Brian Trdina has two guns!!!

On 1/29/03 9:32 AM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Grungioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA5CB8E6.20224%[email protected]...
>>
>>> The shoot-first-ack-questions-later policy can be used w/ impunity and with no chance of blowing
>>> away friends, relatives or
> neighbors.
>>
>> Huh??? What kind of ³friends, relatives or neighbors² be doing going through my ³Locked² house in
>> the middle of the night??
>

> Most homocides are committed by friends or relatives.
>
> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

That is what I am trying to say..................duh!!

Then they are not considered "friends".....(don't think too hard)

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA5D54A6.2028D%[email protected]...
> On 1/29/03 9:32 AM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Grungioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > neighbors.
> >>
> >> Huh??? What kind of ³friends, relatives or neighbors² be doing going through
my
> >> ³Locked² house in the middle of the night??
> >

> > Most homocides are committed by friends or relatives.
> >
> > http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm
> >

> That is what I am trying to say..................duh!!
>
> Then they are not considered "friends".....(don't think too hard)

Sorry, you're going to have to spell it out for me. Not everyone can think at that low a level.

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Kurgan Grungioni wrote:

> What I said is true. In high density areas, gun ownership is a problem, in rural areas it is not.
> Most people are killed by friends or relatives and for whatever reason that sort of thing happens
> in the city, with guns, far more often than in rural areas. It is a fact.

Perhaps this is the reason that Canadians do not kill each other with guns to nearly the same extent
that Americans do--most gun ownership occurs in areas that would be considered rural.

... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

Kurgan Grungioni wrote:

> Most homocides are committed by friends or relatives.
>
> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

i don't think that reference is a good one for the point you are trying to make. those are stats
about race. a better one is http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/intimates.htm#intimates

from that source:
---------------------------------------
Victim/Offender Relationship, 1976-2000 Percent Stranger 14.0% Spouse 7.1% Other family 7.8%
Boyfriend/Girlfriend 4.3% Other Acquaintance 33.0% Relationship undetermined 33.8%
Homicides by relationship and weapon type, 1990-2000 Relationship of victim to offender Gun Knife
Blunt object Force Other Husband/Ex-husband 71 % 25 % 2 % 1 % 2 % Wife/Ex-wife 69 13 4 7 6 Boyfriend
47 45 3 2 4 Girlfriend 57 19 5 11 8 Nonintimate 63 18 5 7 6

heather

"Brian Trdina" wrote >
> Yeah, you're much better off cleaning up blood stains and picking peices of organ out of your
> carpet 3 days later when the cops have collected all the evidience!

Here's a few friendly tips for you guys from someone in the industry:

1) the above statement from Brian is a good reason to invest in wall to wall carpet, good crime
scene techs will usually cut out soiled sections for evidence, making clean up easier AND if the
blood is caused by your justifyable shooting of a burglar you may be able to recoup the cost of
the carpet by suing the estate of the bad guy or even claim it on your homeowners or renter
insurance.

2) Our Canadian friend Kyle was partly correct, Home invasions are intentional acts based upon the
preceived business endeavors of the intended victim (ie; scumbag). A "home invasion" commited on
an elderly person (or other seemingly non-scumbag) however is NOT a home invasion, they are
usually termed Burglary / Robberies, which means exactly the same thing but it's the industries
way of separating the two types of victims.

3)Having used OC (pepper spray), tazers, CN/CS, batons and even guns, I'd say that while it's your
right to possess and use them (which I support) don't be so sure you're safe by having one. In
fact, a great percentage of violent crime victims are killed with thier own weapons or because the
"upped the stakes" by pulling one. Even the best trained people fall victim to this. No one likes
to be a victim, but sometimes (the majority of times infact) you're actually more likely to
survive by being passive, again I'm not saying I like the idea but the facts support it.

4) using OC spray for defense on a bike sounds pretty funny, *Note to self, never spary forward
while in motion* I did have an idea for a fogger that mounted to the rear of the bike activated
by a level on the bars, but I dropped that idea after I got my upgrade to cat 3, if they outlaw
radios they'd surely look down on that. BTW, OC is an inflamitory agent, ANY goal oriented
individual intent on achiving his/her goal, can fight through the effects of OC, this is the very
reason smart cops don't use OC on trained pit bulls and I'd guess that a ****** off grizzly
intent on chowing down on your chamios, might do the same. Moral, OC is good **** when used on
something that might be inclined to give up or run away but it won't stop those intent on
winning, The air tazer is the ONLY less lethel tool I've ever seen / used that WILL immediately
stop any attacker when used right (please don't site the rodney king case here, wrong unit, poor
use)but you can't use one as a citizen sorry.

