Brian Trdina has two guns!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my preferred protection is to **** all over the bear and hope she/he licks themselves clean as I
walk off into the sunset.

just my preference though

jtn sierra club society director of bear research

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Guides in Montana quit using guns as protection against Grizzlies. The replacement is a large
> cannister of pepper spray. The pepper spray never misses because it shoots out a large cloud. It
> has the added benefit of
not
> killing the bear whose territory has just been invaded.
>
> The drawback of a gun is that if a non-lethal shot is delivered to the
bear,
> the human is screwed. It is not a simple matter to deal a lethal shot to a Grizzly, especially
> under extreme stress.
>

I live in the city. I'm not worried about Grizzlies.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, brian trdina wrote:

> That being said, I'm intriuged by your apparent knowledge of the subject, and I'd like to hear
> more regarding your first hand experience using guns for self defense. I'd be particluarly
> interested in learning why that experience has lead you to the conclusion that they're
> unnecessary.
>
First, I would like you to justify the need for more than one. I don't take exception to you having
a gun, I understand that as an American you believe that a gun can solve all your problems. It
concerns me that you think you need several guns.

... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

"brian trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Guides in Montana quit using guns as protection against Grizzlies. The replacement is a large
> > cannister of pepper spray. The pepper spray never misses because it shoots out a large cloud. It
> > has the added benefit of
> not
> > killing the bear whose territory has just been invaded.
> >
> > The drawback of a gun is that if a non-lethal shot is delivered to the
> bear,
> > the human is screwed. It is not a simple matter to deal a lethal shot to
a
> > Grizzly, especially under extreme stress.
> >
>
> I live in the city. I'm not worried about Grizzlies.

Lancaster is no ****ing city.

Thanks, Ronde Champ

"Brian Trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "VeloRodsMom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > It has been my experience (and believe me, I have plenty) that guys who own guns, especially a
> > lot of guns, have significant shortcoming in other areas if you know what I mean.
>
> I have no problem believeing that you have lots of experience with guys.

OK, who are you and why are you posting as that dumb **** Trdina?

"brian trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Guides in Montana quit using guns as protection against Grizzlies. The replacement is a large
> > cannister of pepper spray. The pepper spray never misses because it shoots out a large cloud. It
> > has the added benefit of
> not
> > killing the bear whose territory has just been invaded.
> >
> > The drawback of a gun is that if a non-lethal shot is delivered to the
> bear,
> > the human is screwed. It is not a simple matter to deal a lethal shot to
a
> > Grizzly, especially under extreme stress.
> >
>
> I live in the city. I'm not worried about Grizzlies.

The point is, that you don't need a gun. Large cannister pepper spray can be used against
humans also.

BTW, I own a gun, so I'm not anti-gun, however, I recognize the fact that there are alternatives.

Kyle Legate wrote:
>
> On 27 Jan 2003, Lance Indurain wrote:
>
> > "EP" wrote in message
> > > Is this acceptable???
> >
> > I have eight or ten, is that o.k. with you?
> >
> Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than 10 feet from a weapon of
> some kind?

i have friends who own many guns. they have so many because they like them. for them, it's a
collecting kind of thing, the way some people have 5 cars even though they really only drive one.

heather

"Kyle Legate" wrote:
> Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than 10 feet from a weapon of
> some kind?

U.S. Citizens are really good at killing U.S. Citizens with the guns U.S. Citizens own. Citizens of
other countries (like Canada) seem to be able to own just as many guns per capita without shooting
each other up. "Bowling for Columbine" by director Michael Moore does a great job of looking into
exactly this issue.

Cyclists should never have to carry a gun for protection. If you simply have to carry some type of
protection on the bike, pepper mace will work every time. Works on aggressive dogs too. Certainly a
much safer multi-use deterrent than a gun. You can always rinse pepper mace out of somebody's eyes
after a few hours, but you can't unshoot somebody.

