Cycling Training · Public discussion

breathing – asthma?

Started by lostmyshape · · Last activity · 51 posts · 6,917 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
24 February 2004
Last activity
7 April 2004
Original author
lostmyshape
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,917
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I do have asthma, but I'm guess I'm pretty lucky, I've lived without treatment for quite some time. Weaning myself off Ventolin was quite hard, it become a crutch I guess. I've found that the key triggers for me are stress, cold air and "crossing that invisible line" when exercising.

    I use several methods for controlling it.
    + On cold days I wrap a scarf around my mouth and nose, which seems to take the edge out of cold air.
    + Try to keep at least 1 gear below what my ego tells me I can spin (2 gears since moved from a 6x3 to a 9x3 setup).
    + Breathe through my nose when I get a hint of my chest tightening. Often this requires me to lift the throttle a smidgeon too, but it's a good trade-off vs fighting for breath.

    Avoiding booze the day before helps a ton too. Staying fit is the best answer though, when I'm fit I am practically immune to the exercise trigger. I definately share the frustration with other folks here when I feel my chest tightening while the rest of my body is cruising away happily. 🙁

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by darkboong
    I do have asthma, but I'm guess I'm pretty lucky, I've lived without treatment for quite some time. Weaning myself off Ventolin was quite hard, it become a crutch I guess. I've found that the key triggers for me are stress, cold air and "crossing that invisible line" when exercising.

    I use several methods for controlling it.
    + On cold days I wrap a scarf around my mouth and nose, which seems to take the edge out of cold air.
    + Try to keep at least 1 gear below what my ego tells me I can spin (2 gears since moved from a 6x3 to a 9x3 setup).
    + Breathe through my nose when I get a hint of my chest tightening. Often this requires me to lift the throttle a smidgeon too, but it's a good trade-off vs fighting for breath.

    Avoiding booze the day before helps a ton too. Staying fit is the best answer though, when I'm fit I am practically immune to the exercise trigger. I definately share the frustration with other folks here when I feel my chest tightening while the rest of my body is cruising away happily. 🙁

    Yeah it sounds like you, me, and quite a few others have found the same tricks that work. In my case, I have to remind myself to not let my eagerness and my thighs get ahead of what my lungs can handle. In other words, start slowly and warm up.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    There is a study by Falth-Magnusson and Kjellman from the University of Linkoping. It studied allergy prone families, and removed cow's milk and egg from the mother's diet from gestational week 28 until delivery. Asthma, eczema and other allergic diseases were EQUALLY common amongst both groups, food intolerance of egg was more common amongst the group whose mothers had abstained from it.

    There is a significant body of work coming out of Sweden with regards to Asthma, if you search for Linkoping and asthma on pubmed you find a lot. If you search for 'egg' or 'diet' in addition to these terms there is only one result; the one I have already explained.

    BeasTT it is a reasonably serious matter to go around making up studies, or lying about the results of studies that already exist. Is this what you have done, or can you please provide a reference or point us in the right direction?

    What I don't understand is why you would even want to make this stuff up...

    You mentioned you would get flamed when you posted about this at first, I don't mean to flame you, but I am seriously beginning to question the authenticity of this alleged 'study', and that doesn't reflect well on you at all.

    I'll thank you quite kindly to refrain from making such accusations, Roadie. If you've done the web searches you claim you've done then you will have found at least some references to the study I cited. My original information was published in "Diet for a New America", John Robbins, Stillpoint Publishing, page 300, paragraphs 5 and 6. Unfortunately, I was unable to find much in the way of specific published data concerning the method by which the study was conducted so I opted to refrain from responding until such time that I might be able to find information more specific to your requests, (i.e. testing methods, number of people involved in the study, etc). Since you seem to feel this indicated intentional dishonesty on my part and since it seems you weren't able to find what Google returned on the first try for me, I'll post the URLs here. As I stated, the information is quite limited but the tie between animal products, particularly dairy, and asthma is quite well known and well documented. If you look, it should be quite easy for you to locate such data. Since cutting out all animal products means cutting out dairy, then it should be no surprise that a vegan diet would show a reduction in the symptoms of asthma as well as eczema and at least a few other reactions suspected or known to be allergic in nature.
    -----------

    http://www.pcrm.org/health/PDFs/info_vegfoods.pdf

    A 1985 Swedish study demonstrated that asthmatics who practice a vegan diet for a full year have a marked decrease in their need for medications, and in their frequency and severity of asthma attacks. Twenty-two of the 24 subjects reported improvement by the end of the year. Dairy allergies may be part of the reason.

    http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C118126.html
    Journal of Asthma 1985; 22:44, p.13

    BTW, Nice try on the "BeasTT" nick, but alas, it's just "Beastt"... nothing to do with Time Trialing. In fact, the nick is older than my involvment in cycling so one has nothing to do with the other.

    😉

  4. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Cowboyathlete
    In other words, avoid all the major sources of protein????? That alone makes me very skeptical of this study, if indeed this is what they found.

    You might be interested in some of the information (on both sides of the issue), posted in the "Can you consume too much protein?" thread. By almost every measure, people in America actually consume far more protein than required and by some measures, may actually be suffering a number of health problems as a result. As always, opinions and even research data are in opposition on this matter (I'll trust Roadie_Scum to quickly demonstrate that), but what isn't argued by anyone that I'm aware of is that humans require protein intake between 2% and 10% of total calories depending on personal metabolism, genetics, ect. Ten percent is listed as the maximum required. The "standard American diet" provides about 30% of calories from protein and that figure is climbing. If you begin to check the protein content of many non-animal based foods, you quickly find that any resonable diet which is devoid of such animal based foods still provides more than sufficient protein.

    The protein myth in this country, (the U.S.), is quickly being joined by other misinformation and misunderstandings of information such as the aspirin/heart attack link. The reason is simple -- profit. Watch a few television commercials and those who have no true understanding of what a heart attack is, what causes it and how to avoid the circumstances which lead to heart attack might easily conclude that heart attack is the result of an aspirin deficiency. Of course people with a degree of intelligence and common sense will suspect that in addition to aspirin having some beneficial effects for people already in a condition which makes them prone to heart attack, the aspirin companies have taken every advantage to turn the common lack of understanding into a tremendous profit. Most people, would probably prefer to avoid the circumstances which make them prime candidates for a heart attack but you won't find the aspirin companies pointing this option out. Much is the same with those organizations which profit from marketing protein-rich foods.

    Back in the 1940s several studies were done to determine how much protein humans need to remain healthy and which protein sources were the most beneficial. The studies were done using rats as test animals and the results were applied directly to humans. This remained the accepted standard for many years until in the 1970s it occurred to researchers that rats, being very different from people, might actually have different protein needs than humans. Additional studies were carried out which lead to the conclusion of 2% - 10% of total calories which is the accepted standard today. Despite this more appropriate information, the protein lobbies have continued to push their product based on the former, less accurate studies. This is why Americans are so concerned about ingesting sufficient protein. You find "good source of protein" in advertisements for many different kinds of foods. Indeed you can cut out "all the major, [commonly known] sources of protein", and still receive more than adequate protein. Some studies even go so far as to suggest that plant-based proteins are actually superior for human digestion and utilization than animal-based sources. Of course, as with everything else concering diet, there are opposing sides to this issue as well.

