Briefcase on a Bicycle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Ornee, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    I am looking for a simple yet secure way to attach a briefcase to a bicycle for commuting. The
    briefcase is 13" X 21" X 5". The briefcase has a strong handle midway on one 21" side. Gross weight
    is usually 20 lb. A lap-top computer is often in the case. I want to use the existing case and not
    switch to some cycling pannier attached case. Easy of attachment/detachment as well as security (I
    want it to stay in place while riding) of the attachment are the most important elements.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Here's an idea. Not pretty, but functional.

    I haven't tried it with a laptop. My case is less than 20 lbs., but it's OK for occasional use.

    -- Sponge rubber on top of rear rack -- Plastic bag over briefcase for dust/water protection --
    Powerful bungee over all

    "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I am looking for a simple yet secure way to attach a briefcase to a
    bicycle
    > for commuting.

  3. Eric Holeman

    Eric Holeman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I haven't tried it with a laptop. My case is less than 20 lbs., but it's OK for occasional use.
    >
    >-- Sponge rubber on top of rear rack -- Plastic bag over briefcase for dust/water protection --
    >Powerful bungee over all

    I use one of those dorky nylon shouler-strapped briefcases that also has a briefcase handle. My
    commuter bike has a cheap made-in-Taiwan rack with a spring-loaded clip. I stick the clip through
    the briefcase handle and add a bungee to further secure things, and I'm on my way.

    --
    ---
    Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

  4. After trying out a Jandd briefcase designed to attach to a rack (it's for sale- contact me if
    interested), I ended up with just throwing my briefcase in a large Ortleib Pannier. If you will
    be carrying other things you could use a pair of panniers to balance against the weight of the
    brief case.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    "Eric Holeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I haven't tried it with a laptop. My case is less than 20 lbs., but it's
    OK
    > >for occasional use.
    > >
    > >-- Sponge rubber on top of rear rack -- Plastic bag over briefcase for dust/water protection --
    > >Powerful bungee over all
    >
    > I use one of those dorky nylon shouler-strapped briefcases that also has a briefcase handle. My
    > commuter bike has a cheap made-in-Taiwan rack with a spring-loaded clip. I stick the clip through
    > the briefcase handle and add a bungee to further secure things, and I'm on my way.
    >
    > --
    > ---
    > Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

  5. Leland

    Leland Guest

    Gary Jacobson wrote:

    > After trying out a Jandd briefcase designed to attach to a rack (it's for sale- contact me if
    > interested), I ended up with just throwing my briefcase in a large Ortleib Pannier. If you will
    > be carrying other things you could use a pair of panniers to balance against the weight of the
    > brief case.
    >
    > Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    I'll put in a plug for the Nashbar Townie Baskets http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=8641& they
    are cheaper than most other options, can hold just about whatever fits (water melons, milk jugs,
    carry out food, found tools...), & hold up quite well (8 years & counting though I have replaced the
    mounting bungee cord). Just drop your briefcase in & ride. A bungee will keep it from bouncing out
    if that worries you & plastic bags will keep things dry.

    --
    Leland Mayne Dept of Biochem. & Biophys. University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA 19104