Britain's greatest invention: The bike?

Roger Zoul wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18069-1376728,00.html

> The author uses words differently than I do, apparently.

LOL! I particularly like this part:
"How many fan websites are there devoted to electricity or
the light bulb?"

But how did the light bulb make it on the list? Wasn't the
light bulb invented by Thomas Edison, an American?

--
Mike Kruger
Too many people spend money they haven't earned

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:57:26 -0600, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <1101956261.psS6t3/DwJ5XcPEcdXm87g@teranews>:

>But how did the light bulb make it on the list? Wasn't the
>light bulb invented by Thomas Edison, an American?

Electrickery was discovered by Michael Faraday, an Englishman.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> Electrickery was discovered by Michael Faraday, an Englishman.

Faraday did some experiments. But it took a Frenchman (Ampere) and a
Scottsman (Maxwell) to describe the physics.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Electrickery was discovered by Michael Faraday, an Englishman.

Eh, so he claims. I still don't believe in the stuff.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Zoul wrote:
>>

> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18069-1376728,00.html
>>
>> The author uses words differently than I do, apparently.

> LOL! I particularly like this part:
> "How many fan websites are there devoted to electricity or
> the light bulb?"
>
> But how did the light bulb make it on the list? Wasn't the
> light bulb invented by Thomas Edison, an American?

There was a British inventor named Swann who developed a light bulb
about the same time Edison did, and who is, I've heard, widely regarded
in the UK as "the" inventor, as Edison is in the US. What set Edison
apart from various other light-bulb inventors is that he went on to
assemble the whole system of generators, switches, meters, sockets,
etc., that were needed to make the light bulb practical.

From <http://www.design-technology.info/inventors/page27.htm>:
"Joseph Swann worked on developing a filament lamp before Tomas Edison
and patented a design for an electric bulb. The patent however was
ultimately acquired by Edison buying the company that owned the patent.
"

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply to: [email protected])

On 2 Dec 2004 20:42:14 GMT, Ray Heindl <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Roger Zoul wrote:
>>>

>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18069-1376728,00.html
>>>
>>> The author uses words differently than I do, apparently.

>> LOL! I particularly like this part:
>> "How many fan websites are there devoted to electricity or
>> the light bulb?"
>>
>> But how did the light bulb make it on the list? Wasn't the
>> light bulb invented by Thomas Edison, an American?

> There was a British inventor named Swann who developed a light bulb
> about the same time Edison did, and who is, I've heard, widely regarded
> in the UK as "the" inventor, as Edison is in the US. What set Edison
> apart from various other light-bulb inventors is that he went on to
> assemble the whole system of generators, switches, meters, sockets,
> etc., that were needed to make the light bulb practical.
>
> From <http://www.design-technology.info/inventors/page27.htm>:
> "Joseph Swann worked on developing a filament lamp before Tomas Edison
> and patented a design for an electric bulb. The patent however was
> ultimately acquired by Edison buying the company that owned the patent.
> "

What really happened was that Edison figured out to empty the tube of
oxygen which would consume the filament. Someone else invented it, he
just improved it and got all the credit. Edison was famous for that.
Many of his inventions were not his own but ones that he found and
improved then patented in his name.
Same thing that happened in photography, it was not DaGuerre who was
the inventor, just the improver who got credit. Television was invented
by Philo T. Farnsworth, but RCA held him up so long his original patents
expired and RCA got the credit and the money. There are lots of crooked
invention patents out there if you know the history. Some companies like
RCA are big enough to sit and wait while the other guy starves. Of course
look what finally happened to RCA. Gulp! European, now the name is all but
dead. When the purchase took place the new company had the balls to
rewrite the data manuals to say that they had invented the LED or
Light Emitting Diode. There were a whole lot of American engineers ******
about that, but it got the point across, money talks.
On a final note about Edison he wanted to distribute DC power and fought
Nicola Tesla almost into bankruptcy before Tesla found backing in
Westinghouse.
Guess who won, even though Westinghouse is all but a memory now?
Money does talk.
Sorry about the off topic, but I am an electronics engineer and don't
like money rewriting history.
Here is an on topic sort of thing. Has anyody put and serious thought
into taking those dynamo hubs and charging a NiMh battery pack with them
so they could be used as a motor for some bonked rides home? Not rockect
science but doable, maybe even with Lithium batteries.
Huh? Come on now, this is a bright group.