    Nutritionists have shown ties between some types of kidney disease and excess protein intake. The same link has been shown with osteoporisis and excess protein intake. Protein deficiency leads to a condition known as kwashiokor.

    The Mosby Medical Encyclopedia defines "kwashiokor" as;
    an early childhood malnutrition disease caused by severe protein deficiency and found mostly in Africa. Because calorie-rich starches such as breadfruit are available, the child may not lose weight. Eventually the following symptoms occur; retarded growth, changes in skin and hair pigmentation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, fluid accumulation, anemia, liver failure, and abnormal fiber growth in body tissues.

    One might ask themselves if they've heard of or know of anyone who suffers from osteoporisis or kidney disease, (with a possibility that the kidney degeneration may have been linked to excessive protein since there are many causes of kidney malfunction) and then ask if they have heard of or are aware of anyone who suffers or has suffered from kwashiokor. Chances are, if you live in the U.S., you have heard of and may have personal knowlege of either of the first two and no knowledge of kwashiokor. If you ate nothing but soybeans(35% protein), lentils (29%), garbanzo beans (23%), spinach (49%), mushrooms (38%), green peas (30%), cucumbers (24%), broccoli (45%), onions (16%), potatoes (11%), oatmeal (15%), millet (12%), lemons (16%), honeydew melon (10%), sunflower seeds (17%), almonds (12%) or even celery (21%), any one of those items, (and I assure you, this is the short list), would provide sufficient dietary protein. You might well suffer deficiencies in other nutrients but any one of these items, if ingested in quantities which supply sufficient calories will also provide you with more than enough dietary protein.
    Protein content obtained from Diet for a New America, Stillpoint Publishing, 1987.

    The point is simply, if you live in the U.S. and eat a reasonable diet whether it includes animal-based foods or not, you will ingest sufficient protein. It's simply not a problem here but with a properly misinformed public, it's a great advertizing gimmick.

    🙂

  5. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Beastt
    [B]I'll thank you quite kindly to refrain from making such accusations, Roadie. If you've done the web searches you claim you've done then you will have found at least some references to the study I cited. My original information was published in "Diet for a New America", John Robbins, Stillpoint Publishing, page 300, paragraphs 5 and 6.[/quote]

    You'll excuse me for not trusting sources like these as far as I can kick them.

    Quoted post said:

    Unfortunately, I was unable to find much in the way of specific published data concerning the method by which the study was conducted so I opted to refrain from responding until such time that I might be able to find information more specific to your requests, (i.e. testing methods, number of people involved in the study, etc).



    So, essentially, there is no way of knowing he import of the results (note that there are plenty of studies that don't really show what the authors claim - there is a need to reinterpret data in light of statistical analysis and further knowledge).

    Quoted post said:

    A 1985 Swedish study demonstrated that asthmatics who practice a vegan diet for a full year have a marked decrease in their need for medications, and in their frequency and severity of asthma attacks. Twenty-two of the 24 subjects reported improvement by the end of the year. Dairy allergies may be part of the reason.
    [/B]



    It sounds impressive, but you would need to know whether the group was weighted towards people with either

    (i) a proclivity towards allergy and allergic asthmatic reaction

    OR

    (ii) people who ate a poor diet before converting to vegan.

    A lot of the positives from vegan diets (and some studies make this error too) are actually positives of having a well considered high quality diet of any nature - omnivorous, vegetarian or vegan. Asthma is a special case because of the allergic reaction of some people to dietary factors, but my understanding (I will study hunt if you want) is that this is a small number. Also, Asthma is commonly brought on by minor infection and illness, so a diet with a carefully considered amount of macro and micro nutrients that boosts the immune system will improve everyones asthma, and quality of life, whether it has milk, fish, eggs, meat, or anything else in it.

    Do you have a link to the full study, or do we need to take yours and the authors word for it?

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    You'll excuse me for not trusting sources like these as far as I can kick them.

    You'll excuse me if I don't excuse you. The book is probably one of the best documented, diet-based texts available today. The last 36 pages of the book are small-print footnotes showing study after study, source after source for the material in the book. Perhaps this is why the book was nominated for a Pulitzer prize. I can understand that much of the information in the book may be contrary to your beliefs but that doesn't make the information inaccurate. In fact, the book is strongly backed by several other prominent nutritionists.

    Unfortunately, not ever single entry gives sources, complete copies of the studies cited, lists of participants in the studies and all of the other things people seem to demand when they wish to descredit information. Such is the case with the study I cited and I clearly stated when I originally posted that I was simply going to post the information to make it available. I was very careful not to make any claims one way or the other.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    So, essentially, there is no way of knowing he import of the results (note that there are plenty of studies that don't really show what the authors claim - there is a need to reinterpret data in light of statistical analysis and further knowledge).

    You are correct. The information was made available for whatever worth it may have to those who wish to explore the possibilities for themselves. I'm more than aware of the fact that the conclusions of any study are strongly reliant on the methods used, the credentials/integrity of the researchers and even the goal of the funding organizations.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    It sounds impressive, but you would need to know whether the group was weighted towards people with either

    (i) a proclivity towards allergy and allergic asthmatic reaction

    OR

    (ii) people who ate a poor diet before converting to vegan.

    A lot of the positives from vegan diets (and some studies make this error too) are actually positives of having a well considered high quality diet of any nature - omnivorous, vegetarian or vegan. Asthma is a special case because of the allergic reaction of some people to dietary factors, but my understanding (I will study hunt if you want) is that this is a small number. Also, Asthma is commonly brought on by minor infection and illness, so a diet with a carefully considered amount of macro and micro nutrients that boosts the immune system will improve everyones asthma, and quality of life, whether it has milk, fish, eggs, meat, or anything else in it.

    So I see in reading the last sentences of the above paragraph that you do indeed understand that the information may actually be beneficial to some number of people suffering from asthma. This was my reason for posting the information in the first place and if you re-read the thread, you'll even find one person who claims that removing dairy from his diet seemed to alleviate his asthma symptoms. That's a good thing. If one person reads the information, tries it for themselves and finds that as a result, they suffer less, that's another good thing.

    I really think you need to go back and re-read my original post on this topic. You seem to be misunderstanding my reason for posting it. It would also seem apparent that you come up a bit short on your knowledge of data concerning vegetarian/vegan diets and their positive affects concerning many diseases and disorders. The data, once objectivity allows one to take a fair look, is overwhelming.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    Do you have a link to the full study, or do we need to take yours and the authors word for it?

    I thought I was quite clear but apparently I was mistaken so I'll attempt to clarify once again; I posted the information that I had and have been able to find.

    Any study not available in its entirety can easily be challenged. How often do you require complete reproduction of the original documentation when you agree with the findings?

    An apology for accusing me of making up the information in the first place would have been nice, but apparently out of character.

    Diet is one interest of mine, psychology is another and the reflection cast by your need to challenge is quite detailed.

  7. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Beastt
    [B]
    So I see in reading the last sentences of the above paragraph that you do indeed understand that the information may actually be beneficial to some number of people suffering from asthma. This was my reason for posting the information in the first place and if you re-read the thread, you'll even find one person who claims that removing dairy from his diet seemed to alleviate his asthma symptoms. That's a good thing. If one person reads the information, tries it for themselves and finds that as a result, they suffer less, that's another good thing.[/quote]

    This is quite true, but you'd have to balance that with the inconvenience and frustration caused by posting that piece of information if people who suffer asthma but do not have a dietary trigger search for one. Perhaps the best thing is to try an elimination diet under medical supervision - I think the effect of 'putting the information out there' in the way you did suggests an extreme course of action for asthmatics, which is unlikely to be as beneficial as several other paths that can also be followed (for example, preventative medication, altered diet without strict veganism, warming up before exercise).

