Breathable rain jackets

jawnn

Nov 17, 2003
Breathable rain jackets?

Do any of these jackets breathe enough for heavy cycling?

I was using my wind jacket the other day in cold weather and when I got home it was wet inside. I usualy take it off before I get so warm.

You want to look for (and, buy/use) a jacket made with EITHER GoreTex-or-equivalent OR a 60-40, 65-35, Supplex-or-equivalent breathable fabric rather than a vinyl/rubber coated fabric. If you have a local REI, check their cycling, XC & camping gear to compare fabrics & prices.

I use a light nylon wind jacket that breathes, but not enough for heavy cycling. I need a waterproof jacket, but I hear Gortex just in not as breathable as they say, not surprising.

Is there any one that uses a thin wool jacket for wind and rain???

My bicycle guru says to use silk then wool then Gortex with out a liner.

I use the Flash Gordon made by the brilliant kiwi firm Groundeffect its nylon with hydrofoil, it can still get a little sweaty but not much particularly if you unzip the underarm zips, Groundeffect make some of the best cycling gear I've come across and it's not the body hugging variety that roadies wear so you can hang out in it as well and the shorts etc are not as revealing as lycra so its more appropiate for commuting to work. I used to import it when I lived in the UK and the customer service is nothing short of fantastic if you choose the wrong size.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-FLA-RAI.htm

That's a BIG jacket you are looking for. Erm you could contact them as they export all over the world. NZ LX are quite big as the population on average is quite large with its ethnic mix of people - hence the size of the All Blacks!

I found what I needed at Penncycle, and the wool under shirt at Cabelas for twice the price of the rain suit.

I just wish there was some kind of wool substatute that wouod last longer but work as well.

The best outerwear I have found for doing any type of sport in inclement weather is snowboard clothing.

The 'shells' tend to be relatively lightweight, breathable and often very 'technical' (read: lots of pockets and zippers, including underarm zippers for ventilation).
They won't stop a real honest-to-goodness downpour, but then again, nothing else will either, unless you're willing to sweat like a pig on a spit in one of those yellow sou'wester type things, getting you wet either way......
Snowboard stuff also tends to look a little more 'normal' than a lot of the clothing specifically made for cycling, which means you'll be more suited to walk amongst your fellow humanoids (if you must...).

Wool is great as a first or only layer or when it's REALLY cold, otherwise too hot, and the really thin wool shirts and undies cost an arm and a leg.