[Brisbane] Off'n'racin'!

adam85

New Member
Mar 2, 2004
Hey anybody interested in some mid week racing in Brisbane? Starting next wednesday Jan 25th, HPRW club are running a 4 round twilight Series on wednesday evenings from 5pm at the Nundah crit circuit. It's setup to give everyone a good chance of placing. Details below. Free second hand tube to any a.b'ers who enter :)

Also anyone doing the annual run up Mt Nebo on Australia Day? Details at:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/vonberky/

Alternatively a few of us *might* be doing a big loop up through the gold coast hinterland if anyone is keen.

Adam

* HPRW racing will recommence this Saturday (January 21st) at Lakeside. Cat 1, Cat 2, Cat 3 and Cat 4 events will commence at 7am - please nominate by 6.30am. If you have to renew your racing licence, please arrive in plenty of time.

* The 4 week Wednesday Twilight Series commences next Wednesday (January 25th). Details:-

Nundah Criterium Circuit, Hedley Ave Nundah, on Wednesdays from 5pm -

January 25 February 1 February 8 February 15

Categories - Elite, Cat 1, Cat 2 and Cat 3.

Start times for Cat 2 and Cat 3 races will be at 5pm. Cat 1 and Elite races will begin at 5.45pm.

Please nominate 20 min before advertised start time.

$1,600 Total Prizemoney - Expected winnings each category race;- 1st - $50, 2nd - $25, 3rd - $15. First unplaced woman - $10. Entry fee - $8 or $25 for the full 4 race series.

Special grading rules for the Series; -

The HPRW Grade Handicapper will be active to try to get everyone to have a chance of winning and sharing the prizemoney.

Grades will be Elite, Cat 1, Cat 2 and Cat 3. If you outclass your fellow competitors, expect to be asked to go up a grade. If you are genuinely outclassed in your grade, please don't be shy to apply to the club handicapper to drop down - we want everyone to have a win sometime! All riders' gradings will be subject to the decisions of the Club Handicapper (Terry Bourne).

These events are sponsored by the Brisbane City Council, Northgate Ward Livability Committee

* The HPRW Summer Criterium Series program is at www.hamiltonwheelers.com/page3.html

Hey adam,

I was thinking about rolling up for some of the 'twilight series'
races......

Can you give me a tip for riding from the CBD to the Nundah track??
I've perused the refidex, but can't really work out teh best way... I
have no 'northside sense', so don't really know the good/safer roads
from the death traps!!

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband said:
Hey adam,

I was thinking about rolling up for some of the 'twilight series'
races......

Can you give me a tip for riding from the CBD to the Nundah track??
I've perused the refidex, but can't really work out teh best way... I
have no 'northside sense', so don't really know the good/safer roads
from the death traps!!

Cheers,
Abby
Hmmm...there's no really direct way to get there...read this with a referdex and see if you get horribly confused! Alternatively you can just follow me :)

Follow Queen Street towards the Valley, so go past the Orient Hotel and then past all the camping stores like K2 into Wickham St. Follow this all the way down to Breaky Creek. It's slightly downhill all the way so it's good fun.

Cross the creek and turn left at the lights into Amy Street which goes past the Breaky Creek Hotel carpark. Go left/right/left/right to get out onto Sandgate rd along breaky creek. (basically just head in that general direction and you'll get there).

Follow sangate rd up to the big 5 way intersection at McDonalds and then turn right up the hill towards Triathlete's World where you turn left onto the Albion Overpass, then first right into Hudson Rd where you'll have the railway line on your left. Cross over at the first bridge and follow Bridge rd with the railway now on your right.

Go straight at the roundabout into Dawson st and cross over Junction Rd at the lights. Turn left at the end then right into Shaw Rd. At the football ground turn right onto the bikepath. Follow this all the way to Toombul shopping centre carpark. Cross the road and follow the bikepath along the canal.

Pheww.......

You can follow Sangate Rd all the way to Toombul shopping centre but it's ferkin horrible, busy and hilly. There are a few other options, going past the RBH. I can send you a UBD map if you like.

Adam

Adam wrote:
>Also anyone doing the annual run up Mt Nebo on Australia Day?