    Quoted post said:

    I really think you need to go back and re-read my original post on this topic. You seem to be misunderstanding my reason for posting it. It would also seem apparent that you come up a bit short on your knowledge of data concerning vegetarian/vegan diets and their positive affects concerning many diseases and disorders. The data, once objectivity allows one to take a fair look, is overwhelming.



    You'd best present this overwhelming data then.

    Quoted post said:

    Any study not available in its entirety can easily be challenged. How often do you require complete reproduction of the original documentation when you agree with the findings?



    Pretty much all the time actually. Before I agree with the findings.

    Quoted post said:

    An apology for accusing me of making up the information in the first place would have been nice, but apparently out of character.



    I'm sorry I accused you of making up the findings. I was beginning to doubt your authenticity when you went quiet, but I was (partially) mistaken. I'm not sorry for challenging the validity of advancing a vegan diet as a solution for asthma (though I'm perfectly happy for people to follow one if they desire it).

    Quoted post said:

    Diet is one interest of mine, psychology is another and the reflection cast by your need to challenge is quite detailed. [/B]



    Why the small writing? I don't think I 'need' to challenge. I just don't think what you said suggested is very constructive, or supported by substantial literature. You are free to show I'm wrong, and snap, I'm a vegan...

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    (Snip...)
    I think the effect of 'putting the information out there' in the way you did suggests an extreme course of action for asthmatics, which is unlikely to be as beneficial as several other paths that can also be followed (for example, preventative medication, altered diet without strict veganism, warming up before exercise).

    There is nothing extreme about experimenting for a few weeks by elminating animal products from the diet. Many people live very long, very healthy lives without ever ingesting animal-based foods.

    I'd certainly consider reducing intake of animal products to be less "extreme" than dumping a bunch of chemicals into the body hoping that the long-term affects won't be worse than the asthma itself. If one finds a degree of success, then they're free to, one by one, begin to include things back into their diet until they find the source.

    Keep in mind that the allergic reaction your spoke of isn't the only possibility. Eighty-nine percent of pesticide residues in the diet come from animal sources, (55% from meat, 23% from dairy, 6% from vegetables, 4% from fruits and 1% from grains). It has long been known that pesticides, (organo-haolgens, chlorinated hydrocarbons, etc.) depress the immune system and, in general, reduce the bodies ability to cope with environmental factors. Dropping ingestion of pesticides to 11% of the standard intake is obviously quite desireable and most likely even moreso for someone already suffering from a disorder such as asthma.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum

    You'd best present this overwhelming data then.

    No problem. I'll just start reproducing one page per day into this thread until I've completed the reproduction of several texts. Then, when I'm done, I can re-read about your distrust of any sources which present data which is in opposition to your beliefs and opinions.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    Pretty much all the time actually. Before I agree with the findings.

    Did you require research data about your diet once you were old enough to read or did you continue to eat what your parents put on your plate with little question or concern about any connected health issues? Do you eat a similar diet now to the one you were raised on or have you made significant changes?

    It appears that once you have found data to be sufficiently persuasive, you then require far more proof from any data that suggests otherwise. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that, it is simply human nature. The world is flat, the universe revolves around the Earth, dinosaurs were all slow moving, cold-blooded reptilian creatures and there is nothing unhealthy about smoking -- all examples of the same human trait.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    I'm sorry I accused you of making up the findings. I was beginning to doubt your authenticity when you went quiet, but I was (partially) mistaken. I'm not sorry for challenging the validity of advancing a vegan diet as a solution for asthma (though I'm perfectly happy for people to follow one if they desire it).

    Sorry, but you were completely mistaken in your accusation. None of the information I posted was made up, (certainly not by me), and I think you know that. You're welcome to challenge anything that sounds incorrect to you but there is a difference between challenging information provided and attacking the integrity of someone whom you don't even know.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    Why the small writing? I don't think I 'need' to challenge. I just don't think what you said suggested is very constructive, or supported by substantial literature. You are free to show I'm wrong, and snap, I'm a vegan...

    You've already been quite forthcoming in stating that if I show you that you're wrong, snap, you don't trust the sources.

  9. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Beastt

    Quoted post said:

    I'd certainly consider reducing intake of animal products to be less "extreme" than dumping a bunch of chemicals into the body hoping that the long-term affects won't be worse than the asthma itself. If one finds a degree of success, then they're free to, one by one, begin to include things back into their diet until they find the source.



    If by 'dumping a bunch of chemicals into the body' you mean correctly treating asthma with preventative and symptom treating medication, then my problem with the your point of view is exactly what I feared. Medication like salbutamol has saved many lives and has no known side effects (well, quickened heart rate and CNS stimulation maybe, but not harmful long term ones). The chemicals happen to be concentrated and measured into an accurate dose, and they also happen to save and improve lives on a daily basis. Some chemicals are good for us in certain circumstances, others aren't. Asthma drugs are truly chemicals a lot of people (myself included) can be thankful for.

    Quoted post said:

    Keep in mind that the allergic reaction your spoke of isn't the only possibility. Eighty-nine percent of pesticide residues in the diet come from animal sources, (55% from meat, 23% from dairy, 6% from vegetables, 4% from fruits and 1% from grains). It has long been known that pesticides, (organo-haolgens, chlorinated hydrocarbons, etc.) depress the immune system and, in general, reduce the bodies ability to cope with environmental factors. Dropping ingestion of pesticides to 11% of the standard intake is obviously quite desireable and most likely even moreso for someone already suffering from a disorder such as asthma.



    An interesting point. What about using organic and biodynamic sources of meat?



    Quoted post said:

    No problem. I'll just start reproducing one page per day into this thread until I've completed the reproduction of several texts. Then, when I'm done, I can re-read about your distrust of any sources which present data which is in opposition to your beliefs and opinions.



    How about restricting yourself to peer reviewed literature, and just providing links?

    Quoted post said:

    Did you require research data about your diet once you were old enough to read or did you continue to eat what your parents put on your plate with little question or concern about any connected health issues? Do you eat a similar diet now to the one you were raised on or have you made significant changes?



    No, I didn't require research data when I was old enough to read. I would require good evidence to go to the trouble of making radical changes (I don't consider my own 'feel' over a 1 month period to be a good test - what if I happen to catch a virus, or get rid of one). And actually, my diet has radically altered in certain respects. For example, I now eat substantially more carbohydrate (40-60g/hour) when engaging in aerobic exercise, and I make sure to eat 1-1.5g/kg body weight of carbohydrate and some protein after long or intense exercise. It's not too hard to find good peer reviewed sources for this stuff, it's recommended by the AIS, and almost all leading experts in sports science and medicine. That justifies a change. What you are suggesting has substantially less clear literature behind it, and doesn't enjoy such wide ranging support. Not to say you don't make some interesting points, but that's the way it is.

    Quoted post said:

    It appears that once you have found data to be sufficiently persuasive, you then require far more proof from any data that suggests otherwise. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that, it is simply human nature. The world is flat, the universe revolves around the Earth, dinosaurs were all slow moving, cold-blooded reptilian creatures and there is nothing unhealthy about smoking -- all examples of the same human trait.