--
Bill

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, brian trdina wrote:
>
> > That being said, I'm intriuged by your apparent knowledge of the
subject,
> > and I'd like to hear more regarding your first hand experience using
guns
> > for self defense. I'd be particluarly interested in learning why that experience has lead you to
> > the conclusion that they're unnecessary.
> >
> First, I would like you to justify the need for more than one. I don't take exception to you
> having a gun, I understand that as an American you believe that a gun can solve all your problems.
> It concerns me that you think you need several guns.
>
>

Okay, here goes:

.357 magnum: easy to operate, safe home protection. (I keep it loaded with manstoppers in my
Mossberg Instant Access safe in my bedroom closet. My wife is the easily the equal to a
steriod-crazed linebacker when in posession of this one, and it can go from safely locked away to
ready to fire in about 8 seconds.)

.22 single shot rifle bolt action rifle: Extremely accurate gun, good for cheap plinking and for
teaching newbies about gun safety. With a little practice, I can have the average person making 6-in
groups at 100 yds with
it.

.22 semi-automatic pistol: Cheap plinking, fun target gun. Also good for teaching gun safety and
good technique for handgunning.

.380 semi-automatic Beretta Model 84: easily concealed carry gun w/lots of firepower (although
there are alot of people who will swear that anything less than a .45 is lousy for self protection,
I say that a smaller-caliber but comfortable-to-carry gun is better than a .45 left at home because
its a pain)

9mm Beretta 92FS: This is perhaps the only 'boutique' gun that I own. I bought it on a whim after it
became the US millitary-issue side arm. 17 rounds of pure fun.

Someday. I'd also like to get a nice over-under shotgun, too. After all, you can't very well shoot
skeet with a .22.

There you go. Now about your plethora of first-hand gun experiences that have lead you to the
conclusion that they are a poor means of self defense.

You know, Kyle, there is some honor in just admitting that you don't know what the **** you're
talking about.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> The point is, that you don't need a gun. Large cannister pepper spray can
be
> used against humans also.
>
> BTW, I own a gun, so I'm not anti-gun, however, I recognize the fact that there are alternatives.
>

I agree that there are alternatives, and I personally think that carrying a gun when you ride is a
bad idea. However, mace, pepper spray, and the like have drawbacks. I was at a party once where
some dipshit chick thought it would be funny to pepper spray some guy during a card game. It
literally cleared out the entire place for about an hour. The lesson: Indoor use of pepper spray is
not a good idea, as the user is very likely to suffer the effects as well. Also, unless you're
willing to face assailant who has a gun with a can of pepper spray, I'd consider it a poor choice
as protection in the home.

"brian trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Brian Trdina wrote:
> > >Actually, I have several guns. If Mr. EP would've read carefully, he'd
> know
> > >that only 2 of them are worth more than my car.
> >
> > OK, what's in the quiver? I am thinking about carrying a gun on solo rides. For the dogs, of
> course.
> > Checking into permitting, etc. Greg
>
> Despite all the assholes that you meet who try to run you off the road, I haven't really ever felt
> the need to carry when riding. (I don't know where you train, though). If I were gonna do make the
> decision to carry while riding, I'd get something small, easy to operate, and really safe: maybe a
> Ruger .22 revolver. Finding shorts that will accomadate an inside-the-belt holster might be tough
> (you certainly don't want a gun bouncing around in your jersey pocket).

The juncture of the top tube and head tube is an excellent place for a small holster. Puts the heat
right where you need it.

-RJ

"BBC3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Z8CZ9.71502$Ve4.6659@sccrnsc03...
> "Kyle Legate" wrote:
> > Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than 10 feet from a weapon of
> > some kind?
>
> U.S. Citizens are really good at killing U.S. Citizens with the guns U.S. Citizens own. Citizens
> of other countries (like Canada) seem to be able
to
> own just as many guns per capita without shooting each other up. "Bowling for Columbine" by
> director Michael Moore does a great job of looking into exactly this issue.
>

Good point.

