Brian Trdina has two guns!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"BBC3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyway .... You are far more likely to be struck by lightning on
your
> bike than you are to need a gun.

So what do you think is wrong with gun ownership? Or is this another of your mindless Liberal rants
like calling anyone racist that tells a joke with an ethnic punchline?

in article [email protected], Brian Trdina at [email protected] wrote on
1/28/03 9:20 PM:

>
> "Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BA5C755A.1D92%[email protected]...
>
>> Speaking of the Swiss, there's a gun in every Swiss home, too (when I
> lived
>> there it was mounted on the wall of the family I stayed with) and they
> don't
>> shoot each other like we do, either.
>>
>> I almost feel like if you haven't seen Bowling for Columbine yet, you're
> not
>> qualified to participate in a conversation about Americans and guns.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>
> I'm pretty confident that one of the low points in your life was the time that I made you watch a
> whole episode of 'American Shooter.'
>
> That was a classic episode, too. Remeber Bob Lunden popping the balloon with the snub-nosed .38 at
> 200 yards? That's great stuff!

I almost went looking for your guns right then and there, to finish you off myself.

See what happens when guns are around? I almost killed you, and you didn't even realize how close to
death you were.

Then, when I had to watch that train show video your kids were watching, I almost went for your guns
so I could shoot myself.

Adam

I knew a guy from the old days in high school who got stopped by the police, and a scuffle ensured
where the two cops pulled out pepper spray and sprayed him. He became so angry that he literally
beat the dogsnot out of both police, left them lying there on the ground and split on foot. I
remember reading about it in the paper. Both male police officers too. I wouldn't trust pepper spray
as an end all solution. It does **** people off and probably causes adrenaline to flow. As for
animals I would think they are afraid of what they don't understand. I would tend to think animals
would flee after getting sprayed. But on the other hand I saw a film crew in Alaska try to
intimidate a extremely large polar bear and it didn't work. The bear make a point show them that he
was boss no matter what, and the bear wouldn't back down even after several shots over his head.
Animals are unpredictable.

Bruce-

--------------------------------
"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "brian trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > > The point is, that you don't need a gun. Large cannister pepper spray
> can
> > be
> > > used against humans also.
> > >
> > > BTW, I own a gun, so I'm not anti-gun, however, I recognize the fact
> that
> > > there are alternatives.
> > >
> >
> > I agree that there are alternatives, and I personally think that
carrying
> a
> > gun when you ride is a bad idea. However, mace, pepper spray, and the
> like
> > have drawbacks. I was at a party once where some dipshit chick thought
it
> > would be funny to pepper spray some guy during a card game. It
literally
> > cleared out the entire place for about an hour. The lesson: Indoor use
of
> > pepper spray is not a good idea, as the user is very likely to suffer
the
> > effects as well. Also, unless you're willing to face assailant who has
a
> > gun with a can of pepper spray, I'd consider it a poor choice as
> protection
> > in the home.
>
>
>
> Large cannister pepper spray has its advantages in the home. The homeowner has home field
> advantage - he/she knows where everything goes. Run into
the
> next room, stick the pepper spray around the corner and the
would-be-burglar
> is screwed. The shoot-first-ack-questions-later policy can be used w/ impunity and with no chance
> of blowing away friends, relatives or
neighbors.
>
> It has its advantages on the bike too. Imagine pulling up to a pickup
truck
> w/ rednecks and filling up the cab w/ pepper spray.

That's exactly right. Years ago we used to settle disputes with our fists. That's why I took up
martial arts for years. I figured that would give enough security and I wouldn't need a gun.
Nowadays martial arts training only offers secondary protection against guns. I wouldn't test my
skills against guns, I would rather play it down and avoid disputes at all costs. You never know how
crazy some guy might be. Especially if he is an expert with guns and you don't know it. You lose!!

