Brining a Goose?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Wrench, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Wrench

    Wrench Guest

    I still haven't tried to brine anything. But I am curious, has anyone ever brined a goose before
    roasting? What was the recipe, and for how long should I brine? I have a 12 pound goose that I plan
    on roasting on the 25. Is there enough time left for me to accomplish this? TIA

    Wrench

    Tags:

  2. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Wrench wrote:

    > I still haven't tried to brine anything. But I am curious, has anyone ever brined a goose
    > before roasting? What was the recipe, and for how long should I brine? I have a 12 pound
    > goose that I plan on roasting on the 25. Is there enough time left for me to accomplish this?
    > TIA

    I'm doing a 12 pounder and I just put it into the brine. Yes, brining a goose improves it the same
    way it does other poultry.

    There's time left. 12 hours will help, 24 is even better for a bird that size.

    Have you done a goose before? Be ready for copious amounts of fat to render off. Put some water in
    the bottom of your roasting pan. It cuts down on the smoke and splatter.

  3. "Reg" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wrench wrote:
    >
    > > I still haven't tried to brine anything. But I am curious, has anyone ever brined a goose
    > > before roasting? What was the recipe, and for how long should I brine? I have a 12 pound
    > > goose that I plan on roasting on the 25. Is there enough time left for me to accomplish
    > > this? TIA
    >
    > I'm doing a 12 pounder and I just put it into the brine. Yes, brining a goose improves it the same
    > way it does other poultry.
    >
    > There's time left. 12 hours will help, 24 is even better for a bird that size.
    >
    > Have you done a goose before? Be ready for copious amounts of fat to render off. Put some water in
    > the bottom of your roasting pan. It cuts down on the smoke and splatter.

    amen, and keep the fat, or at least some of it. It's very tasty.

    Jack Goosestep