Brief Wishlist: What do you think?

xeu

Oct 4, 2003
I'd like to list a few things for any knowledgable cyclists to critique. I did some research and this is what I found.

Lock: ABUS Steel-O-Flex 1000

This is a German-made chain lock not available in the united states, so you have to import it from England. It is the only chain lock recommended by Norwegian insurance companies. You can find a review of it here. BonthroneBikes sells it for the cheapest, at 40 British Pounds, which comes out to be an uneven $67.77

Clothing -

Base Layer: Duofold Hydro-Duct T-shirt

The wicking layer, I mostly chose this for the value (2 shirts for $20). They also have a long-sleeve version.

Insulation Layer: Nike Sphere Pro Wind Shirt

I figured that this layer may also be the top layer unless the weather is really bad, so I chose something that not only keeps you warm but also blocks wind (what the outermost layer must do). This is an innovative material that creates an atmosphere of air to keep you warm (I chose nike because they are the only ones that make it). At $120, it is very expensive.

Outerwear: Nike Rain Shell

Despite the brand name again, this rain shell, at $100, actually seems to be cheaper than some of the others from companies like gore-tex. It has a special stretch membrane fused to an inner layer of microfiber polyester mesh, which both wicks moisture away from your body and doesn’t allow rain to get in. It has a fully zippered front and a rear zippered pocket with a reflective strip; the sides are elasticized and there is a cord along the bottom to ensure a good fit. It’s clear, too, which is a nice touch.

Gloves: Windstopper Micro-Fleece Gloves

I looked towards gore-tex/windstopper for my glove needs, looking specifically for mittens. These gloves are hybrid, allowing you to take the finger-covers off to reveal a half-finger design for warm weather. They are the only windstopper mitts designed specifically for cycling from what I can tell.

Bump. Looking for comments on the lock (supposed to be the best cable lock on the market) and the cold-weather clothes. Thanks:)_

Originally posted by xeu
Bump. Looking for comments on the lock (supposed to be the best cable lock on the market) ... Thanks:)_

I don't think there are too many cyclist who even own a lock. If I am not sitting on her, then I keep her in the bedroom with me ;)

Originally posted by yamaha_mike
I don't think there are too many cyclist who even own a lock. If I am not sitting on her, then I keep her in the bedroom with me ;)

What about for running around doing erans? Or commuting to work/school?

Originally posted by xeu
I lug around a lock. a ligher secure lock would be good.
the rain jacket would only be good i think in lower temps without vents. I bet below 45 degrees. atleast for me.

Originally posted by xeu

Oh. Well I guess someday I will own more than one bike and could get a beater for just running around with.

I wouldn't bother with much more than a piece of string, though, since it takes about 2 seconds to get thru any lock, and so I might as well carry the lightest I could find.

Originally posted by yamaha_mike
Oh. Well I guess someday I will own more than one bike and could get a beater for just running around with.

I wouldn't bother with much more than a piece of string, though, since it takes about 2 seconds to get thru any lock, and so I might as well carry the lightest I could find.

some locks take quite a bit of work on.