Britain's Greatest?

alienator said:
Wow. So keen. You really got a feel for a guy that keels over 'cuz the dope didn't play well with his activity......oh wait. That's not it. Maybe what I shoulda said was, "Oh how massive is the respect I have for the tragic death of cyclist on speed." Who would've expected death to be a possible outcome? Why, let's prop the guy up on a pedestal and talk with a put on politesse about what a great rider he was.......on speed.

Sorry I didn't give your hero what you thought was his due. See, I think he got what was his due.

Next time I'll make sure to clear my posts with you.

Show me the part where I wrote that he was my hero.

Why such a big bug up your **** about Tom Simpson? Did you catch him rooting your mum? Or your dad? Continue to act like the massive tool you so obviously are though. It makes everyone else here feel so much better about themselves.

classic1 said:

Why such a big bug up your **** about Tom Simpson? Did you catch him rooting your mum? Or your dad? Continue to act like the massive tool you so obviously are though. It makes everyone else here feel so much better about themselves.

Wow. How erudite. What unmatchable skills of critical thought!

Who said I had a bug up my anus about Tom Simpson? Those are your words, Sandra, not mine. You really must think you can figure everyone out by words on a screen. I just indicated that I don't have much respect for a guy that goes tits up 'cuz he took too many happy pills. So?

What mad skillz. The Valium's on your nightstand, BTW. You might give it a go. You seem a bit tightly wound. I didn't mean to speak ill of one your heros. Do you want a hanky?

alienator said:
Wow. How erudite. What unmatchable skills of critical thought!

Who said I had a bug up my anus about Tom Simpson? Those are your words, Sandra, not mine. You really must think you can figure everyone out by words on a screen. I just indicated that I don't have much respect for a guy that goes tits up 'cuz he took too many happy pills. So?

What mad skillz. The Valium's on your nightstand, BTW. You might give it a go. You seem a bit tightly wound. I didn't mean to speak ill of one your heros. Do you want a hanky?

Yeah, I suppose we all need someone to look down on from our high and mighty perches. You have Tom Simpson. The rest of us have you.

Eldrack said:
Simpson has the best road record by a good margin I think. A very classy rider.

Are we forgetting the track though? Hoy has dominated track sprinting and Wiggins is a monster in the individual pursuit. As was Chris Boardman.

I think Malcom Elliot won the points jersey at the Vuelta one year? That was a pretty solid effort. And he's still riding professionally despite being over 40!

Reg Harris?
Superb track rider.
Great palmres.

Malcolm Elliot is riding phenomenally well for quy at his age.
I see him over here practically each year, racing the Ras.
He's beating guys, half his age!

So Alienator what you are saying in essence is that any professional cyclist in the history of cyclesport to have taken performance enhancing substances deserves to die? Surely not?

alienator said:
It was really classy the way that Simpson keeled over and died.

It was tragic. Doping in that era was pretty much taken as read. They got banned for 1 month if caught which shows how seriously the UCI etc took it. Even Merckxx got caught out. It doesn't make it right but it's unfair to equate Simpson with modern dopers.

jamie72 said:
So Alienator what you are saying in essence is that any professional cyclist in the history of cyclesport to have taken performance enhancing substances deserves to die? Surely not?

No, I didn't say that, but when someone keels over for taking substances in ways they were intended, they got what they came for. It's what happens when you don't use that brain thing. Simpson was no different than drunk drivers, Pantani, or heroin junkies that accidentally OD.

gtm said:
It was tragic. Doping in that era was pretty much taken as read. They got banned for 1 month if caught which shows how seriously the UCI etc took it. Even Merckxx got caught out. It doesn't make it right but it's unfair to equate Simpson with modern dopers.

Why not? He did the exact same thing. The effects of amphetamines were well known in his day. All that was required of Simpson was willful ignorance.

jamie72 said:
Err ok then. Bit harsh maybe?

Why harsh? As I said, the effects of amphetamines has long been known. Combining high cardiac output, latent fatigue from a long race, the lower oxygen content at higher altitudes, and amphetamines used inappropriately. That's not exactly smart. That's why there's an exit ladder in the gene pool. Frankly, it's stupid.

If you want a hero named Simpson, look at Joe Simpson. On Siula Grande, in the Andes, in 1985, rescued himself, critically injured, from high on the mountain, where he was left for dead, and dragged himself many miles, short on blood, with a mangled leg, to finally be rescued. It was a feat that makes winning any grand tour look like taking a dump, in terms of difficulty. He did it without water, without help. He did it because he was a tough bugger. He didn't need amphetamines or any other chemical aids. Yet he's not considered the "hero" that Cyclist Simpson is. In that light, Tom Simpson doesn't look worthy of any hero worship. Just to recap: Tom Simpson died because he cheated and took amphetamines. If he's a hero, then the hero standard is set pretty damned low.

classic1 said:

Some people don't even need drugs to get a weird effect in their head, Classic. Give them a little platform and they act like complete tools- baiting people, telling them off and generally being unpleasant. No doubt this is even worse when that person is clearly on drugs.

That's why Alienator doesn't like Tom Simpson. Because people on drugs behave badly.

Interesting that someone brought up Joe SImpson, however. His episode on Suila Grande was, if not quite unparalleled, a rare and exceptional feat of survival. And yet almost no-one in the climbing community seems to have a nice word to say about him.

Imagine what he'd be like on drugs...

Anyway Alienator, back on topic.

You've made your feelings clear about my choice. Who do YOU think is Britain's greatest cyclist?

alienator said:
Why harsh? As I said, the effects of amphetamines has long been known. Combining high cardiac output, latent fatigue from a long race, the lower oxygen content at higher altitudes, and amphetamines used inappropriately. That's not exactly smart. That's why there's an exit ladder in the gene pool. Frankly, it's stupid.

If you want a hero named Simpson, look at Joe Simpson. On Siula Grande, in the Andes, in 1985, rescued himself, critically injured, from high on the mountain, where he was left for dead, and dragged himself many miles, short on blood, with a mangled leg, to finally be rescued. It was a feat that makes winning any grand tour look like taking a dump, in terms of difficulty. He did it without water, without help. He did it because he was a tough bugger. He didn't need amphetamines or any other chemical aids. Yet he's not considered the "hero" that Cyclist Simpson is. In that light, Tom Simpson doesn't look worthy of any hero worship. Just to recap: Tom Simpson died because he cheated and took amphetamines. If he's a hero, then the hero standard is set pretty damned low.

This thread isn't about heroes, it's about who was the best rider. Sure Simpson isn't the best hero figure, but he is one of the best riders Britain has ever produced.