5) Kyle, the reason canadians don't have a fascination with guns like "Mercans" do is because your
government won't allow guns in the country till the national average blood alcohol is below .20%.
Hell half the candain cops are'nt even carrying heaters, what the hell kind of civilized **** is
that anyway?!?!?

FOCKER your tax dollars at work baby!

On 1/29/03 10:02 AM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA5D54A6.2028D%[email protected]...
>> On 1/29/03 9:32 AM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan
>> Grungioni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> neighbors.

> my
>>>

>>> Most homocides are committed by friends or relatives.
>>>
>>> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm
>>>

>> That is what I am trying to say..................duh!!
>>
>> Then they are not considered "friends".....(don't think too hard)
>

> Sorry, you're going to have to spell it out for me. Not everyone can think at that low a level.

Yea right...

That is what "Henry Chang-Bang" Mensa boy used to say.............

If you cannot figure it out then it was SARCASM. . . . .

"G. Focker" wrote:

> The air tazer is the ONLY less lethel tool I've ever seen / used that WILL immediately stop any
> attacker when used right (please don't site the rodney king case here, wrong unit, poor use)but
> you can't use one as a citizen sorry.

i didn't know that. they sell them online supposedly- http://www.detercrime.com/shopping/shopitems.-
asp?itemtype=tkit&prodtype=TaserKitandGuns&prodcol=800080&pic=images/tasertop.jpg are you saying
it's illegal to use one in self defense? i'm confused. what do you think about stun guns? i either
need some kind of weapon, or i need to find another job, and i like my job..

heather

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA5D62C8.20299%[email protected]...

> >> That is what I am trying to say..................duh!!
> >>
> >> Then they are not considered "friends".....(don't think too hard)
> >

> > Sorry, you're going to have to spell it out for me. Not everyone can
think
> > at that low a level.
> >

> Yea right...
>
> That is what "Henry Chang-Bang" Mensa boy used to say.............
>
> If you cannot figure it out then it was SARCASM. . . . .

My apologies then.

Clearly, not everyone is capable of thinking at the stratospheric heights you occupy.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringioni.

> > > Sorry, you're going to have to spell it out for me. Not everyone can
> think
> > > at that low a level.
> > >

> > Yea right...
> >
> > That is what "Henry Chang-Bang" Mensa boy used to say.............
> >
> > If you cannot figure it out then it was SARCASM. . . . .
>

> My apologies then.
>
> Clearly, not everyone is capable of thinking at the stratospheric heights you occupy.

don't worry... Steve is the only brilliant member of RBR -- all others are complete morons...

(kill-file the brilliance of Steve and the air will clear and you'll see an nice opening and now
Sprint dammit!)

-Ken

"Brian Trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "BBC3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "A gun in the home is four times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, seven
> > times more like to be used in a criminal assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be
> > used to commit or attempt a suicide than to be used in self-defense."
> >
> > Kellerman, Arthur L., et. al. "Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home." Journal of
> > Trauma, Injury, Infection, and Critical Care. Volume 45, No. 2. August 1998
>
> The kellerman study (a favorite reference by the gun control crowd) only counted cases where the
> gun was acutally fired as a 'uses in self defense.'

Half a truth. The Kellermann 1986 study (a favorite reference of the Kellermann bashing crowd) did.
The followup study in 1993 looked at the simple question: did homes where there was a gun present
have a higher, lower, or unchanged risk of domestic homicide. The raw data showed a higher risk of
homicide, over all subgroups of the population (criminals, upstanding citizens, white, black,
history of violence, no history, etc.) and the final result was an independent overall 2.7X increase
in risk of domestic homicide from having a gun present in the house, after factoring out criminal
history, history of violence, alcohol abuse, illegal drugs, and many other factors. The risk was
entirely from an increase in domestic/family/romantic type shootings, where somebody familiar with
the house and with the gun shoots another. There was no effect on risk of homicide from forced
intrusions, increase or decrease. The added risk was greater for guns kept unlocked and/or loaded.
No big surprise.

