Brian's Bikes

Brian Watson

Guest
Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
single image to an obscure thread.

Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
to a new thread of its own :)

If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

Brian

Brian Watson wrote:
> Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
> single image to an obscure thread.
>
> Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
> to a new thread of its own :)
>
> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
> and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
>
> http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

Nice site. Clean. My style - but better :D

Only thing I've noticed so far is it could be faster - shout yourself
that ISDN or T1 link you always wanted..

hippy

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 at 06:16 GMT, Brian Watson (aka Bruce)
> Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
> single image to an obscure thread.
>
> Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
> to a new thread of its own :)
>
> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
> and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
>
> http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
editing a post is really hard in these conditions.

Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

>You seem to be implying here that one gets rich after gaining a PhD?

Of course one does. The other 99 out of a hundred get bitter.
-- Paula responding to TimC on ARK

TimC wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 at 06:16 GMT, Brian Watson (aka Bruce)
>
>>Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
>>single image to an obscure thread.
>>
>>Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
>>to a new thread of its own :)
>>
>>If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
>>and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
>>
>>http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes

> One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
> all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
> response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
> editing a post is really hard in these conditions.
>
> Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
> piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

Luckily everything I do is off-line, replicate type stuff (I was never a
fan of slrn anyway - preferred nn) so I will not notice the latency
except when I am browsing myself.

The "plan" is for nobody to be interested and for it to just sit here.
If it starts getting traffic I will figure out how to use the few MB of
space BigPond "give" me on their server as part of the ADSL plan.

247 "hits" and still alive :)

Brian

TimC wrote:
> One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
> all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
> response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
> editing a post is really hard in these conditions.
>
> Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
> piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

Traffic shaping is your friend in cases like these.. especially when
using an ADSL service..

cheers,
GPL

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 at 06:46 GMT, GPLama (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> One day, you'll be typing into slrn on the other end of the ADSL, and
>> all of a sudden.... not much happens. No response. Then a delayed
>> response as the round trip time starts approaching 10 seconds. Wow,
>> editing a post is really hard in these conditions.
>>
>> Then you rememember posting to usenet half an hour ago about your
>> piccie gallery. Damn them all! I want my low latencies back!

> Traffic shaping is your friend in cases like these.. especially when
> using an ADSL service..

I tried having a go at linux's iptables, but what I tried only ever
ended up breaking my existing rules (I'm a firewalling luser). Then
there are the complications that my housemate is on the same
connection, and we go through a 4 port modem, which doesn't have
anything more sophisticated than a few rules you can set up for NAT
and port forwarding. I sure wish he'd bandwidth limit his ISO
uploads, but I am not really prepared to go out and buy another
computer whose sole job it is to do some simple firewalling. We
already have 3 computers sucking down juice in the house, none of
which are reliable enough to operate as a dedicated firewall and
traffic shaper.

All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
-- Ernest Rutherford

Brian Watson wrote:
> Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
> single image to an obscure thread.
>
> Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
> to a new thread of its own :)
>
> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
> and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
>
> http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes
>
> Brian

That's such a nice bike Brian - so Great Gatsby :)

Although, personally I think the drop bars look better but it looks like
a bit of a stretch.

--
Nick

NickZX6R wrote:

> That's such a nice bike Brian - so Great Gatsby :)
>
> Although, personally I think the drop bars look better but it looks like
> a bit of a stretch.

You don't want to know the reason I took the drop bars off :) I wanted
the brake lever for another bike... I had the nice Dia-Compe lever in a
draw, but it would only fit the flat bars.

I agree it looks better with the drops, but it _is_ nicer to ride with
the flats.

Brian

Brian Watson wrote:

> The "plan" is for nobody to be interested and for it to just sit here.
> If it starts getting traffic I will figure out how to use the few MB of
> space BigPond "give" me on their server as part of the ADSL plan.

I put a little page on the work web site about my experiences building a frame, and mentioned it here and on the framebuilders mailing list.

Six weeks later a colleague sends me a link to thewebserver stats, and I find that my framebuilding webpage is among the top ten AT pages, along with a howto on installing linux on some random dell notebook.

