Breezer Uptown8 for a Chicago year round bike commute?

Jay

Guest
OK, I promise...this bike purchase will soon be behind all of us. My
patience is wearing thin. I really hate shopping.

The Breezer Uptown8 from Sheldon looks mostly OK, however, a few caveats;

http://tinyurl.com/2eq2s6

Should I go with the telescopic fork option? I see the fork option is 37 lbs
total weight, which is 2.5 lbs heavier than their standard fork. We all know
that 2.5 lbs is not a trivial weight to carry on a bike. But if I need this
feature, I will do it. 'Reliability and low maintenance' is my mantra. I
will pay extra to get it. (Please keep in mind 210 lbs rider weight + 30 lbs
cargo.)

And what's up with the Breezer brake selection? If the RBT expert consensus
is 'Jay needs hub brakes', why does this 'commuter bike' seem to only offer
rim brakes? Unless I am missing something obvious, which would not be the
first time?

Out of breath - J.

On Feb 2, 5:57 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK, I promise...this bike purchase will soon be behind all of us. My
> patience is wearing thin. I really hate shopping.
>
> The Breezer Uptown8 from Sheldon looks mostly OK, however, a few caveats;
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2eq2s6

That's a great bike. I rode a nearly identical bike for years in
Chicago slop. Upright, but not too upright, classy, but not too
flashy. The hub will require nothing of you short of a five second
cable adjustment a couple times as the kit beds in.

> Should I go with the telescopic fork option? I see the fork option is 37 lbs
> total weight, which is 2.5 lbs heavier than their standard fork. We all know
> that 2.5 lbs is not a trivial weight to carry on a bike. But if I need this
> feature, I will do it. 'Reliability and low maintenance' is my mantra. I
> will pay extra to get it. (Please keep in mind 210 lbs rider weight + 30 lbs
> cargo.)

I never found the roads of Chicago rough enough to warrant any
suspension short of tires. You could drop the weight even further by
dispensing with the doinger post.

> And what's up with the Breezer brake selection? If the RBT expert consensus
> is 'Jay needs hub brakes', why does this 'commuter bike' seem to only offer
> rim brakes? Unless I am missing something obvious, which would not be the
> first time?

My Nexus bike had cantis fitted with Kool Stops up front and a Shimano
roller brake in rear. Seemed to be a perfect combo. The Kool Stops
have a "plow tip" which seems to be hype, but I found that if you
brake lightly at first, they act like a little windshield wiper
clearing the rim of goop before ya brake firmly. Rim brakes are fine
in Chicago. Compared to Seattle, there are much fewer genuinely sloppy
days where you're getting funk on your rims.

The vee brakes on the Breezer are just fine. Do replace the pads if
they don't please you. I also like to set the spring tension as high
as possible on them for better feel. That's a little trick I learned
from the boys at the LBS quite recently. It's what's convinced me that
vees aren't just a passing fad. I really like the Tektros on my city
bike.

Are drums good? Sure--but you gotta understand how the Dutch want
their bikes to function, like appliances, where you basically replace
chains as they rust off.

On Feb 3, 12:30 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 5:57 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OK, I promise...this bike purchase will soon be behind all of us. My
> > patience is wearing thin. I really hate shopping.

> > The Breezer Uptown8 from Sheldon looks mostly OK, however, a few caveats;

> >http://tinyurl.com/2eq2s6

> That's a great bike. I rode a nearly identical bike for years in
> Chicago slop. Upright, but not too upright, classy, but not too
> flashy. The hub will require nothing of you short of a five second
> cable adjustment a couple times as the kit beds in.
>

> > Should I go with the telescopic fork option? I see the fork option is 37lbs
> > total weight, which is 2.5 lbs heavier than their standard fork. We all know
> > that 2.5 lbs is not a trivial weight to carry on a bike. But if I need this
> > feature, I will do it. 'Reliability and low maintenance' is my mantra. I
> > will pay extra to get it. (Please keep in mind 210 lbs rider weight + 30lbs
> > cargo.)

> I never found the roads of Chicago rough enough to warrant any
> suspension short of tires. You could drop the weight even further by
> dispensing with the doinger post.
>

> > And what's up with the Breezer brake selection? If the RBT expert consensus
> > is 'Jay needs hub brakes', why does this 'commuter bike' seem to only offer
> > rim brakes? Unless I am missing something obvious, which would not be the
> > first time?

