Brisbane commuting route help please

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Wilfred Kazoks, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Hi, I want to try commuting by bike this winter when I am in Brisbane. I
    want to ride from Corinda to Central station. Now I've figured Corinda to
    Indooroopilly Station and Toowong to Central looks easy along the riverside
    track. The tricky part is Indooroopilly to Toowong. I know it is pretty
    hilly and I really want to avoid hills and Moggill Rd.

    I will have to explore two options. One is to parallel the train line on the
    St Lucia side and the other is to head towards the Uni a bit and then head
    towards the city. Is it possible to go around the biggest hills either way?

    If you do something similar I would appreciate an ideas.

    Regards Wilfred

    Tags:

  2. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Wilfred

    Brisbane City Council has maps of bike routes on its website -
    including on-road and off-road. Here is the link:

    http://tinyurl.com/p83cz

    It's hard to figure out the route from the maps, because BCC has made
    very little progress towards a comprehensive bike route system,
    spending only $5M per year with much of that on doddle paths better
    termed pram/dog paths than bikeways.

    As you've discovered, the most direct route along Mogill Road is
    avoided by most people due to the traffic and the hills. Unfortunately
    there are no flat routes, but there are a couple of main routes.

    My favourite is to cross the river on the Walter Taylor Bridge and turn
    left along the river along Radnor St, then Witton Rd. The Western
    Freeway Bikeway crosses this road. Turn right and follow the bikeway
    all the way in to Sylvan Rd. Turn R onto Sylvan Rd, L on Land St and
    veer onto the path after the Dixon St lights to get onto the
    Bicentennial Bikeway along Coronation Drive, follow this into the city.
    This is a nice, pleasant route most of the way, bar a few quibbles that
    you will quickly notice.

    The other way is to go from Indooroopilly Station down Lambert Rd,
    Indooroopilly Rd all the way to Toowong. This has a nasty hill coming
    up to Gailey Fiveways in both directions, and a bit of traffic to
    negotiate, including the Parade de Prado outside St Peters College.

    There is a Brisbane-focused email list, Bikeqld, which has many helpful
    folk on it:

    Good luck with your commuting. One piece of advice, riding in Brisbane,
    you have to learn to love hills!

    Donga

  3. Donga

    Donga Guest

    I should have mentioned, if you want to take the Lambert Rd route, get
    on the East side of the railway before the river and take the Jack
    Pesch foot/bike Bridge, rather than the Walter Taylor.

    On Walter Taylor, you might want to use the footpath inbound, but the
    road outbound.

    Reversing my favourite route, it's hard to get onto the outbound lane
    of Walter Taylor Bridge legally, unless you want a big hilly loop
    that's fine in a car, but sucks on a bike. I shortcut across Coonan St
    illegally. It takes some care and I offer no recommendation.

    Donga

  4. You could keep heading towards Uni (following the St Lucia golf
    course), then ride around the UQ ring road and through the back streets
    there. Joins up with the Coro Drive bike path at Toowong...... A few
    hills, but they are "rolling hills" rather than painful monstrosities
    :)

    Make sure you try each option out and see which one you like best. Or
    alternate regularly to keep it interesting!!

    Not sure if you are currently a commuter - but if not, then welcome to
    the "club". I guarantee you'll enjoy it!!

    Cheers,
    Abby

  5. Donga

    Donga Guest

    I used to take the Uni route for several years but have largely
    abandoned it in favour of the Western Freeway bikeway. The Uni is
    blighted by traffic, much of it slow-moving twits looking for parking
    spaces and prone to sudden swerves without indicating. Then you have
    the butt-end of the Bikeway up to Toowong. Give me the Freeway route
    any day, and its a K shorter to boot.

    Donga

  6. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    I wouldn't have thought of going via the Western Freeway bikepath, normally I go looking for the hilliest way:) But you're right that would be the flattest way.

    The second best alternative would be to use Lambert Rd, then Indooroopilly Rd up the hill to the Gailey Fiveways, then down Gailey Rd then hookup with the coronation drive bikeway. Only one hill this way, and you get it all over and done with in one go.

    The rolling hills past the golf course and through uni is the more pleasant way I reckon, but I guess it's much tougher.

    Adam

  7. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Mmmm, there's actually a long, steady hill on the bikeway. You can
    treadle away in a moderate gear or, if you want to hit it hard, you can
    really blow out. And as for pleasant, it's very peaceful, green and
    quiet, with all the bush around. At peak hour, you get to ride past a
    line of cagers in a linear carpark, far enough away not to be bothered
    by their noise and stink, so you can feel very superior. It's nice to
    ride on an MTB because if the mood takes you, you can dive into Anzac
    Park and ride parallel to the bikeway on some dirt - get a good grin on
    your face before work!

    Donga

  8. Dirty Digger

    Dirty Digger Guest

    But the shortest way is still over Gailey 5-ways. (About 1.5 km shorter than
    the freeway route). The hill is short and sharp and over and done with.
    Barry

    "Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I used to take the Uni route for several years but have largely
    > abandoned it in favour of the Western Freeway bikeway. The Uni is
    > blighted by traffic, much of it slow-moving twits looking for parking
    > spaces and prone to sudden swerves without indicating. Then you have
    > the butt-end of the Bikeway up to Toowong. Give me the Freeway route
    > any day, and its a K shorter to boot.
    >
    > Donga

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Donga wrote:

    > I used to take the Uni route for several years but have largely
    > abandoned it in favour of the Western Freeway bikeway. The Uni is
    > blighted by traffic, much of it slow-moving twits looking for parking
    > spaces and prone to sudden swerves without indicating. Then you have
    > the butt-end of the Bikeway up to Toowong. Give me the Freeway route
    > any day, and its a K shorter to boot.
    >
    > Donga

    I've considered using that route, but it's a bit longer for me. Given
    that I go to uni.

    Tam *sorry having a vague day*

  10. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Dirty Digger wrote:
    > But the shortest way is still over Gailey 5-ways. (About 1.5 km shorter than
    > the freeway route). The hill is short and sharp and over and done with.

    Fair point. I must confess I look for longer routes. I can get to work
    in 7.9 kms, but usually take the 20 km route or longer.

    ....and the Gailey hill would surely fail the "no hills" test!

    Donga

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Donga wrote:

    > Dirty Digger wrote:
    > > But the shortest way is still over Gailey 5-ways. (About 1.5 km shorter than
    > > the freeway route). The hill is short and sharp and over and done with.

    > Fair point. I must confess I look for longer routes. I can get to work
    > in 7.9 kms, but usually take the 20 km route or longer.
    >
    > ...and the Gailey hill would surely fail the "no hills" test!
    >
    > Donga

    I'd rather go right around the uni than do that one! Unless I'm running.
    Ahh, in running there is no such thing as a hill. Because I just walk up
    them.

    Tam