Briko Klip Kit

Scrumpyjoe

Guest
Other than Briko Klip Kit sunglasses, are there any other cycling glasses that take prescription
lenses as an insert?

Try Rudy Project Kerosene, Ekynox or Rydon.

www.rudyproject.com for details.

I have them and they are top draw.

Dave

"ScrumpyJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Other than Briko Klip Kit sunglasses, are there any other cycling glasses that take prescription
> lenses as an insert?

> "ScrumpyJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Other than Briko Klip Kit sunglasses, are there any other cycling
glasses
> > that take prescription lenses as an insert?

"David Hart" <[email protected]> answered:
> Try Rudy Project Kerosene, Ekynox or Rydon.
>
> www.rudyproject.com for details.
>
> I have them and they are top draw.

I can vouch for the Kerosenes after 2.5 years usage with the prescription lens option. A friend
recently bought the Perception, again with the prescription lens option, and they look the business
complete with flip up main lenses leaving the prescription lenses in place.

Pete

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:02:03 +0000, Peter B wrote:

>> "ScrumpyJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Other than Briko Klip Kit sunglasses, are there any other cycling
> glasses
>> > that take prescription lenses as an insert?
>>

> "David Hart" <[email protected]> answered:
>> Try Rudy Project Kerosene, Ekynox or Rydon.
>>
>> www.rudyproject.com for details.
>>
>> I have them and they are top draw.
>
> I can vouch for the Kerosenes after 2.5 years usage with the prescription lens option. A friend
> recently bought the Perception, again with the prescription lens option, and they look the
> business complete with flip up main lenses leaving the prescription lenses in place.
>
> Pete

Thanks for the pointers. Nice glasses, shame about the shitty website. Any ideas as to a price guide
for the Kerosene, Ekynox and Rydon models?

Try http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/ have them on offer at the moment.

ScrumpyJoe wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:02:03 +0000, Peter B wrote:
>>> "ScrumpyJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>> I can vouch for the Kerosenes after 2.5 years usage with the prescription lens option.

> Thanks for the pointers. Nice glasses, shame about the shitty website. Any ideas as to a price
> guide for the Kerosene, Ekynox and Rydon models?

I've got both Briko Klips and Rudys Kerosenes.The Rudys are far superior. The Brikos cost around £85
inc. lenses 3 years ago, the Rudys £120 last year. The Brikos have had to have 2 new front lenses,
as they get brittle as they age, and the inserts sit too close to the eyebrow/forehead,so if you
sweat a lot, the sweat runs down the glasses, and gets into your eyes.The Rudys are much more like
normal glasses, and are a lot more sturdier,and well built. There is a 'cycling' optician in
Wolverhampton who supplied my Rudys, if you want his details, e-mail me. Alan.
--
To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the
North Midlands.

ScrumpyJoe wrote:
> Other than Briko Klip Kit sunglasses, are there any other cycling glasses that take prescription
> lenses as an insert?

Yes but....

I bought Rudy Project Kerosene after recommendations here and since buying them and having two sets
of lenses fitted to the insert they are still unwearable. According to an optician friend their
wearability is very much tied to prescription. Like many I'm astigmatic and with the Kerosene I have
the sensation of looking out of two goldfish bowls (one might be bearable) and everything is a very
long way away.... That's the really bad sensation.

Anyway my optician friend counsels that anyone contemplating clip in lenses should find as flat a
spectacle as possible (the Kerosene are quite curved which apparently doesn't help).

There's a dialogue ongoing at the moment as to who's to blame the dispenser or the marketing hype
and it's way off being resolved, suffice to say I haven't had any use out of sunglasses that cost
close on £200.

ScrumpyJoe wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers. Nice glasses, shame about the shitty website.

Use the US website - far better organised.

ScrumpyJoe wrote:
> Other than Briko Klip Kit sunglasses, are there any other cycling glasses that take prescription
> lenses as an insert?

I wanted some cycling gogs, mainly to reduce the watering that happens when going downhill. I don't
like the look of 'cycling' sun glasses and wouldn't be seen dead in them off the bike and am blind
as a bat with out my specs and wanted varifocals so I could read a map.

As I was getting some new specs due to the progress of ageing and the opticians all do second frames
free, I got a pair as 'aviator' style photochromic varifocals. Pricey, but they are proper specs,
you don't have to take them off or faff about with lenses when it gets dark, you only look a little
bit of a **** and they do stop my eyes streaming going downhill.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:02:33 +0000, Tenex wrote:

> ScrumpyJoe wrote:
>> Other than Briko Klip Kit sunglasses, are there any other cycling glasses that take prescription
>> lenses as an insert?
>
> Yes but....
>
> I bought Rudy Project Kerosene after recommendations here and since buying them and having two
> sets of lenses fitted to the insert they are still unwearable. According to an optician friend
> their wearability is very much tied to prescription. Like many I'm astigmatic and with the
> Kerosene I have the sensation of looking out of two goldfish bowls (one might be bearable) and
> everything is a very long way away.... That's the really bad sensation.
>
> Anyway my optician friend counsels that anyone contemplating clip in lenses should find as flat a
> spectacle as possible (the Kerosene are quite curved which apparently doesn't help).
>
> There's a dialogue ongoing at the moment as to who's to blame the dispenser or the marketing hype
> and it's way off being resolved, suffice to say I haven't had any use out of sunglasses that cost
> close on £200.

Thanks for the warning. I guess that I won't suffer this problem because my one eye is not
correctable and thus any lens over it is just a balance lens, while my 'good' eye is Sphere -1.25,
Cyl -0.75 and axis 25 with no other corrections.

