Bristol - Glastonbury - Bridgwater

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kate, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Hello.

    Does anyone know how far it is to go along NCN 3 from Bristol to Glastonbury and then on to
    Bridgwater? I'm thinking of cycling to Glastonbury for the festival this year - haven't got time to
    cycle all the way from home (Manchester) but might get a train to Bristol and go from there. After
    the festival I'm going to Bridgwater and thence back to Bristol, and I need to work out how long
    it'll take me in order to book train tickets.

    I've looked at the maps on the Sustrans site and I can see that NCN 3 goes just where I want to go,
    but can't tell easily from the maps how far it is (the route looks quite wiggly, and the maps aren't
    great) or how hilly. Is the route easy to find from Bristol Temple Meads? I've often found NCN
    routes to be easy to follow once you're on them, but a nightmare to find in the first place...

    Thanks,

    Kate

    Tags:

  2. > Does anyone know how far it is to go along NCN 3 from Bristol to Glastonbury and then on to
    > Bridgwater?

    The paper map says 49 miles Bristol to Glastonbury, and Bristol-Bridgewater seems to be about 70
    miles total. Between Bristol and Glastonbury you go over the Mendips, maximum altitude close to
    300m, it looks like, but Glastonbury - Bridgewater is pretty flat.

    Jeremy Parker

  3. Hopefully you will find your way onto the NCN3 fairly easily from Temple Meads. I have found that
    the Sustrans signposting reasonably good in Bristol; after all, Sustrans is based there!

    Don't forget that the festival is not actually held at Glastonbury, but at Pilton, which is about 5
    miles out of Glastonbury on the Shepton Mallet road.

    Suggest you get an OS Landranger map of the area and copy the Sustrans route on to it with a
    highlighter, which is what I find the best.

    Suggest you follow NCN3 through Wells then cut off at Launcherley and go through North Wootton to
    Pilton. Probably a good day's ride from Bristol.

  4. ...Forgot to mention... after you leave Pilton take the main road to Glastonbury and pick up route 3
    from there to Bridgwater. 25 miles or so, I'd guess. 3 hours riding time?

    Out of interest, why aren't you taking the train the Bridgwater on the outward journey - would make
    the cycling a lot easier.

  5. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    kate wrote:
    > I'm thinking of cycling to Glastonbury for the festival this year

    I would be too, but for the incredible situation with ticket sales this year. I don't suppose anyone
    know anywhere with any tickets at face value (i.e. not touted).

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  6. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:14:58 +0100, "NO SPAM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Much easier from Brigwater

    Especially if you have been to a Certain Local Shop for a few upgrades or even a New Bike :)

    Guy
    ===

  8. On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:14:58 +0100, "NO SPAM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello, Much easier from Brigwater. I was over there last week. The route from the Bristol end is
    >dire. Kind regards, John.

    It's a super ride. What are you saying? Afraid of a few hills?

  9. Walter Rixon

    Walter Rixon Guest

    "Jeremy Parker" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone know how far it is to go along NCN 3 from Bristol to
    Glastonbury and then on to Bridgwater? > Jeremy Parker

    Hi. I wouldn't worry about accuratw mileage! I know it's hillier, but I advise staying off the main
    roads as you head south. Lots of nice routes, say aroung Chew Valley. From Glastonburym similarly,
    I'd avoid the A39. Narrow and busy. Nice lanes running paeallwl just to the north. A good cafe at
    the Willows Garden Centre betwwen Shapwick and Westhay, where you can almost always meet cyclists ,
    (tourists and clubs) Walter Rixon, Tor 2000 C.C. and C,T.C

  10. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Thanks everyone. It's a little further than I'd thought from the map but I think I can still do it
    in an afternoon/evening (first train arrives Bristol 11:30). I've just got my first bike that's up
    to doing longish distances and hills and am eager to give it some exercise (hence train to Bristol
    on the way down, not Bridgwater). Hopefully I'll cope with the hills - I was struggling up some
    hills in the peak district (in the pouring rain) last week, wishing I had lower gears/more fitness.
    Surely soft southern hills can't be as bad??? But no doubt they can.

    Has anyone left a bike in one of the Glastonbury lock-ups? Does it feel safe? Can you lock it to
    something (must check the terms of my insurance)?

    Kate

  11. Zutlewurdle

    Zutlewurdle Guest

    Hi Jim,

    I've no idea what face value is, but these popped up on Exeter Uni's noticeboard yesterday.

    http://www.ex.ac.uk/noticeboard/2582.html

    I consult there from time to time so always keep an eye on it for bike bits.

    Best Wishes

    Roy

    ----
    · · ThisIsMe.co.uk Web Solutions

    · · Email: [email protected] · · Web: www.ThisIsMe.co.uk

    ----

    ----

    "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3EE9F71D.7[email protected]...
    > kate wrote:
    > > I'm thinking of cycling to Glastonbury for the festival this year
    >
    > I would be too, but for the incredible situation with ticket sales this year. I don't suppose
    > anyone know anywhere with any tickets at face value (i.e. not touted).
    >
    > --
    > Jim Price
    >
    > http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com
    >
    > Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.

  12. Alex Veitch

    Alex Veitch Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:20:43 +0000 (UTC), "Zutlewurdle"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Jim,
    >
    >I've no idea what face value is, but these popped up on Exeter Uni's noticeboard yesterday.
    >
    >http://www.ex.ac.uk/noticeboard/2582.html
    >
    >I consult there from time to time so always keep an eye on it for bike bits.

    Face value is about £105. Most ones I've seen for sale are going for £200ish, so this seems quite
    good. Just after it sold out I saw some at £1500 each on eBay - although I doubt that the high
    bidder paid up.

    --
    Reply to my first name at my surname dot org dot uk

  13. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

  14. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Alex Veitch wrote:
    > Face value is about £105. Most ones I've seen for sale are going for £200ish, so this seems quite
    > good. Just after it sold out I saw some at £1500 each on eBay - although I doubt that the high
    > bidder paid up.

    Its been a lousy situation, and I can't honestly believe that all those tickets were bought by
    regular Glastonbury goers in that short a space of time.

    The tickets may include a camper van pass, which would make them nearer face value?

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.