Bridgestone MB-5 shock fork?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by mikefrommi, Jul 25, 2003.

1. mikefrommi

mikefrommi New Member

Greetings from a newbie!

I have had a Bridgestone MB-5 for about 10 years now and am just starting to get back into mountain biking. A couple of friends of mine have some newer bikes - one with full suspension, the other with just the shock fork. They said that a shock fork would help on the bumps when cornering and I have to tend to agree.

My question is, what is a good entry level shock fork that will fit my bike and can one be had for around $100. Any constructive input would be great!

Mike

Tags:

2. Topmounter

Topmounter New Member

For an MB-5, your suspension fork choice will most likely be dictated by what new or used suspension forks you can find that will fit your bike.

So start with sizing:

Your MB-5 "should" have a 1" headtube.

Suspension forks with 1" steerers are a bit rare nowadays since most every MTB manufacturer has moved to 1 1/8" diameter head tubes (inner).

Also, you probably have a threaded headset. You can always replace a threaded headset with a threadless model, but you will also have to swap the stem as well to a threadless model. 1" threaded headsets and stems (using a shim) are pretty easy to find since this is what most road bikes are using currently. Whether you replace your headset and stem will be dictated by the availability of suspension forks with 1" steerer tubes with threads (or the ability to cut threads in to the steerer tube).

Also, the geometry on your MB-5 is probably going to do best with a suspension fork with no more than 2" of travel.

So, get the answer to the following questions, by measuring them yourself, asking knowledgable friends or stopping by your local bike shop:

1) What size is your head tube, 1" or 1 1/8"?
    2) What type of headset and stem do you have, threaded or threadless?

Assuming your bike has a 1" head tube and a threaded headset, you will have to find a new or used suspension fork with the following parameters

- 1" Steerer
    - Steerer that has threads or is capable of having threads cut in to it (and if it already has threads cut into the steerer, MAKE ABSOLUTLEY SURE IT IS LONG ENOUGH FOR YOUR MB-5 FRAME'S HEAD TUBE LENGTH BEFORE BUYING IT, it might have been cut short for a small frame if bought used)
    - ~2" suspension travel

It may be easier to find a suspension fork with a 1" threadless steer, so replacing your headset and stem with a threadless model should give you a few more options.

If you are able to find more than one model suspension fork that will fit your bike, a model that uses elastomer springs (e.g. Manitou) is going to typically be more reliable and easier to service than an air/oil model (e.g. Rock Shox), especially if it is used or an older model. Make sure that the manufacturer of whatever fork you find still sells replacement parts and rebuild kits.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

3. mikefrommi

mikefrommi New Member

Topmounter - Thanks for all of the info!!!!! Kinda getting back into this and am finding there is a whole new world out there compared to when I first bought this bike 10 years ago.

Thanks again,

Mike