--
Bill (?) Baka

Bill Baka wrote:

> Sorry about the off topic, but I am an electronics engineer and don't
> like money rewriting history.
> Here is an on topic sort of thing. Has anyody put and serious thought
> into taking those dynamo hubs and charging a NiMh battery pack with them
> so they could be used as a motor for some bonked rides home? Not rockect
> science but doable, maybe even with Lithium batteries.
> Huh? Come on now, this is a bright group.

Since you're an electrical engineer, why not work out the energy balance
and report back?

Compute, say, the extra work required per mile to run the dyno hub; the
energy output of the hub; the efficiency of the charging system; the
efficiency of the battery storage (i.e. energy recovered versus energy
input to the battery); efficiency of the motor you'll use to use the
battery's output; and see what you come up with for an overall system
efficiency.

Then figure out the weight of batteries you'd need to move you, say, ten
miles back home. Oh, and the cost of the system.

Let us know how it all works out. Even rough guesses should tell us a lot.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Ray Heindl wrote:
> "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> But how did the light bulb make it on the list? Wasn't

the
>> light bulb invented by Thomas Edison, an American?

> There was a British inventor named Swann who developed a

light bulb
> about the same time Edison did ...

Thanks. I learned at least one new thing today.

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:40:09 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>

>> Sorry about the off topic, but I am an electronics engineer and don't
>> like money rewriting history.
>> Here is an on topic sort of thing. Has anyody put and serious thought
>> into taking those dynamo hubs and charging a NiMh battery pack with them
>> so they could be used as a motor for some bonked rides home? Not rockect
>> science but doable, maybe even with Lithium batteries.
>> Huh? Come on now, this is a bright group.

> Since you're an electrical engineer, why not work out the energy balance
> and report back?

The dyno hubs are only good for about maybe ten watts which might be great
for a light but nothing for powering a bike. 200 watts and it would work,
but
the cost of the hub would go up as well as the bike ugly thing in the
middle
of the wheel. With battery technology going like it is and solar cell
reearch, why not?

> Compute, say, the extra work required per mile to run the dyno hub; the
> energy output of the hub; the efficiency of the charging system; the
> efficiency of the battery storage (i.e. energy recovered versus energy
> input to the battery); efficiency of the motor you'll use to use the
> battery's output; and see what you come up with for an overall system
> efficiency.

I was thinking of a dynamic breaking scheme where you could dump the energy
back into the batteries instead of burning up brake pads and on some of
those
long downhills, even Page Mill Road in Palo Alto you could pass on a few
MPH
of wind and put it back into the batterie pack.

> Then figure out the weight of batteries you'd need to move you, say, ten
> miles back home. Oh, and the cost of the system.

cost might be a bit high for right now, although the Chinese are dumping
toy electric bikes with a top end of 25 MPH here for about$400 to $500
but they are using lead acid batteries. <Less that 500 deep cycles and you
need a new batterie/(s) NiMH might be more expensive but would hold out
longer
and I don't know how Lithium would go in that market. It seems like a time
that has come and is ready.

> Let us know how it all works out. Even rough guesses should tell us a
> lot.

Rough guess is a lot less little old ladies and just plain lazy people
getting
into their gas guzzler to go around the street for a pack of cigarettes.
Ny neighbor does that 3 times a day to buy one pack at a time and complains
she can't walk that far and she is 8 years younger than me. Talk about a
waste of gas.
Maybe $5.00 a gallon might do something (like make Bush and company
richer.)
I see 300 pound women get into their electric scooters at Wal-Mart and
then stand up
to get the high items off the shelf??? What's going on there? Milking SSI?

--
Bill (?) Baka

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:50:51 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>The dyno hubs are only good for about maybe ten watts which might be great
>for a light but nothing for powering a bike. 200 watts and it would work,
>but the cost of the hub would go up as well as the bike ugly thing in the
>middle of the wheel. With battery technology going like it is and solar cell
>reearch, why not?

Because the rider has to input the power. In order for even a 100%
efficient system to be able to get you home, charged solely form the
on-board dynamo, and assuming you use regenerative braking, I still
can't imagine that you'd be able to do it without either taking far
too long to charge, or requiring the rider to work around 50% harder
while pedalling - in which case the device would create its own
necessity...

