British Bike Tribes in THE INDEPENDENT

I'm not too happy about the courier who said

"I'm not as aggressive as some couriers, many of whom take even me by
surprise. Recently, a woman walked out in front of me while I was
filtering through traffic at Parliament Square. I hit her so hard she
was out cold for about a minute."

I've been a courier and frankly there's no excuse for that sort of
thing. I doesn't take too long to realize that around london many people
are used to traffic that comes from the left.. you just take extra care.

and as for the statement:

"I don't take too many risks but it's hard - most of us get paid by the
drop and the faster you go, the more money you make."

well, I think I know how most of us would feel if a taxi or LGV driver
were to say that.

Roger Thorpe

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:51:41 +0100
Roger Thorpe <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm not too happy about the courier who said
>
> "I'm not as aggressive as some couriers, many of whom take even me by
> surprise. Recently, a woman walked out in front of me while I was
> filtering through traffic at Parliament Square. I hit her so hard she
> was out cold for about a minute."
>
> I've been a courier and

Write to the paper! You're exactly the person to be seen complaining
of that particular comment.

--
not me guv

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:51:41 +0100
Roger Thorpe <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm not too happy about the courier

Not just him - the fixy guy who ignores the legal requirement for a
brake, the one who thinks it's safe to hang shopping from the
handlebars ...

On Jun 6, 8:13 am, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
> Article in today's INDEPENDENT about bike "tribes" in the UK - dark
> siders, Bromptonautes, etc.
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/wheel-life-a-gu...
>
> Apologies if already posted.
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

I've been fighting an urge for a year or so to get hold of a similar
BMX to the one I had in th 80s - a Raleigh Burner Super Tuff-II with
Skyway Mags - before the oval tubing nonsense...

...The wife's away this weekend - I wonder how she'd feel about
another bike in the lounge? Maybe if I hid it under all the others
she wouldn't even notice!

Regards,

Duncan

> ...The wife's away this weekend - I wonder how she'd feel about
> another bike in the lounge? Maybe if I hid it under all the others
> she wouldn't even notice!

> Regards,

> Duncan

Not been married long? IM(limited)E wives/partners can notice an extra
grain of dust if you've been assigned to doing the cleaning....

pOB

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:08:08 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Duncan
Smith <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
>types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
>term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

Someone who swings both ways. Bisexual:)

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:08:08 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Duncan
> Smith <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
>>types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
>>term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

> Someone who swings both ways. Bisexual:)

Bikesexual, surely! ;-)

Colin Reed wrote:

>"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:08:08 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Duncan
>> Smith <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>>
>>>That's quite a well written and interesting article, classifies the
>>>types of cycling groups rather well I thought. I wonder if there's a
>>>term for those who happily cast themselves between groups at will?

>> Someone who swings both ways. Bisexual:)
>>

>Bikesexual, surely! ;-)

What have French leap-years got to do with it? ;-)