brifter setup

eddiec wrote:

> I think your last suggestion there is similat to what I've done here,
> although without the aero brake levers :
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/17285052@N00/87985570/
>
> It works really well, but looks completely fugly...

My road bike has down-tube friction shifters and the brake cables are in the
bars, not under the tape. Looks very clean.

Theo

Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > It helps if you're a lightweight :D

> I'm 92kg, and can lift the back wheel when braking from the hoods.

Nah, I meant, being a lightweight makes it easier to stop the bike, and
you're less likely to lift the back wheel.

Duh. ;)

Tam

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > Men tend to underestimate how much difference
> > _little fingers_ can make.

> Hmm, thumb to ring-finger span is 270mm. Surely that's normal. :)
>
> Theo

Thumb to RING FINGER? Holy carp! Mine is 190mm!

Tam

TimC wrote:

> On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > Men tend to underestimate how much difference _little
> > fingers_ can make.

> FNARR?

WTF? too many letters in your TLA.

Tam

PS - the other day, our pay rep asked what a soldier's first name was. I
said "Andy, his initials are AJ." She told me (very seriously) "Wow,
there's so many AJs in the army!" (ba doom tish!)

Resound said:
Something like that except that with barcons and aero levers all the cables
would be under the tape.

Here's what I did with my roadie:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/85807585/

- Profile Airwing bullhorns
- 8 speed lever for Dura Ace
- Salsa crosscross levers - these are usually run in parallel with drop bar levers.

I've set them up as primary levers. The salsas are fecking *vicious* -they will stop you. Immediately as I've discovered.

On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>>
>> On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>> > Men tend to underestimate how much difference _little
>> > fingers_ can make.

>> FNARR?

> WTF? too many letters in your TLA.

Not a TLA.
First definition in:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fnarr

> PS - the other day, our pay rep asked what a soldier's first name was. I
> said "Andy, his initials are AJ." She told me (very seriously) "Wow,
> there's so many AJs in the army!" (ba doom tish!)

I doangeddit.

--
TimC
-- TimC spinning in the corner.

On 2006-02-02, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
> - Profile Airwing bullhorns
> - 8 speed lever for Dura Ace
> - Salsa crosscross levers - these are usually run in parallel with drop
> bar levers.
>
> I've set them up as primary levers. The salsas are fecking *vicious*
> -they will stop you. Immediately as I've discovered.

But the cat went on to live, which is a good thing :)

--
TimC
"The application failed to fail"

On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>
>> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>>
>> > Men tend to underestimate how much difference
>> > _little fingers_ can make.

>> Hmm, thumb to ring-finger span is 270mm. Surely that's normal. :)
>>
>> Theo

> Thumb to RING FINGER? Holy carp! Mine is 190mm!

It just means.... nah... won't say it :)

--
TimC
#define FUZZ 0.0001 /*author: Marc Goodman in ARK*/

TimC wrote:

> On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > TimC wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
> >>
> >> FNARR?

> > WTF? too many letters in your TLA.

> Not a TLA.
> First definition in:
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fnarr

no www access dude, will check tomoz.

> > PS - the other day, our pay rep asked what a soldier's first name was. I
> > said "Andy, his initials are AJ." She told me (very seriously) "Wow,
> > there's so many AJs in the army!" (ba doom tish!)

> I doangeddit.

Yeah you do!

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > It helps if you're a lightweight :D

> I'm 92kg, and can lift the back wheel when braking from the hoods.

And I even edge out Bleve, just...

--
Shane Stanley

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
>>Resound wrote:
>>
>>>It occured to me the other day that I never ride in the drops. I don't race,
>>>I'm a commuter so getting all tucked and aero really isn't a priority is.
>>>Riding on the hood means I have crappy braking though.

>>That shouldn't be the case. Having low end road bike brakes (sora
>>shifters and what calipers?) will be the cause of the less than optimal
>>braking.

> <snip>
>
> WTF? Surely most people can generate more torque on the brake levers
> from the drops than they can from the hoods.
>
> I get much better braking on the drops than on the hoods, despite having
> good brakes.
>
> Tam

I think that's what the original poster is saying - "Riding on the hood
means I have crappy braking though" - i.e. he always rides on the hoods,
and thus gets worse braking performance than is otherwise possible...

daniel s wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:

> >>That shouldn't be the case. Having low end road bike brakes (sora
> >>shifters and what calipers?) will be the cause of the less than optimal
> >>braking.

> > <snip>
> >
> > WTF? Surely most people can generate more torque on the brake levers
> > from the drops than they can from the hoods.
> >
> > I get much better braking on the drops than on the hoods, despite having
> > good brakes.
> >
> > Tam

> I think that's what the original poster is saying - "Riding on the hood
> means I have crappy braking though" - i.e. he always rides on the hoods,
> and thus gets worse braking performance than is otherwise possible...

