Brian Trdina has two guns!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ep, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Ep

    Ep Guest

    Is this acceptable???

    Tags:

  2. Bbc3

    Bbc3 Guest

    "EP" wrote:
    > Is this acceptable???

    Pretty poor troll. However, "Bowling for Columbine" by director Michael Moore (www.michaelmoore.com)
    was a terrific movie. I'd like to tie all of this back to bike racing, but screw it.

    --
    Bill

  3. >Subject: Brian Trdina has two guns!!! From: "EP" [email protected] Date:
    >1/28/2003 6:50 AM Eastern Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >Is this acceptable???

    As long as the serial numbers are still there.............

    -----Sharon Peters Personal Trainer to the Stars-------- Remove "No Junk" to reply please!!!

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  5. "EP" wrote in message
    > Is this acceptable???

    I have eight or ten, is that o.k. with you?

    Point?

  6. Velorodsmom

    Velorodsmom Guest

    "EP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is this acceptable???

    It has been my experience (and believe me, I have plenty) that guys who own guns, especially a lot
    of guns, have significant shortcoming in other areas if you know what I mean.

    Mom

  7. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

  8. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

    "VeloRodsMom" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > It has been my experience (and believe me, I have plenty) that guys who own guns, especially a lot
    > of guns, have significant shortcoming in other areas if you know what I mean.

    I have no problem believeing that you have lots of experience with guys.

  9. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    On 27 Jan 2003, Lance Indurain wrote:

    > "EP" wrote in message
    > > Is this acceptable???
    >
    > I have eight or ten, is that o.k. with you?

    Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than 10 feet from a weapon of
    some kind?

    ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

    Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
    musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

  10. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

    "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Brian Trdina wrote:
    > >Actually, I have several guns. If Mr. EP would've read carefully, he'd
    know
    > >that only 2 of them are worth more than my car.
    >
    > OK, what's in the quiver? I am thinking about carrying a gun on solo rides. For the dogs, of
    course.
    > Checking into permitting, etc. Greg

    Despite all the assholes that you meet who try to run you off the road, I haven't really ever felt
    the need to carry when riding. (I don't know where you train, though). If I were gonna do make the
    decision to carry while riding, I'd get something small, easy to operate, and really safe: maybe a
    Ruger .22 revolver. Finding shorts that will accomadate an inside-the-belt holster might be tough
    (you certainly don't want a gun bouncing around in your jersey pocket).

    As for permitting, it varies by state. www.nra.org will have info on how to get a concealed carry
    permit for your state.

  11. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than 10 feet from a weapon of
    > some kind?

    Because many Americans recognize that posessing the means to resist attack makes one
    inherently safer.

  12. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, brian trdina wrote:

    > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than 10 feet from a weapon of
    > > some kind?
    > >
    > Because many Americans recognize that posessing the means to resist attack makes one
    > inherently safer.

    Nice flawed arguement there. The safety arguement flies just as well for guns as it does for SUVs.
    Why do you feel that you're prone to attack?

  13. [email protected] (VeloRodsMom) wrote in message

    > It has been my experience (and believe me, I have plenty) that guys who own guns, especially a lot
    > of guns, have significant shortcoming in other areas if you know what I mean.
    >
    > Mom

    Mom, that's not what you told me last night. You could barely handle my "gun!"

    Lance Indurain

  14. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Nice flawed arguement there. The safety arguement flies just as well for guns as it does for SUVs.

    Huh...?

    > Why do you feel that you're prone to attack?

    I don't feel I'm prone to attack. I don't feel like I'm prone to having my house catch on fire,
    either. However, I still have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen so that I may be in a position to
    react if it does, though.

    What's the problem with posessing the means to protect ones' self? Are you one of those eunichs who
    think that its someone else's job to make sure that they're safe?

  15. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    kick ass thread. I knew there were other cyclist out there that enjoy the smell of burnt powder.

    to bikerecker who wants to pack while riding. don't do it. your life would be fricken miserable
    after you did even if its self defense. pepper spray is the way to go. believe me. as many bullshit
    laws that are currently out, there isn't one that makes it legal to shoot some drunken slob trying
    to kill you with a 2000 lb blunt instrument on wheels. you get fucked just for kicking his ass, let
    alone saving the rest of the earth from him propagating.

    hey "mom" come hunting with me sometime and you could see the best use for a firearm that Americans
    have the right to own. there is a good side to them besides the bad that you choose only to
    remember. those ducks and elk are much less tainted than that chicken or beef you buy at the grocery
    store all neatly packaged. remember though, going back to your roots to get your food is not for the
    faint of heart. of course if your a vegetarian, that's o.k. too. more power to you. doesn't work for
    me though.

    guns, bicycles and Americans. just one of those things, I.e. the French husband and his mistress is
    also just one of those things.

    known gun owners from the euro side, pardon the spelling errors. duclo LaSalle Miguel indurain jean
    Claude keely, "he loves hand guns from America the most" bernard hinault young vandenbrooke - maybe
    this is why he went nuts though? does he still own the hunt camp in Germany?

    its not wrong to own guns , its wrong to misuse guns.