Maybe I just not looking (ha ha) in the right place but there really does seem to be a shortage of
cycling sunglases that take clip ins. I would go for normal sunglasses but I can't tolerate
contact lenses.

"ScrumpyJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the pointers. Nice glasses, shame about the shitty website. Any ideas as to a price
> guide for the Kerosene, Ekynox and Rydon models?

IIRC the Kerosenes were £54, the clips an extra £30 plus of course prescription lenses to suit
taking the total in my case to £120ish.

Oh, be careful if you have a very strong prescription, there is a limit for the Kerosenes,
-4 perhaps?

Pete

ScrumpyJoe wrote:
> Thanks for the warning. I guess that I won't suffer this problem because my one eye is not
> correctable and thus any lens over it is just a balance lens, while my 'good' eye is Sphere -1.25,
> Cyl -0.75 and axis 25 with no other corrections.
>
> Maybe I just not looking (ha ha) in the right place but there really does seem to be a shortage of
> cycling sunglases that take clip ins. I would go for normal sunglasses but I can't tolerate
> contact lenses.

Would prescription sunglasses for £99 suit you? If so they are available from the lab I used.

Peter B wrote:
> Oh, be careful if you have a very strong prescription, there is a limit for the Kerosenes, -4
> perhaps?
>
> Pete

I'm well inside that but having problems.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:03:36 +0000, SabineUK wrote:

> ScrumpyJoe [email protected] said:
>
>>Maybe I just not looking (ha ha) in the right place but there really does seem to be a shortage of
>>cycling sunglases that take clip ins.
>
> What's the objection to the Klip Kit? Granted, I've never used any other cycling specs, but
> especially for the money I'm pretty happy with the Brikos. Certainly if I'm moving at any pace
> they're much better air deflectors than normal glasses.
>
> John

There's no objection to the Klip Kit per se. It's just that I wasn't aware of other products and
since everyone else here has suggested that I either look at the Briko's or the Rudy Project range I
conclude that:

1. These are the only two brands worth looking at.
2. These are the *only* brands that support clip-ins for prescription lenses.

Thus it leads me to the conclusion that in a market that appears to be awash with cycling sunglasses
of all descriptions, the cyclist who requires prescription lenses is not well served.

A.Lee wrote:
> ScrumpyJoe wrote:

>>>I can vouch for the Kerosenes after 2.5 years usage with the prescription lens option.
>>

>>Thanks for the pointers. Nice glasses, shame about the shitty website. Any ideas as to a price
>>guide for the Kerosene, Ekynox and Rydon models?
>

> I've got both Briko Klips and Rudys Kerosenes.The Rudys are far superior. The Brikos cost around
> £85 inc. lenses 3 years ago, the Rudys £120 last year. The Brikos have had to have 2 new front
> lenses, as they get brittle as they age, and the inserts sit too close to the eyebrow/forehead,so
> if you sweat a lot, the sweat runs down the glasses, and gets into your eyes.The Rudys are much
> more like normal glasses, and are a lot more sturdier,and well built. There is a 'cycling'
> optician in Wolverhampton who supplied my Rudys, if you want his details, e-mail me. Alan.

would that be Malcolm Wilson

--
Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:26:37 +0000, Tenex wrote:

> ScrumpyJoe wrote:
>> Thanks for the warning. I guess that I won't suffer this problem because my one eye is not
>> correctable and thus any lens over it is just a balance lens, while my 'good' eye is Sphere
>> -1.25, Cyl -0.75 and axis 25 with no other corrections.
>>
>> Maybe I just not looking (ha ha) in the right place but there really does seem to be a shortage
>> of cycling sunglases that take clip ins. I would go for normal sunglasses but I can't tolerate
>> contact lenses.
>
> Would prescription sunglasses for £99 suit you? If so they are available from the lab I used.

Thanks for the thought, I already have prescription sunglasses. I think what I need is something
that has a little more height on the lens over the bridge because it is the sunlight coming over the
top of the glasses when I go head down, eyes up that gives me the problem.

Adidas Evil Eye - or something similar? I want prescription lenses but may just get a pair made up
as ordinary specs. Not cool but optically best?

ScrumpyJoe wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:03:36 +0000, SabineUK wrote:
>

>>ScrumpyJoe [email protected] said:
>>

>>>Maybe I just not looking (ha ha) in the right place but there really does seem to be a shortage
>>>of cycling sunglases that take clip ins.
>>
>>What's the objection to the Klip Kit? Granted, I've never used any other cycling specs, but
>>especially for the money I'm pretty happy with the Brikos. Certainly if I'm moving at any pace
>>they're much better air deflectors than normal glasses.
>>
>>John
>

> There's no objection to the Klip Kit per se. It's just that I wasn't aware of other products and
> since everyone else here has suggested that I either look at the Briko's or the Rudy Project range
> I conclude that:
>
> 1. These are the only two brands worth looking at.
> 2. These are the *only* brands that support clip-ins for prescription lenses.
>
> Thus it leads me to the conclusion that in a market that appears to be awash with cycling
> sunglasses of all descriptions, the cyclist who requires prescription lenses is not well served.

Bolle do them, been using the for years. Current pair are Parole, with clip-ins.

Also think a company called Smiths do them as well.

--
Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply

"ScrumpyJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think what I need is something that has a little more height on the
lens over
> the bridge because it is the sunlight coming over the top of the glasses when I go head down, eyes
> up that gives me the problem.

Which, now you mention it, the Kerosenes achieve.

Pete