Britain's Greatest?

jamie72

Nov 19, 2009
Well my top three are Tom Simpson, Robert Millar, Beryl Burton. In that order. Anyone else?

Sorry if this has been done before, I'm new.

Basil Brush was nobody without that blokes hand up his **** and Benny Hill was just an old perv who weren't even funny so no!!

jamie72 said:
Basil Brush was nobody without that blokes hand up his **** and Benny Hill was just an old perv who weren't even funny so no!!

Basil Brush was gay? No farkin way!!!!!!

1) Millar (2 KOM Jerseys & 3 Grand Tour podium places) 2) Simpson & 3) Cav

gtm said:
1) Millar (2 KOM Jerseys & 3 Grand Tour podium places) 2) Simpson & 3) Cav

They have nothing on:
Bruce Dickenson, Ricky Gervais, and Sacha Baron Cohen...:D

Booyakasha!

Roberta Millar. Apparently she's now the only queen to have won the King of the Mountains (and the only English speaking rider to have won the KOM in the Tour. Word has it that Jeanie Longo, after a peak in the showers, said "haw he haw, my clenis is bigger zan his!" Great cyclist but riding with a tuck-under can't be fun.

Yakko said:
They have nothing on:
Bruce Dickenson, Ricky Gervais, and Sacha Baron Cohen...:D

Booyakasha!

This is a cycling forum :eek: but I'll play your game :D:-

1) Henry V - he won his own 'Tour De France' in 1415

2) George Orwell - Good old Laurent Fignon won the tour in 1984

3) Kirpatrick MacMillan

& a big chapeau to Barry Hoban, Brian Robinson & Sean Yates

swampy1970 said:
Roberta Millar. Apparently she's now the only queen to have won the King of the Mountains (and the only English speaking rider to have won the KOM in the Tour. Word has it that Jeanie Longo, after a peak in the showers, said "haw he haw, my clenis is bigger zan his!" Great cyclist but riding with a tuck-under can't be fun.

That is totally untrue. A tabloid paparazzi took a shot of him wearing a baggy t-shirt in the wind - some assumed he'd had breast implants. He never had a sex change etc

gtm said:
That is totally untrue. A tabloid paparazzi took a shot of him wearing a baggy t-shirt in the wind - some assumed he'd had breast implants. He never had a sex change etc

I can believe that...after all, they seemed to make big Jan look pregnant in the off season! ;)

swampy1970 said:

That's just wrong...but damn funny!

My vote in this order.

Robert Millar is the best GT rider that Britain has produced.
Classement jerseys in GT : top 10 placings too.
Superb rider.

Beryl Burton : her record speaks for itself : multiple world champion : literally head and shoulders above her opposition.
Female Merckx, in fact.

Tom Simpson : before I am lambasted, we all know what he died of.
First British rider to hold the MJ at the TDF : world champion : Top 10 TDF finisher : winner of several world class one day races.

Simpson won Milan San Remo, Tour of Flanders, Bourdeaux Paris, World Championship Road Race, Tour of Lombardy. Oh and 5th place in the TDF and a string of placings in classics.
OK the drugs but they were all at it. It would be naive to think that Tom Simpson was the only cyclist using amphetamines in the 60's. It's just that Simpson paid the highest price.
The greatest Brit by a long margin I reckon..

Simpson has the best road record by a good margin I think. A very classy rider.

Are we forgetting the track though? Hoy has dominated track sprinting and Wiggins is a monster in the individual pursuit. As was Chris Boardman.

I think Malcom Elliot won the points jersey at the Vuelta one year? That was a pretty solid effort. And he's still riding professionally despite being over 40!

classic1 said:
Nearly as classy as the above post.

Wow. So keen. You really got a feel for a guy that keels over 'cuz the dope didn't play well with his activity......oh wait. That's not it. Maybe what I shoulda said was, "Oh how massive is the respect I have for the tragic death of cyclist on speed." Who would've expected death to be a possible outcome? Why, let's prop the guy up on a pedestal and talk with a put on politesse about what a great rider he was.......on speed.

Sorry I didn't give your hero what you thought was his due. See, I think he got what was his due.

Next time I'll make sure to clear my posts with you.