> My Nexus bike had cantis fitted with Kool Stops up front and a Shimano
> roller brake in rear. Seemed to be a perfect combo. The Kool Stops
> have a "plow tip" which seems to be hype, but I found that if you
> brake lightly at first, they act like a little windshield wiper
> clearing the rim of goop before ya brake firmly. Rim brakes are fine
> in Chicago. Compared to Seattle, there are much fewer genuinely sloppy
> days where you're getting funk on your rims.
>
> The vee brakes on the Breezer are just fine. Do replace the pads if
> they don't please you. I also like to set the spring tension as high
> as possible on them for better feel. That's a little trick I learned
> from the boys at the LBS quite recently. It's what's convinced me that
> vees aren't just a passing fad. I really like the Tektros on my city
> bike.
>
> Are drums good? Sure--but you gotta understand how the Dutch want
> their bikes to function, like appliances, where you basically replace
> chains as they rust off.

The Dutch would view that Breezer with horror. The designer cheaped
out with an obsolete cheap model hub dynamo (proven by the million
though, no doubt bomb-proof) and those rim brakes. But worse, he
doesn't know that certain details are essential. Where's the fixed
elastic over the rack? Where is the fitting to atttach such an elastic
to? Where are the coat protectors, so Jay can go to the office or
weddings or funerals on his bike and wear a suit and overcoat without
getting them filthy. Where are the pump and the permanent fittings to
fit it to the frame? Some details are admirable: those LED BUMM are
seriously good lights.

Andre Jute
Value for money, an old-fashioned concept

On Feb 3, 12:57 am, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK, I promise...this bike purchase will soon be behind all of us. My
> patience is wearing thin. I really hate shopping.
>
> The Breezer Uptown8 from Sheldon looks mostly OK, however, a few caveats;
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2eq2s6
>
> Should I go with the telescopic fork option? I see the fork option is 37 lbs
> total weight, which is 2.5 lbs heavier than their standard fork. We all know
> that 2.5 lbs is not a trivial weight to carry on a bike. But if I need this
> feature, I will do it. 'Reliability and low maintenance' is my mantra. I
> will pay extra to get it. (Please keep in mind 210 lbs rider weight + 30 lbs
> cargo.)
>
> And what's up with the Breezer brake selection? If the RBT expert consensus
> is 'Jay needs hub brakes', why does this 'commuter bike' seem to only offer
> rim brakes? Unless I am missing something obvious, which would not be the
> first time?
>
> Out of breath - J.

Forget the suspension fork (and seatpost) as it will just add
complexity and be a potential point of failure. At best it will add
some slop to the front end.

As for needing hub brakes, they are perhaps preferable if you are
building up a bike from scratch, but by no means the only solution.
The pitch on the page doesn't sound like a year round Chicago commuter
was the goal, though I'm sure the bikes will perform well.

I think you would do better building your own in terms of price and
suitability to the task at hand. Also, IMO, the 8-speed Nexus is
overkill and adds significant expense. The Nexus 3 should be more than
enough.

Joseph

[email protected] aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> As for needing hub brakes, they are perhaps preferable if you are
> building up a bike from scratch, but by no means the only solution.
> The pitch on the page doesn't sound like a year round Chicago commuter
> was the goal, though I'm sure the bikes will perform well.

Rim brakes work distressingly poorly when the rim is covered with snow,
ice or the salt slush common to the upper Midwest.

> I think you would do better building your own in terms of price and
> suitability to the task at hand. Also, IMO, the 8-speed Nexus is
> overkill and adds significant expense. The Nexus 3 should be more than
> enough.

Why do so many of these posts give the impression that Shimano is the
only company to make internally geared hubs (in the sub Rohloff category)?

The SRAM P5 with integral i-Brake would likely be a fine choice for
Jay's Chicagoland commute.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Feb 3, 6:25 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:> ...
> > As for needing hub brakes, they are perhaps preferable if you are
> > building up a bike from scratch, but by no means the only solution.
> > The pitch on the page doesn't sound like a year round Chicago commuter
> > was the goal, though I'm sure the bikes will perform well.

