Brindabella Challenge road race - anyone

Bean Long

Guest
I know you'll be there Aeek, but is anyone else in town for the road
race tomorrow? For some bizarre reason it starts in the middle of the
day and it's going to be 34 °C!! Ouch! Keep hydrated and take it easy,
some of those hills are killers. Might be a little hard to show up for
the crits on Sunday!! For those who want to say hello I'll be the guy
in D in the ANU Green gear, looking like a leprechaun! I've put the
route up on Bikely for those who need it:

http://tinyurl.com/w9h7n

Cheers,
--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long wrote:
> I know you'll be there Aeek, but is anyone else in town for the road
> race tomorrow?

Nope, was in town last weekend for the Urban Polaris and the christening
of the new XC course to be used for the National Champs in January - Now
that is going to be HOT!

Parbs

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 09:12:18 +1100, Bean Long
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I know you'll be there Aeek, but is anyone else in town for the road
>race tomorrow? For some bizarre reason it starts in the middle of the
>day and it's going to be 34 °C!! Ouch! Keep hydrated and take it easy,
>some of those hills are killers. Might be a little hard to show up for
>the crits on Sunday!!

I bailed at 44k heading out on Cotter Rd. I was flying through the
Coppins intersection, too much fun to abandon there.
That intersection wouldn't work in NSW, the marshalls need to control
the traffic - even though we actually have right of way.

Saving myself for the crits tommorrow, yes that's it, that's why I
abandonded. Nothing to do with being last on road being stalked by the
sag wagon. Then we picked up a fellow F grader who'd repassed me, and
followed the remaining F rider onto the finish. The oldest of us 4
finished!

Lost my micropump on the way out, heard it go but I was accelerating
down hill and back with the guys. Calculated the distance to look for
it and saw the land cruiser picking it up on the way back. Only then
did I think of the risk to others - luckily it ended in the middle of
the lane coming back up the hill. I've been hooking it into the saddle
bag strap, secure if I get it right but stupid since it easily fits
across a pocket. Now it has a meaniful scar from hitting the road.
Memories.

Had a great run back from the turn, two guys gave me their wheels and
I sat where I was told, never ridden echolon before - does 3rd help
the 1st two riders aerowise? Was able to help by yelling GO as the
next bunch's tail passed. Freshened after this, I was able to fly past
one of my clubs handicappers - oops. I was careful to explain this
when he caught me again and we discussed my club grading.

Glad I did it. Don't feel bad about bailing. Sore from shoulder to
feet.

The Elite Men's finish was awesome! As close as you can get and still
be easy to judge.

Damn, I just cleared my computer trying to access the stats. Tired.

Andre

Aeek wrote:

> I bailed at 44k heading out on Cotter Rd. I was flying through the
> Coppins intersection, too much fun to abandon there.
> That intersection wouldn't work in NSW, the marshalls need to control
> the traffic - even though we actually have right of way.

Well done Aeek! I thought your pace was incredible. I didn't catch you
till just over the 30 k mark and boy was that climb out of Uriarra
tough! I turned in at the 40 odd k mark back to the start/finish line.
I thought it was too dangerous out there in that heat to go all the
way, especially with the crits the next day. On the way out D had a
great pace line going and we had some awesome speed. Lots of talking
and great organisation. Unfortunately a couple of guys without much
bunch experience were confusing things a little, but hey, you've gotta
learn somehow. The ride down into Urriara was a bit scary. We'd been
warned of the sharp right hander but I got pushed to the left of the
road and had to slam on the anchors as I came to the turn at the bottom.
Cries of "SH!T" from me and a good look at the rocks at the bottom of
the creek gave me the required adrenalin rush to get to the top on the
other side. A mate came past asking "where the f$ck are you going".
After the race he said he wished he had his camera with him, apparently
I was leaning over the side of the bridge and everything. Geesh!

I decided to drop off just short of the turn-around as I thought the
pace was too dangerous given the heat. Wisdom over desire! I would
have certainly felt sick after the race had I stuck with them. A couple
of mates in D were looking good all the way and stayed with the bunch.
Eventually they dropped everyone else and came over the line together
looking awesome. They certainly lost no time to C grade or even B1
where I had a team mate riding.

The same guys came out yesterday for the crits and came 1 & 2 again !!
Awesome turn-around from a hard slog on Saturday. The crit was all
good. We headed off slow with over 2 mins for the first lap. Clearly a
few sore legs from the road race and a clear understanding that we had
20 min +2 ahead of us in the heat and headwind up the back straight. A
guy from E in the road race that I'd chatted with on the way back on
Saturday was racing with us and took out an early lead. I jumped in his
wheel and was amazed he stuck there for about 3 laps. I tried to stay
up near the front for most of the race and was even more amazed to see
the same guy pop up in front again for another couple of laps! I was
racing with a few team mates and we worked together really well taking
turns pulling off the front and breaking the bunch. Lots of talking and
keeping an eye on each other. A few breaks were made but easily
swallowed up and it wasn't till the bell lap that Simon Scarano (one of
our number) took off and we chased. Myself, Jamie Young & Jason
Hewerdine also in the lead bunch sucking Simon's wheel. Simon lasted
until the top of the circuit, by which time he'd done the job.
Unfortunately I found myself boxed in on Simon's wheel when his pace
dropped off and I got a late jump into the sprint. Simon shouted for us
to "go, go go" so we did. That downhill to the finish with a tailwind
is awesome! Jamie and Jason (the same guys who came across together in
the road race) took the honours. I made 7th or thereabouts after
realising I wasn't going to catch another wheel and noone behind me was
going to get me, so I turned off the gas. Nonetheless I was pretty pleased.

All up very happy with the weekends events. The heat and the absolute
stupidity with the road traffic problems were the big downers.