breathing ?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Oscargrouch, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Oscargrouch

    Oscargrouch Guest

    i can only breathe to the right

    the left side of my body is tighter than the right from this, as my left arm works harder and more
    precisely from putting and holding my body in the breathing position...my left arm also gets tired
    faster than my right

    i also breathe every two strokes...not that i need to, but every 4 strokes is too long in
    between...obviously, i would ideally breathe every third stroke...the trouble is that i can't
    breathe to the left...i'm just totally spaztik at it, especially once i get my breathing and
    heart rate up

    how can i learn to breathe to the left as easily as to the right?

    (btw, i'm right handed)

    Tags:

  2. hello, I was having the same problem... then I tried swimming freestyle with a light board (not very
    sure about this word- I'm not English)... this 'board' helped me a lot with keeping balance while
    trying to breathe from both sides... and (what may be weird) helped me with the turn as well -
    always with my legs 2gether etc.

    hope to have helped You.

    regards / pozdrawiam Charles / KarolYanar

    > i can only breathe to the right
    >
    > the left side of my body is tighter than the right from this, as my left
    arm
    > works harder and more precisely from putting and holding my body in the breathing position...my
    > left arm also gets tired faster than my right
    >
    > i also breathe every two strokes...not that i need to, but every 4 strokes is too long in
    > between...obviously, i would ideally breathe every third stroke...the trouble is that i can't
    > breathe to the left...i'm just
    totally
    > spaztik at it, especially once i get my breathing and heart rate up
    >
    > how can i learn to breathe to the left as easily as to the right?
    >
    > (btw, i'm right handed)

  3. 4precious

    4precious Guest

    "oscargrouch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > i can only breathe to the right
    >
    > the left side of my body is tighter than the right from this, as my left arm works harder and more
    > precisely from putting and holding my body in the breathing position...my left arm also gets tired
    > faster than my right
    >
    > i also breathe every two strokes...not that i need to, but every 4 strokes is too long in
    > between...obviously, i would ideally breathe every third stroke...the trouble is that i can't
    > breathe to the left...i'm just totally spaztik at it, especially once i get my breathing and
    > heart rate up
    >
    > how can i learn to breathe to the left as easily as to the right?
    >
    > (btw, i'm right handed)

    I don't think you have a problem.

    But you may want to try and give more body-assist to your left arm pull. I swim the same way you do
    but my left arm rarely gets tired. That's because it's deep in the water with big rotation to the
    left side. As you rotate back to the right, you've got a lot of potential power in that motion
    which you can use to pull your arm up and back. Most elites will bend their elbow midway through
    this phase as well. Think about initiating the pull on the left side by driving your right hip down
    into the water. The left arm comes along for the ride to a certain extent, and therefore is not
    overly taxed.

    If you're determined, I would suggest breathing left side during warm-up, drill sets, and cooldown.
    But it won't necessarily make you any faster, because it's not directly helping your swimming style.

    Eric

  4. > hello, I was having the same problem... then I tried swimming freestyle with a light board (not
    > very sure about
    this
    > word- I'm not English)... this 'board' helped me a lot with keeping
    balance
    > while trying to breathe from both sides... and (what may be weird) helped
    me
    > with the turn as well - always with my legs 2gether etc.

    hey, I am extremely sorry - forgot to mention that the board should be between your knees with a moon-
    like shape turned to the inside of the board ... :) it seems to be clear now.. bye ;]

  5. oscargrouch wrote:

    > i can only breathe to the right
    >
    > the left side of my body is tighter than the right from this, as my left arm works harder and more
    > precisely from putting and holding my body in the breathing position...my left arm also gets tired
    > faster than my right

    I started off breathing to the right.

    It took me YEARS to do bilateral breathing without thinking. Just take it slowly and maybe see a
    swim instructor for a few lessons.

    gtoomey

  6. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    "oscargrouch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > i can only breathe to the right
    >
    > the left side of my body is tighter than the right from this, as my left arm works harder and more
    > precisely from putting and holding my body in the breathing position...my left arm also gets tired
    > faster than my right
    >
    > i also breathe every two strokes...not that i need to, but every 4 strokes is too long in
    > between...obviously, i would ideally breathe every third stroke...the trouble is that i can't
    > breathe to the left...i'm just totally spaztik at it, especially once i get my breathing and
    > heart rate up
    >
    > how can i learn to breathe to the left as easily as to the right?
    >
    > (btw, i'm right handed)

    If you want swim breathing both sides the only tip is: practice, practice and practice. :)
    Try some stretching to your left side so as to it to become more confortable. Something I
    do is: always to breath to the same side *of the pool* when breathing every 2 or 4 strokes.
    Meaning, always to look to the wall clock side, for instance. This way I breathe to my
    right side when going and to the my left when coming back. This way I have a equal amount
    of time breathing right and left, and, I have been doing it for years. It is also very
    simple to an air starving mind, "Look to *that* side!", instead of "Which side now?" ;)

    Nelson

  7. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

    > breathing position...my left arm also gets tired faster than my right

    switch to jaggin off w/ ya left hand to build up strength...

    ;-D

  8. Oscargrouch

    Oscargrouch Guest

    geez, i thought this was a wholesome, family group

    "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > breathing position...my left arm also gets tired faster than my right
    > >

    > switch to jaggin off w/ ya left hand to build up strength...
    >
    > ;-D

  9. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

    whuts the fun in that??

    "oscargrouch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > geez, i thought this was a wholesome, family group
    >

    > "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > breathing position...my left arm also gets tired faster than my right
    > > >

    > > switch to jaggin off w/ ya left hand to build up strength...
    > >
    > > ;-D

  10. Al

    Al Guest

  11. Oscargrouch

    Oscargrouch Guest

  12. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

  13. Oscargrouch

    Oscargrouch Guest

    or getting urinated on?

    "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > only when i'm eating ass.... :)
    >

    > "oscargrouch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > yeah...i suspect this Zgirl is some kinda dog or other animal
    > >

    > > "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > > > says...
    > > >
    > > > Welcome to the jungle :). Al

  14. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest