Brisbane in gridlock - crack in city motorway pylon

Hi all

To look at the hopeful increase in people cycling as a result of the
traffic situation in Brisbane at the moment, we will do a quick cycle
traffic count tomorrow morning 6.30-9.30am, to compare it to previous
figures we have and hopefully take it to the media:

Goodwill, Victoria, Coro Drive bikeway, and if we can find people,
William Jolly and Story Bridges too.

If anyone is willing to help out - contact me.

Many thanks

Ben Wilson - Manager
Bicycle Queensland

28 Vulture St West End Qld 4101
PO Box 5957 West End Qld 4101

Tel: 07 3844 1144
Fax: 07 3844 5343
Mob: 0429 384411

Email:[email protected]
www.bq.org.au

Donga said:
Hi all

To look at the hopeful increase in people cycling as a result of the
traffic situation in Brisbane at the moment, we will do a quick cycle
traffic count tomorrow morning 6.30-9.30am, to compare it to previous
figures we have and hopefully take it to the media:

As you mentioned (off list) this morning, don't think this is going to be rectified in a hurry. Back home, it took over two and a half years for the Tasman Bridge to be repaired, although there were some interesting spinoff effects, ie: Incat. And Dad temporarily got a better job out of it ;)

On 2006-10-17, Donga (aka Bruce)

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>> (Source of article: yeah, I made it up, because a woman
>> interviewed last night complained that they did the testing
>> during the day instead of at night once everyone had already
>> gone home... real smart local yokel...)

> Love it - almost as much as the quote: "He said the crack appeared
> early yesterday." In front of their very eyes? Or since they checked
> the day before?

Since they checked in 2003, wasn't it?

--
TimC
I like the US government, makes the Aussie one look less dumb

Riding home last night, Oxley Road was gridlocked beyond where I turned off (at the BP service station).

And boy isn't all this gridlock just my fault? I had two aggressive drivers almost run me over last night, with one being a semi trailer which forced me to scramble onto the square gutter on Fairfield Road. The *really* stupid thing is that we were approaching a red light (about 100m away) and I had to turn right, so he would have been better off actually LETTING me get in front of him so I could get across to the right hand lane.

I screamed at him as I went past him on the right. Stupid fscking truckie fsckstick.

I'm no Einstein, but it never ceases to amaze me how stupid most people are...

LotteBum wrote:
> Riding home last night, Oxley Road was gridlocked beyond where I turned
> off (at the BP service station).
>
> And boy isn't all this gridlock just my fault? I had two aggressive
> drivers almost run me over last night, with one being a semi trailer
> which forced me to scramble onto the square gutter on Fairfield Road.
> The *really* stupid thing is that we were approaching a red light
> (about 100m away) and I had to turn right, so he would have been better
> off actually LETTING me get in front of him so I could get across to the
> right hand lane.
>
> I screamed at him as I went past him on the right. Stupid fscking
> truckie fsckstick.
>
> I'm no Einstein, but it never ceases to amaze me how stupid most people
> are...
>

> --
> LotteBum

Yes I think most of us have had similar experiences in the last few
hours - shows we're winning! It's weird, though - traffic this morning
seemed far less than usual, and the buses were only half full. It seems
many folk are working from home? Our bike room is fuller than usual -
up about 30% from the past few weeks.

Donga

Investigators were startled to find another 4mm crack on the
Riverside Expressway this morning, as well as an 8mm crack,
a visible panty line and a muffin top.

Tamyka Bell said:
Investigators were startled to find another 4mm crack on the Riverside Expressway this morning, as well as an 8mm crack,
a visible panty line and a muffin top.

Traffic engineers have also reported seeing a hairy plumbers crack more than half a thumb wide.

Tamyka Bell said:
Investigators were startled to find another 4mm crack on the
Riverside Expressway this morning, as well as an 8mm crack,
a visible panty line and a muffin top.

of course they saw crack and muffin top... the overpass is near QUT and its getting warmer :p

asterope wrote:
> of course they saw crack and muffin top... the overpass is near QUT
> and its getting warmer :p

LOL - but for the boys here, wtf is a muffin top?

Donga wrote:

> LOL - but for the boys here, wtf is a muffin top?

Yeah yeah, I know, google is my friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_top
"Generally pejorative, Muffin Top (or Muffin Top Girl) is a slang term
for someone who wears both tight fitting low-rise jeans (or pants) and
midriff-baring tops. For people not sufficiently slim, the resulting
spillage of skin at the midriff is often said to resemble a muffin top
(see picture for comparison)."

Donga wrote:

> Donga wrote:
>
> > LOL - but for the boys here, wtf is a muffin top?

> Yeah yeah, I know, google is my friend:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_top
> "Generally pejorative, Muffin Top (or Muffin Top Girl) is a slang term
> for someone who wears both tight fitting low-rise jeans (or pants) and
> midriff-baring tops. For people not sufficiently slim, the resulting
> spillage of skin at the midriff is often said to resemble a muffin top
> (see picture for comparison)."

They have an illustration? That's awesome!