> Rim brakes work distressingly poorly when the rim is covered with snow,
> ice or the salt slush common to the upper Midwest.

Are you lying because it satisfies some inner need, or are you really
so terrible a mechanic to believe your own ********? Rim brakes work
fine in slop--if you set them up right. Ultimately they're as good or
better than drums given the conditions, albeit with potential for rim
wear--something that's not expensive or hard to swap out every couple
years.

Tom Sherman said:
[email protected] aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> As for needing hub brakes, they are perhaps preferable if you are
> building up a bike from scratch, but by no means the only solution.
> The pitch on the page doesn't sound like a year round Chicago commuter
> was the goal, though I'm sure the bikes will perform well.

Rim brakes work distressingly poorly when the rim is covered with snow,
ice or the salt slush common to the upper Midwest.

> I think you would do better building your own in terms of price and
> suitability to the task at hand. Also, IMO, the 8-speed Nexus is
> overkill and adds significant expense. The Nexus 3 should be more than
> enough.

Why do so many of these posts give the impression that Shimano is the
only company to make internally geared hubs (in the sub Rohloff category)?

The SRAM P5 with integral i-Brake would likely be a fine choice for
Jay's Chicagoland commute.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth
Wouldn't rule out the new Sturmey-Archer 5 speed either. I've been getting great performance from mine this winter.
Dan

landotter who? wrote:
> On Feb 3, 6:25 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> [email protected] aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:> ...
>>> As for needing hub brakes, they are perhaps preferable if you are
>>> building up a bike from scratch, but by no means the only solution.
>>> The pitch on the page doesn't sound like a year round Chicago commuter
>>> was the goal, though I'm sure the bikes will perform well.

>> Rim brakes work distressingly poorly when the rim is covered with snow,
>> ice or the salt slush common to the upper Midwest.

> Are you lying because it satisfies some inner need, or are you really
> so terrible a mechanic to believe your own ********?

Are you being a jerk because it satisfies some inner need?

How does set-up affect braking in when the rim is coated with water and
ice, oh great expert?

> Rim brakes work
> fine in slop--if you set them up right. Ultimately they're as good or
> better than drums given the conditions, albeit with potential for rim
> wear--something that's not expensive or hard to swap out every couple
> years.

How does a pad pressing against a wet rim work as well as a pad pushing
against a dry surface? The front of the pad can not remove the water so
the rear of the pad has a dry surface, as discussed previously on this
group.

Dan Burkhart wrote:
> Tom Sherman Wrote:
>> [email protected] aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
>>> As for needing hub brakes, they are perhaps preferable if you are
>>> building up a bike from scratch, but by no means the only solution.
>>> The pitch on the page doesn't sound like a year round Chicago

>> commuter
>>> was the goal, though I'm sure the bikes will perform well.
>>>

>> Rim brakes work distressingly poorly when the rim is covered with
>> snow,
>> ice or the salt slush common to the upper Midwest.
>>
>>> I think you would do better building your own in terms of price and
>>> suitability to the task at hand. Also, IMO, the 8-speed Nexus is
>>> overkill and adds significant expense. The Nexus 3 should be more

>> than
>>> enough.
>>>

>> Why do so many of these posts give the impression that Shimano is the
>> only company to make internally geared hubs (in the sub Rohloff
>> category)?
>>
>> The SRAM P5 with integral i-Brake would likely be a fine choice for
>> Jay's Chicagoland commute.
>>

> Wouldn't rule out the new Sturmey-Archer 5 speed either. I've been
> getting great performance from mine this winter.

Yes, an AB5 [1] on the rear and a X-FDD [2] on the back would provide
for a low maintenance/low hassle set-up for those of us less talented
than the GREAT LANDOTTER.

[1] <http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_5spd_AB5.php>.
[2] <http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_fh_XFDD.php>.

On Feb 3, 3:37 pm, Dan Burkhart <Dan.Burkhart.347...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Tom Sherman Wrote:
>
> > [email protected] aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> > > As for needing hub brakes, they are perhaps preferable if you are
> > > building up a bike from scratch, but by no means the only solution.
> > > The pitch on the page doesn't sound like a year round Chicago

> > commuter
> > > was the goal, though I'm sure the bikes will perform well.