  16. Canadians don't understand our fascination with guns and think we don't get
    it. I think some of us grew up watching old westerns on TV as well as modern ones like Clint
    Eastwood and Dirty Harry, and feel we need them or definitely as a sense of pride in a hobby.
    Especially sporting guns. Today's youth didn't see the old westerns but got the new generation
    of Hollywood movies and video games to thank for their fascination with guns, even the kids in
    schools with guns. As for me I never really had any guns except a 22 and a shotgun that sits in
    the garage. I don't need to be ten feet near a gun and they are old guns from my teen years
    where I went out doing target practice. I don't keep any guns in the house. I have thought
    about carrying a gun on my MB rides but only because of bears and mountain lions, rattlesnakes
    on the trail.

    Bruce
    -------------------------------
    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, brian trdina wrote:
    >
    > > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than
    10
    > > > feet from a weapon of some kind?
    > > >
    > > Because many Americans recognize that posessing the means to resist
    attack
    > > makes one inherently safer.
    > >
    > Nice flawed arguement there. The safety arguement flies just as well for guns as it does for SUVs.
    > Why do you feel that you're prone to attack?
    >
    > ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]
    >
    > Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
    > musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
    > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

  17. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:35:15 GMT, "Brian Trdina" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't feel I'm prone to attack. I don't feel like I'm prone to having my house catch on fire,
    >either. However, I still have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen so that I may be in a position to
    >react if it does, though.
    >
    >What's the problem with posessing the means to protect ones' self? Are you one of those eunichs who
    >think that its someone else's job to make sure that they're safe?

    rbr is just to the left of ANSWER.

    --
    Scott Johnson "Good luck, fat people." -Jamie Woon

  18. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Brian Trdina wrote:

    > What's the problem with posessing the means to protect ones' self? Are you one of those eunichs
    > who think that its someone else's job to make sure that they're safe?

    This is all you need to protect yourself:
    1. intelligence
    2. awareness of your surroundings
    3. non-lethal means of deterrent, as a last resort.

    If you are thinking of protecting yourself with a gun from another person with a gun, you will be
    shot dead reaching for it.

  19. "Brian Trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Nice flawed arguement there. The safety arguement flies just as well for guns as it does
    > > for SUVs.
    >
    > Huh...?
    >
    > > Why do you feel that you're prone to attack?
    > >

    > I don't feel I'm prone to attack. I don't feel like I'm prone to having
    my
    > house catch on fire, either. However, I still have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen so that I may
    > be in a position to react if it does, though.
    >
    > What's the problem with posessing the means to protect ones' self? Are
    you
    > one of those eunichs who think that its someone else's job to make sure
    that
    > they're safe?

    Guides in Montana quit using guns as protection against Grizzlies. The replacement is a large
    cannister of pepper spray. The pepper spray never misses because it shoots out a large cloud. It has
    the added benefit of not killing the bear whose territory has just been invaded.

    The drawback of a gun is that if a non-lethal shot is delivered to the bear, the human is screwed.
    It is not a simple matter to deal a lethal shot to a Grizzly, especially under extreme stress.

  20. Brian Trdina

    Brian Trdina Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]

    > > What's the problem with posessing the means to protect ones' self? Are
    you
    > > one of those eunichs who think that its someone else's job to make sure
    that
    > > they're safe?
    > >
    > This is all you need to protect yourself:
    > 1. intelligence
    > 2. awareness of your surroundings
    > 3. non-lethal means of deterrent, as a last resort.
    >
    > If you are thinking of protecting yourself with a gun from another person with a gun, you will be
    > shot dead reaching for it.

    Kyle,

    I agree that each of the things that you list are important. However, I also believe that reasonably
    forseeable situations arise where access to and knowledge of guns is indespensible to ensure one's
    protection.

    That being said, I'm intriuged by your apparent knowledge of the subject, and I'd like to hear
    more regarding your first hand experience using guns for self defense. I'd be particluarly
    interested in learning why that experience has lead you to the conclusion that they're
    unnecessary. Until then, I will assume that you're merely another blow-hard ass who has never
    taken the time/energy to educate themselves in the proper use of firearms, but is willing to
    demagoge the issue because 'guns are scary.'

    Thanks in advance.

    Brian