Hey, have you looked at the rate of gun crimes in London yet since they 'banned' guns in jolly old
england? Right now you're more likely to get mugged or have your home burglarized by an armed
intruder in London than in any North American city.

Cheers...!

"brian trdina" <[email protected]...
>
>
> .380 semi-automatic Beretta Model 84: easily concealed carry gun w/lots of firepower (although
> there are alot of people who will swear that anything less than a .45 is lousy for self
> protection, I say that a smaller-caliber but comfortable-to-carry gun is better than a .45 left at
> home because its
a
> pain)
>
> 9mm Beretta 92FS: This is perhaps the only 'boutique' gun that I own. I bought it on a whim after
> it became the US millitary-issue side arm. 17 rounds of pure fun.

You'd also consider a SIG Sauer P226 boutique (also 9mm, 15 round clip)?

>
> Someday. I'd also like to get a nice over-under shotgun, too. After all, you can't very well shoot
> skeet with a .22.
>
> There you go. Now about your plethora of first-hand gun experiences that have lead you to the
> conclusion that they are a poor means of self
defense.
>
> You know, Kyle, there is some honor in just admitting that you don't know what the **** you're
> talking about.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, brian trdina wrote:

> Okay, here goes:
>
> .357 magnum: easy to operate, safe home protection. (I keep it loaded with manstoppers in my
> Mossberg Instant Access safe in my bedroom closet. My wife is the easily the equal to a
> steriod-crazed linebacker when in posession of this one, and it can go from safely locked away to
> ready to fire in about 8 seconds.)
>
> .22 single shot rifle bolt action rifle: Extremely accurate gun, good for cheap plinking and for
> teaching newbies about gun safety. With a little practice, I can have the average person making
> 6-in groups at 100 yds with
> it.
>
> .22 semi-automatic pistol: Cheap plinking, fun target gun. Also good for teaching gun safety and
> good technique for handgunning.
>
> .380 semi-automatic Beretta Model 84: easily concealed carry gun w/lots of firepower (although
> there are alot of people who will swear that anything less than a .45 is lousy for self
> protection, I say that a smaller-caliber but comfortable-to-carry gun is better than a .45 left at
> home because its a pain)
>
> 9mm Beretta 92FS: This is perhaps the only 'boutique' gun that I own. I bought it on a whim after
> it became the US millitary-issue side arm. 17 rounds of pure fun.
>
> Someday. I'd also like to get a nice over-under shotgun, too. After all, you can't very well shoot
> skeet with a .22.
>
> There you go. Now about your plethora of first-hand gun experiences that have lead you to the
> conclusion that they are a poor means of self defense.
>
I never got the conclusion that they are a poor means of self defense, where did you read that? They
are a good means of self defense but way over the top, especially the one you keep loaded in your
bedroom. Almost all home invasions are specific targets; nearly none are random. If you feel that
your home is at risk of being invaded I think you're running with the wrong crowd. I respect Bill's
reasons because he hunts, and is a legitimate collector. What are you going to hunt with a .22 or a
Beretta? I could never understand Americans' fascination with guns, and neither can most Canadian's
I think. I know of no public shooting ranges in my area, nor any place where someone could safely
engage in 'cheap plinking'.

> You know, Kyle, there is some honor in just admitting that you don't know what the **** you're
> talking about.
>
What am I talking about?

... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

According to Michael Moore in Bowling for Columnbine, Canadians have more guns per capita than
Americans.

They just don't shoot each other with them as often.

Adam

in article [email protected], Kyle Legate at
[email protected] wrote on 1/27/03 8:41 PM:

> On 27 Jan 2003, Lance Indurain wrote:
>
>> "EP" wrote in message
>>> Is this acceptable???
>>
>> I have eight or ten, is that o.k. with you?
>>
> some kind?
>
> ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]
>
> Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
> musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

bike weight nominal= 19 lbs/8.62 kg

with american defense system: 1 rem 1100 12guage 1 marlin 35 lever 1 357 1 10/22 ruger 1 win 300 mag

approximately 41 lbs/18.6 kg

you should see my best friend from frances face when i open the gun safe.....he thinks all americans
are ****ing cowboys.... hahahahahahh we are.............and its fun as ****

"Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BA5C7478.1D90%[email protected]...
> According to Michael Moore in Bowling for Columnbine, Canadians have more guns per capita than
> Americans.
>
> They just don't shoot each other with them as often.
>
> Adam
>

Violence is a cultural phenomea. The former soviet union had extrememly high rates of muder for a
developed country, and civilian ownership of firearms was virually non-existant.