> > Rim brakes work distressingly poorly when the rim is covered with
> > snow,
> > ice or the salt slush common to the upper Midwest.

> > > I think you would do better building your own in terms of price and
> > > suitability to the task at hand. Also, IMO, the 8-speed Nexus is
> > > overkill and adds significant expense. The Nexus 3 should be more

> > than
> > > enough.

> > Why do so many of these posts give the impression that Shimano is the
> > only company to make internally geared hubs (in the sub Rohloff
> > category)?

> > The SRAM P5 with integral i-Brake would likely be a fine choice for
> > Jay's Chicagoland commute.

> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> > - A. Derleth

> Wouldn't rule out the new Sturmey-Archer 5 speed either. I've been
> getting great performance from mine this winter.
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Burkhart

That's what I'd use were I interested in building a hub brake
multispeed bike. XFD front, XRD5 rear. Those on a cheap steel frame.

Joseph

>> Wouldn't rule out the new Sturmey-Archer 5 speed either. I've been
>> getting great performance from mine this winter.
>>

> Yes, an AB5 [1] on the rear and a X-FDD [2] on the back would provide for
> a low maintenance/low hassle set-up for those of us less talented than the
> GREAT LANDOTTER.
>
> [1] <http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_5spd_AB5.php>.
> [2] <http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_fh_XFDD.php>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> - A. Derleth

It looks like there may be no US stock bike for my riding conditions. I
think 5 speeds is a good compromise. It gives me enough flexibility for
weather and conditions, and I don't think I need 8 speeds, or that extra
expense.

I have not had trouble stopping in time, because of wet rims. I am not
racing, and I am usually riding a well known route. I do want to get the
brakes out of the weather. Brake pads pressing against a rim sounds like a
design flaw to me, for all weather daily riding.

Building my own bike is well beyond my ability. Is there a US bike which
uses these hubs as standard equipment, or will use them as an upgrade?

I did not previously know, I am really talking about a Dutch bike, e.g.
Andre's Gazelle suggestion. But the idea of importing a bike scares me, and
with the weak US dollar, I am sure there would be significant additional
expense for that reason alone.

J.

> Are drums good? Sure--but you gotta understand how the Dutch want
> their bikes to function, like appliances, where you basically replace
> chains as they rust off.

I like the idea of a bike as an appliance. If Gazelle sold bikes through US
dealers, I would probably buy one.

J.

Jay Bollyn wrote:
>>> Wouldn't rule out the new Sturmey-Archer 5 speed either. I've been
>>> getting great performance from mine this winter.
>>>

>> Yes, an AB5 [1] on the rear and a X-FDD [2] on the back would provide for
>> a low maintenance/low hassle set-up...
>>

> It looks like there may be no US stock bike for my riding conditions. I
> think 5 speeds is a good compromise. It gives me enough flexibility for
> weather and conditions, and I don't think I need 8 speeds, or that extra
> expense.

Since you can always coast downhill, either the Sturmey-Archer or SRAM
5-speed hubs would be suitable, as long as the overall range was low
enough. Better to lack high gears than low gears, unless one has the
physiology of J. Brandt.

> I have not had trouble stopping in time, because of wet rims. I am not
> racing, and I am usually riding a well known route. I do want to get the
> brakes out of the weather. Brake pads pressing against a rim sounds like a
> design flaw to me, for all weather daily riding.

If nothing else, rim brakes in wet and/or slushy conditions will wear
the braking surfaces on the rims rather quickly; even with Kool Stop
"salmon" compound pads.

My experience with rim brakes and wet snow is that efficiency of braking
is markedly decreased.

Maybe some wonderful adjustment will cure the above problems, but I
suspect that is beyond the reach of us mere mortals.

> Building my own bike is well beyond my ability. Is there a US bike which
> uses these hubs as standard equipment, or will use them as an upgrade?

There are some bike shops who could do it for you. I imagine the
proprietor of one even posts to this group quite often.

> I did not previously know, I am really talking about a Dutch bike, e.g.
> Andre's Gazelle suggestion. But the idea of importing a bike scares me, and
> with the weak US dollar, I am sure there would be significant additional
> expense for that reason alone.

Is there any other place in the world that uses as much road salt and
has as many freezing and thawing cycles as the Upper Midwest?

