Brian's Bikes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Brian Watson, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
    single image to an obscure thread.

    Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
    to a new thread of its own :)

    If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

    http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

    Brian

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Brian Watson wrote:
    > Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
    > single image to an obscure thread.
    >
    > Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
    > to a new thread of its own :)
    >
    > If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    > and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
    >
    > http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

    Nice site. Clean. My style - but better :D

    Only thing I've noticed so far is it could be faster - shout yourself
    that ISDN or T1 link you always wanted..

    hippy

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 at 06:16 GMT, Brian Watson (aka Bruce)
    > Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
    > single image to an obscure thread.
    >
    > Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
    > to a new thread of its own :)
    >
    > If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    > and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
    >
    > http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

    One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
    all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
    response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
    editing a post is really hard in these conditions.

    Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
    piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

    >You seem to be implying here that one gets rich after gaining a PhD?

    Of course one does. The other 99 out of a hundred get bitter.
    -- Paula responding to TimC on ARK

  4. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 at 06:16 GMT, Brian Watson (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
    >>single image to an obscure thread.
    >>
    >>Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
    >>to a new thread of its own :)
    >>
    >>If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    >>and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
    >>
    >>http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

    > One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
    > all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
    > response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
    > editing a post is really hard in these conditions.
    >
    > Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
    > piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

    Luckily everything I do is off-line, replicate type stuff (I was never a
    fan of slrn anyway - preferred nn) so I will not notice the latency
    except when I am browsing myself.

    The "plan" is for nobody to be interested and for it to just sit here.
    If it starts getting traffic I will figure out how to use the few MB of
    space BigPond "give" me on their server as part of the ADSL plan.

    247 "hits" and still alive :)

    Brian

  5. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
    > all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
    > response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
    > editing a post is really hard in these conditions.
    >
    > Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
    > piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

    Traffic shaping is your friend in cases like these.. especially when
    using an ADSL service..

    cheers,
    GPL

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 at 06:46 GMT, GPLama (aka Bruce)
    > TimC wrote:
    >> One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
    >> all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
    >> response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
    >> editing a post is really hard in these conditions.
    >>
    >> Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
    >> piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

    > Traffic shaping is your friend in cases like these.. especially when
    > using an ADSL service..

    I tried having a go at linux's iptables, but what I tried only ever
    ended up breaking my existing rules (I'm a firewalling luser). Then
    there are the complications that my housemate is on the same
    connection, and we go through a 4 port modem, which doesn't have
    anything more sophisticated than a few rules you can set up for NAT
    and port forwarding. I sure wish he'd bandwidth limit his ISO
    uploads, but I am not really prepared to go out and buy another
    computer whose sole job it is to do some simple firewalling. We
    already have 3 computers sucking down juice in the house, none of
    which are reliable enough to operate as a dedicated firewall and
    traffic shaper.

    All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
    -- Ernest Rutherford

  7. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Brian Watson wrote:
    > Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
    > single image to an obscure thread.
    >
    > Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
    > to a new thread of its own :)
    >
    > If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    > and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
    >
    > http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes
    >
    > Brian

    That's such a nice bike Brian - so Great Gatsby :)

    Although, personally I think the drop bars look better but it looks like
    a bit of a stretch.

    --
    Nick

  8. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    NickZX6R wrote:

    > That's such a nice bike Brian - so Great Gatsby :)
    >
    > Although, personally I think the drop bars look better but it looks like
    > a bit of a stretch.

    You don't want to know the reason I took the drop bars off :) I wanted
    the brake lever for another bike... I had the nice Dia-Compe lever in a
    draw, but it would only fit the flat bars.

    I agree it looks better with the drops, but it _is_ nicer to ride with
    the flats.

    Brian

  9. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Brian Watson wrote:

    > The "plan" is for nobody to be interested and for it to just sit here.
    > If it starts getting traffic I will figure out how to use the few MB of
    > space BigPond "give" me on their server as part of the ADSL plan.

    I put a little page on the work web site about my experiences building a frame, and mentioned it here and on the framebuilders mailing list.

    Six weeks later a colleague sends me a link to thewebserver stats, and I find that my framebuilding webpage is among the top ten AT pages, along with a howto on installing linux on some random dell notebook.