The Courier Mail
No end in sight
Rosanne Barrett and Steven Wardill
October 19, 2006 12:00am

AUTHORITIES have conceded they have no idea when widespread traffic
chaos plaguing Brisbane will end, following the sudden closure of the
Riverside Expressway.

A team of Main Roads engineers worked through the night to solve the
mystery of why two of the expressway's major on-ramps were balancing
dangerously on a single bearing.
A report into the Alice and Ann street ramps, which it was feared could
collapse on to traffic, will not be completed until tomorrow and
repairing the expressway may take weeks.

MORE with video>
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20606099-952,00.html

The video shows a fat engineer jumping on the bridge. I think he was
trying to hitch his pants up his gut, rather than testing if the bridge
moved. LOL

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Investigators were startled to find another 4mm crack on the
> Riverside Expressway this morning, as well as an 8mm crack,

I thought King Gee had brought out a new range of tradee shorts to stop
that?

Donga wrote:
> Donga wrote:
>

>>LOL - but for the boys here, wtf is a muffin top?

> Yeah yeah, I know, google is my friend:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_top
> "Generally pejorative, Muffin Top (or Muffin Top Girl) is a slang term
> for someone who wears both tight fitting low-rise jeans (or pants) and
> midriff-baring tops. For people not sufficiently slim, the resulting
> spillage of skin at the midriff is often said to resemble a muffin top
> (see picture for comparison)."

Also know as "having a bit on condition" out west.
Refers to cattle being in a good condition, aka looky nice and beefy.

Donga said:
LotteBum wrote:
> Riding home last night, Oxley Road was gridlocked beyond where I turned
> off (at the BP service station).
>
> And boy isn't all this gridlock just my fault? I had two aggressive
> drivers almost run me over last night, with one being a semi trailer
> which forced me to scramble onto the square gutter on Fairfield Road.
> The *really* stupid thing is that we were approaching a red light
> (about 100m away) and I had to turn right, so he would have been better
> off actually LETTING me get in front of him so I could get across to the
> right hand lane.
>
> I screamed at him as I went past him on the right. Stupid fscking
> truckie fsckstick.
>
> I'm no Einstein, but it never ceases to amaze me how stupid most people
> are...
>

> --
> LotteBum

Yes I think most of us have had similar experiences in the last few
hours - shows we're winning! It's weird, though - traffic this morning
seemed far less than usual, and the buses were only half full. It seems
many folk are working from home? Our bike room is fuller than usual -
up about 30% from the past few weeks.

Donga

I had a great commute home last night from the CBD. It was like a ghosttown around 5-5:30pm.

Adam

adam85 said:
I had a great commute home last night from the CBD. It was like a ghosttown around 5-5:30pm.

Adam
watch out for narky mothers who have to go pick up their *probably* overweight children from school in SUVs. They obviously want to get home so they dont miss the bold and the beautiful.
This is my T2 lane, get your own :p

took me 10 minutes to get out of ashgrove and 35 minutes to get to the 'gabba yesterday on my way to work (and thats on a scooter!) leaving home at 3:45pm.
I thought 45 minutes to get 18kms was alot of leeway... i think i was a bit optimistic... as i found out 1hr and 10mins later.

Guess who is riding their bike to work of a tuesday and wednesday afternoon from now on? :D *and i get the entire road to myself on my way home! yipee!!*

asterope wrote:

> took me 10 minutes to get out of ashgrove and 35 minutes to get to the
> 'gabba yesterday on my way to work (and thats on a scooter!) leaving
> home at 3:45pm.
> I thought 45 minutes to get 18kms was alot of leeway... i think i was a
> bit optimistic... as i found out 1hr and 10mins later.
>
> Guess who is riding their bike to work of a tuesday and wednesday
> afternoon from now on? :D *and i get the entire road to myself on my
> way home! yipee!!*

Scooting to work and home on Tuesday was fine, but of course
that was at 12.30pm and 10.30pm respectively...

Tam*works weird hours*

asterope said:
took me 10 minutes to get out of ashgrove and 35 minutes to get to the 'gabba yesterday on my way to work (and thats on a scooter!) leaving home at 3:45pm.
I thought 45 minutes to get 18kms was alot of leeway... i think i was a bit optimistic... as i found out 1hr and 10mins later.
That isn't very dedicated lane splitting. Remember if you can fit through at 10km/h you can fit through at 50km/h :D . Of course if it all goes wrong...:eek:

Paulie-AU said:
That isn't very dedicated lane splitting. Remember if you can fit through at 10km/h you can fit through at 50km/h :D . Of course if it all goes wrong...:eek:
Lane splitting is kinda difficult when you have every 7th car half into the lane next to it (obviously thought that this lane was faster than the one they were supposed to be in, but then got stuck when it wasnt...) believe me, i split as much as i could split... was having a good chat to another motorcyclist that had noticed the same trend :D

The good thing that i have noticed though (both scooting and cycling) is that people are using INDICATORS!!! i even saw a beemer indicating!! and all along i just thought they were for show or had been disconected at the factory! :D