    Um... I used to think eating during exercise made you soft... I used to think lots of things...

    It's not that you're totally wrong, it's that pushing dietary change is a very odd approach with Asthma (in most cases - try a strict elimination diet under medical supervision if your doctor thinks this is a good idea), and suggests that you have a far wider belief about diet that colours your view with respect to Asthma. You present one study about veganism and asthma, potentially explained away by dairy allergen reaction. Try salbutamol... now there's a solution...

    Also, I think most people find disrupting and changing their eating patterns reasonably difficult, not the easiest solution in the world.

    Quoted post said:

    Sorry, but you were completely mistaken in your accusation. None of the information I posted was made up, (certainly not by me), and I think you know that. You're welcome to challenge anything that sounds incorrect to you but there is a difference between challenging information provided and attacking the integrity of someone whom you don't even know.



    I was incorrect in saying it was made up (actually I didn't say that, I just suggested it was a possibility given how you'd gone quiet), which I have already acknowledged. I was not incorrect in challenging the validity of your views.

    Quoted post said:

    You've already been quite forthcoming in stating that if I show you that you're wrong, snap, you don't trust the sources. [/B]



    You haven't actually addressed the methodological points made about the ONE study you have thus far presented.

  10. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    If by 'dumping a bunch of chemicals into the body' you mean correctly treating asthma with preventative and symptom treating medication, then my problem with the your point of view is exactly what I feared. Medication like salbutamol has saved many lives and has no known side effects (well, quickened heart rate and CNS stimulation maybe, but not harmful long term ones). The chemicals happen to be concentrated and measured into an accurate dose, and they also happen to save and improve lives on a daily basis. Some chemicals are good for us in certain circumstances, others aren't. Asthma drugs are truly chemicals a lot of people (myself included) can be thankful for.

    It's not that I don't believe that certain chemicals under certain conditions can provide us with a healthier and happier life. Certainly they can. But if the option is there to avoid eating certain foods that seem to provide us with the same benefits, then that's most likely the safer, more natural way to go.
    If, in some cases, the asthma is triggered by certain foods or impurities in certain foods then is it not better to remove the cause of the probem than to use chemicals to mask the symptoms of the problem?
    When you speak of "accurate doses" and "correctly treating" you indicate a level of faith in today's medicine that I do not share with you.
    As an example, should you go to a doctor suffering arrhythmia or tachycardia, the "correct treatment" in the western United States is some form of digitalis whether it be a synthetic such as Lanoxin or a derivative of foxglove containing non-synthetic digoxin. In many eastern states the "correct treatment" is an IV containing magnesium, (start there and move on to something else if the magnesium doesn't eliminate symptoms and diagnostic signs). The digoxin/Lanoxin treatment is by far the most toxic to the system and should you be prescribed such a treatment it will come with a long list of things you should avoid and warnings concerning the toxicity of the drug. On that list you will find warnings to avoid calcium, magnesium and potassium which are quite possibly the three electrolytes which are out of balance and leading to the problem to begin with. The reason the "correct treatment" varies isn't because people's physiology changes when they cross the Mississippi. It's a matter of medical standards which are set for particular areas. Any doctor who deviates from these, regardless of whether the doctor happens to know that one treatment is superior to another, is leaving him/herself open to a law suit. The medical review boards who, like it or not, have more or less put politics ahead of medicine, won't support any doctor who deviates from the medical standards they set. You'll find this at every level of medicine today. Try calling an EMD center for a friend or family member who is suffering a severe rectal hemorrhage. Know what they'll tell you to do? Treat for shock, (fine), and place a clean cloth over the point of the hemorrhage and apply direct pressure. Both you and I know that you're not going to be able to reach the point of hemorrhage in most cases and attempting to do so certainly isn't going to help control the hemorrhage. In most cases the dispatcher is probably aware of that too, but... that's the medical standard set for Emergency Medical Dispatchers. They have to follow those instructions or face the possibility of a law suit without support of NAEMD or whom ever has supplied them with the standards to follow.

    A friend of mine found themselves being prescribed Digitalis for arrhythmias. After a week they found that they felt sluggish, slightly dizzy and not at all well. They returned to the doctor who ordered a blood test. They were suffering from a build up of digoxin. Their dosage was lowered and they were sent home. The symptoms of digoxin toxicity leveled for a time but then began to get worse again. A subsequent blood test showed that they were still suffering from digoxin building up in the tissues and effectively bringing the dosage above the proper level. Since the dosage they were then taking was the minimum available, another drug, the name of which I don't recall, was prescribed to counter the effects of the digoxin. It was the classic, "take this drug for the disorder and this other drug to counter the problems that the first drug will cause." All the while a check of electrolytes and a simple magnesium, calcium or potassium suppliment might well have corrected the problem and done so with 24-hours.

    And, no, this is not the only occurence of this I'm personally aware of. I know of a second person who followed pretty much the same routine except they waited so long that they were barely able to get to the doctor's office due to severe bradycardia caused by digoxin toxicity. They lost faith in the prescribed treatment by the doctor, picked up a $12 bottle of calcium/potassium/magnesium suppliments and by the next day found that their symptoms were gone. They tossed the Lanoxin they had been prescribed into the garbage. That was 4 years ago and the symptoms have not returned.

    I know a third person who began to suffer arrythmias and mentioned it to me. I suggested they see a doctor but, as additional information, I mentioned the possible electrolyte imbalance and the suppliment treatment for it and left the decision up to them. They picked up a bottle of calcium/magnesium/potassium suppliment that evening from the local health food store and by the next day had noticed that they had not felt a single obvious arrhythmia. I still talk to this person from time to time and they never did go see a doctor. The problem is gone and they never had to take digoxin or any synthetic that mimics digoxin.

    Almost every aspect of medicine today follows these "standards of medical treatment". It's designed to see that the worst doctors out there provide the same level of care as the best doctors, but as with anything that targets such designs, it falls well short of that goal and provides a number of problems in the process. Remember thalidomide, DDT and cyclamates... smoking?

    How about that little purple stamp the USDA used to place on meats to assure that it was prime, properly processed and healthy? Know why it went away for a number of years? If you don't, it was because the dyes used to stamp the meat as safe and healthy were found to be carcinogenic. Are you familiar with aspartame, the negative affects on health and the way it managed to get past the FDA? If you'd like a hint, Donald Rumsfeld, then working for Searle corporation, made 12 million dollars off the deal and the head of the FDA was removed and replaced with someone more willing to allow aspartame into the grocery stores.

    How about the surgery which became a popular treatment for angina back in the 1950s? The surgery involved the opening of the chest and ligation of the mammary artery. The idea was to increase the blood flow to the heart by restricting blood flow through the mammary artery. Then in the 1960s the American Journal of Cardiology published the results of a study which showed that the success of the surgery was nothing more than a placebo affect. The same was then published in The New England Journal of Medicine. Seventeen patients were scheduled for the surgery. Eight of those received the surgery, the rest received anesthetic and an incision but nothing more. The patients receiving the fake surgeries had the same rate of success as those who received the actual procedure. The procedure was abandoned but not until grotesque numbers of people had undergone a pointless and useless surgery. You can't blame the doctors. They were following the "correct treatment" of the day.
    http://www.worldchiropracticalliance.org/tcj/2002/sep/sep2002kent.htm

    Certainly medicine, doctors and surgery have a well-earned place in our lives. However, it's important to remember that the final responsibilty for our welfare lies with ourselves. Too much faith can be a bad thing. I often suggest to people that the difference between "faith" and "blind faith" is 5-letters.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    An interesting point. What about using organic and biodynamic sources of meat?