> In the vast majority of cases where a firearm is emloyed in a defensive capacity, merely showing
> the potential attacker the gun is enough to difuse the situation.

Kind of bogus. Where are you getting this data from? If it is the famous 98% bandied around and now
claimed by John Lott, be aware that there is serious doubt. The survey he now claims to have done to
get this figure (after claiming that it came from other researchers' surveys but being proved wrong)
but lost due to computer crash, shows no other signs of having existed; and at best, would have had
a total of about 25 defensive gun uses, out of his claimed sample of 2,424 individuals surveyed, if
you believe Kleck's 2,500,000 DGUs yearly (which itself is way overinflated). If you can explain how
you can get a 98/2 percentage breakdown out of 25 individuals, you get a prize. You're at least way
ahead of Lott, who hasn't been able to.

> Also, comparing guns used in suicides with guns used in
> defense of crimes is comparing apples to oranges.

Well, not exactly, but I see what you mean.

> The most well-reasearched evaluation of the effects of gun posession on crime rates was done by
> John Lott (a University of Chicago Economist), and it concluded that, in virtually every case
> examamed, increased civilian posession of firearms results in lower rates of violent crime (title:
> More Guns, Less Crime www.amazon.com). Perhaps the most telling aspect of the book is that Lott
> was personally favored gun control until he performed the research that led to its publication.

Again, something claimed for Lott, although I haven't heard him say it himself. How odd, since in
everything else he is an extreme libertarian, even to the point of arguing that laws against crime
in general may not be as beneficial to society as letting some crime exist. Before you jump to his
defense and accuse me of character assassination, note that he has in the last week admitted to
having a Usenet pseudonym under which he engaged his critics in debates regarding his research, and
also tried to bolster his defense of his questionable survey. Posting under a pseudonym is not a
problem, but using the pseudonym to engage in academic battles with your critics rather than doing
so openly sure is, and attempting to pose your alter ego as independent corroboration is definitely
not cool. He denied it for a while but finally owned up, which must have taken guts.

>Of couse, its much simpler for his critics to demagogue the issue than it is to try to understand
>and subsequently employ sound statistical methods to analyse the available data.

Ahh bull. This has been treated again and again. Lott's work is very complex and each complication
can be a source of error. He makes varied assumptions that are questionable but inevitably aid his
case; for instance, he lumps the effects of concealed carry loosening together for all states, and
also doesn't address the question of the different periods of time snce the various states
instituted CCW loosening. As a result, it's clear that what is happening is mostly that Florida, a
large state which relaxed CCW early on and had a drop in violent crime, is carrying the whole study,
along with a little help from middlesized Georgia which also loosened CCW early and had a drop, and
big TX which came on board later and also had a drop in crime. But most of the states that relaxed
CCW showed no decrease and often an increase in violent crime afterwards, if you treat them
individually and not as part of one big CCW-relaxed whole. And there is no overall constancy between
types of crime; some states have increased murder and decreased rapes, some the other way around,
etc. He theorizes that criminals are afraid of being shot and will transfer their business to
nonviolent crime like auto theft, but his biggest effect overall is on rape, suggesting that fear of
armed victims is causing rapists to give up rape and become auto thieves, more than armed robbers.
He finds a similar decrease in crimes on men and women, when it's mostly men who are getting CCW
permits not women, and on childrem as well when no children are allowed CCW permits. And when one
looks at the actual numbers, you see that the numbers of crimes stopped by an armed victim is
miniscule; a dozen reported in Miami, compared to 100,000 arrests by police. Even if you assume 90%
aren't reported, it's still trivial, to see such a big effect on crime. He comes out with some very
odd results, such as the violent crime rate being not very sensitive to the number of young black
males, but highly sensitive to the number of elderly black females. If you don't believe that to be
valid, then you can't pick other results of the study, such as more guns less crime, to be proved.

> Its also remarkable that some of the country's leading medical journals have allowed themselves to
> be the tools by which poor data analyses masking as 'science' are presented to the public.

What's remarkable is that the gun lobby has enlisted so many perfectly willing lay preachers to go
about spreading the gospel about how bad Kellermann is and how great Lott is, when they clearly
don't have clue one about what it is they are saying; and they have the nerve to call people who
have actually familiarized themselves with the field and disagree with them, sheep.

