Bringing a bike back from the US to the UK

icewhain

Guest
Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

"icewhain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

I believe they charge 15% customs duty and 17.5% VAT. I've been told the
way to do it is to take a scrap bike out there that you leave behind and
then fetch back a decent one, I presume customs make a note of you taking
one out. Not sure if it works as I've never tried it.

Try www.hmce.gov.uk

Ash

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:14:28 +0100, icewhain wrote:

> Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
certainly not on a $300 bike.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:14:28 +0100, icewhain wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

>15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
>American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
>may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
>certainly not on a $300 bike.

Well, the bike is the same price in £ here. So the warranty works out
to be worth about £70. I'm not sure the warranty is worth it.

icewhain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:14:28 +0100, icewhain wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

> >15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
> >American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
> >may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
> >certainly not on a $300 bike.

> Well, the bike is the same price in £ here. So the warranty works out
> to be worth about £70. I'm not sure the warranty is worth it.

… or you could look at 2002/2003 bikes from the likes of Evans,
Rutland, Pauls Cycles etc. I don't know if they have bikes at your
target price (£230?) but they are selling last year's £400 bikes for
£300.

[email protected] (Joe Roach) wrote:

>> >15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
>> >American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
>> >may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
>> >certainly not on a $300 bike.

>> Well, the bike is the same price in £ here. So the warranty works out
>> to be worth about £70. I'm not sure the warranty is worth it.

>… or you could look at 2002/2003 bikes from the likes of Evans,
>Rutland, Pauls Cycles etc. I don't know if they have bikes at your
>target price (£230?) but they are selling last year's £400 bikes for
>£300.

I was thinking of a folding Dahon Boardwalk D6 (plus some extras). I
don't think they go on sale... Anyway, decided against a folding bike
after trying out a Brompton. Those things are just too upright, and
it feels like you have to remain seated on them. Got a 7 yr old
Raleigh Max mountain bike for £51 instead. It's pretty good.

RE/
>I believe they charge 15% customs duty and 17.5% VAT.

Sounds like there could be a problem for somebody who takes their bike from USA
to UK and then tries to come home with it....without having any receipts...
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>I believe they charge 15% customs duty and 17.5% VAT.

>Sounds like there could be a problem for somebody who takes their bike from USA
>to UK and then tries to come home with it....without having any receipts...

I was thinking about that... Wouldn't customs take your details, and
then ask you to provide proof of where you bought the bike later? - If
they wanted to chase it up. Otherwise I guess they might just let you
through.