    Not a bad idea but one must understand more about the steps in the chain followed by these toxins. Pesticides are necessarily not water soluble. If they were, they'd wash off the crops with the first rain and the whole, expensive procedure of re-applying these chemicals would have to be repeated. Therefore the compounds are made to be fat soluble instead. This avoids the problem with rain washing them away and also makes them more effective since most, if not all, forms of life contain some sort of fat-based tissues. If you want a chemical to kill something, it's best to see that the chemical binds well with the body tissues.

    So you have your tiny grasshopper - part of a destructive mass of insects set upon destroying crops before they can be harvested. The bug comes along, lands upon a wheat plant and begins to chew away at the pesticide treated plant. The grasshopper dies and the plants live to maturity. The grain is then harvested and 80% of it is used to feed livestock. (The actual figure varies a little from wheat to barley to oats to corn, etc. but 80% is an accurate all-round figure for the United States.) All of this grain contains traces of the original pesticides which are designed to be very stable compounds. They don't break down quickly when subjected to sunlight, rain, etc. The grain is taken to a feedlot and poured into the rows and rows of feeding troughs and the cattle, (for example), happily munch away. Each mouthful adds a tiny portion of these pesticides to the fatty tissues of the animal. By the time the cow has consumed 16 pounds of grain, it has put on another 1 pound of beef. That one pound of beef contains almost all of the pesticide residues contained in the 16 pounds of grain. Day by day the cow continues to feed upon the slightly tainted grain and pound by pound the pesticides build up in the cow's tissues. Eventually, that animal is taken to slaughter, it's body is sliced into various pieces and these pieces of the cow make it to your refrigerator still containing all of the accumulated residues. Dinner time comes around and you consume this piece of the cow's body. The pesticide residues then transfer into your body tissues and begin to build up -- day by day, meal by meal. In speaking of animals that eat other animals, (fish for example), there are more links in the food chain and the problem is even worse. Tests in the U.S. show 99% of mothers milk contains significant levels of DDT. Only 8% of vegetarian women showed significant DDT contamination in their breast milk. The Environmental Defense Fund estimates that, on average, each (non-vegetarian) American now has 1.5 grams of DDT in his or her body. The use of DDT was banned in the United States in 1973. This speaks for the stability of the compound. It has a biological half-life of 8-years and an environmental half-life of 15-years. It may have been banned over 30 years ago but the meat in today's grocery stores are still contaminated with it as well as pesticides currently in use.

    Pesticide residues aren't the only problem of course. There are antibiotics which are routinely fed to animals in feedlots. Steroids help to make the animals grow faster and waste products found to increase the rate at which the animal gains weight are also mixed into the grain. Some of the waste materials commonly used include; sawdust, bark, newspapers, cardboard scraps, poultry litter, feathers, and industrial sewage. According to the USDA, cement dust may become a feed additive in the future because it produces a 30% faster weight gain than regular feed. Even the roughage which is so necessary to the digestion of ruminants has been replaced with plastic pellets (85% ethylene / 15% propylene), which are then separated from the animals waste, cleaned and re-used. And of course we are all now familiar with the practice of using offal, (slaughterhouse waste), as yet another food additive. This is another practice once considered "correct" and safe before the emergence of BSE, (mad cow disease).

    Common sense might suggest that feeding a natural vegetarian parts of other animals is bound to have some negative affects. But who would have guessed that these negative affects might be passed to those further up the food chain? Perhaps in reality, we have the food chain upside-down. The first animals to suffer in cases of drought and those that suffer the most are those at what we call the top of the food chain.

    Of course you asked about organic and biodynamic sources of meat and I have deviated from that question so I'll address that side of the topic now.

    These meats are commonly referred to as "free range" and labeled as such in the stores. Government standards require that an animal be allow free range for a minimum of 20 minutes per day before it can be labeled "free range". The rest of the time, most of the producers of free range meats are treating the animals in the same ways as factory farms with all the same chemicals and additives. You will, however, pay far more for these meats.

    FOOD FOR THOUGHT

    Factory-farmed animals contain as much as 30 times more saturated fat than yesterday's free-range, pasture-raised animals. Americans also now eat twice as much meat as they did 50 years ago.

    The common cold, as well as allergies to dust, cats and pollen, are more likely to go away when milk is taken out of the diet. No other mammal in nature drinks milk after weaning, nor drinks the milk of other species, as do humans. [Don't Drink Your Milk Frank A. Oski, Teach Services; 9th edition (August 1992)]

    There are 20-30 thousand animal drugs currently in use. As many as 90% have not been approved by the FDA. Fifteen million pounds of antibiotics are used in animal production every year. In 1988, animal drug sales came to 2.5 billion dollars.

    The U.S. is the only completely industrialized country to still allow the implantation of hormones into beef cattle today. Because of the routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock, European countries have banned nearly all imports of American beef.

    Fish are magnets for toxic chemicals, often containing pollutants more than 70,000 times more concentrated than in the waters around them. According to an article in the February 1992 issue of a very reputable consumer magazine, a notable incidence of unacceptable levels of PCBs and mercury were found in some species of fish that were tested. Today, half the world's fish catch is fed to cattle.

    Organo-Halogens (such as DDT) are man-made compounds which disolve in fats but not water. Fish with more than 5 parts per million of these compounds can't be sold for food. Anything over 50 ppm must be specially labelled, treated and disposed of. These compounds build through the food chain, increasing levels by approximately 10-fold for each ascending level. Orcas commonly contain 400 ppm, balooga whales, about 600 pmm and bottle-nose dolphins as high as 6,900 ppm.

    No law in the U.S. requires seafood inspection. The FDA is for the most part, the only regulator over the fishing industry at all. Only 1,604 fish were checked by the FDA in 1989.

    Four different surveys of the U.S. milk supply were conducted by independent researchers between 1987 and 1989. The studies found between 63 and 86 percent of milk samples to contain sulfa drugs, tetracycline, and other antibiotics.

    The USDA does not inspect for trichinosis in pork, and it is widely known that pork must be thoroughly cooked before eating. Still, about 4% of Americans have trichinella worms in their muscles which periodically cause flu-like symptoms.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    How about restricting yourself to peer reviewed literature, and just providing links?

    Not all of the material is available on the web. I often do include links when they're available but I often don't do web searches when I already have the material at hand in book form. As you can see from reading to this point, it's a complex subject and even skimming the surface of an explanation is a long, wordy process.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    No, I didn't require research data when I was old enough to read. I would require good evidence to go to the trouble of making radical changes (I don't consider my own 'feel' over a 1 month period to be a good test - what if I happen to catch a virus, or get rid of one). And actually, my diet has radically altered in certain respects. For example, I now eat substantially more carbohydrate (40-60g/hour) when engaging in aerobic exercise, and I make sure to eat 1-1.5g/kg body weight of carbohydrate and some protein after long or intense exercise. It's not too hard to find good peer reviewed sources for this stuff, it's recommended by the AIS, and almost all leading experts in sports science and medicine. That justifies a change. What you are suggesting has substantially less clear literature behind it, and doesn't enjoy such wide ranging support. Not to say you don't make some interesting points, but that's the way it is.

