Breathing Exercises

ffvelazquezh

Aug 12, 2003
Recently, I have read something about Breathing Exercises, mainly Belly Breathing and an interesting reading from Ian Jackson about BreathPlay (BreathPlay approach to whole life fitness). Are there some physical evidence that this kind of breathing exercises can play an important role in the cycling improvement?? If somebody has practiced it, which are the result obtained?? Are there some another breathing exercise that can be recommended??

I red some advise on improving air intake and O2 consumption of lungs.
I use some of them.
-breath deeply.
-when training breath as much as you can
-hold your breath for 5-10 seconds when training easy

as a result I never huff-puff during intervals around 180 bpms
on hills or long sprints I can focus on my pedaling because my breathe is not pushing me slow down..

I've just purchased something called a 'Power Breathe' off the web. It claims to improve lung capacity by 6% (or something like that). Look this up and see what you think (It's expensive though, around $70). I've no doubt that other forms of breathing exercise can also improve your lung capacity, but not maybe by as much.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this post, or will come back to it, but there a number of secondary, yet powerful ways of increasing breathing capacity and comfort while riding.

Breathing is such an unconscious and habitual process that most people do not realize that they have greater potential in the area than the know. For instance, the diaphragm's expansion can increase, and the spaces in and around the ribs and rib cage can expand in many ways.

The problem (as I see it) is that you need to work with the process of breathing while you are relaxed and focused. Expanding new areas of functioning require you to notice and play with subtle sensations. It's hard to do that while you are riding. Lying down is better.

I created downloadable mp3 audios to improve breathing if anyone is interested.

Cheers - Ryan
http://www.utahfeldenkrais.org/feldenkraismp3.html

ryannagy said:
I don't know if anyone is still reading this post, or will come back to it, but there a number of secondary, yet powerful ways of increasing breathing capacity and comfort while riding.

Breathing is such an unconscious and habitual process that most people do not realize that they have greater potential in the area than the know. For instance, the diaphragm's expansion can increase, and the spaces in and around the ribs and rib cage can expand in many ways.

The problem (as I see it) is that you need to work with the process of breathing while you are relaxed and focused. Expanding new areas of functioning require you to notice and play with subtle sensations. It's hard to do that while you are riding. Lying down is better....
...Find an old school teacher of chi kung, pa kua or hsing i and discover just how differentiated, strenous and beneficial breathing exercises can be.

Try smoking for a few years then quit.. You'll notice great improvements once you quit :) Worked for me!

Hope this isn't off topic, but in some martial arts, breathing and releasing a concentrated breath or shout (known as a 'kiai) is said to generate more power in your strikes.

Breathing in many activities is key for power and efficiency, I've even heard of people using water bottles and balloons to increase their breathing efficiency (don't know if it works though).

Cheers,

C.B.

Perhaps I should modify my previous post a bit. I started learning about breathing when I began working out in a Gym. I found that during exercises on "stationary" equipment (treadmills, stair steppers etc) that I would take a deep breath every so often. This led me to realize that I was holding my breathe every so often.

Interestingly enough, I don't ever seem to hold my breath while doing "real" exercise, like running or riding my road bike.

fleshbroiler said:
...Find an old school teacher of chi kung, pa kua or hsing i and discover just how differentiated, strenous and beneficial breathing exercises can be.
Are you saying that they work with differentiating breathing in the midst of strenous activity? If so, would love to work with that.

ryannagy said:

Are you saying that they work with differentiating breathing in the midst of strenous activity? If so, would love to work with that.
Yes, I have had several teachers that used that technique, among others. Depending on the area you live, you may or may not be able to find reputable teachers of the aforementioned disciplines. Let me know if you have trouble finding one.

-fb

This thread actually inspired me to join the forum so here I am :)

Breathing has been a huge part of my life for nearly 20 years as a professional brass player and yoga enthusiast. Honestly, I am not sure if it is helping my cycling since I am not the fastest biker around here (although I can occasionally keep up with him!)

I do, however, have a 5 liter lung capacity, which is 1.5 liters greater than the norm for my height and age. This came from many years of playing the trombone, as well as yoga breathing and using "breathing toys" like the Voldyne or Breath Builder.

In my opinion, the greatest teacher of breathing technique was Arnold Jacobs, former tuba player with the Chicago Symphony (died 1998 I believe). Most of his teaching is available online.

http://www.windsongpress.com/breathing devices/breathing devices.htm

Hope this helps!