B-
---------------------------------
"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > That's exactly the point I was making in another layer off the root
> of this
> > thread. And that is where I live in the mountains there is low crime
> and we
> > rarely settle disputes with guns, even though many cowboys and
> hunters here
> > have guns.
>
> I worked in a Yamaha shop when you met the nicest people on a Honda. One of the salemen and I got
> into an argument about how many people were carrying guns. He told me to just ask. So one day when
> I was working the parts counter I would ask people who came in singly to buy parts. Like the
> salesman told me, 80% of the people were carrying guns. And not little .25 belly guns but Lugers
> and .32 Supers and a lot of .45 Autos.
>
> Oakland has a large murder problem now but then it didn't. Those people were just regular Joes and
> they were carrying guns just in case. I'd be willing to bet that none of them ever used a gun for
> anything but target practice in their lives but they felt more confident and steady with a gun on
> them. So be it. They weren't a problem.
>
> As for myself, I was almost the smallest guy my class through school until sometime in High School
> when I grew a lot. I had to fight a lot because I was white growing up in a black neighborhood. So
> I never had a fear of fighting. I never felt the need to carry a gun but the overwhelming majority
> of people who do aren't a problem. And isn't that what America is about?

"Brian Trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
>
> Remeber Bob Lunden popping the balloon with the snub-nosed .38 at 200 yards?

He must have been aiming at 45 degrees from horizontal. One of my most vivid memories from childhood
was holding a snubby and shooting it out into the field with a 30 degree elevation or so. I'll bet
that wad cutter didn't go more than 150 yards to where it kicked up dust.

in article [email protected], Tom Kunich at
[email protected] wrote on 1/28/03 9:09 PM:

> "Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BA5C755A.1D92%[email protected]...
>> I almost feel like if you haven't seen Bowling for Columbine yet,
> you're not
>> qualified to participate in a conversation about Americans and guns.
>
> Now there's a real realtionship for you. Some liberal asswipe crying about a couple of loonies is
> certainly going to change the way I see the world. The guns those two kids had were the least of
> the problem. If those propane bombs had gone off no one would have given a **** about the
> handguns.
>
>

Much like the guy from CSC, maybe you should see the movie before you prove yet again what an ass
you are. If you did, you'd know it's not an anti-gun movie, and in fact, Michael Moore is a
gun-owning member of the NRA.

But you'd never take the time to educate yourself about an issue, now, would you? That would get in
the way of you spouting off what little you know about so very much, and entertaining everyone on
RBR so thoroughly.

One my greatest moments in RBR is when I realized that Waddell had replaced me as your "fast racer
fetish object." Please don't ruin that for me.

Do any bike racing lately, Tom, that you might like to share with this fine bike racing forum?

Adam

"Brian Trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> The kellerman study (a favorite reference by the gun control crowd) only counted cases where the
> gun was acutally fired as a 'uses in self
defense.'
> In the vast majority of cases where a firearm is emloyed in a defensive capacity, merely showing
> the potential attacker the gun is enough to
difuse
> the situation. Also, comparing guns used in suicides with guns used in defense of crimes is
> comparing apples to oranges.
>
> The most well-reasearched evaluation of the effects of gun posession on crime rates was done by
> John Lott (a University of Chicago Economist), and it concluded that, in virtually every case
> examamed, increased civilian posession of firearms results in lower rates of violent crime (title:
> More Guns, Less Crime www.amazon.com). Perhaps the most telling aspect of the book is that Lott
> was personally favored gun control until he performed
the
> research that led to its publication. Of couse, its much simpler for his critics to demagogue the
> issue than it is to try to understand and subsequently employ sound statistical methods to analyse
> the available
data.
> Its also remarkable that some of the country's leading medical journals
have
> allowed themselves to be the tools by which poor data analyses masking as 'science' are presented
> to the public. Its a telling commentary on how
far
> seemingly rational people (scientists, no less) will go to cling to the litany that they've
> established for themselves as the truth.

Don't forget to mention the drawbacks. Crimes of passion, accidental shootings. Most murders are
committed by friends or family. Guns are not a panacea for crime. Neither is gun control.

On 1/28/03 6:08 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Large cannister pepper spray has its advantages in the home. The homeowner has home field
> advantage - he/she knows where everything goes. Run into the next room, stick the pepper spray
> around the corner and the would-be-burglar is screwed.

Screw that............... Who wants to **** up their **** spraying pepper spray all over their
own house!!

> The shoot-first-ack-questions-later policy can be used w/ impunity and with no chance of blowing
> away friends, relatives or neighbors.

Huh??? What kind of ³friends, relatives or neighbors² be doing going through my ³Locked² house in
the middle of the night??

