Bringing a bike back from the US to the UK

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by icewhain, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

    Tags:

  2. gravelrAsh

    gravelrAsh Guest

    "icewhain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

    I believe they charge 15% customs duty and 17.5% VAT. I've been told the
    way to do it is to take a scrap bike out there that you leave behind and
    then fetch back a decent one, I presume customs make a note of you taking
    one out. Not sure if it works as I've never tried it.

    Try www.hmce.gov.uk

    Ash

  3. bomba

    bomba Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:14:28 +0100, icewhain wrote:

    > Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

    15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
    American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
    may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
    certainly not on a $300 bike.

  4. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:14:28 +0100, icewhain wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

    >15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
    >American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
    >may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
    >certainly not on a $300 bike.

    Well, the bike is the same price in £ here. So the warranty works out
    to be worth about £70. I'm not sure the warranty is worth it.

  5. Joe Roach

    Joe Roach Guest

    icewhain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<kiulf0d94v7kdnah223cc[email protected]>...
    > bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:14:28 +0100, icewhain wrote:
    > >
    > >> Does anyone know what taxes I would have to pay on a $300 bike?

    > >15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
    > >American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
    > >may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
    > >certainly not on a $300 bike.

    > Well, the bike is the same price in £ here. So the warranty works out
    > to be worth about £70. I'm not sure the warranty is worth it.

    … or you could look at 2002/2003 bikes from the likes of Evans,
    Rutland, Pauls Cycles etc. I don't know if they have bikes at your
    target price (£230?) but they are selling last year's £400 bikes for
    £300.

  6. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    [email protected] (Joe Roach) wrote:

    >> >15% duty on a complete bike plus 17.5% VAT. If you're flying back with an
    >> >American airline, you'll have to pay extra for the bike transport and you
    >> >may well lose the warranty by bringing it to the UK. Worth it? Almost
    >> >certainly not on a $300 bike.

    >> Well, the bike is the same price in £ here. So the warranty works out
    >> to be worth about £70. I'm not sure the warranty is worth it.

    >… or you could look at 2002/2003 bikes from the likes of Evans,
    >Rutland, Pauls Cycles etc. I don't know if they have bikes at your
    >target price (£230?) but they are selling last year's £400 bikes for
    >£300.

    I was thinking of a folding Dahon Boardwalk D6 (plus some extras). I
    don't think they go on sale... Anyway, decided against a folding bike
    after trying out a Brompton. Those things are just too upright, and
    it feels like you have to remain seated on them. Got a 7 yr old
    Raleigh Max mountain bike for £51 instead. It's pretty good.

  7. RE/
    >I believe they charge 15% customs duty and 17.5% VAT.

    Sounds like there could be a problem for somebody who takes their bike from USA
    to UK and then tries to come home with it....without having any receipts...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  8. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >RE/
    >>I believe they charge 15% customs duty and 17.5% VAT.

    >Sounds like there could be a problem for somebody who takes their bike from USA
    >to UK and then tries to come home with it....without having any receipts...

    I was thinking about that... Wouldn't customs take your details, and
    then ask you to provide proof of where you bought the bike later? - If
    they wanted to chase it up. Otherwise I guess they might just let you
    through.