Brisbane rides...

Absent Husband

Guest
Hi all,

I'm returning to the cycling world again, after a 12-month lay off due to
injury (thanks to the 86-year old assassin who didn't see me when she was
driving across an intersection.... But its not as if I'm still bitter or
anything....) ;)

Anyway - now that my insurance cheque has paid for a funky new Orbea road
bike (thanks to the guys from Victors for their help), I'm ready to rejoin
the riding world again.

Basically, was wondering about opinions on the best group rides out there
for someone like myself. I've heard that the la Dolce Vita, Southbank Star
Cafe & a few shop rides still exist - does anyone know which of these would
be pitched at "social/training" level (I imagine it will take a while for me
to reach some sort of "intermediate" level of speed/endurance).

Any opinions apreciated,
Paul G

- does anyone know which of these would
> be pitched at "social/training" level (I imagine it will take a while for me
> to reach some sort of "intermediate" level of speed/endurance).

You start off riding with the gerries (geriatrics) at Park Rd, Milton.
Usually, for every fast ride, there's a slow(er) ride that heads off a
few minutes afterwards. When I'm making a comeback from injury or
laziness, I do a few weeks with the slow riders before I brave the fast
rides. But keep your eyes peeled - the slower the ride, the more falls
there are.
6am Saturday is a good start - about 40-45km
--
Mark Lee

"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Basically, was wondering about opinions on the best group rides out there
> for someone like myself. I've heard that the la Dolce Vita, Southbank Star
> Cafe & a few shop rides still exist - does anyone know which of these
> would be pitched at "social/training" level (I imagine it will take a
> while for me to reach some sort of "intermediate" level of
> speed/endurance).

There is a faster bunch and a slower bunch that leave from the Star Cafe
6:00am Sat. For the first time this week I'll be tagging along with the
"slower" group. I'm also trying to reach some reasonable level of speed
and endurance. I haven't done any bunch riding before so I have no idea
where I fit in. Only one way to find out I guess. If I lose touch with the
peloton - so be it :)

Mick

I don't seem to understand why everyone is so intent on riding in a peloton.. why not just go for a ride with a small group of people? Personally, I hate riding with more than 10 other people, particularly gerries. The last time I rode with the gerries I was told "Hold your line son!". That was 10 years ago and I still hold it against them.

"LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I don't seem to understand why everyone is so intent on riding in a
> peloton.. why not just go for a ride with a small group of people?
> Personally, I hate riding with more than 10 other people, particularly
> gerries. The last time I rode with the gerries I was told "Hold your
> line son!". That was 10 years ago and I still hold it against them.

Gerries! I resemble that remark! ;-)

I was using the term peloton very loosely. For me I know riding in a
group will be a good way to get faster 'cos I know I'm going to have
to push myself just to keep up. But for those who are capable of
rubbing shoulders in a big group zipping along at 40+ k's, that has
gotta be a buzz!

Whatever turns you on - as long as you're out there peddlin'.

Mick

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I don't seem to understand why everyone is so intent on riding in a
> peloton.. why not just go for a ride with a small group of people?
> Personally, I hate riding with more than 10 other people, particularly
> gerries. The last time I rode with the gerries I was told "Hold your
> line son!". That was 10 years ago and I still hold it against them.

Why not learn to "hold your line" and enjoy the faster riding and
competitive camaraderie? ... which will include the occasional expletive.

Not everyone is intent on riding in a bigger group. That's fine...
especially if you can't hold a line.
--
Mark Lee

Could you hold your line when you were 11. I was out doing a Sundya training ride with the *****es - I mean Gerries. FYI, it wasn't the 'hold your line' bit that ****** me off - it was the 'son' bit.

LotteBum wrote:

> I don't seem to understand why everyone is so intent on riding in a
> peloton.. why not just go for a ride with a small group of people?
> Personally, I hate riding with more than 10 other people, particularly
> gerries. The last time I rode with the gerries I was told "Hold your
> line son!". That was 10 years ago and I still hold it against them.
>
> --
> LotteBum

As a triathlete who will never be good enough to be in an elite drafting
race, I don't see the point of being in a big group. On training rides,
once we hit open road, coach often makes us sit back 7m.