>
> It has its advantages on the bike too. Imagine pulling up to a pickup truck
> w/ rednecks and filling up the cab w/ pepper spray.
>

Or filling it with buckshot....

--

On 1/28/03 6:10 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
> It's directly related to the density of the population.
>
> In rural areas (low density), gun ownership is generally not a problem.

agreed

>
> In metropolitan areas (high density), gun ownership is a problem.
>
>
Disagree.........

Gun ownership (i.e. LEGAL) is not a problem

CRIME (i.e. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY) is!!!!!!!!

Crimes committed w/guns are OVERWELMINGLY down with "illegally owned" guns

Why the hell do whiny ass liberals try to put the blame on an inanimate object????

YOU'RE SUCH AN ASSHOLE. NOBODY DESERVES TO DIE, AND ALL LIVES ARE WORTHWILE. MAYBE IF YOU AND YOUR
ASSHOLE FRIENDS WOULD HAVE JUST TALKED TO THAT PREDATOR COMPASSIONATELY IN A LOVEING, CARING MANNER
AND HAD HIM EXLPLAIN WHAT ISSUES IN HIS CHILDHOOD WERE LEADINING HIM TO HIS ANTISOCAL BEHAVIOR HE'D
BE ALIVE TODAY. THERE ARE NO BAD PEOPLE OUT THERE, EXCEPT THE ONES THAT ARE MEMBERS OF THE NRA AND
OTHER SUV-DRIVING, MEAT-EATING REPUBLICANS!

"Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> My friend Richard, unlike me, owns a gun, a 10 mm sig that he bought for protection, and he
> occasionally carries it on solo rides. Most of the
time, he
> carries bear spray, though, and frequently uses it on the dogs that run
freely
> in the areas where we ride. Over the last few years, a kid (now 19) in his neighborhood
> thought it was
good
> fun, and impressive to his fellow scum friends, to hassle Richard while he
was
> riding through the neighborhood. He only did this when Richard was alone,
and
> only when the punk was surrounded by friends. AS the kid got older, his
abuse
> worsened. At one point, he swerved his car at Richard, and threatened to
kill
> him more than once. This was an almost daily occurrence last Summer. The police, when called, did
> nothing, even though they new the punk from his lengthy record. Their comment, the last time
> Richard called them, was
that
> the kid really needed a serious ass whipping. After one particularly
egregious
> incident, Richard rode home, got his gun, and drove back up the street to confron the kid and his
> gang. He says it took all his restraint to keep
the
> gun out of sight, unused. He called the police, again. The kid had been arrested and served time,
> but never for anything serious.
Hhe
> would disappear for a few weeks or months, then resurface. Imagine having
to
> share your neighborhood (a middle- to upper-middle class neighborhood in
the
> well off part of Knoxville) with such a menace. Richard agonized for two
years
> over how to react; we all did, coming up with various fantastic, grandiose schemes to teach the
> kid a lesson or maybe knock him off. The kid had
nothing
> to lose, though, and we all have families, and lives, and things to live
for,
> so we restrained ourselves. Two weeks ago, in the middle of the night, the kid broke into another
house in
> the neighborhood. The home owner had a high powered rifle at the ready,
and
> shot the kid, who made it out of the house and over two fences before collapsing and dying in a
> backyard just down the street. It was several
hours
> before the body was discovered. Subsequent investigation revealed that the shooter's daughter
> had been
raped by
> the kid and some of his friends. The police are now working on the
premise,
> indicated by several interviews with friends of the rape victim, that the shooting was a setup, in
> which the punk had been lured into the house
somehow
> to meet the justice of the justifiably enraged father. The father did what we fantasized about: he
> took things into his own hands
and
> blew the worthless piece of **** away. He may end up going to jail for
1st
> degree murder, although, if any premeditated murder was ever justifiable,
this
> elimination of an irredeemably evil shell of a human was. This chain of events has been the cause
> of intense, profound discussion
among
> the group of us that ride and race together with Richard. Richard, who
was
> most directly menaced by the kid, now feels that he might have had some
small
> sliver of worthwhile humanity in him, and that the killing was wrong. I remain ambivalent.
> Greg Miller

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Screw that............... Who wants to **** up their **** spraying pepper spray all over their
> own house!!
>

Yeah, you're much better off cleaning up blood stains and picking peices of organ out of your carpet
3 days later when the cops have collected all the evidience!

