jacket - does anyone have any first hand
> recommendations.... Thanks in advance... Simon
>

> Regards, Simon http://www.thehawthornes.org

I highly recommend the Pearl Izumi Channel jacket. It uses a proprietary fabric called eVent that
outperformed Gortex in US Army Material Lab testing ( http://slate.msn.com/id/2085417 ). It is an
expensive jacket and has no vents, pit zips, or pockets, but I use one on a 17 mile one way commute
in Seattle and it has performed very well, even on the rainiest day ever recorded in Seattle. The
temperature regulation is quite good. I have used it between -4 C and 13 C without problems.

In message <[email protected]>, Simon Hawthorne
<[email protected]> writes
>Hi all I need to buy a breathable waterproof cycling jacket - does anyone have any first hand
>recommendations....

I've had the bottom-of-the-range over-the-head Gore-Tex one from Gore's own range for several
years now, and it's going strong (with the help of an annual Nikwax treatment). I think the
nearest equivalent in their current range is the Challenge Jacket, which Wiggle is currently
selling at GBP 66.49 [WHAT??? Surely some mistake...]. Very basic but effective, well made and
well designed. I always found the Freestyle ones too tight across the shoulders (and I'm not broad-
shouldered at all).