A proper commuting bicycle for year around use in the Upper Midwest
would have the following features:

Hub gears and brakes, full fenders and chain-case for low-maintenance
operation in slop.

Dynamo hub (at least until fuel cell technology becomes more affordable,
compact and available) to have a dependable light source, and proper
mounting points for lights.

Clearance for wide, studded tires.

Sturdy racks.

Compact size for easy storage and walking - this mandates ISO 406 mm
wheels (if one is to have a more than a few tire choices).

On Feb 3, 5:56 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Wouldn't rule out the new Sturmey-Archer 5 speed either. I've been
> >> getting great performance from mine this winter.

> > Yes, an AB5 [1] on the rear and a X-FDD [2] on the back would provide for
> > a low maintenance/low hassle set-up for those of us less talented than the
> > GREAT LANDOTTER.

> > [1] <http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_5spd_AB5.php>.
> > [2] <http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_fh_XFDD.php>.

> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> > - A. Derleth

> It looks like there may be no US stock bike for my riding conditions. I
> think 5 speeds is a good compromise. It gives me enough flexibility for
> weather and conditions, and I don't think I need 8 speeds, or that extra
> expense.
>
> I have not had trouble stopping in time, because of wet rims. I am not
> racing, and I am usually riding a well known route. I do want to get the
> brakes out of the weather. Brake pads pressing against a rim sounds like a
> design flaw to me, for all weather daily riding.
>
> Building my own bike is well beyond my ability. Is there a US bike which
> uses these hubs as standard equipment, or will use them as an upgrade?
>
> I did not previously know, I am really talking about a Dutch bike, e.g.
> Andre's Gazelle suggestion. But the idea of importing a bike scares me, and
> with the weak US dollar, I am sure there would be significant additional
> expense for that reason alone.
>
> J.

It's only 3 speeds, but quite stylish:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230217153076

With shipping to Chicago $550.

When I say "build your own" I don't mean necessarily that you have to
assemble it yourself. A bike shop can do that, the more important
factor being you can specify components that suit your needs.

Or one of these fun bikes from your semi-local neighbors in Madison:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML

Joseph

On 2008-02-03, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:

> I did not previously know, I am really talking about a Dutch bike, e.g.
> Andre's Gazelle suggestion. But the idea of importing a bike scares me, and
> with the weak US dollar, I am sure there would be significant additional
> expense for that reason alone.

Or you could look at an Electra Amsterdam:

<http://www.electrabike.com/amsterdam/>

The Classic 3 sounds like it's be right up your alley, though the wheels don't
meet your criteria of being compact. There are dealers in Arlington Heights,
Harwood Heights, or you can talk to your new friends at Rapid Transit Cycle
Shop, as they deal in Electra as well.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
[email protected]

On Feb 3, 11:12 am, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Are drums good? Sure--but you gotta understand how the Dutch want
> > their bikes to function, like appliances, where you basically replace
> > chains as they rust off.

> I like the idea of a bike as an appliance. If Gazelle sold bikes through US
> dealers, I would probably buy one.
>
> J.

http://tinyurl.com/39389b

For $200, might be the ticket even as a spare to keep at work.

In article
<c5529d0f-e559-41ad-ae32-1ebdfb9a313b@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 11:12 am, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Are drums good? Sure--but you gotta understand how the Dutch want
> > > their bikes to function, like appliances, where you basically replace
> > > chains as they rust off.

> > I like the idea of a bike as an appliance. If Gazelle sold bikes through US
> > dealers, I would probably buy one.
> >
> > J.

> http://tinyurl.com/39389b
>
> For $200, might be the ticket even as a spare to keep at work.

Raleigh Twenty redivivus! I wonder what it weighs, especially relative
to the Raleigh?

"Kristian M Zoerhoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2008-02-03, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I did not previously know, I am really talking about a Dutch bike, e.g.
>> Andre's Gazelle suggestion. But the idea of importing a bike scares me,
>> and
>> with the weak US dollar, I am sure there would be significant additional
>> expense for that reason alone.

