Brisbane - Cyclist tells of road-rage beating

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Matthew Taylor sure ain't the person with the problem. :(

    Cyclist tells of road-rage beating
    Cameron Atfield 21sep05
    http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16667567%5E3102,00.html

    AS a cyclist, Matthew Taylor is used to abuse from motorists.

    But an apparent road-rage assault on Monday morning has left him wondering whether the daily journey to and from his Bellbowrie home is worth it.

    Mr Taylor was riding along Moggill Rd, at Kenmore in Brisbane's west, when he had his first altercation with a man driving a Hilux tray-back ute.

    "He was in his vehicle and yelling something at me, but you get used to that riding on the roads, so I just kept riding," he said. "He then came in beside me and hit my (protruding) handlebar."

    The altercation continued at a red light further up the road.

    "He'd stopped at a red light ahead of me and, by the time I got to where he was, he was out of his vehicle," Mr Taylor said. "He started swinging at me and hitting me in the head."

    Mr Taylor said he was hit about "three or four times" in the side of his head, before the man got back into his ute and drove off.

    "As a cyclist, you probably cop abuse from motorists at least once a month when someone will shout but nothing like this – this is definitely out of the ordinary," he said.

    Mr Taylor, whose bike has remained at his inner-city workplace since the attack, said he would think twice before riding to work again.

    "This just takes all the fun out of it," he said.

    Cycling Queensland CEO Wendy Sanders said she had heard of many road-rage incidents against cyclists but had never heard of an attack so extreme.

    "I've heard of drink cans being thrown at cyclists, or cars cutting in front of them, but nothing like this," she said.

    Acting Senior Sergeant Andrew Gillies, the acting police tactician for the Brisbane West region, said the driver's registration had been recorded and police would interview him shortly.

    "In terms of cyclists, it's probably the first (act of road rage) I've been aware of," he said.

    "There is a problem worldwide with road rage and I think things are getting worse."

    Any witnesses to the incident should contact Indooroopilly police on 3377 9466.

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:52:55 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

    > Mr Taylor, whose bike has remained at his inner-city workplace since
    > the attack, said he would think twice before riding to work again.
    >
    > "This just takes all the fun out of it," he said.

    FWIW, I think it's disappointing when someone gives up commuting
    by bike because of incidents like this. It just encourages the bastards.

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Michael Warner wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:52:55 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:
    >
    > > Mr Taylor, whose bike has remained at his inner-city workplace since
    > > the attack, said he would think twice before riding to work again.
    > >
    > > "This just takes all the fun out of it," he said.

    > FWIW, I think it's disappointing when someone gives up commuting
    > by bike because of incidents like this. It just encourages the bastards.
    >
    > --
    > Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

    He should take up commuting with Lotte instead. That'd discourage the
    bastards. Tam

  4. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    That's locking up and taking away the licence stuff. And I hope they do.

    SteveA

  5. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Hmm, just last Thursday I had a bit of a 'moment' with a Hilux tray back utility. He had his passenger window down and was yelling something at me (I made the poor f*cker change lanes) but I'm not sure what - all I could do was cough and I happened to do this in his direction. I sincerely hope I landed a big fat snotter in his car. No, on his lap.

    This sounds really quite hostile, but I think cyclists need to take up martial arts or some sort of fighting. If I knew how to throw a death inducing punch, it is not something I would hesitate to do if I were in the same situation as this man. In fact, I'm fairly sure I'd have packed that heavy punch followed by an elbow, the same way Paul showed me to do. Then again, my mum always told me "Go for their balls". Good advice, mum.

    I'm not surprised this happened in Queensland. This is, afterall, the land of Bogans. With small penises and brains to match.

    LotteF*CKINGANGRYBum

    P.S. Why the f*ck do they call this place "The Smart State". That is laughable. Let's just call it "The Bogan State".

  6. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    By the way, I commented on this on the website. Here's what I wrote:

    The person responsible for this attack should be sent to Indonesia for sentencing - at least over there they take crime seriously.

    F*CKING ANGRY!