"Brian Trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Yeah. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably keep a pump action shot gun around for just such a
> situation. Any malcontent who can listen to the pump action being worked without shitting his
> pants is either really dumb or really loaded.

I always get a laugh when guys in action movies repeatedly work the action on their guns...better
get that gun fixed if you need to **** it so many times per shot.

> bike weight nominal= 19 lbs/8.62 kg
>
> with american defense system: 1 rem 1100 12guage 1 marlin 35 lever 1 357 1 10/22 ruger 1
> win 300 mag

> you should see my best friend from frances face when i open the gun safe.....he thinks all
> americans are ****ing cowboys.... hahahahahahh we are.............and its fun as ****

Here's the content of my safe:

1. Browning BAR .300 winny mag (topped w/a Leupold 4X10)
2. Browning stainless stalker 30.06 (topped with a Leupold 3X9)
3. Remmington 870 in 12
4. Remmington 870 in 20
5. H&R single in 12
6. Ruger 10/22 (of course)
7. Several Glocks (9mm and 10mm...I really like the 10)
8. Bushmaster A2 variant in 5.56 (.223) w/about 30 pre-ban mags...my personal fav.

There is only one other sport other than cycling where you can possibly accumulate more
gear...shooting!

Oh yea, I have a nice RCBS reloading bench in the basement...serves dual purpose as I wax my skating
skis there as well.

Adam Hodges Myerson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<BA5C7478.1D90%[email protected]>...
> According to Michael Moore ....

I would not quote Michael Moore for anything when trying to have a reasonable conversation or
discussion about anything of substance. His work is not very well regarded by anyone on either side
of the spectrum. It really blows...hard.

There are many other thoughtful, scholarly-types who present earnest, factual arguments on both
sides of this issue. Read them and form your own conclusions.

this is my point to you earlier BR. even though you are and he was in the right to kill this human
that abused other humans, this guy will pay a life of misery for it. most of the time its not worth
it. however, in his case im sure he will sleep well at night knowing this piece of **** is gone and
one less he has to worry about molesting his daughter. but out on a bike ride the altercation
between un-armed human and cyclist with a gun will definately put the cyclist in the big house on
the indoor trainer for about five years.....

>8. Bushmaster A2 variant in 5.56 (.223) w/about 30 pre-ban mags...my personal fav.

niiiiiiiiiiiiche. i almost forgot, rem woodmaster 30-06, elk killin piece of equipment that
is.i havnt eatan a piece of store bought beef in two years....god its good to be able to take your
own meat off the land.

thank the lord, thank you america.

"> shootings. Most murders are committed by friends or family. Guns are not a
> panacea for crime. Neither is gun control.
>
>

right on.

"brian trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Also, unless you're willing to face assailant who has a
> gun with a can of pepper spray, I'd consider it a poor choice as protection in the home.

A great choice for home protection would be any quality civilian AR-15 variant, 16" barrel, with the
.55 grain FMJ stuff (fragments better than the .62 gr) Top off that little number with a Surefire
flashlight, a nice laser pointer and a hollogram quick-point scope, and you are ready to investigate
ANYTHING that goes "bump" in the night! (remember to double tap)

"You can never have too much gear..." Lance Indurain

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA5CB9E8.20226%[email protected]...
> On 1/28/03 6:10 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> > It's directly related to the density of the population.
> >
> > In rural areas (low density), gun ownership is generally not a problem.
>
> agreed
>
>
> >
> > In metropolitan areas (high density), gun ownership is a problem.
> >
> >
> Disagree.........
>
> Gun ownership (i.e. LEGAL) is not a problem
>
> CRIME (i.e. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY) is!!!!!!!!
>
> Crimes committed w/guns are OVERWELMINGLY down with "illegally owned" guns
>
> Why the hell do whiny ass liberals try to put the blame on an inanimate object????

Who said anything about gun control or legally owned guns?

What I said is true. In high density areas, gun ownership is a problem, in rural areas it is not.
Most people are killed by friends or relatives and for whatever reason that sort of thing happens in
the city, with guns, far more often than in rural areas. It is a fact.

I am not offering up any solutions, gun control or otherwise. I am pointing out what is true. If you
have some data that disputes what I said please offer it up. Otherwise, please turn off the caps
lock. It's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.