Brining a Goose?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Wrench, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Wrench

Wrench Guest

I still haven't tried to brine anything. But I am curious, has anyone ever brined a goose before
    roasting? What was the recipe, and for how long should I brine? I have a 12 pound goose that I plan
    on roasting on the 25. Is there enough time left for me to accomplish this? TIA

Wrench

Tags:

2. Reg

Reg Guest

Wrench wrote:

> I still haven't tried to brine anything. But I am curious, has anyone ever brined a goose
    > before roasting? What was the recipe, and for how long should I brine? I have a 12 pound
    > goose that I plan on roasting on the 25. Is there enough time left for me to accomplish this?
    > TIA

I'm doing a 12 pounder and I just put it into the brine. Yes, brining a goose improves it the same
    way it does other poultry.

There's time left. 12 hours will help, 24 is even better for a bird that size.

Have you done a goose before? Be ready for copious amounts of fat to render off. Put some water in
    the bottom of your roasting pan. It cuts down on the smoke and splatter.

--
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

3. "Reg" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wrench wrote:
    >
    > > I still haven't tried to brine anything. But I am curious, has anyone ever brined a goose
    > > before roasting? What was the recipe, and for how long should I brine? I have a 12 pound
    > > goose that I plan on roasting on the 25. Is there enough time left for me to accomplish
    > > this? TIA
    >
    > I'm doing a 12 pounder and I just put it into the brine. Yes, brining a goose improves it the same
    > way it does other poultry.
    >
    > There's time left. 12 hours will help, 24 is even better for a bird that size.
    >
    > Have you done a goose before? Be ready for copious amounts of fat to render off. Put some water in
    > the bottom of your roasting pan. It cuts down on the smoke and splatter.
    >

amen, and keep the fat, or at least some of it. It's very tasty.

Jack Goosestep