Brian Rourke C+F Ride

velodrome.co.nr

Nov 18, 2005
On Sunday 16th of October 2005 I rode the Brian Rourke Cat and Fiddle Challenge Charity Ride for Cystic Fibrosis.
The ride started from Brian Rourke’s shop in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent and travelled through Kidsgrove, Congleton, Macclesfield over the legendary seven mile Cat and Fiddle Climb. We then turned towards Leek over Axe Edge and past the Winking Man. If that wasn’t enough climbing, we then has to attempt the severe Ladderidge Bank and Brown Edge climbs before arriving back at Brian Rourke’s shop after 55 miles of brutal climbs.
The start was staggered from 8am to 9:30 and 1100 people were pre-registered for the event, with 200 others registering on the day.
Among the starters were Women’s World Championship Road Race Silver medallist Nicole Cooke, four times Tour de France Green Jersey winner Sean Kelly and six times Tour of the Peak winner Mark Lovatt.
I started the event at 8.32am and set off in cold, but bright conditions, mindful of the severe climbing and pain to come. I was expecting to have to do some self-navigating throughout the ride, however, the route was extremely well sign posted and marshalled, by local police and volunteers.
Having already reconed most of the area that the route covers that I was unfamiliar with, I knew what to expect.
The 20 miles past extremely quickly at an average speed of around 16mph and before we knew it the Cat and Fiddle was upon us.
Aiming to complete the ride in around five hours I knew that the climbs were my chance to make up time as this is my favoured terrain.
Sure enough I started to catch riders and overtake them on the climb, with riders weaving all over the road – panting and suffering.
The conditions didn’t help matters, as low lying clouds would make the next 15 miles of the ride awful, with cold and strong winds affecting everybody’s progress.
But we persevered and before we knew it the Cat and Fiddle Pub had pasted and we were descending towards the Axe Edge climb.
It was at this point that local star Mark Lovatt flew past me, riding as if Axe Edge was just a tiny rise, not the dragging climb that caused so many riders problems in this year’s Tour of the Peak.
The descent from Axe Edge into Leek was breathtaking with speeds of nearly 50mph being reached!
After a few miles of respite we were soon reaching the climb of Ladderidge Bank. Being a local lad I knew this climb well, so I used this to my advantage and pushed hard, knowing that the descent towards Endon that followed would provide me with enough recovery time before the climb of Brown Edge.
By the time I reached the foot of Brown Edge was feeling tired and began to suffer for the last five miles; however I found the energy to outsprint the riders I was with on the run back to Rourkies.
Finally a little worse for wear I had finished in a time of 3hrs 48mins 58secs which I was really proud of – considering I set a target of 5hrs. In fact I did so well I finished in the top 150 riders of at least 1300 riders.
I would certainly recommend the event to fellow riders as the route is extremely challenging and picturesque. Support along the route was also fantastic, with people responding to me wearing Discovery Channel kit by shouting C’mon Lance!
However, numerous riders did take the shine out of the event by jumping red lights, although I must say that this was nowhere near as common as rider taking shortcuts only to be pasted again later – they’re only cheating themselves.
Thank to my supporters for supplying me with water top-ups at numerous locations throughout the route, SiS for the free GoBars and for making excellent products that kept me from bonking!
But most of all thanks to Brian Rourke cycles, the Cystic Fibrosis trust and local police and volunteers for organising such a brilliant event that I thoughally enjoyed.

Andy