>Its a telling commentary on how far seemingly rational people (scientists, no less) will go to
>cling to the litany that they've established for themselves as the truth.

Yes, it certainly is, irony intended. Does not bode well for the future of America that easily led
sheep like to arm themselves heavily and express animosity towards anyone who disagrees with them.

"Kyle Legate" wrote:
> Perhaps this is the reason that Canadians do not kill each other with guns to nearly the same
> extent that Americans do--most gun ownership occurs in areas that would be considered rural.

Gun ownership comes with responsibility. The gun is never the real problem, it is the person holding
the gun. Perhaps Canadians are simply more adept at resolving disputes peacefully than Americans.
Sadly, guns are seldom discharged in self defense, except by police officers. Typically guns kill
the owner or someone the owner knows. These are the simple facts. Owning guns is a right we should
guard and hold dear here in the USA, but that right will only remain as long as we exercise
responsibility.

I would never ride with someone who felt it necessary to carry a gun while cycling. I just don't
feel the need to be exposed to the danger and liability a person like that represents. The only
possible exception to this would be a Police Officer who was required to carry an off-duty weapon
and badge/ID. A mere cell phone can be a great deterrent to violence, not to mention the desire to
resolve situations peacefully.

Guns that a re kept for home defense are far more likely to kill a family member than an intruder.
Those are the statistics. Guns are fantastic, but they should be kept locked up and away from the
ammunition.

Here is a sad story about guns and lack of responsibility in the news today:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/01/29/tx.girl.shot.ap/index.html

--
Bill

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "G. Focker" wrote:
> >
> > The air tazer is the ONLY less lethel tool I've ever seen / used that WILL immediately stop any
> > attacker when used right
(please
> > don't site the rodney king case here, wrong unit, poor use)but you can't use one as a citizen
> > sorry.
>
> i didn't know that. they sell them online supposedly-

http://www.detercrime.com/shopping/shopitems.asp?itemtype=tkit&prodtyp
e=TaserKitandGuns&prodcol=800080&pic=images/tasertop.jpg
> are you saying it's illegal to use one in self defense? i'm
confused.
> what do you think about stun guns? i either need some kind of
weapon, or
> i need to find another job, and i like my job..

As Focker pointed out, these things aren't easy to use correctly in a situation where you're life
may be at stake.

Regardless of Focker's Cop statistics which only show a narrow cross section of armed victims, there
are ten times more crimes prevented by an armed homeowner than completed.

Man, you sure must be a pretty crappy girlfriend if you have to kill your man.

4
8
> Nonintimate 63 18 5 7
>
> heather

> Most murders are committed by friends or family. Guns are not a panacea for crime. Neither is gun
> control.

Here's a Kurgan example: two hispanic gangs in Los Angeles havea shootout in which a member of one
gang is killed. Since they know each other, this is obviously a murder by a friend.

"Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BA5CC14D.1E04%[email protected]...
> in article [email protected],
Tom
> Kunich at [email protected] wrote on 1/28/03 9:09 PM:
>
> > "Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:BA5C755A.1D92%[email protected]...
> >> I almost feel like if you haven't seen Bowling for Columbine yet, you're not qualified to
> >> participate in a conversation about
Americans
> >>and guns.
> >
> > Now there's a real realtionship for you. Some liberal asswipe
crying
> > about a couple of loonies is certainly going to change the way I
see
> > the world. The guns those two kids had were the least of the
problem.
> > If those propane bombs had gone off no one would have given a **** about the handguns.
>
> Much like the guy from CSC, maybe you should see the movie before
you prove
> yet again what an ass you are. If you did, you'd know it's not an
anti-gun
> movie, and in fact, Michael Moore is a gun-owning member of the NRA.
>
> But you'd never take the time to educate yourself about an issue,
now, would
> you? That would get in the way of you spouting off what little you
know
> about so very much, and entertaining everyone on RBR so thoroughly.

Adam, do you really think that seeing a movie is education? Perhaps that's why you ride bicycles for
a living and I'm an engineer.

> Do any bike racing lately, Tom, that you might like to share with
this fine
> bike racing forum?

I hear that you landed a job on a pro team Adam. Good luck.

