Brian Maxwell Dies

Onefred

Guest
Died at the tender age of 51 from a heart attack. Wasn't he
a pretty athletic fellow? It concerns me when I see athletic
individuals die at relatively young ages.

Is all this aerobic exercise truly good for our hearts?

Dave

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:41:51 -0600, "onefred"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Died at the tender age of 51 from a heart attack. Wasn't he
>a pretty athletic fellow? It concerns me when I see
>athletic individuals die at relatively young ages.
>
>Is all this aerobic exercise truly good for our hearts?

Exercise done yesterday is great for your heart today.
Strenuous exercise could, of course, immediately overload
the ticker...so fear the heart attacks while exercising, and
be fearless when resting. Umm...yeah, that makes sense.
--
Rick Onanian

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Died at the tender age of 51 from a heart attack. Wasn't
> he a pretty athletic fellow? It concerns me when I see
> athletic individuals die at relatively young ages.

What was even more shocking was Ed Burke's death in 2002.
While exercise is a powerful protection, it can't help some
conditions, and won't reverse all the consequences of other
poor lifestyle choices. There are a lot of thin, fit
(looking, anyway), people running around (literally), with
severly clogged arteries. My brother-in-law had a mild heart
attack, followed by quint-bypass a couple of months ago. He
was very active, and fit looking, but ate junk all his life.
The doc said he had some of the worst looking arteries he'd
ever seen.

> Is all this aerobic exercise truly good for our hearts?

Yes, but it's only half of the simple advice: exercise &
diet.

My dad had angioplasty in his 60's. He went on a severe diet
(Ornish) & stuck to it. He's in his 80's now, his arteries
are completely clear.

In article <[email protected]>,
Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:41:51 -0600, "onefred"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Died at the tender age of 51 from a heart attack. Wasn't
> >he a pretty athletic fellow? It concerns me when I see
> >athletic individuals die at relatively young ages.
> >
> >Is all this aerobic exercise truly good for our hearts?
>
> Exercise done yesterday is great for your heart today.
> Strenuous exercise could, of course, immediately
> overload the ticker...so fear the heart attacks while
> exercising, and be fearless when resting. Umm...yeah,
> that makes sense.
> --
> Rick Onanian

It's true, though. I have a very fit, recently retired
friend who had the bad luck to see two friends die while
exercising. Both had recently been diagnosed with heart
troubles, and were disobeying doctor's orders to not engage
in exercise until their heart ailments were treated.

Endorphin addiction can kill you,
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio

Peter Cole wrote:

> "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Died at the tender age of 51 from a heart attack. Wasn't
>>he a pretty athletic fellow? It concerns me when I see
>>athletic individuals die at relatively young ages.
>

> What was even more shocking was Ed Burke's death in 2002.
> While exercise is a powerful protection, it can't help
> some conditions, and won't reverse all the consequences of
> other poor lifestyle choices. There are a lot of thin, fit
> (looking, anyway), people running around (literally), with
> severly clogged arteries. My brother-in-law had a mild
> heart attack, followed by quint-bypass a couple of months
> ago. He was very active, and fit looking, but ate junk all
> his life. The doc said he had some of the worst looking
> arteries he'd ever seen.

There's also a big genetic component. I had one friend die
of a heart attack at 51 while riding, but that was about as
old as any male member of his family ever lived. And he
smoked, making his odds worse.

OTOH, I have a friend who has been an phys ed instructor all
his life, who bikes, runs, XC skis, hikes, etc etc, eats
very healthy, thin, smart
- and with clogged arteries. It's genetic.

I had a stress test done last year, just for the heck of it.
Passed with flying colors. But the doctor said it's no
guarantee I won't drop dead tomorrow.

That's just the way it is. If you need to rationalize your
bicycling, do it by the value of the experience, the fun you
have, or maybe the contribution to society. Don't imagine it
makes you immortal.

