brifter setup

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Resound, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Resound

    Resound Guest

    It occured to me the other day that I never ride in the drops. I don't race,
    I'm a commuter so getting all tucked and aero really isn't a priority is.
    Riding on the hood means I have crappy braking though. So I started thinking
    about the possible merits of swapping the drop bars for a set of
    bullhorn/messenger type bars and mentally it was looking pretty good until I
    realised that the little thumbknob on my Sora brifters is only really
    reachable from the hoods. I could go Tiagra or 105 brifters to get the
    little inner lever instead but they're indexed for 9spd and I don't really
    want to swap out to a full 9spd setup...I can't really justify the expense.
    Sooo...what are my options? I found these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-Ulte...ryZ36140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    which aren't cheap, but are indexed for 8spd. I've also been considering
    basic aero brake levers and indexed barcons on the ends of the bullhorns.

    Thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Resound wrote:

    > It occured to me the other day that I never ride in the drops. I don't race,
    > I'm a commuter so getting all tucked and aero really isn't a priority is.
    > Riding on the hood means I have crappy braking though. So I started thinking
    > about the possible merits of swapping the drop bars for a set of
    > bullhorn/messenger type bars and mentally it was looking pretty good until I
    > realised that the little thumbknob on my Sora brifters is only really
    > reachable from the hoods. I could go Tiagra or 105 brifters to get the
    > little inner lever instead but they're indexed for 9spd and I don't really
    > want to swap out to a full 9spd setup...I can't really justify the expense.
    > Sooo...what are my options? I found these:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-Ulte...ryZ36140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    > which aren't cheap, but are indexed for 8spd. I've also been considering
    > basic aero brake levers and indexed barcons on the ends of the bullhorns.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    I thought you're meant to be able to reach shifters from drops? You can
    on Campy's - if the curve in the drop is sharp enough

  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > It occured to me the other day that I never ride in the drops. I don't race,
    > I'm a commuter so getting all tucked and aero really isn't a priority is.
    > Riding on the hood means I have crappy braking though.

    That shouldn't be the case. Having low end road bike brakes (sora
    shifters and what calipers?) will be the cause of the less than optimal
    braking.

    >So I started thinking
    > about the possible merits of swapping the drop bars for a set of
    > bullhorn/messenger type bars and mentally it was looking pretty good until I
    > realised that the little thumbknob on my Sora brifters is only really
    > reachable from the hoods. I could go Tiagra or 105 brifters to get the
    > little inner lever instead but they're indexed for 9spd and I don't really
    > want to swap out to a full 9spd setup...I can't really justify the expense.
    > Sooo...what are my options? I found these:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-Ulte...ryZ36140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    > which aren't cheap, but are indexed for 8spd. I've also been considering
    > basic aero brake levers and indexed barcons on the ends of the bullhorns.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    you can always use friction shifters on your bar ends or *cough*
    downtube :)
    cheap, simple, reliable ...

  4. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Resound wrote:
    >> It occured to me the other day that I never ride in the drops. I don't
    >> race,
    >> I'm a commuter so getting all tucked and aero really isn't a priority is.
    >> Riding on the hood means I have crappy braking though.

    > That shouldn't be the case. Having low end road bike brakes (sora
    > shifters and what calipers?) will be the cause of the less than optimal
    > braking.
    >

    >>So I started thinking
    >> about the possible merits of swapping the drop bars for a set of
    >> bullhorn/messenger type bars and mentally it was looking pretty good
    >> until I
    >> realised that the little thumbknob on my Sora brifters is only really
    >> reachable from the hoods. I could go Tiagra or 105 brifters to get the
    >> little inner lever instead but they're indexed for 9spd and I don't
    >> really
    >> want to swap out to a full 9spd setup...I can't really justify the
    >> expense.
    >> Sooo...what are my options? I found these:
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-Ulte...ryZ36140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >> which aren't cheap, but are indexed for 8spd. I've also been considering
    >> basic aero brake levers and indexed barcons on the ends of the bullhorns.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?

    > you can always use friction shifters on your bar ends or *cough*
    > downtube :)
    > cheap, simple, reliable ...

    Nowhere to mount downtube shifters on an OCR3. As for friction shifters on
    the bar ends, that's where the barcons come in as an option. They're looking
    better all the time.

  5. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004

    I think your last suggestion there is similat to what I've done here, although without the aero brake levers : http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/87985570/

    It works really well, but looks completely fugly...

  6. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > Resound wrote:
    > > It occured to me the other day that I never ride in the drops. I don't race,
    > > I'm a commuter so getting all tucked and aero really isn't a priority is.
    > > Riding on the hood means I have crappy braking though.

    > That shouldn't be the case. Having low end road bike brakes (sora
    > shifters and what calipers?) will be the cause of the less than optimal
    > braking.

    <snip>

    WTF? Surely most people can generate more torque on the brake levers
    from the drops than they can from the hoods.

    I get much better braking on the drops than on the hoods, despite having
    good brakes.

    Tam

  7. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    If that's your reason for wanting to get new bars etc then consider sorting out your brakes. Properly adjusted braking on the hoods is just fine 'cause that's where you're ment to be 90% of the time.