    :)

    Regards,

    Suzy (too tight to pay for her own bandwidth)

  10. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    Brian Watson wrote:
    > If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    > and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

    i quite like the "The Skidstar" =)

    on "The Daily Ride" you have a shot of the handlebars from above-right,
    in this shot it shows the end caps on the bars, with a hex head screw...

    how does this mount in the end of the bar?

    i've not seen these before.

    cheers.

    Kim

  11. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    Kim Hawtin wrote:
    > Brian Watson wrote:
    >
    >> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    >> and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

    > i quite like the "The Skidstar" =)

    ta

    > on "The Daily Ride" you have a shot of the handlebars from above-right,
    > in this shot it shows the end caps on the bars, with a hex head screw...
    >
    > how does this mount in the end of the bar?

    They are Diamond Back brand. They hold into the bars in the same way
    that a quill stem holds into a steerer. I got them "used" for about $5
    on eBay

    > i've not seen these before.
    >
    > cheers.
    >
    > Kim

  12. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > Brian Watson wrote:
    >

    >>The "plan" is for nobody to be interested and for it to just sit

    > here.
    >
    >>If it starts getting traffic I will figure out how to use the few MB

    > of
    >
    >>space BigPond "give" me on their server as part of the ADSL plan.

    > I put a little page on the work web site about my experiences building
    > a frame, and mentioned it here and on the framebuilders mailing list.
    >
    > Six weeks later a colleague sends me a link to thewebserver stats, and
    > I find that my framebuilding webpage is among the top ten AT pages,
    > along with a howto on installing linux on some random dell notebook.

    yeah, but your site has real information!

    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy (too tight to pay for her own bandwidth)

    Me too - I work at home and my employer pays for it. Their policy is
    that we can use their stuff as long as it does not involve any
    incremental cost to them.

    Brian.

  13. kim

    kim Guest

    Brian Watson wrote:
    > Kim Hawtin wrote:
    >> Brian Watson wrote:
    >>> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the
    >>> years and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

    >> i quite like the "The Skidstar" =)

    > ta

    its just the kind of thing that i'm looking to build up =)
    praps with a 3spd SA or 7spd Nexus in the rear =)

    >> on "The Daily Ride" you have a shot of the handlebars from above-right,
    >> in this shot it shows the end caps on the bars, with a hex head screw...
    >> how does this mount in the end of the bar?

    > They are Diamond Back brand. They hold into the bars in the same way
    > that a quill stem holds into a steerer. I got them "used" for about $5
    > on eBay

    i suppose they hold down the grip tape well too =)

    cheers,

    Kim

  14. hippy

    hippy Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > I put a little page on the work web site about my experiences building
    > a frame, and mentioned it here and on the framebuilders mailing list.
    >
    > Six weeks later a colleague sends me a link to thewebserver stats, and
    > I find that my framebuilding webpage is among the top ten AT pages,
    > along with a howto on installing linux on some random dell notebook.

    hehe :)

    Top two sites at my workplace were the footy tipping and one of my
    cycling pages (perhaps the training rides one?). Both tipping and my
    crap have since moved off work's hosting :)

    hippy

  15. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Brian Watson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
    > single image to an obscure thread.
    >
    > Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
    > to a new thread of its own :)
    >
    > If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    > and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
    >
    > http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes
    >
    > Brian

    I remember seeing that Skidstar on the fixedgeargallery site. That is SUCH a
    pretty bike. I'd love to get on, but I bet they're worth a smegging fortune
    and are as rare as the proverbial reciprocating equine droppings, aren't
    they?

  16. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "Brian Watson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
    >>single image to an obscure thread.
    >>
    >>Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
    >>to a new thread of its own :)
    >>
    >>If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
    >>and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
    >>
    >>http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes
    >>
    >>Brian

    > I remember seeing that Skidstar on the fixedgeargallery site. That is SUCH a
    > pretty bike. I'd love to get on, but I bet they're worth a smegging fortune
    > and are as rare as the proverbial reciprocating equine droppings, aren't
    > they?

    Depends - some people like to restore them to original. If you find one
    that is a candidate for restoration and get into a bidding war with
    someone who wants to restore it you would probably have to go up to a
    couple of hundred. I got mine as a bare rusty frame. I can't remember
    how much I paid but I am _sure_ it was <<$100 - pretty sure it was ~$50
    including postage. I dunno if I got lucky or if it was just not
    considered a possible restoration candidate. I know it is not any more
    as I have hacked (nicely) chain guard mounts off.

    Brian.