    To be totally honest, it was a completely unfair question for me to ask. I appreciate the straight-forward demeanor in your answer. My only point was that we often just accept things as being correct because our parents did and we pay little attention to the wisdom or lack thereof in many common practices. When those practices are challenged we want proof, data, statistics and references that we never required from our parents, nor they from their parents.

    "In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing." - Mark Twain

    The process described by Mr. Clemons applies to more than just religion and politics. I've learned the hard way that people are immediately defensive when the topic of chosen diet is approached.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    Um... I used to think eating during exercise made you soft... I used to think lots of things...

    We all used to think a lot of things. The more poignant point being that most of us still do think a lot of things, or perhap more accurately, fail to think about a lot of things because we've just accepted them from childhood and nothing ever suggested to us that they may be as inaccurate or inappropriate as those who assumed the world to be flat. "Looks fairly flat to me, must be flat. I wonder where the edge is." We look at that as being silly today but for the knowledge and culture of the time, it was perfectly logical.

    Such inaccurate misconceptions still exist today. We just don't know about them partially because we lack other pertinent information and partially because we quickly ridicule anyone who challenges long-held beliefs. Galileo spent the last 9 years of his life under house arrest for opposing the church and claiming that the Earth revolved around the Sun. He had data the church lacked and didn't want to see let alone admit that it had validity. He was convicted of heresy and only escaped with a sentence of "house arrest" because he agreed to publicly denounce his own findings. Again, the point must be made that such stringently held, though inaccurate beliefs still exist today and we're little more receptive to them now than we were hundreds of years ago, myself included.

    "If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him." - Mark Twain

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    It's not that you're totally wrong, it's that pushing dietary change is a very odd approach with Asthma (in most cases - try a strict elimination diet under medical supervision if your doctor thinks this is a good idea), and suggests that you have a far wider belief about diet that colours your view with respect to Asthma. You present one study about veganism and asthma, potentially explained away by dairy allergen reaction. Try salbutamol... now there's a solution...

    Simply posting the findings, though vague, of one study doesn't constitute, "pushing dietary change", to my mind. The point should be made that dietary changes should not be made under the supervision of a medical doctor. If supervision is sought it should be from a qualified nutritionist. Doctors, (in the U.S.) are not trained in nutrition. They're trained in the treatment of diseases and disorders, usually, as you've choose yourself, through drugs and/or surgery.

    At the 69th annual meeting of the American Medical Women's Association, one doctor drew knowing laughs when she told the audience about her lack of nutritional training.

    "We had one lecture -- on a Saturday morning -- and it wasn't compulsory. I don't remember what was in the lecture, because I didn't go."

    Only 30 of the 125 medical schools in the United States have a single required course in nutrition.
    [Kapleau, Phillip, To Cherish All Life, Harper and Rowe, San Francisco, 1981, page 59]

    A Senate investigation revealed that the average physician in the United States received less than three hours of training in nutrition during four years of medical school.
    [McDougall, John Dr., The McDougall Plan, New Century Publishers, 1983, page 7]

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    Also, I think most people find disrupting and changing their eating patterns reasonably difficult, not the easiest solution in the world.

    I certainly can't argue with you there. People tend to think with their tongues more than their brains. I've had many encounters and many debates with many people over many different forums and I always see the same resistance to the information provided. No one wants to make changes to some part of their life that they enjoy and, unfortunately, to some degree, people enjoy eating to tremendous proportion. (wink) Sorry, thought that was humorous for a moment. Anyway, the debate almost always ends the same way and it doesn't matter whether it takes hours, days or months to come to some sort of conclusion. The closing statement on the meat-eating side is almost always, "sure tastes good".

    Just look at the number of people willing to undergo stomach stapling, (restrictive or gastric bypass surgery) or shortening the digestive tract, (malabsorptive surgery) rather than limiting their food intake. As much as this may be the case that doesn't make it preferable in my opinion, and people should know of several options before making a choice that will affect their health. Such surgeries can be life threatening and it seems shameful to me to choose such options when there are simple, natural remedies available.

    Years ago I lost a friend to asthma. He had spent many months of his life in hospitals due to chronic, severe asthma and at the age of 18 was accepted to receive surgery which held some promise for him. He died on the operating table. No one can say for sure what other options he may have had but I think it's difficult to say that a month or two... even a year of experimenting with food choices would have been time well spent.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum
    I was incorrect in saying it was made up (actually I didn't say that, I just suggested it was a possibility given how you'd gone quiet), which I have already acknowledged. I was not incorrect in challenging the validity of your views.

    You haven't actually addressed the methodological points made about the ONE study you have thus far presented.

    I've addressed what information I was able to find numerous times. I wish I could find more for you and anyone else with an interest, particularly those that stand a chance, even a small chance of benefiting from the information. As it is, they'll have to make their own decision. If medication is their first preference, so be it. If they prefer to explore other means, which to my mind are far less radical and come with other health benefits, then so much the better.

    http://64.106.220.190/nutrition_book/d/asthma/

    http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/pveg1.htm

    http://www.all-creatures.org/murti/tsnhod-14.html

    I wish to close with an apology to those who started this thread. A great deal of space has been utilized in debating one tiny side-issue. Although I'm not sorry that I made the original post, I would have preferred that it be left for what it was. Perhaps in the overall scheme, the additional information I've been prompted into posting may yet help someone looking for options.

    Good luck and good breathing.

    🙂

  11. A correction to my above post;

    I think it's difficult to say that a month or two... even a year of experimenting with food choices wouldn't have been time well spent.

    Sorry, caught the error too late to edit.

  12. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Beastt
    Apparently there have been some studies done concerning asthma and diet. One such study performed at the University Hospital in Linkoping, Sweden put severe bronchial asthma patients on a diet devoid of meat, fish, chicken, eggs or milk. After one year 90% of the patients who finished the project reported major improvement in the severity and frequency of asthma attacks. Some of the patients were so improved that they were able to give up their asthma medication as long as they stayed on the diet.

    This seems in opposition to the majority of the literature.

    --------------------------------------------------
    Association of consumption of products containing milk fat with reduced asthma risk in pre-school children: the PIAMA birth cohort study.

    Wijga AH, Smit HA, Kerkhof M, de Jongste JC, Gerritsen J, Neijens HJ, Boshuizen HC, Brunekreef B; PIAMA.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12832666

    (link is to abstract)

    Frequent consumption of whole milk fat containing products by preschool children reduces the risk of asthma - study of 2978 children.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Food and nutrient intakes and asthma risk in young adults.

    Woods RK, Walters EH, Raven JM, Wolfe R, Ireland PD, Thien FC, Abramson MJ.

    Whole milk protects against asthma. study of 1601 participants.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Just to reiterate - a study of 24 participants, with no control group, studying something with a potentially substantial placebo effect such as a vegan diet, essentially contains no information whatsoever.

    How about a study with a control group, and a group with an improved omnivorous diet?

    Please explain the above studies beastt...

  13. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Roadie_scum

    How about a study with a control group, and a group with an improved omnivorous diet?

    Please explain the above studies beastt...

    The studies you have provided seem to suffer from all of the same deficiencies that you take such issue with concerning the study I originally posted. Certainly the one abstract does provide some methodology but within that methodology are some obvious exclusions which I'll address below.

