BRIKO specs - Klip Kit?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tenex, May 25, 2003.

  1. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit model
    - anyone know?

    Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
    certain size/spec.

    How do Briko rate?

    Tags:

  2. "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
    > model - anyone know?

    If they are like rudy project you get an RX standard frame into which your friendly local optician
    can fit a lens.

    > Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
    > certain size/spec.
    >
    > How do Briko rate?

  3. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    "Tenex" [email protected] said:

    >Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
    >model - anyone know?

    Doubt it. And if they do, they'll charge handsomely for it.

    >Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
    >certain size/spec.

    Yep, that's the one. Buy Klip Kit, hand over to optician with prescription, pay required amount of
    money. High Street opticians may not be cheap though are your only option if you want one hour
    service; it's probably worth looking at some of the web operations. From a sample of one,
    www.iris-spectacles.co.uk were efficient and cheap: granted, that was reglazing specs not inserts,
    but that shouldn't make a difference.

    >How do Briko rate?

    No personal experience, but price looks OK and I was chatting to someone on today's ride who has
    them and rates them better than her old Bolles. On that basis, I think I'm going shopping ...

    John

  4. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    Tenex <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
    > model - anyone know?

    No, they come without a lens.

    > Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
    > certain size/spec.

    Yes, take the frame to your optician, and they will put the lenses in for £20 upwards.

    > How do Briko rate?

    OK, but not brilliant.I bought some a couple of years ago, I think the frames with 2 types of outer
    lens (1 dark,1 light) cost around £75.I got the prescription inserts from my optician.I could have
    got them done for £20,but it would have taken nearly a week,so I had the £30 next day service. The
    brikos were fine during the cyclo-cross season,but I started having problems during the MTB
    season,because the inserts sit so close to your face/forehead, that the sweat runs down them,goes
    over the inner lens and in the eye.At one 24hour race,I had to stop 3 times on my last lap just to
    wash the sweat out of my eyes. Another problem I had was the outer lenses seemed to go brittle after
    about a year,I had 2 of them break, and they are £20 to replace.

    I have since bought some Rudy Project Kerosene glasses, and these are really good.The prescription
    inserts for these sit a lot closer to the sunglass lens, so are more like wearing normal
    glasses.They are more expensive (about £120 complete), but they are a much better quality.I got
    them from an optician (if you want his details e-mail me) who races in the West Mids Cyclo-cross
    league - he doesnt recommend prescription glases for cycling, he thinks contact lenses are a better
    option, with normal sunglasses, but I could never wear contacts,so he said these were the best
    available. HTH Alan.

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  5. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    Tenex <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
    > model - anyone know?

    Forgot to mention, there is a Company who advertise in Cycling weekly occasionally who do a copy of
    the Briko Klip glases for around £30 iirc. Alan.

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  6. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    SabineUK wrote:
    > "Tenex" [email protected] said:
    >
    >> Can't work out from the Briko ads whether they supply the prescription lenses for the Klip Lit
    >> model - anyone know?
    >
    > Doubt it. And if they do, they'll charge handsomely for it.
    >
    >> Or is it a ccase of ordering from you friendly local optician? They obviously have to be of a
    >> certain size/spec.
    >
    > Yep, that's the one. Buy Klip Kit, hand over to optician with prescription, pay required amount of
    > money. High Street opticians may not be cheap though are your only option if you want one hour
    > service; it's probably worth looking at some of the web operations. From a sample of one,
    > www.iris-spectacles.co.uk were efficient and cheap: granted, that was reglazing specs not inserts,
    > but that shouldn't make a difference.
    >
    >> How do Briko rate?
    >
    > No personal experience, but price looks OK and I was chatting to someone on today's ride who has
    > them and rates them better than her old Bolles. On that basis, I think I'm going shopping ...
    >
    > John

    Thanks for that - you might want to try http://tinyurl.com/co6x for lenses etc. I visited them and
    was very impressed with their service and their prices are outstanding. If you're near they will
    produce most as you wait. They do have sports sunglasses and I can't decide whether too get Briko or
    their own brands. I'm also torn between photochromic and polarised lenses. Too many choices....

  7. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    A Lee wrote:
    > The brikos were fine during the cyclo-cross season,but I started having problems during the MTB
    > season,because the inserts sit so close to your face/forehead, that the sweat runs down them,goes
    > over the inner lens and in the eye.

    They do look pretty substantial and it's not as if an insert will make the frame sit closer
    to the face.

    > I have since bought some Rudy Project Kerosene glasses, and these are really good.The prescription
    > inserts for these sit a lot closer to the sunglass lens, so are more like wearing normal glasses.

    I'll take a look thanks. An alternative is to get some of the prescription sunglasses here
    http://tinyurl.com/co6x which aren't too bad on price and would sit properly.

  8. Alan Oakley

    Alan Oakley Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2003 09:35:19 +0100, [email protected] (A Lee) wrote:

    >got them from an optician (if you want his details e-mail me) who races in the West Mids
    >Cyclo-cross league - he doesnt recommend prescription glases for cycling, he thinks contact lenses
    >are a better option, with normal sunglasses, but I could never wear contacts,so he said these were
    >the best available. HTH Alan.

    Any idea what his concern over prescription glasses for cycling were?

  9. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    A Lee wrote:

    > I got them from an optician (if you want his details e-mail me) who races in the West Mids
    > Cyclo-cross league - he doesnt recommend prescription glases for cycling, he thinks contact lenses
    > are a better option, with normal sunglasses,

    I have just got out of the habit of wearing contact lenses I can see his point the is a much wider
    field of vision with contact lenses which would contribute to safety. Cheaper on specs too. One
    reason I stopped wearing them was when driving the airflow around the car would dry out the lens, I
    can't imagine this being reduced on a bike?

  10. On Fri, 30 May 2003 07:37:07 +0100, Alan Oakley wrote:
    >Any idea what his concern over prescription glasses for cycling were?

    My guess:
    - Rather expensive, meanwhile accidents are more likely
    - Limited viewing angle without moving your head
    - Probably not designed for nice airflow