--
-------------+ Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's
between "at" and "cc"]

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Died at the tender age of 51 from a heart attack. Wasn't
> > he a pretty athletic fellow? It concerns me when I see
> > athletic individuals die at relatively young ages.
>
> What was even more shocking was Ed Burke's death in 2002.
> While exercise
is a
> powerful protection, it can't help some conditions, and
> won't reverse all
the
> consequences of other poor lifestyle choices. There are a
> lot of thin, fit (looking, anyway), people running around
> (literally), with severly clogged arteries. My brother-in-
> law had a mild heart attack, followed by
quint-bypass
> a couple of months ago. He was very active, and fit
> looking, but ate junk
all
> his life. The doc said he had some of the worst looking
> arteries he'd ever seen.
>
> > Is all this aerobic exercise truly good for our hearts?
>
> Yes, but it's only half of the simple advice:
> exercise & diet.
>
> My dad had angioplasty in his 60's. He went on a severe
> diet (Ornish) &
stuck
> to it. He's in his 80's now, his arteries are
> completely clear.

It's also heredity. If your father died of a heart attack in
his 50s, that increases your risk. I met one cyclist who had
a heart attack (I heard the story from someone else) while
on a ride, and went to the hospital where he had bypass
right away. He was in his 50s (he was 57 when I met him).
Apparently his own father had died young (of course, bypass
wasn't done back when) and the fact that this guy was in
great shape postponed his own heart attack because he had
the same heart condition and was on blood thinnners. BUt
this was a few years ago.When I saw him he was on his bike
and I swear, I never would have guessed his age,I thought he
was maybe 50! But if it's in your familiy, sometimes you
can't avoid having the same problem. I worry about it as
well, since everyone on my father's side of the family had
bypass, although none have died young from heart attacks,
and all had bypass in their 60s or older.

My advise to you is quit eating Powerbars and start eating
bananas. Powerbars are processed garbage. It is ok now and
again, but you are just asking for problems if you are
eating processed **** like that every day. Start eating
bananas or something natural and preferably organic.

Enjoy, Curt

"frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote

> There's also a big genetic component. I had one friend die
> of a heart attack at 51 while riding, but that was about
> as old as any male member of his family ever lived. And he
> smoked, making his odds worse.
>
> OTOH, I have a friend who has been an phys ed instructor
> all his life, who bikes, runs, XC skis, hikes, etc etc,
> eats very healthy, thin, smart
> - and with clogged arteries. It's genetic.

Yes, but my understanding is that heart disease, even for
the genetically predisposed can be controlled with diet,
exercise and other lifestyle choices. Exercise, particularly
regular, strenuous exercise, helps a lot, but it won't
correct for a bad diet. According to some studies, a very
strict diet can reverse C-V disease, even among the
genetically predisposed.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Yes, but my understanding is that heart disease, even for
> the genetically predisposed can be controlled with diet,
> exercise and other lifestyle
choices.
> Exercise, particularly regular, strenuous exercise, helps
> a lot, but it
won't
> correct for a bad diet. According to some studies, a very
> strict diet can reverse C-V disease, even among the
> genetically predisposed.

My understanding is it's exactly the opposite, on the order
of 70% genetic and 30% lifestyle. For those predisposed (and
I believe genetic predisposition comes in degrees, although
I can't substantiate it), lifestyle may reverse, arrest, or
simply slow the progression of C-V disease.

One exception: for many people where nothing else works, the
Atkins diet seems to go a long ways (when combined with
proper exercise).

Austin

"AustinMN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Peter Cole wrote:
> > Yes, but my understanding is that heart disease, even
> > for the genetically predisposed can be controlled with
> > diet, exercise and other lifestyle
> choices.
> > Exercise, particularly regular, strenuous exercise,
> > helps a lot, but it
> won't
> > correct for a bad diet. According to some studies, a
> > very strict diet can reverse C-V disease, even among the
> > genetically predisposed.
>
> My understanding is it's exactly the opposite, on the
> order of 70% genetic and 30% lifestyle. For those
> predisposed (and I believe genetic predisposition comes in
> degrees, although I can't substantiate it), lifestyle may
> reverse, arrest, or simply slow the progression of C-V
> disease.

