Brifters on MTB with Shimano 7sp

Peon

Guest
Hi to all!
I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.

Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
3303-7:
this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
Bikes...
On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?

2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
mechanism):
Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

3- Using Modolo Morphos levers
Today I spoke with a technician from Modolo (I'm Italian!). He said me that
they have not tested the levers with front MTB triples and it should not
work with that cable amount difference (19.5mm MTB vs 13.5mm Road). Maybe,
is it possible to make (with this levers) the same modification described
from CTC?

What solution should I go for? Have you got other suggestions/experiences to
tell me about?

Thanks a lot!

Ciao ciaoo!
Matteo
ZA

Milano - Italia

On 2007-08-23, Peon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi to all!
> I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
> mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.
>
> Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
> I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
> components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

You forgot option 4.

4: installing a 2nd hand road crankset.

Probably the cheapest option.

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

On Aug 23, 5:02 am, "Peon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi to all!
> I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
> mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.
>
> Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
> I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
> components (but! This will not discourage me!!)
>
> 1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
> 3303-7:
> this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
> Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
> Bikes...
> On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
> front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
> arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
> from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?
>
> 2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
> mechanism):
> Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
> are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
> Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
> Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

Do this..make the right ERGO 8s, use a Campagnolo rear derailleur,
long cage and any front der/crank combo..plus the levers can be
overhauled...It'll shift 7s anything well.

> 3- Using Modolo Morphos levers
> Today I spoke with a technician from Modolo (I'm Italian!). He said me that
> they have not tested the levers with front MTB triples and it should not
> work with that cable amount difference (19.5mm MTB vs 13.5mm Road). Maybe,
> is it possible to make (with this levers) the same modification described
> from CTC?
>
> What solution should I go for? Have you got other suggestions/experiences to
> tell me about?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Ciao ciaoo!
> Matteo
> ZA
>
> Milano - Italia

"Joel Mayes" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> You forgot option 4.
> 4: installing a 2nd hand road crankset.
> Probably the cheapest option.

Probably, but I'd like to keep my mountain gears on the front...

Thanks!

Ciao ciaoo!
Matteo
ZA

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> ha scritto
nel messaggio news:[email protected]...

>> 2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
>> mechanism):
>> Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The
>> Campys
>> are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
>> Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
>> Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

> Do this..make the right ERGO 8s, use a Campagnolo rear derailleur,
> long cage [...]

Reading CTC's page I noticed that Campagnolo 9speed has 3.0mm cable pull.
This, multiplied for 1.7mm (gear ratio of Shimano derailleurs), makes 5.1mm:
nearly my 7-speed spacing (5.0mm)!
Should it work?

> [...] and any front der/crank combo..plus the levers can be
> overhauled...It'll shift 7s anything well.

So, Ergo *will* work with mountain bike crankset! WOW!!

Thanks!

Ciao ciaoo!
Matteo
ZA

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:02:11 +0200, "Peon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi to all!
> I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
>mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.
>
>Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
>I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
>components (but! This will not discourage me!!)
>
>1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
>3303-7:
>this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
>Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
>Bikes...
>On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
>front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
>arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
>from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?
>
>2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
>mechanism):
>Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
>are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
>Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
>Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

I'd think you could just use pre2006 9s Ergo to get the ratchety front der and
connect the rear der using the hubbub cabling.

Ron

On Aug 23, 6:00 am, RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:02:11 +0200, "Peon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Hi to all!
> > I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
> >mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.

> >Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
> >I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
> >components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

> >1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
> >3303-7:
> >this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
> >Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
> >Bikes...
> >On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
> >front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
> >arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
> >from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?

> >2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
> >mechanism):
> >Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
> >are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
> >Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
> >Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

> I'd think you could just use pre2006 9s Ergo to get the ratchety front der and
> connect the rear der using the hubbub cabling.
>
> Ron- Hide quoted text -

Don't do the Hubbub with 9s ergos unless you have an 8sp cassette.
Unmodified it shifts 7sp with a Shimano mech. 8 with Hubbub.

And yes, I've done it (both 7sp unmodified and 8sp w/Hubbub, with 9sp
Mirage brifters and an RSX RD), so I'm not talking out my butt.

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> Don't do the Hubbub with 9s ergos unless you have an 8sp cassette.
> Unmodified it shifts 7sp with a Shimano mech. 8 with Hubbub.
>
> And yes, I've done it (both 7sp unmodified and 8sp w/Hubbub, with 9sp
> Mirage brifters and an RSX RD), so I'm not talking out my butt.

First of all: thanks!! We are in the same situation!

Ah! In an italian newsgroup someone suggested me to use 10sp Ergo (2.8mm
cable pull x 1.7 gear ratio = 4,76mm of spacing) instead of 9sp (3.0mm x 1.7
= 5.1mm), because of upgradeability but, as you say, I could use 8sp
cassette also with 9sp Ergos...

Your suggestion convinced me! I'll look for 9sp Campagnolo ErgoPowers!

Thanks again!

Ciao ciaoo!
Teo
ZA