Breathing

Herman Munster

Guest
Hi all, I have been lurking around here for awhile and have a question. I am very new to running. I
started a plan of diet and exercise around the middle of August. Doing great so far. Lost 20 + lbs
(although still a Clydesdale) and started running after getting started with walking, walking and
running, and now only walking on my "easy" days. I just ran a full 1.75 mi with hills (a new record
for me) I am enjoying it very much.. Anyway, my question. Now that the colder months are approaching
is there a certain technique I should be using for my breathing. I currently breath using my mouth
when running is this ok? I have tried breathing inhaling with my nose exhale with mouth, but my
allergies tend to get in the way. Any suggestions? TIA Mark

In article <[email protected]>, Herman Munster <[email protected]>
wrote: [...]
>Anyway, my question. Now that the colder months are approaching is there a certain technique I
>should be using for my breathing. I currently breath using my mouth when running is this ok? I have
>tried breathing inhaling with my nose exhale with mouth, but my allergies tend to get in the way.
>Any suggestions?

Breath through any and all available orifices, as frequently as necessary.

Oxygen is a good thing. You will come to appreciate it more and more.

Your mention of colder months suggests you may be worried about damaging your lungs by breathing
cold air. Don't worry about it. There is an annual marathon in Antarctica and nobody has hurt his
lungs breathing that air so far.

Terry R. McConnell Mathematics/215 Carnegie/Syracuse, N.Y. 13244-1150 [email protected] 229B Physics
Bldg http://barnyard.syr.edu/~tmc

"Herman Munster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Anyway, my question. Now that the colder months are approaching is there a certain technique I
> should be using for my breathing.

No. Just let it flow and breathe as the body wants. In reality even when you think your are
breathing through your mouth you are also breathing through your nose anyway. Don't think about
breathing so much. For a person who runs for exercise and health, as opposed to training, our body
will find a rythym that will work for you. Basically all you can do is screw it up.

As far as breathing cold air there is no problem. Almost everyome here, including myself, run in
cold weather and I cannot ever remember the air temp being a problem. I run in temps as low as 10
below (and others here far worse than that) and I think the cold air is refreshing.

Take a big breath before you leave the house. That should do it.

Switch sports, try pavement diving. You jump out of a tenth story window and flap your arms on the
way down to try to break your fall. If we don't hear from you again we'll know you didn't flap
fast enough.