Bringing the bike to Berlin? US Airways?

solovelo?

May 19, 2010
Hello everyone! I'll be in Berlin, GER for the summer working an internship. I'll be living and working in the city center.

Two Questions:

Does anyone have experience checking a road bike for an international flight? What about US Airways, maybe?

Do you think it would be worthwhile to bring the bike, considering I'd almost have to leave the city to put in a nice, long, uninterrupted ride? Maybe some of the parks might have something adequate for that... Does anyone know Berlin?

Anyways--thanks for any advice!

I once took my mtb with me on a flight to Hawaii. It was not a pleasant experience, so I recommend the advice I read in a bike magazine some years ago: Leave your own bike at home and go and visit a couple of bike shops in Berlin when you arrive. Many shops sell used bikes and some are amenable to a deal where you pay the asking price and they agree on a purchase back price when you want to return home. Say the asking price is 400 euros and they agree to buy it back from you at 300. If you stay a few months, a price of a hundred euros is pretty good for the unlimited use of a decent bike.

Unless you're going to be touring, then Umvelo is right, it would be much easier to buy there. No worries about lost bikes or damage that way, and nothing to bring home.