I wasn't making any claim for the degree of genetic
predisposition impact in C-V disease, only claiming that
diet and exercise helped even the genetically predisposed,
and exercise alone wasn't enough. The genetic risk factors
aren't completley understood at this point, so screening on
that basis isn't widely done. The upshot is that we all
have to assume we're predisposed until we find out
otherwise. Then, I guess, some of us can go back to
buttering our bread.

> One exception: for many people where nothing else works,
> the Atkins diet seems to go a long ways (when combined
> with proper exercise).

I think the Atkins diet is still highly controversial among
both the cardiac & general health communities.

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:46:14 GMT, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My advise to you is quit eating Powerbars and start eating
>bananas. Powerbars are processed garbage. It is ok now and
>again, but you are just asking for problems if you are
>eating processed **** like that every day. Start eating
>bananas or something natural and preferably organic.
>
>Enjoy, Curt

You know, that was the first thing that occurred to me when
I read the story, "Jeez, and I've been eating those things".
I don't actually eat a lot of them, they're just too
expensive, but I take along one or two of the Harvest Bars
occasionally on long rides.

Actually, I'm sure that Brian Maxwell's death had a lot
more to do with his genetic makeup. And I don't *know*
anything about nutrition; I just have semi-informed
opinions. To be fair, though, I don't believe that Power
Bars were meant to be a major part of anyone's diet. I
thought they were just for quick energy when you're really
pushing yourself. Am I wrong?

MP

BTW, I think bananas are a lot better too. They're just a
bit bulkier to carry, and they don't taste so good after
four hours in a jersey pocket in July or August. :)

MP wrote:

> To be fair, though, I don't believe that Power Bars were
> meant to be a major part of anyone's diet. I thought they
> were just for quick energy when you're really pushing
> yourself. Am I wrong?

No, I'm sure you're right.

> BTW, I think bananas are a lot better too. They're just a
> bit bulkier to carry, and they don't taste so good after
> four hours in a jersey pocket in July or August. :)

I like bananas too, and they're in my jersey pocket on
almost every ride. But they don't have as many calories as
energy bars, and the calories are mostly simple carbs. The
addition of some protein, fat and various nutrients is what
makes energy bars special, besides being far more compact.

I'm a firm believer in real food, not chemical substitutes
or wannabe astronaut rations. Plus, $2.36 for a Clif bar is
a bit steep. So I'm looking around for energy bar recipes.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I'm a firm believer in real food, not chemical substitutes
> or wannabe astronaut rations. Plus, $2.36 for a Clif bar
> is a bit steep. So I'm looking around for energy bar
> recipes.

Kevan posted one last week which looks pretty good, though I
haven't tried it yet.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

> > I'm a firm believer in real food, not chemical
> > substitutes or wannabe
astronaut
> > rations. Plus, $2.36 for a Clif bar is a bit steep. So
> > I'm looking
around for
> > energy bar recipes.
>
> Kevan posted one last week which looks pretty good, though
> I haven't tried it yet.

Hmm, I never thought of making my own Clif bar. That sounds
like a great idea and you could make it much better than
store bought. Great idea. I will have to do a search. I
really don't care for all the processed stuff in bars. Sure
they taste great, and on a long ride that should be fine.
What concerns me are the people that eat them every day. I
don't think that would be good for you.

JMHO, Curt

> You know, that was the first thing that occurred to me
> when I read the story, "Jeez, and I've been eating those
> things". I don't actually eat a lot of them, they're just
> too expensive, but I take along one or two of the Harvest
> Bars occasionally on long rides.

I think that is fine. As long as you don't eat them every
day in place of real food.

> Actually, I'm sure that Brian Maxwell's death had a lot
> more to do with his genetic makeup. And I don't *know*
> anything about nutrition; I just have semi-informed
> opinions. To be fair, though, I don't believe that Power
> Bars were meant to be a major part of anyone's diet. I
> thought they were just for quick energy when you're really
> pushing yourself. Am I wrong?
>
> MP
>
> BTW, I think bananas are a lot better too. They're just a
> bit bulkier to carry, and they don't taste so good after
> four hours in a jersey pocket in July or August. :)

I don't think you are wrong. A bar or gel is fine on a ride,
but like I said, just don't make a habit of replacing meal
with that stuff.