    Next time you watch a road race just look at where the majority of the riders have their hands, they're not in the drops, they're on the hoods. Even pulling turns on the front on a breakaway most people ride on the hoods.

    It's very rare I get in the drops myself but it's nice to have the option :)

  8. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    I can quite happily lock up both wheels from the hoods, I don't really want any more torque than that! ;-)

  9. Resound

    Resound Guest

    > I think your last suggestion there is similat to what I've done here,
    > although without the aero brake levers :
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/87985570/
    >
    > It works really well, but looks completely fugly...
    >

    > --
    > eddiec

    Something like that except that with barcons and aero levers all the cables
    would be under the tape.

  10. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Bleve wrote:
    > >
    > > Resound wrote:
    > > > It occured to me the other day that I never ride in the drops. I don't race,
    > > > I'm a commuter so getting all tucked and aero really isn't a priority is.
    > > > Riding on the hood means I have crappy braking though.

    > > That shouldn't be the case. Having low end road bike brakes (sora
    > > shifters and what calipers?) will be the cause of the less than optimal
    > > braking.

    > <snip>
    >
    > WTF? Surely most people can generate more torque on the brake levers
    > from the drops than they can from the hoods.

    You should still get ample braking on the hoods.

  11. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    >>

    >> WTF? Surely most people can generate more torque on the brake levers
    >> from the drops than they can from the hoods.
    >>
    >> I get much better braking on the drops than on the hoods, despite
    >> having
    >> good brakes.
    >>

    > I can quite happily lock up both wheels from the hoods, I don't really
    > want any more torque than that! ;-)
    >

    > --
    > EuanB

    Ah, see I can't get close to locking the front wheel or getting the back
    wheel off the deck. Granted that could be partly laid at the feet of the
    Tektro calipers on the OCR3 but I stop harder if I get into the drops and
    grab a big handful.

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-02, Resound (aka Bruce)

    > "EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I can quite happily lock up both wheels from the hoods, I don't really
    >> want any more torque than that! ;-)
    >>

    > Ah, see I can't get close to locking the front wheel or getting the back
    > wheel off the deck. Granted that could be partly laid at the feet of the
    > Tektro calipers on the OCR3 but I stop harder if I get into the drops and
    > grab a big handful.

    Same. So this is a function of it being an OCR3 eh?

    I thought it was just "normal". Explains why I seem to be the only
    one around who gets in the hoods when I know I'll be needing a bit of
    brake in the near future.

    --
    TimC
    If it weren't for C, we'd be writing programs in BASI, PASAL, and OBOL.

  13. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    Most people find that grabing a handful of front brake will lift the
    back end, and as a result are quite wary of grabbing the front brake
    to hard. But if you cant, try cleaning the rims's braking surface and
    the brake pad surface, or prehaps even the pads themselves. Low end
    shimano pads brake exceptionally well, usually at the expense of pad
    life.

    Changing the bars to a flat bar may mean also changing the stem to a
    longer stem to retain some length in the cockpit. If you go this path,
    try some deore mtb brifters, they'll surely give you enough of a lever
    to stop pretty well.

  14. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    EuanB wrote:

    > I can quite happily lock up both wheels from the hoods, I don't really
    > want any more torque than that! ;-)

    Bloody hell, I dream of being able to do that. What kind of pads are you
    using?

    DaveB

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I can't get close to locking the front wheel or getting the back
    > wheel off the deck.

    Neither can I if I don't regularly clean my rims but especially the
    brake blocks. I sure can after a good clean, though (which often
    involves picking bits of Al and grit out of the blocks with something
    pointy).

    --
    Shane Stanley

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > Bleve wrote:

    > > > That shouldn't be the case. Having low end road bike brakes (sora
    > > > shifters and what calipers?) will be the cause of the less than optimal
    > > > braking.

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > WTF? Surely most people can generate more torque on the brake levers
    > > from the drops than they can from the hoods.

    > You should still get ample braking on the hoods.

    I do under normal conitions, but wouldn't rely upon it in the wet or on
    a big descent. Men tend to underestimate how much difference _little
    fingers_ can make.

    Tam

  17. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Shane Stanley wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I can't get close to locking the front wheel or getting the back
    > > wheel off the deck.

    > Neither can I if I don't regularly clean my rims but especially the
    > brake blocks. I sure can after a good clean, though (which often
    > involves picking bits of Al and grit out of the blocks with something
    > pointy).
    >
    > --
    > Shane Stanley

    It helps if you're a lightweight :D

    I haven't gotten the rear wheel up despite braking hard because MTB
    tendencies have me throwing my bum back and using both brakes. (Please
    do not post a link to Sheldon's braking article, we have all read it a
    million times.)

    Tam

  18. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:

    > It helps if you're a lightweight :D

    I'm 92kg, and can lift the back wheel when braking from the hoods.

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
    > Men tend to underestimate how much difference _little
    > fingers_ can make.

    FNARR?

    --
    TimC
    "No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

  20. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:

    > Men tend to underestimate how much difference
    > _little fingers_ can make.

    Hmm, thumb to ring-finger span is 270mm. Surely that's normal. :)

    Theo