Breathing

frenchcycling

Jul 19, 2005
When you guys are riding how are you breathing? long deep breaths? short quick breaths? how about at higher intensities, how do you guys breath then? do u guys ever breath in until physically you can not breath in any more?

thanks

This is actually an interesting topic. I'm not even aware of my breathing cadence at low intensities, but at high intensities it gets up to ~100bpm. I first became aware of breathing cadences early in my cycling days when I went for my first trainig ride with a cycling buddy in Boston. This guy was (and probably still is) a legend in Boston, and a member of three Olympic road teams. At one point, we were moving at a pretty good pace and started up a long climb. This guy was at the back when we started up the hill. Midway up the climb he went by me like I had my brakes on and I couldn't believe his breathing cadence. He was breathing like a race horse in full stride. His breathing cadence was probably double mine. I paid attention and now I sound like a race horse when I'm going at high intensities.

The most efficient way of breathing is using the diaphgram. The so-called 'belly breathing'.

Great... i've never once wondered about my breathing while riding and have been comfortable and not short of breath or anything. Now I know on my next ride I'll be all curious and paranoid about it. That's annoying. :rolleyes:

frenchcycling said:
do u guys ever breathe in until physically you can not breath in any more?
Every 1/2 mile, whether high intensity or not, I "flush" my lungs with 3 long, huge, deep breaths. Result: my heart rate is regulated and I get a 2nd wind from it. Don't ask me why- but for me it totally works. I try to use my nose and breathe in through the diaphragm until I feel the muscles in my back stretch!!!

When I first saw the thread heading, I thought:

I don't care who argues otherwise, I am in favor of breathing! :D

I also do as 3_days, even though it is not completely conscious, but I do occasionally just take a deep cleansing breath whether cycling or walking on the treadmill... I thought it was just me. ;)

For my typical cycling I follow the rule of being able to hold a conversation, but that doesn't seem to be the real topic here.

I have allergies and mild asthma, and so this topic does interest me. I tend to try to breath deep full breaths when I am pushing myself. However after reading this thread, I really want to try the rapid breathing technique and see if I can bypass the labored breathing that results from many of my relatively short climbs.

My question is the timing.

Is the approach to start breathing rapidly as soon as exertion increases, or do you wait until the body responds with an increased need for oxygen?

Also, do you maintain the rapid breathing for some period of time after the exertion, or try to return quickly to a more normal rythm?

Any hints on how to develop a good breathing technique for a climb, whether or not you agree with rapid breathing?

dgregory57 said:
Any hints on how to develop a good breathing technique for a climb, whether or not you agree with rapid breathing?
i read about this technique in a french cycling mag. lay on your back and place a few books on your belly ( so that there is some resistance to your breathing). then take in deep breaths for 3 mins. take a one min rest, then do it again. do this whole thing 3 times. this shuold help strengthen your breathing muscles so that you can breath more efficently.

you train all the other muscles in the body, y not do the same for your lungs?

Breathing is a topic that has been covered several times in the past (search function). Basically, there is no advantage to working on one's breathing technique for cycling or running - i.e. waste of time. Swimming is a different matter.

I have athsma and am not as fit as I'd like to be. I find using the inhaler before I start cycling and then consciously breathing "fully" (deeply) helps me to keep going. I guess if it "officially" doesn't make a difference then maybe training will naturally get your breathing up to speed anyway; I dunno. For me it feels like it helps.

On thing to correct my earlier post - at max intensity, my body tells me pretty much how to breathe - shortly after is when I "flush." On occasion, and never in traffic, I'll try and hold my breath a little ... just to see if I can force some kind of extra efficiency out of the ol' oxygen system - I can see how it might not be a good idea, but I'm full of "not good" ideas.

Also, when I "flush" my lungs, I exhale first really hard, then I fill 'em up ... Like I said, I don't know what it does but it seems to work ...

3_days said:
On thing to correct my earlier post - at max intensity, my body tells me pretty much how to breathe - shortly after is when I "flush." On occasion, and never in traffic, I'll try and hold my breath a little ... just to see if I can force some kind of extra efficiency out of the ol' oxygen system - I can see how it might not be a good idea, but I'm full of "not good" ideas.

Also, when I "flush" my lungs, I exhale first really hard, then I fill 'em up ... Like I said, I don't know what it does but it seems to work ...
This has nothing to do with improving the transport system of getting more O2 to where it is needed. You're just starving muscle tissues.

The idea came to me a few years ago when I was doing a little swimming. I was taking breaths on every stroke at first and it seemed a bit extreme - I changed my efforts to taking a "deeper" breath when I felt like I needed to breathe, instead of a lot of shorter breaths - also, I would be sure to exhale fully before going for more air. Of course, there were periods where my body demanded air, but I'd wait out the stroke or full exhale to get it. Anyway, the result I felt at that time was that I felt stronger and like I was getting "better air" out of each inhale (if that makes any sense).

Concentrate on breathing Out. Then your inhalation will take care of itself