    LotteBum

  7. Peka

    Peka New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2005
    Traditional martial arts is not hostile, and is not 'fighting'. It is self defence, and can be VERY effective. I speak from experience having trained in Karate for 12yrs. I am by no means an aggressive or violent person, but I look forward to the day that Hilux driver (or any other brain dead motorist) tries the same on me - he will be in for a very rude shock as I will be quite happy to make an example of such a person (ie. he will be lucky not to get a trip to hospital). I'm sure SPD cleats would leave quite an impression on someone's face :mad:

  8. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Is there a way people can contact the victim to give him support to ride again.:mad:

  9. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I have experienced one incident of true road rage when I was in a car and the 'accused' tried to run me off the road in his car.

    On the bike, I have been abused but never been subject to real road rage.

    I think it has something to do with the fact that 'road ragers' are fundamentally cowards, like most perpetrators of domestic violence. They only attack those that are smaller or weaker than them. So if they are in a car or 4WD they will run a bike off the road, but their road rage would not see them taking on a semi trailer.

    I am 188cm and 115kg (ex Rugby forward) so none of these cowards have a go at me face to face. None would think of throwing a punch at me. Funny how these people, who can't control their temper on the road, can control it if the potential target of their rage is a big bloke who might rip their arms off, stick the soggy ends up their arse and ride 'em down the road like a pogo stick!

    SteveA

  10. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005

  11. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309

  12. Peka

    Peka New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2005
    Heh, well I'm not big at all - 173cm and 73kg, but I do have a beard that apparently makes me look like a terrorist :D

    I completely agree about these people being cowards too

  13. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:46:49 +1000
    Peka <[email protected]> wrote:
    > trained in Karate for 12yrs. I am by no means an aggressive or violent
    > person, but I look forward to the day that Hilux driver (or any other
    > brain dead motorist) tries the same on me - he will be in for a very
    > rude shock as I will be quite happy to make an example of such a person
    > (ie. he will be lucky not to get a trip to hospital). I'm sure SPD
    > cleats would leave quite an impression on someone's face :mad:

    Hmm.. and what exactly will you tell the jury?

    And if you do knock'em down and their head hits the kerb, and they die,
    what then? Looking forward to 5 years for manslaughter are we?

    Zebee

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    SteveA wrote:

    > Peka Wrote:
    > > Traditional martial arts is not hostile, and is not 'fighting'. It is
    > > self defence, and can be VERY effective. I speak from experience having
    > > trained in Karate for 12yrs. I am by no means an aggressive or violent
    > > person, but I look forward to the day that Hilux driver (or any other
    > > brain dead motorist) tries the same on me - he will be in for a very
    > > rude shock as I will be quite happy to make an example of such a person
    > > (ie. he will be lucky not to get a trip to hospital). I'm sure SPD
    > > cleats would leave quite an impression on someone's face :mad:

    > I have experienced one incident of true road rage when I was in a car
    > and the 'accused' tried to run me off the road in his car.
    >
    > On the bike, I have been abused but never been subject to real road
    > rage.
    >
    > I think it has something to do with the fact that 'road ragers' are
    > fundamentally cowards, like most perpetrators of domestic violence.
    > They only attack those that are smaller or weaker than them. So if
    > they are in a car or 4WD they will run a bike off the road, but their
    > road rage would not see them taking on a semi trailer.
    >
    > I am 188cm and 115kg (ex Rugby forward) so none of these cowards have a
    > go at me face to face. None would think of throwing a punch at me.
    > Funny how these people, who can't control their temper on the road, can
    > control it if the potential target of their rage is a big bloke who
    > might rip their arms off, stick the soggy ends up their arse and ride
    > 'em down the road like a pogo stick!
    >
    > SteveA
    >
    > --
    > SteveA

    Despite the bad road rage incident the other week, I haven't had anyone
    actually verbally threaten me and have had only one other incident of a
    driver trying to ram me up the bum. (I took the ramming up the bum thing
    to be a subconcious car=penis-extension issue.) But I am yet to find a
    single arrogant male bogan with the guts to step away from his vehicle
    and take me on. Chickens.

