UK and Europe · Public discussion

British Cycling in Schools Update

Started by vernon · · Last activity · 4 posts · 658 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
12 September 2007
Last activity
13 September 2007
Original author
vernon
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
658
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
    recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
    targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
    open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
    schools and about their helmet policy.

    I've been offered four full days of coaching catering for for forty pupils.
    Each pupil getting four half days of cycling. In addition I've been offered
    training to qualify as a coach/leader for Go Ride and things are looking
    very positive.

    When the rep heaard about tentative plans to incorporate a mountain bike
    circuit I, I was also offered access to the development officer who would
    work with the contractors to provide appropriate facilities.

    Things are looking good.....

  2. vernon said:

    Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
    recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
    targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
    open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
    schools and about their helmet policy.

    Competitive cycling is desperately short of girls, and they are keen
    to get as many as possible racing. It is good for the girls though, as
    the fields are small the chances of picking up prizes are much higher.
    One of our riders reckons it is the best paying saturday job ever,
    picking up 15 quid for first girl after a 20 min race. 45 quid an hour
    as a 14 year old? not bad if you can do it.

    Quoted message said:


    I've been offered four full days of coaching catering for for forty pupils.
    Each pupil getting four half days of cycling. In addition I've been offered
    training to qualify as a coach/leader for Go Ride and things are looking
    very positive.

    The exercises are well thought out. I'm hoping to get on the next Go-
    Ride course up here.

    Quoted message said:

    When the rep heaard about tentative plans to incorporate a mountain bike
    circuit I, I was also offered access to the development officer who would
    work with the contractors to provide appropriate facilities.

    Things are looking good.....

    Indeed. It can only be beneficial in the long run. Glad to hear of
    such a positive outcome.

    ...d

  3. David Martin said:
    vernon said:

    Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
    recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
    targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
    open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
    schools and about their helmet policy.

    Competitive cycling is desperately short of girls, and they are keen
    to get as many as possible racing. It is good for the girls though, as
    the fields are small the chances of picking up prizes are much higher.
    One of our riders reckons it is the best paying saturday job ever,
    picking up 15 quid for first girl after a 20 min race. 45 quid an hour
    as a 14 year old? not bad if you can do it.

    Especially if your parents pay for the 450 quid bike!!

    BugBear

  4. On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:24:42 +0100, bugbear

    bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim said:
    David Martin said:
    vernon said:

    Today I met the regional rep from British Cycling. Yes they are in it as a
    recruiting exercise but what surprised me was the fact that they were
    targetting girls more than boys for the coaching sessions. The rep was very
    open about the driving forces behind British Cycling's involvement with
    schools and about their helmet policy.

    Competitive cycling is desperately short of girls, and they are keen
    to get as many as possible racing. It is good for the girls though, as
    the fields are small the chances of picking up prizes are much higher.
    One of our riders reckons it is the best paying saturday job ever,
    picking up 15 quid for first girl after a 20 min race. 45 quid an hour
    as a 14 year old? not bad if you can do it.

    Especially if your parents pay for the 450 quid bike!!

    www.islabikes.co.uk/images/gallery/main_images/gallery_temp_37.jpg
    Under 12s (boys and girls) Welsh cyclo-cross champion on a Luath 700,
    costing less than 400 quid.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.