    Though it is difficult to quickly and correctly address the reasons for the diverse findings of the different studies, there are distinct possibilities that exist which may help to explain the opposing outcomes. As you know and, if I recall correctly, have stated yourself, it’s no rarity for different studies on the same topic to show opposing outcomes. Among the reasons for that are the interests of those funding and involved in the studies. Case in point;

    ---------

    In 1971 the American Heart Association took a stand on the link between dietary cholesterol and heart disease. This didn’t fare well for many producers of foods high in cholesterol and the egg industry was one of the first to respond. They launched an ad campaign in which they claimed;

    “There is absolutely no scientific evidence that eating eggs, even in quantity, will increase the risk of a heart attack.”

    cited in Giehl, D., Vegetarianism, Harper and Rowe, New York, 1977, pg 6

    The American Heart Association responded by asking the Federal Trade Commission to prohibit this ”false, deceptive and misleading advertising.”
    Mayer, J., “Egg verses Cholesterol Battle”, New York Daily News, Oct. 9, 1974, pg 48

    A formal complaint was filed by the FTC against the National Commission on Egg Nutrition and their advertising agency, Richard Weiner, Inc. After study of the case by attorneys, the egg industry was told that its “chances of beating the law suit on scientific grounds are almost nil”.

    A lengthy court battle followed and as had been predicted by the egg industries own defense council, Judge Ernest G. Barnes ruled the ads to be “…false, misleading, deceptive and unfair”, and furthermore stated, “There exists a substantial body of competent and reliable scientific evidence that eating eggs increases the risk of heart attacks or heart disease… This evidence is systematic, consistent, strong and congruent.”

    In response, the egg industry designed and paid for numerous studies they hoped would give the appearance that the cholesterol in eggs is harmless. One nutritionist who read the studies commented:

    Of the six studies in the medical literature that fail to demonstrate a significant rise in blood cholesterol level with the consumption of whole eggs, three were paid for by the American Egg Board, one by the Missouri Egg Merchandizing Council, and one by the Egg Program of the California Department of Agriculture. Support for the sixth report was not identified.
    The trick is in knowing how to design your experiment so you will get the results you are looking for. To get little or no increase in cholesterol results, you first saturate your subjects with cholesterol from other sources, because studies show that once people consume more than 400 to 800 milligrams of cholesterol per day, additional cholesterol has only a minor effect on blood cholesterol levels…
    Well designed studies by investigators, independent of the food industry, clearly demonstrate the detrimental effects of eggs on blood cholesterol levels.”

    Subsequent studies by the University of Minnesota and the Harvard School of Public Health clearly showed the detrimental effect of eggs on blood cholesterol. Still the egg industry insisted that egg consumption did not raise cholesterol. A third study was undertaken in 1984 to resolve this issue. The results were published in the British medical journal Lancet. The test subjects were fed a daily dessert. Some of the desserts contained egg and some did not . Aside from the dessert the diets were identical and contained no eggs or other high cholesterol foods. Neither the researchers nor the test subjects knew who had eaten eggs until the test was completed, (double blind). After three weeks those subjects whose desserts contained eggs showed a 12% rise in blood cholesterol. The other group showed no such rise. A 12% rise in blood cholesterol amounts to a 24% rise in heart attack risk.

    When the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs met to establish guidelines for the nation’s food choices, the egg industry submitted five research studies which they claimed exonerated eggs. The studies were so confusing that Senator George McGovern asked the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute for an expert opinion on the validity of the studies. The Institute, after examining the studies, reported to Congress that the studies seemed deliberately designed to distort the facts. The Institute's impartial appraisal was that the studies were “seriously flawed… meaningless and should be discarded.”

    The Dairy Council is known to engage in similar tactics. A representative has been quoted as saying;

    ”Research supported through the National Dairy Council’s grant-in-aid program seeks to set the record straight about the influence of diet on heart disease. We cannot rest until our product is completely vindicated and put into proper perspective.”

    ---------

    In light of the above, my first question has to be, who funded the studies? Secondly I find it interestingly suspicious that the subjects of the studies were all 2-year olds. The human body is designed to consume milk to a certain age, after which the body’s production of lactase, (the enzyme necessary to digest lactose), first begins to decline, then drops off drastically. This is usually the cause of lactose intolerance. Children of the age in the first study still produce a fair amount of lactase. The second reference didn’t provide ages other than to say, “young adults”. None of the methodology was supplied for the second study making it impossible for me to even attempt to address the study’s findings.

    As is all too common, much about the testing methods was not disclosed, as was the case with the study cited in my original post. In regard to the first study you cited supporting milk as having positive affects, I saw no reference to a control group which would have consumed no dairy products at all. Wouldn’t this be important and automatically be included if one actually wished to determine the affect of dietary dairy products on asthma? As best as can be determined by the abstract, all of the test subjects consumed dairy products of different types but to different frequency. The actual difference in level of consumption was addressed no further than “daily” and “not daily”. Nothing was stated concerning quantity consumed, only frequency of consumption.

    Though the conclusion of the test is interesting, the fact that there was no control group, (ingesting no dairy), tends to nullify, to some degree the outcome of the test. This is, admittedly, similar to your complaints regarding the missing methodology in the study which I originally posted. Additionally, the abstract states that “food frequency data were collected”. This sounds suspiciously as though the original data concerning consumption was obtained via a survey-like process rather than under any kind of controlled conditions. I do find the test results interesting and worthy of further investigation but I cannot consider them to be conclusive any more than can the findings of the study I referred to in my original post – interesting, not conclusive.

    Since there is a possibility that the lack of lactose intolerance affected the outcome of the studies, it would be helpful to know the origins of the test subjects, especially those who showed symptoms of asthma. Race/origin seems to play a major role in lactose intolerance. Only 2% of Swedish people display lactose intolerance, 12% of American Caucasians, 75% of African Blacks, 89% of African Bantu and 98% of Thais. If sensitivity to dairy can vary to this degree, perhaps the affect of dairy products on asthma may also be, at least partially, dependent upon origin.
    http://wsrv.clas.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/lacdata.html

    The fact remains that the individual should have the option of experimenting with their own diet in an attempt to control asthma and there is nothing particularly risky about a vegan diet. You claim it is extreme or radical yet have no problem with taking medications which you stated produce increased heart rate and CNS stimulation. I’m somewhat less familiar with the extent of these side affects but I see a strong likelihood that they should be seen as greater reason for concern than reduced cholesterol intake, reduced pesticide intake and reduced fat intake – all products of a vegan diet.

    If the vegan diet, (or even just the exclusion of dairy), fails to produce substantial positive affects on asthma within a reasonable time period, the sufferer is free to seek other treatments for the condition. Obviously, if the severity of the asthma is potentially life-threatening, substantial caution should be utilized, such as maintaining known, effective medications within immediate proximity.

    During a short period of my childhood, I too suffered from asthma, though mild. At the time I consumed large quantities of milk and cheese. The asthma has since vanished but I do not consider this to be due to any diet change. I have, however, noted a very sharp decline in colds, (I no longer seem to get them), since making some dietary adjustments and beginning a regular exercise routine.

    🙂

  14. The PIAMA birth cohort study consisted of two parts: a placebo controlled intervention study in which the effect of mite impermeable mattress covers was studied and a natural history study in which no intervention took place. In this paper only data from the natural history part of the study are presented.