JMHO, Curt

David Kerber wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

>> I'm a firm believer in real food, not chemical
>> substitutes or wannabe astronaut rations. Plus, $2.36 for
>> a Clif bar is a bit steep. So I'm looking around for
>> energy bar recipes.

> Kevan posted one last week which looks pretty good, though
> I haven't tried it yet.

I'll dig it up and work on it, and report back by the end of
the week. I'm actually a better cook than a cyclist!

Matt O.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:02:28 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> from
Cox Communications wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...

>> I'm a firm believer in real food, not chemical
>> substitutes or wannabe astronaut rations. Plus, $2.36 for
>> a Clif bar is a bit steep. So I'm looking around for
>> energy bar recipes.
>
>Kevan posted one last week which looks pretty good, though
>I haven't tried it yet.

I'm x-no-archived, but the key trem to search on is "Logan
bread." There are many recipes and variants. I would stay
away from the original recipe though, which is insanely high
in fat and cholesterol.

--
[email protected]
A very small object - Its center.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:08:38 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> from The Maryland Russells wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:10:25 -0600, Kevan Smith <Kevan@mouse-
>potato.com> wrote:
>
>>The notion that people can't "escape" genetics is just a
>>flawed premise. IMO, it leads down the road to a "master
>>race" composed of people of "ideal genes."
>
>I disagree completely. Then OTOH everything I learned about
>genetics I learned from 'Young Frankenstein'...
>
>Destiny, destiny, you can't escape your destiny...

Just because you have a "heart attack gene" doesn't mean you
will have a heart attack, does it?

Anywa, I was thinking more along the lines of Star Trek and
the Suaron Supermen wars (Khan) than your movie example.

--

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:36:28 GMT, "curt" <[email protected]> from wrote:

>> > I'm a firm believer in real food, not chemical
>> > substitutes or wannabe
>astronaut
>> > rations. Plus, $2.36 for a Clif bar is a bit steep. So
>> > I'm looking
>around for
>> > energy bar recipes.
>>
>> Kevan posted one last week which looks pretty good,
>> though I haven't tried it yet.
>
>Hmm, I never thought of making my own Clif bar. That sounds
>like a great idea and you could make it much better than
>store bought. Great idea. I will have to do a search. I
>really don't care for all the processed stuff in bars. Sure
>they taste great, and on a long ride that should be fine.
>What concerns me are the people that eat them every day. I
>don't think that would be good for you.

Allright, twuist my arm. I'll repost the recipe. (I like
cooking as much as cycling.) Here it is:

Logan Bread

This delicious quick bread is named after Mount Logan in the
Yukon. It is dense and chock-full of nutrients, perfect for
hiking or camping. Vary the recipe according to what's in
the cupboard! Any type of dried fruit or nuts may be
substituted for the ones in the recipe. Prep Time: approx.
15 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 45 Minutes. Ready in: approx.
1 Hour . Makes 36 bars (36 servings).

Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by LN Lee

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-
purpose flour 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon
salt 2 eggs
4/2 cup honey
5/4 cup molasses 1 cup applesauce
6/2 cup vegetable oil 1 cup raisins
7/3 cup sunflower seeds

Directions

1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease
two 9 inch square baking pans.

2 In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour,
white flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. In
a separate bowl, stir together the eggs, honey, molasses,
applesauce, and vegetable oil. Pour the wet ingredients into
the dry ingredients, and stir until well blended. Mix in the
raisins and sunflower seeds. Divide the batter evenly
between the two pans.

3 Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the
top springs back when lightly pressed. Let the bread cool
in the pans for at least 10 minutes before cutting into
squares or bars. Wrap pieces individually, and refrigerate
or freeze.