:)

Regards,

Suzy (too tight to pay for her own bandwidth)

Brian Watson wrote:
> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
> and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

i quite like the "The Skidstar" =)

on "The Daily Ride" you have a shot of the handlebars from above-right,
in this shot it shows the end caps on the bars, with a hex head screw...

how does this mount in the end of the bar?

i've not seen these before.

cheers.

Kim

Kim Hawtin wrote:
> Brian Watson wrote:
>
>> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
>> and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

> i quite like the "The Skidstar" =)

ta

> on "The Daily Ride" you have a shot of the handlebars from above-right,
> in this shot it shows the end caps on the bars, with a hex head screw...
>
> how does this mount in the end of the bar?

They are Diamond Back brand. They hold into the bars in the same way
that a quill stem holds into a steerer. I got them "used" for about $5
on eBay

suzyj wrote:
> Brian Watson wrote:
>

>>The "plan" is for nobody to be interested and for it to just sit

> here.
>
>>If it starts getting traffic I will figure out how to use the few MB

> of
>
>>space BigPond "give" me on their server as part of the ADSL plan.

> I put a little page on the work web site about my experiences building
> a frame, and mentioned it here and on the framebuilders mailing list.
>
> Six weeks later a colleague sends me a link to thewebserver stats, and
> I find that my framebuilding webpage is among the top ten AT pages,
> along with a howto on installing linux on some random dell notebook.

yeah, but your site has real information!

> Regards,
>
> Suzy (too tight to pay for her own bandwidth)

Me too - I work at home and my employer pays for it. Their policy is
that we can use their stuff as long as it does not involve any
incremental cost to them.

Brian.

Brian Watson wrote:
> Kim Hawtin wrote:
>> Brian Watson wrote:
>>> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the
>>> years and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:

>> i quite like the "The Skidstar" =)

> ta

its just the kind of thing that i'm looking to build up =)
praps with a 3spd SA or 7spd Nexus in the rear =)

>> on "The Daily Ride" you have a shot of the handlebars from above-right,
>> in this shot it shows the end caps on the bars, with a hex head screw...
>> how does this mount in the end of the bar?

> They are Diamond Back brand. They hold into the bars in the same way
> that a quill stem holds into a steerer. I got them "used" for about $5
> on eBay

i suppose they hold down the grip tape well too =)

cheers,

Kim

suzyj wrote:
> I put a little page on the work web site about my experiences building
> a frame, and mentioned it here and on the framebuilders mailing list.
>
> Six weeks later a colleague sends me a link to thewebserver stats, and
> I find that my framebuilding webpage is among the top ten AT pages,
> along with a howto on installing linux on some random dell notebook.

hehe :)

Top two sites at my workplace were the footy tipping and one of my
cycling pages (perhaps the training rides one?). Both tipping and my
**** have since moved off work's hosting :)

hippy

"Brian Watson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
> single image to an obscure thread.
>
> Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
> to a new thread of its own :)
>
> If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
> and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
>
> http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes
>
> Brian

I remember seeing that Skidstar on the fixedgeargallery site. That is SUCH a
pretty bike. I'd love to get on, but I bet they're worth a smegging fortune
and are as rare as the proverbial reciprocating equine droppings, aren't
they?

Resound wrote:
> "Brian Watson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Well, my web server at the end of an ADSL link survived a post of a
>>single image to an obscure thread.
>>
>>Lets see how it handles a "full" set of web pages full of images posted
>>to a new thread of its own :)
>>
>>If you are interested to see what junk I have collected over the years
>>and read a bit of me rambling about it, have a look at:
>>
>>http://businessprojects.com.au/bikes
>>
>>Brian

> I remember seeing that Skidstar on the fixedgeargallery site. That is SUCH a
> pretty bike. I'd love to get on, but I bet they're worth a smegging fortune
> and are as rare as the proverbial reciprocating equine droppings, aren't
> they?

Depends - some people like to restore them to original. If you find one
that is a candidate for restoration and get into a bidding war with
someone who wants to restore it you would probably have to go up to a
couple of hundred. I got mine as a bare rusty frame. I can't remember
how much I paid but I am _sure_ it was <<$100 - pretty sure it was ~$50
including postage. I dunno if I got lucky or if it was just not
considered a possible restoration candidate. I know it is not any more
as I have hacked (nicely) chain guard mounts off.

Brian.