Recall archie bunker's classic words when gloria asked him to explain the high rate of gun murders
in new york: "Would it make you feel better if they'da been pushed out a windas...!"

in article [email protected], Bruce Johnston at [email protected] wrote on
1/28/03 11:42 AM:

> Canadians don't understand our fascination with guns and think we don't get
> it. I think some of us grew up watching old westerns on TV as well as modern ones like Clint
> Eastwood and Dirty Harry, and feel we need them or definitely as a sense of pride in a hobby.
> Especially sporting guns. Today's youth didn't see the old westerns but got the new generation
> of Hollywood movies and video games to thank for their fascination with guns, even the kids in
> schools with guns. As for me I never really had any guns except a 22 and a shotgun that sits
> in the garage. I don't need to be ten feet near a gun and they are old guns from my teen years
> where I went out doing target practice. I don't keep any guns in the house. I have thought
> about carrying a gun on my MB rides but only because of bears and mountain lions, rattlesnakes
> on the trail.
>
>
>
> Bruce

And what do you think Canadians grew up watching? Swiss TV shows?

Speaking of the Swiss, there's a gun in every Swiss home, too (when I lived there it was mounted on
the wall of the family I stayed with) and they don't shoot each other like we do, either.

I almost feel like if you haven't seen Bowling for Columbine yet, you're not qualified to
participate in a conversation about Americans and guns.

Adam

> -------------------------------
> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, brian trdina wrote:
>>
>>> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>>> Why do americans have so many guns? Are you afraid of being more than
> 10
>>>> feet from a weapon of some kind?
>>>>
>>> Because many Americans recognize that posessing the means to resist
> attack
>>> makes one inherently safer.
>>>
>> Nice flawed arguement there. The safety arguement flies just as well for guns as it does for
>> SUVs. Why do you feel that you're prone to attack?
>>
>> ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]
>>
>> Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
>> musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
>> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...
>>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]>

> I never got the conclusion that they are a poor means of self defense, where did you read that?

Retard, you said that if facing an attacker with a gun, I'd be shot before I had a chance to use my
gun, and recommended pepper spray or some other means of non-lethal protection. Sorry, keep your
pepper spray, I'd rather have my gun in such a situation.

> Almost all home invasions are specific targets; nearly none are random.

Random, or non-random, someone who decides to burgalrize my house when my wife or I am home will be
facing armed resistance.

> If you feel that your home is at risk of being invaded I think you're running with the
> wrong crowd.

None of my friends are bugulars, and I don't think that people's homes typically get burglarized by
their friends. Again, I don't think you know what the **** you're talking about.

> I respect Bill's reasons because he hunts, and is a legitimate collector. What are you going to
> hunt with a .22 or a Beretta?

Go back and read the posts. With the excption of the shotgun and rifles, Bill's guns (and methods of
storage) are basically identical to mine.

> I could never understand Americans' fascination with guns, and neither can most Canadian's I
> think. I know of no public shooting ranges in my area, nor any place where someone could safely
> engage in 'cheap plinking'.

Alternately stated: "I've never had the opportunity to actually learn anything about guns, how they
work, or what they're used for, yet I choose to have an opinion and believe that I am annointed to
tell others what to think about them"

> > You know, Kyle, there is some honor in just admitting that you don't
know
> > what the **** you're talking about.
> >
> What am I talking about?

Nothing that you know anything about. Yet you keep talking. Its pretty amazing, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.