Brining AND dry aging beef?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Windriverfamily, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Hello, Rfc'ers!

    I'm planning on serving beef at Christmas this year, and want to try dry aging. I'm a fan of
    brining. Do the two go together? Should I brine THEN age? or the reverse?

    Thanks! skg

    Tags:

  2. Chef

    Chef Guest

    Do it it with a dry cure .... far better
    merry xmas
    ttfn andy
    "windriverfamily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, Rfc'ers!
    >
    > I'm planning on serving beef at Christmas this year, and want to try dry aging. I'm a fan of
    > brining. Do the two go together? Should I brine
    THEN
    > age? or the reverse?
    >
    > Thanks! skg

  3. Scubapix

    Scubapix Guest

    "windriverfamily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, Rfc'ers!
    >
    > I'm planning on serving beef at Christmas this year, and want to try dry aging. I'm a fan of
    > brining. Do the two go together? Should I brine
    THEN
    > age? or the reverse?
    >
    > Thanks! skg

    Brinning of beef is NOT recommended. Pork, seafood and poultry only.

  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    windriverfamily wrote:

    > Hello, Rfc'ers!
    >
    > I'm planning on serving beef at Christmas this year, and want to try dry aging. I'm a fan of
    > brining. Do the two go together? Should I brine THEN age? or the reverse?

    Dry age it, don't brine it.

  5. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:21:55 -0800, "windriverfamily"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello, Rfc'ers!
    >
    >I'm planning on serving beef at Christmas this year, and want to try dry aging. I'm a fan of
    >brining. Do the two go together? Should I brine THEN age? or the reverse?

    Isn't brined beef "corned beef"? :)

    I've never heard of brining beef the way you do pork and poultry.

    --
    Siobhan Perricone "Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human
    physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"

  6. Howard Dean

    Howard Dean Guest

    "windriverfamily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, Rfc'ers!
    >
    > I'm planning on serving beef at Christmas this year, and want to try dry aging. I'm a fan of
    > brining. Do the two go together? Should I brine
    THEN
    > age? or the reverse?
    >
    > Thanks! skg

    You don't brine beef before or after dry aging and if you don't know how to dry age don't do
    that either.

    http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  7. Bob Pastorio

    Bob Pastorio Guest

    windriverfamily wrote:

    > Hello, Rfc'ers!
    >
    > I'm planning on serving beef at Christmas this year, and want to try dry aging. I'm a fan of
    > brining. Do the two go together? Should I brine THEN age? or the reverse?

    It's possible to do both, but you don't have time to dry-age it as it needs to be done and if you
    don't know how to brine beef, don't. Beef needs to be brined (if at all) rather differently than the
    usual whiter meats.

    So, "neither" is your answer.

    Pastorio