    Tam*would love to beat the shit out of an arrogant male/female bogan and
    no, Lotte does not fit that description*

  15. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    > In aus.bicycle on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:46:49 +1000
    > Peka <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > trained in Karate for 12yrs. I am by no means an aggressive or violent
    > > person, but I look forward to the day that Hilux driver (or any other
    > > brain dead motorist) tries the same on me - he will be in for a very
    > > rude shock as I will be quite happy to make an example of such a person
    > > (ie. he will be lucky not to get a trip to hospital). I'm sure SPD
    > > cleats would leave quite an impression on someone's face :mad:

    > Hmm.. and what exactly will you tell the jury?
    >
    > And if you do knock'em down and their head hits the kerb, and they die,
    > what then? Looking forward to 5 years for manslaughter are we?
    >
    > Zebee

    When the police contacted the offender re my road rage incident, he
    lied. If he was dead, he couldn't lie.

    Tam

  16. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    My younger brother used to live in Brisbane. He is bigger than me, has a beard, "number 1 clipper" haircut all over and used to ride a big black 1952 Harley Panhead he restored. He never got shit from anyone on the road. His trick was that he looked like a bikie even though he wasn't.:)

    SteveA

  17. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    My younger brother used to live in Brisbane.

    So do I!

    He is bigger than me, has a beard, "number 1 clipper" haircut all over

    Not too sure if I'm bigger than you - wider no doubt! And my hair currently would not require much alteration in order to become a flat top.

    and used to ride a big black 1952 Harley Panhead he restored.

    I ride a Bug Pronto.

    He never got shit from anyone on the road.

    I do. Like the woman who came from behind me to overtake me, cut me off, then told me "You were sitting in my blind spot!". The trick with women around the 40 mark is to call them 'Grandma'. They're pretty sensitive about their age... hehrhrr!

    His trick was that he looked like a bikie even though he wasn't.:)

    Do you think I should get a harley, or just pretend by wearing lots of leather and plopping a dirty, loose slapper on the back of my scooter? Maybe people will stop hassling me then. Hey, Paulie works with a couple of slapper type chicks! Paulie, can you ask if one of your co-workers wants to be my Harley Sl*t?

    LotteBum

  18. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:18:52 +1000
    Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When the police contacted the offender re my road rage incident, he
    > lied. If he was dead, he couldn't lie.

    And so you are on a murder charge, trying to prove that he attacked you
    and you were in immediate danger of your life, and that you were unable
    to do anything but kill, that is you didn't disable then kill when no
    longer threatened, and you had no way to run away or otherwise avoid
    killing.

    good luck.

    There will still be bicycles when you get out.

    Zebee

  19. dave

    dave Guest

    Zebee Johnstone wrote:
    > In aus.bicycle on Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:46:49 +1000
    > Peka <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>trained in Karate for 12yrs. I am by no means an aggressive or violent
    >>person, but I look forward to the day that Hilux driver (or any other
    >>brain dead motorist) tries the same on me - he will be in for a very
    >>rude shock as I will be quite happy to make an example of such a person
    >>(ie. he will be lucky not to get a trip to hospital). I'm sure SPD
    >>cleats would leave quite an impression on someone's face :mad:

    > Hmm.. and what exactly will you tell the jury?
    >
    > And if you do knock'em down and their head hits the kerb, and they die,
    > what then? Looking forward to 5 years for manslaughter are we?
    >
    > Zebee

    Self defence still works. Reasonable force in the circumstances,
    unfortunate consequences.

    Or if he is a copper just blow the guy away as he gets out of the car.
    That seems to work.. if you are a cop.

  20. Peka

    Peka New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2005
    I hope you're one of the scooter riders who knows that road rash is bad, and wears appropriate gear :)

    Just get some boots with titanium toe sliders - they leave nice marks on paintwork. Maybe Shimano should make some SPD shoes with titanium sliders for cyclists who commute :D