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> That's exactly right. Years ago we used to settle disputes with our
fists.
> That's why I took up martial arts for years. I figured that would
give
> enough security and I wouldn't need a gun. Nowadays martial arts
training
> only offers secondary protection against guns. I wouldn't test my
skills
> against guns, I would rather play it down and avoid disputes at all
costs.
> You never know how crazy some guy might be. Especially if he is an
expert
> with guns and you don't know it. You lose!!

One guy I knew and I were walking across from a mall to his car. There was a group of young guys,
maybe late teens, who took a fancy to his Raider's jacket and started walking towards him and
telling him that they wanted it. He was on the other side of the car from me and these guys when you
would hear his .45 cocking. That sound stopped those smart asses right in their tracks and they
turned around and walked off. No one ever saw a gun and it was never pointed at anyone. Another of
those friends-and-relatives murders that never happened.

If he was a real man, like Kyle Legate, he would have let them kick the **** out of him and steal
his jacket.

> ---------------------------------
> > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > That's exactly the point I was making in another layer off the
root
> > of this
> > > thread. And that is where I live in the mountains there is low
crime
> > and we
> > > rarely settle disputes with guns, even though many cowboys and
> > hunters here
> > > have guns.
> >
> > I worked in a Yamaha shop when you met the nicest people on a
Honda.
> > One of the salemen and I got into an argument about how many
people
> > were carrying guns. He told me to just ask. So one day when I was working the parts counter I
> > would ask people who came in singly to
buy
> > parts. Like the salesman told me, 80% of the people were carrying guns. And not little .25 belly
> > guns but Lugers and .32 Supers and
> > lot of .45 Autos.
> >
> > Oakland has a large murder problem now but then it didn't. Those people were just regular Joes
> > and they were carrying guns just in case. I'd be willing to bet that none of them ever used a
> > gun for anything but target practice in their lives but they felt more confident and steady with
> > a gun on them. So be it. They weren't a problem.
> >
> > As for myself, I was almost the smallest guy my class through
school
> > until sometime in High School when I grew a lot. I had to fight a
lot
> > because I was white growing up in a black neighborhood. So I never
had
> > a fear of fighting. I never felt the need to carry a gun but the overwhelming majority of people
> > who do aren't a problem. And isn't that what America is about?

As has been pointed out, your statistics suck. Strangers, nodding acquaintances and unknown
relationship (usually someone that purposely cased you out so that they knew what they were doing)
make up about 75% or more of homicides.

"Kurgan Grungioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA5CB9E8.20226%[email protected]...
> > On 1/28/03 6:10 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan
Gringioni"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > It's directly related to the density of the population.
> > >
> > > In rural areas (low density), gun ownership is generally not a
problem.

> > agreed
> >

> > > In metropolitan areas (high density), gun ownership is a
problem.

> > Disagree.........
> >
> > Gun ownership (i.e. LEGAL) is not a problem
> >
> > CRIME (i.e. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY) is!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Crimes committed w/guns are OVERWELMINGLY down with "illegally
owned" guns

> > Why the hell do whiny ass liberals try to put the blame on an
inanimate
> > object????
>

> Who said anything about gun control or legally owned guns?
>
> What I said is true. In high density areas, gun ownership is a
problem, in
> rural areas it is not. Most people are killed by friends or
relatives and
> for whatever reason that sort of thing happens in the city, with
guns, far
> more often than in rural areas. It is a fact.
>
> I am not offering up any solutions, gun control or otherwise. I am
pointing
> out what is true. If you have some data that disputes what I said
please
> offer it up. Otherwise, please turn off the caps lock. It's
annoying.

heather halvorson wrote
> i didn't know that. they sell them online supposedly- are you saying it's illegal to use one in
> self defense?

Actually, no I never said that, but I was under the impression that that model was not sold
outside law enforcement, you've shown me that's not the case anymore. Last I checked in most
states you could use almost anything you want in defense of your own life, possession might be
another story though.

>i'm confused.

Uhhhh.... maybe so.....

> what do you think about stun guns?

Well, if used right you can get confessions in 10 minutes or less......... (that was a joke......)

>i either need some kind of weapon, or i need to find another job, and i like my job.. heather

OK, ..... you need a weapon?... need a new job? like your job? Okay I give, what do you do for a
living....