Thanks for the reminder Adam. After 3 weeks of extended Christmas
pig-out and no bike, I don't know that I could haul my lard-sack up the
hill! Perhaps I'll start at 5 and see you at the top. Not going to
Glorious?

Donga

Absent Husband wrote:

> Hey adam,
>
> I was thinking about rolling up for some of the 'twilight series'
> races......
>
> Can you give me a tip for riding from the CBD to the Nundah track??
> I've perused the refidex, but can't really work out teh best way... I
> have no 'northside sense', so don't really know the good/safer roads
> from the death traps!!
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

They start next Wednesday, right?

Tam

adam85 wrote:

> Hey anybody interested in some mid week racing in Brisbane? Starting
> next wednesday Jan 25th, HPRW club are running a 4 round twilight
> Series on wednesday evenings from 5pm at the Nundah crit circuit. It's
> setup to give everyone a good chance of placing. Details below. Free
> second hand tube to any a.b'ers who enter :)
>
> Also anyone doing the annual run up Mt Nebo on Australia Day? Details
> at:
> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/vonberky/
>
> Alternatively a few of us *might* be doing a big loop up through the
> gold coast hinterland if anyone is keen.
>
> Adam

> * HPRW racing will recommence this Saturday (January 21st) at Lakeside.
> Cat 1, Cat 2, Cat 3 and Cat 4 events will commence at 7am - please
> nominate by 6.30am. If you have to renew your racing licence, please
> arrive in plenty of time.
>
> * The 4 week Wednesday Twilight Series commences next Wednesday
> (January 25th). Details:-
>
> Nundah Criterium Circuit, Hedley Ave Nundah, on Wednesdays from 5pm -
>
> January 25 February 1 February 8 February 15
>
> Categories - Elite, Cat 1, Cat 2 and Cat 3.
>
> Start times for Cat 2 and Cat 3 races will be at 5pm. Cat 1 and Elite
> races will begin at 5.45pm.
>
> Please nominate 20 min before advertised start time.
>
> $1,600 Total Prizemoney - Expected winnings each category race;- 1st -
> $50, 2nd - $25, 3rd - $15. First unplaced woman - $10. Entry fee - $8
> or $25 for the full 4 race series.
>
> Special grading rules for the Series; -
>
> The HPRW Grade Handicapper will be active to try to get everyone to
> have a chance of winning and sharing the prizemoney.
>
> Grades will be Elite, Cat 1, Cat 2 and Cat 3. If you outclass your
> fellow competitors, expect to be asked to go up a grade. If you are
> genuinely outclassed in your grade, please don't be shy to apply to the
> club handicapper to drop down - we want everyone to have a win sometime!
> All riders' gradings will be subject to the decisions of the Club
> Handicapper (Terry Bourne).
>
> These events are sponsored by the Brisbane City Council, Northgate Ward
> Livability Committee
>
> * The HPRW Summer Criterium Series program is at
> www.hamiltonwheelers.com/page3.html

Also the Beer Mile is happening at the bottom oval at Griffith Uni at
4pm, so email me for details.

If all my mates go riding, I might have to skip the double fun-run in
favour of the cheaper option!

Tam

Donga wrote:

> Adam wrote:
> >Also anyone doing the annual run up Mt Nebo on Australia Day?

> Thanks for the reminder Adam. After 3 weeks of extended Christmas
> pig-out and no bike, I don't know that I could haul my lard-sack up the
> hill! Perhaps I'll start at 5 and see you at the top. Not going to
> Glorious?
>
> Donga

I take it that the "annual run up Mt Nebo" is not actually a run?

Tam

Tam said:
>I take it that the "annual run up Mt Nebo" is not actually a run?

Did she really say that?
;^)

Donga wrote:

> Tam said:
> >I take it that the "annual run up Mt Nebo" is not actually a run?

> Did she really say that?
> ;^)

We have an annual fat-ass run (unsupported ultra) up Nebo, is all, a
46km return loop of trail. So just checking :)

> Tam said:

We have an annual fat-ass run (unsupported ultra) up Nebo, is all, a
46km return loop of trail. So just checking :)

Thats just crazy talk!!!

Ah trail loops. Reminds me of the high school cross country races - 2 laps including a bush loop. I was remarkably adept at hiding (unsupported) and waiting till the runners returned for lap two. And they wondered where I got my kick from. :D