Yeah dude, and I was supporting the original poster, and disagreeing
with the second poster... is anyone else going to misunderstand me this
afternoon, or come straight out and call me stupid? Grrr. Why can't I
just be premenstrual or something?!

Tam

On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Grrr. Why can't I
> just be premenstrual or something?!

Well, you can *say* you are ... how are we going to know the difference?
;)

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TimC wrote:
> >
> > On 2006-02-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
> > > Men tend to underestimate how much difference _little
> > > fingers_ can make.

> > FNARR?

> WTF? too many letters in your TLA.
>
> Tam
>
> PS - the other day, our pay rep asked what a soldier's first name was. I
> said "Andy, his initials are AJ." She told me (very seriously) "Wow,
> there's so many AJs in the army!" (ba doom tish!)

My wife's initials are A.J. and she got sick of that joke when she was in
the Army (she did 10 years). I always get another pretty funny joke given
that my initials are D.R. ......hahahahaha, I have never heard that one
before!!!

Gags

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> PS - the other day, our pay rep asked what a soldier's first name
> was. I said "Andy, his initials are AJ." She told me (very seriously)
> "Wow, there's so many AJs in the army!" (ba doom tish!)

Ya lost me. What's an AJ.

1. A J

A.J is a slang that started in Maple, Ontario, Canada that means "Vodka".
Similar to the slang for Marijuana (M.J)
??

Theo

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>> Tamyka Bell wrote

>>> WTF? too many letters in your TLA.

>> Not a TLA.

Of course not, it has five letters.

Theo

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> Ah, see I can't get close to locking the front wheel or getting the back
> wheel off the deck. Granted that could be partly laid at the feet of the
> Tektro calipers on the OCR3 but I stop harder if I get into the drops and
> grab a big handful.

Firstly, you sure as hell don't want to lock the front wheel. Secondly, get
rid of that Tektro mush. Get some stiffer brake calipers. Then it's
problem solved!

I had some no-name OEM dual-pivot brakes I put on my ride to work frame,
with some 105 levers. The first emergency reasonably 'urgent' stop I had to
do left me wanting.... I replaced the nasty pads on them with Kool-stops.
Still rubbish. You could actually see the calipers flex. Put my old 9spd
Dura-ace calipers on and has worked perfectly ever since.....

(Moral of the story - it's probably not the levers, get nice cables, housing
and calipers, adjust the brakes so you are able to brake 'on the hoods' and
you should have no problem with Sora. If my brakes are adjusted up too much
I can't get enough leverage on the hoods no matter what the brake - needs a
bit of a mechanical advantage to help out!)

"Gemma_k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >

>> Ah, see I can't get close to locking the front wheel or getting the back
>> wheel off the deck. Granted that could be partly laid at the feet of the
>> Tektro calipers on the OCR3 but I stop harder if I get into the drops and
>> grab a big handful.
>>

> Firstly, you sure as hell don't want to lock the front wheel. Secondly,
> get
> rid of that Tektro mush. Get some stiffer brake calipers. Then it's
> problem solved!
>
> I had some no-name OEM dual-pivot brakes I put on my ride to work frame,
> with some 105 levers. The first emergency reasonably 'urgent' stop I had
> do left me wanting.... I replaced the nasty pads on them with Kool-stops.
> Still rubbish. You could actually see the calipers flex. Put my old
> 9spd
> Dura-ace calipers on and has worked perfectly ever since.....
>
> (Moral of the story - it's probably not the levers, get nice cables,
> housing
> and calipers, adjust the brakes so you are able to brake 'on the hoods'
> and
> you should have no problem with Sora. If my brakes are adjusted up too
> much
> I can't get enough leverage on the hoods no matter what the brake - needs
> bit of a mechanical advantage to help out!)

I agree with what you're saying, but I still maintain that there's no point
in spending all my time in the hoods. I've scored myself a nice pair of
******-Ace non-STI brake levers, and some 8spd indexed barcons (maybe
Ultegra, maybe older spec DA, there appears to be some confusion) and a pair
of bullhorns are waiting at Abbotsford Cycles with my name on them. I will
therefore be able to grab a big handful of lever at will as is only right
and natural. All of this does not of course preclude me from getting a
proper grownup caliper for the front at a later date.

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > PS - the other day, our pay rep asked what a soldier's first name
> > was. I said "Andy, his initials are AJ." She told me (very seriously)
> > "Wow, there's so many AJs in the army!" (ba doom tish!)

> Ya lost me. What's an AJ.
>
> 1. A J

Army Jerk.

[

I thought you're meant to be able to reach shifters from drops? You can
on Campy's - if the curve in the drop is sharp enough

Tam can you please recomend any such bars with the sharp curve? Its just what lm after, the drop-a sharp curve with length as well?
thanks jan