I am reminded of the design phase of the Mosquito bomber during WWII.
The Air Ministry insisted that all bombers must have a mid-upper
turret, so de Havilland arranged some mock dogfights between the
Mosquito and a Spitfire, with and without a mockup turret. Without
the turret the Mossie could outrun, out-climb and out-turn the
Spitfire. With the turret, the Spitfire caught it easily. Thus
proving that the only way a Mosquito would need a turret was if you
put a turret on it :)

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

Roger Zoul wrote:
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18069-1376728,00.html
>
>The author uses words differently than I do, apparently.

And a different version of history too!

The bicycle was invented by two Frenchmen, Pierre and Ernest Michaux
(father and son). This was for a bicycle with pedal and cranks (1861).

Baron Karl Drais von Sauerbronn, a German, invented the wooden machine
with two wheels that you propelled with your feet, and could steer (1818).

Prior to that, there was a non-steerable machine, invented in 1790 by
Comte Mede de Sivrac (French).

The Penny Farthing was invented in 1871 by British engineer, James Starley.

I think that a Brit did invent the bicycle helmet, even though some
people claim that it was invented by Herman Roth and Charles Lombard in
1960.

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:33:14 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<[email protected]>:

>The bicycle was invented by two Frenchmen, Pierre and Ernest Michaux
>(father and son). This was for a bicycle with pedal and cranks (1861).

Well, they invented the pedal and cranks anyway. The British claim is
the safety bicycle, invented by John Kemp Starley and William Sutton
in 1885. Actually a development of the Lawson bicyclette, I think,
itself a development of the Bates "Flying Dutchman".

As with so many inventions the man with his name on the patent may
well not be the originator of the idea...

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:03:40 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:50:51 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote
> in message <[email protected]>:
>
>> The dyno hubs are only good for about maybe ten watts which might be
>> great
>> for a light but nothing for powering a bike. 200 watts and it would
>> work,
>> but the cost of the hub would go up as well as the bike ugly thing in
>> the
>> middle of the wheel. With battery technology going like it is and solar
>> cell
>> reearch, why not?

> Because the rider has to input the power. In order for even a 100%
> efficient system to be able to get you home, charged solely form the
> on-board dynamo, and assuming you use regenerative braking, I still
> can't imagine that you'd be able to do it without either taking far
> too long to charge, or requiring the rider to work around 50% harder
> while pedalling - in which case the device would create its own
> necessity...
>
> I am reminded of the design phase of the Mosquito bomber during WWII.
> The Air Ministry insisted that all bombers must have a mid-upper
> turret, so de Havilland arranged some mock dogfights between the
> Mosquito and a Spitfire, with and without a mockup turret. Without
> the turret the Mossie could outrun, out-climb and out-turn the
> Spitfire. With the turret, the Spitfire caught it easily. Thus
> proving that the only way a Mosquito would need a turret was if you
> put a turret on it :)
>
> Guy
> --
> "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
> blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
> onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
> around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

I was thinking of charging going down those sometimes tedious
long slow downhills, and to some extent braking duty coming
up to a known slow down point. Putting enough charge in the
it could be used for something else, not a whole electric mo-ped.
Just an idea.

--
Bill (?) Baka

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:23:27 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>I was thinking of charging going down those sometimes tedious
>long slow downhills, and to some extent braking duty coming
>up to a known slow down point. Putting enough charge in the
>it could be used for something else, not a whole electric mo-ped.
>Just an idea.

I think the real utility here will come when we can get decent
conversion efficiency with rechargeable batteries and that will let me
charge my headtorch battery on the morning commute (when I don't need
it). The chances of getting enough power out of a bike-driven
generator to push the bike along? Low at present, for my money.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:36:11 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:23:27 -0800, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote
> in message <[email protected]>:
>
>> I was thinking of charging going down those sometimes tedious
>> long slow downhills, and to some extent braking duty coming
>> up to a known slow down point. Putting enough charge in the
>> it could be used for something else, not a whole electric mo-ped.
>> Just an idea.

> I think the real utility here will come when we can get decent
> conversion efficiency with rechargeable batteries and that will let me
> charge my headtorch battery on the morning commute (when I don't need
> it). The chances of getting enough power out of a bike-driven
> generator to push the bike along? Low at present, for my money.

Guy,
Charging a set of batteries for night time commuting should be next to
nothing. Regen braking, charging while coasting down to a stop sign, and
stuff like that should do it for lights. Pushing the bike might mean
plugging it in at night or putting <really geeky> solar cells on it to get
any tractive power, but it was just a stray thought.
Bill