BRIKO specs - Klip Kit?

Tenex

Guest
Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit model
- anyone know?

Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
certain size/spec.

How do Briko rate?

"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
> Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
> model - anyone know?

If they are like rudy project you get an RX standard frame into which your friendly local optician
can fit a lens.

"Tenex" [email protected] said:

>Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
>model - anyone know?

Doubt it. And if they do, they'll charge handsomely for it.

>Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
>certain size/spec.

Yep, that's the one. Buy Klip Kit, hand over to optician with prescription, pay required amount of
money. High Street opticians may not be cheap though are your only option if you want one hour
service; it's probably worth looking at some of the web operations. From a sample of one,
www.iris-spectacles.co.uk were efficient and cheap: granted, that was reglazing specs not inserts,
but that shouldn't make a difference.

>How do Briko rate?

No personal experience, but price looks OK and I was chatting to someone on today's ride who has
them and rates them better than her old Bolles. On that basis, I think I'm going shopping ...

John

Tenex <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
> model - anyone know?

No, they come without a lens.

> Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
> certain size/spec.

Yes, take the frame to your optician, and they will put the lenses in for £20 upwards.

> How do Briko rate?

OK, but not brilliant.I bought some a couple of years ago, I think the frames with 2 types of outer
lens (1 dark,1 light) cost around £75.I got the prescription inserts from my optician.I could have
got them done for £20,but it would have taken nearly a week,so I had the £30 next day service. The
brikos were fine during the cyclo-cross season,but I started having problems during the MTB
season,because the inserts sit so close to your face/forehead, that the sweat runs down them,goes
over the inner lens and in the eye.At one 24hour race,I had to stop 3 times on my last lap just to
wash the sweat out of my eyes. Another problem I had was the outer lenses seemed to go brittle after
about a year,I had 2 of them break, and they are £20 to replace.

I have since bought some Rudy Project Kerosene glasses, and these are really good.The prescription
inserts for these sit a lot closer to the sunglass lens, so are more like wearing normal
glasses.They are more expensive (about £120 complete), but they are a much better quality.I got
them from an optician (if you want his details e-mail me) who races in the West Mids Cyclo-cross
league - he doesnt recommend prescription glases for cycling, he thinks contact lenses are a better
option, with normal sunglasses, but I could never wear contacts,so he said these were the best
available. HTH Alan.

--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
North Midlands.

Tenex <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
> model - anyone know?

Forgot to mention, there is a Company who advertise in Cycling weekly occasionally who do a copy of
the Briko Klip glases for around £30 iirc. Alan.

--

SabineUK wrote:
> "Tenex" [email protected] said:
>
>> Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
>> model - anyone know?
>
> Doubt it. And if they do, they'll charge handsomely for it.
>
>> Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
>> certain size/spec.
>
> Yep, that's the one. Buy Klip Kit, hand over to optician with prescription, pay required amount of
> money. High Street opticians may not be cheap though are your only option if you want one hour
> service; it's probably worth looking at some of the web operations. From a sample of one,
> www.iris-spectacles.co.uk were efficient and cheap: granted, that was reglazing specs not inserts,
> but that shouldn't make a difference.
>
>> How do Briko rate?
>
> No personal experience, but price looks OK and I was chatting to someone on today's ride who has
> them and rates them better than her old Bolles. On that basis, I think I'm going shopping ...
>
> John

Thanks for that - you might want to try http://tinyurl.com/co6x for lenses etc. I visited them and
was very impressed with their service and their prices are outstanding. If you're near they will
produce most as you wait. They do have sports sunglasses and I can't decide whether too get Briko or
their own brands. I'm also torn between photochromic and polarised lenses. Too many choices....

A Lee wrote:
> The brikos were fine during the cyclo-cross season,but I started having problems during the MTB
> season,because the inserts sit so close to your face/forehead, that the sweat runs down them,goes
> over the inner lens and in the eye.

They do look pretty substantial and it's not as if an insert will make the frame sit closer
to the face.

> I have since bought some Rudy Project Kerosene glasses, and these are really good.The prescription
> inserts for these sit a lot closer to the sunglass lens, so are more like wearing normal glasses.

I'll take a look thanks. An alternative is to get some of the prescription sunglasses here
http://tinyurl.com/co6x which aren't too bad on price and would sit properly.

On Mon, 26 May 2003 09:35:19 +0100, [email protected] (A Lee) wrote:

>got them from an optician (if you want his details e-mail me) who races in the West Mids
>Cyclo-cross league - he doesnt recommend prescription glases for cycling, he thinks contact lenses
>are a better option, with normal sunglasses, but I could never wear contacts,so he said these were
>the best available. HTH Alan.

Any idea what his concern over prescription glasses for cycling were?

A Lee wrote:

> I got them from an optician (if you want his details e-mail me) who races in the West Mids
> Cyclo-cross league - he doesnt recommend prescription glases for cycling, he thinks contact lenses
> are a better option, with normal sunglasses,

I have just got out of the habit of wearing contact lenses I can see his point the is a much wider
field of vision with contact lenses which would contribute to safety. Cheaper on specs too. One
reason I stopped wearing them was when driving the airflow around the car would dry out the lens, I
can't imagine this being reduced on a bike?

On Fri, 30 May 2003 07:37:07 +0100, Alan Oakley wrote:
>Any idea what his concern over prescription glasses for cycling were?

My guess:
- Rather expensive, meanwhile accidents are more likely
- Limited viewing angle without moving your head
- Probably not designed for nice airflow