    Pregnant women were recruited from the general population with the help of 52 midwife practices and obstetric clinics in three different regions of the Netherlands; 10 232 pregnant women completed a validated short screening questionnaire on inhalant allergies. (17) Women with any one of the following self-reported complaints--asthma, hay fever, house dust allergy, house dust mite allergy or pet allergy-- were defined as "allergic" (n=2949, 29%). A random selection of 763 allergic women and 5084 non-allergic women were requested to join the natural history part of the study. Written informed consent was obtained from 3291 pregnant women (472 allergic (response 62%) and 2819 non-allergic (response 55%)). The participating children were born between July 1996 and October 1997.

    For funding and general details:

    http://www.iras.uu.nl/research/projects_env_and_health/eh02.php

    Was funded by dutch ministry for housing and environment.

  15. I have had asthma since age 5. Asthma is an inflammatory disease that is most effectively treated with antiiflammatory agents, bronchodilators, and other meds which block the triggering mechanisms that cause bronchospasm (wheezing, cough, chest tightness). Most people with EIA do not experience breathing probems while at rest or during routine ADL(activities of daily living). The mechanisms that actually cause EIA are not yet fully understood but it is thought that rapid deep breathing in cool environments may have a drying effect on the bronchial mucosa causing the bronchospasm. To properly treat asthma or EIA it must be properly diagnosed. In the case of EIA this may require spirometry with either an exercise or cold air challenge with subsequent measurement of Pulmonary function. Once a diagnosis is made appropriate medications can be prescribed to control the bronchospasm caused through exercise. I currently use a medication called ADVAIR. It is an inhaled medication that is the combination of two meds. One being a steroid the other a long acting bronchodilator. There is vitually no risk in taking this med as the steroid goes directly to target organ (the lungs) and very little actually goes systemic. With this med I never experience any discomfort while cycling or running. Only when temperatures dip below 25 degrees F will I add a puff or two of albuterol 1 hour prior to my exercise session. If you are experiencing problems such as EAI or bronchospasm with a diagnosis of asthma you need to medicate or have your meds reviewed by a board certified Pulmonologist. Trust me I've been there and I'm a Pulmonary Technologist so I can speak from experince and knowledge. AS for diet, I cannot comment on these studies but it seems obvious if you are allergic to certain food groups you may need to avoid them. Hope this response was helpful.

  16. Well said jshct... my point's always been that proper medical treatment (normally with medication) is the major thing that is gonna improve your Asthma. The studies I posted were just to point out the failings in the 'asthmatics should be vegan' line of thinking. You're spot on though.

  17. ** Salbutamol Side Effects **

    http://chetday.com/asthmamedications.htm

    Brand names: Ventolin, Easyhaler, Diskhaler, Proventil
    Side effects: Suspected to be a co-factor in asthma deaths, tremor, inner agitation, heart palpitation, muscle cramps, headaches, premature contractions during pregnancy, psychotic reactions.
    --------

    http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/j_hettich/salbutamol/project/appbody.html

    The side effects of salbutamol generally result from the drugs action on muscles such as cramps or tremors. Other side effects come from the drugs action on beta 1 adrenoceptors in cardiac muscle (500 time less binding than beta 2) generally causing vasodillation with resulting effect on blood pressure and the heart.

    More common side effects include: Aggression, agitation, cough, diarrhoea, dizziness, excitement, general bodily discomfort, headache, heartburn, increased appetite, increased blood pressure, indigestion, irritability, laboured breathing, light-headedness, muscle cramps, nausea, nervousness, nightmares, nosebleed, over activity, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, rash, ringing in the ears, shakiness, sleeplessness, stomach ache, stuffy nose, throat irritation, tooth discoloration, tremors, vomiting, wheezing, worsening bronchospasm.

    Less common side effects include: Chest pain or discomfort, difficulty urinating, drowsiness, dry mouth and throat, flushing, high blood pressure, muscle spasm, restlessness, sweating, unusual taste, vertigo, weakness.

    Rare side effects following the use of inhaled salbutamol include: Hoarseness, skin rash or hives, hypokalemia, myocardial insufficiency, heart failure, angina-pectoris, hypertension, severe cardiovascular disease, diabetes-mellitus, maternal-thyrotoxicosis.
    ---------

    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/showpreparation.asp?id=2321

    Salbutamol Side effects

    Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.

    Faster than normal heart beat (tachycardia)
    Unexpected narrowing of the airways (paradoxical bronchospasm)
    Low blood potassium level (hypokalaemia)
    Shaking, usually of the hands (tremor)
    Anxiety and restlessness
    Headache
    Awareness of your heart beat (heart palpitations)
    ---------

  18. Quoted post said:


    Faster than normal heart beat (tachycardia)
    Unexpected narrowing of the airways (paradoxical bronchospasm)
    Low blood potassium level (hypokalaemia)
    Shaking, usually of the hands (tremor)
    Anxiety and restlessness
    Headache
    Awareness of your heart beat (heart palpitations)
    --------- [/B]

    These side effects are almost all benign. The more serious ones are rare to the point that food allergy is probably more likely (yes, even to vegan foods). It remains the case that proper treatment of Asthma with drugs like salbutamol and inhaled steroids (where appropriate and reccomended by a doctor):

    i. can prevent death

    and

    ii. can allow asthmatics to properly enjoy exercise

    I personally struggle with asthmatics saying 'I have asthma, but I stop it by not exercising over a certain level' - with proper clinical control and warmups, almost everyone should be able to exercise right up to their maximum intensity most of the time.

  19. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Beastt
    ** Salbutamol Side Effects **
    http://chetday.com/asthmamedications.htm
    ---------

    How to spot something that shouldn't be relied on for anything:

    1. Site is advertising 'Nasal miracle cure'.

    2. Author's qualification is not given and may not exist.

    3. None of the information is cited to a reputable source. Or any source in fact.

    4. Someone called Chet is offering you 'information about how you can have
    safe, natural and rapid relief from asthma and allergies without
    side effects'. Possibly, Chet wants to make money from this.

    5. Digital Asthma Report available for only $19.95US, accepts all major credit cards. 'It changed my life...' 'Here's what a doctor [!] had to say...'

    6. Vitamins at wholesale! Whey protein cheap!

    7. Site says a side effect of salbutamol is premature contractions during pregnancy. In fact, salbutamol is used to treat premature contractions during pregnancy (an easy mistake to make, admittedly...) (See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=2286759 'Effect of salbutamol on premature labour. Singh VK, Sharma M, Rohatgi P.' for an example of this kind of use of salbutamol).

    8. Allows you to subscribe to 'daily good thought' (actually, that makes sense... these people probably only have them daily...)

  20. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Beastt
    [B]** Salbutamol Side Effects **
    http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/j_hettich/salbutamol/project/appbody.html
    [/QUOTE]

    This site accurately describes some side effects of salbutamol, it doesn't describe their frequency or their harmfulness (if any). It is also a chemistry project by an undergraduate student... better than Chet, but not great yet.

    I can accept the drug has side effects (of course it does), but putting them in big type with no explanation of the frequency or risk associated with the side effects is misleading and irresponsible. If you'd bothered to read further, you would also have read on this site (the one YOU linked to) that salbutamol gives fast short term relief of asthma, and is one of the top 150 most prescribed drugs in the world. With all those asthmatics out there taking sulbutamol, where are all the people dying, hands shaking and heart exploded? If the side effects were as bad as you make out, you'd have no problem finding extensive literature about them.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.