> Or you could look at an Electra Amsterdam:
>
> <http://www.electrabike.com/amsterdam/>
>
> The Classic 3 sounds like it's be right up your alley, though the wheels
> don't
> meet your criteria of being compact. There are dealers in Arlington
> Heights,
> Harwood Heights, or you can talk to your new friends at Rapid Transit
> Cycle
> Shop, as they deal in Electra as well.
>
> --
>
> Kristian Zoerhoff
> [email protected]

I have changed my mind, regarding my earlier requirement of 20" wheels. I
already have one folder, and I will ride it mostly in good weather. Or if I
expect to load it into a car, for my trip home from work. I have co-workers
who can give me (and my bike) a ride home, on occasion. So my return-home
commute is only one hour by car, instead of two hours by my regular
intermodal thing. 20" wheels are way easier to load into a car.

I have pretty well decided on a 5 speed rear hub, dynamo front hub.

I do in fact like RTC, but they are not on my route. I need to take at least
a 1/2 day off, to go there. But RTC obviously looks at bikes as *lifestyle*,
not simply a pleasant summer ride on a forest preserve bike path. It is hard
to describe the 'RTC difference' in a single paragraph. Anyone who wants
great bike service, on the north side of Chicago, should have RTC on their
list.

J.

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, I promise...this bike purchase will soon be behind all of us. My
> patience is wearing thin. I really hate shopping.
>
> The Breezer Uptown8 from Sheldon looks mostly OK, however, a few caveats;
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2eq2s6

My first (uninformed) impression was, breezer? How is a bike named breezer
going to work as an all-conditions commuter bike in Chicago?! It will
probably be fine for a winter commute in SF, CA, which is breezer's home.
They don't even know what winter is! Not that there is anything wrong with
that.

I really enjoyed Andre's Gazelle suggestion. And the Joseph / Kristian
alternatives were very interesting as well. But I still don't see a vendor
tailored for my admittedly extreme commuting needs.

J.

Jay said:
"Kristian M Zoerhoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2008-02-03, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I did not previously know, I am really talking about a Dutch bike, e.g.
>> Andre's Gazelle suggestion. But the idea of importing a bike scares me,
>> and
>> with the weak US dollar, I am sure there would be significant additional
>> expense for that reason alone.

> Or you could look at an Electra Amsterdam:
>
> <http://www.electrabike.com/amsterdam/>
>
> The Classic 3 sounds like it's be right up your alley, though the wheels
> don't
> meet your criteria of being compact. There are dealers in Arlington
> Heights,
> Harwood Heights, or you can talk to your new friends at Rapid Transit
> Cycle
> Shop, as they deal in Electra as well.
>
> --
>
> Kristian Zoerhoff
> [email protected]

I have changed my mind, regarding my earlier requirement of 20" wheels. I
already have one folder, and I will ride it mostly in good weather. Or if I
expect to load it into a car, for my trip home from work. I have co-workers
who can give me (and my bike) a ride home, on occasion. So my return-home
commute is only one hour by car, instead of two hours by my regular
intermodal thing. 20" wheels are way easier to load into a car.

I have pretty well decided on a 5 speed rear hub, dynamo front hub.

I do in fact like RTC, but they are not on my route. I need to take at least
a 1/2 day off, to go there. But RTC obviously looks at bikes as *lifestyle*,
not simply a pleasant summer ride on a forest preserve bike path. It is hard
to describe the 'RTC difference' in a single paragraph. Anyone who wants
great bike service, on the north side of Chicago, should have RTC on their
list.

J.
Excellent choice, but be advised, that almost certainly means a retrofit, as 5 speed gearhubs seem to be conspicuously absent from any OEM offerings I am aware of. The 5 speed SA with drum brake has an OLD of 119mm, so if you look to retrofit a bike originally equipped with a single speed coaster brake, make sure it is either a steel frame or the dropouts are wide enough if is not. SS coaster brake frames can be as narrow as 110mm, but I've got some here that are 125, so it should not be too hard to find one.
Another reason I suggest looking for a single speed coaster brake bike as a base platform is it will be certain to have horizontal dropouts, meaning you won't have to mess with a chain tensioner.
If all this has you thinking it's more bother than it's worth , then maybe you should consider going with an OEM model. Retrofits are more worth while if you have an existing bike you wish to upgrade.
Meanwhile, I see the 5 speed commuter as a niche waiting to be filled.
Dan