British Eurosport Does it Again

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:10:03 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

I wrote:
>> I take it you can out-run Paula Radcliffe, out-cycle Nicole Cooke and get up and down a hill as
>> fast as Angel Mudge? No? Well, all three can beat a hell of a lot of men in their sport and I'm
>> happy watching them perform superiorly (is that a word) than many men perform dismally.
>>

> Have you never heard of womens sport ? Do you really think I was comparing me to them ? Compare
> like to like and then give me your answer.

I was. I was comparing all three of those athletes with men.

> If you can drag yourself away from the sink !

The cooker actually. She does the washing up, I do the cooking. Except when we have a change
of course.

Colin

In article <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I take it you can out-run Paula Radcliffe, out-cycle Nicole Cooke and get up and down a hill as
> fast as Angel Mudge? No? Well, all three can beat a hell of a lot of men in their sport and I'm
> happy watching them perform superiorly (is that a word) than many men perform dismally.

You missed out Rhona and Jackie.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton Council Member for Area 4 Royal Caledonian Curling Club
http://www.royalcaledoniancurlingclub.org

Sandy Morton <[email protected]> writes:

> In article <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I take it you can out-run Paula Radcliffe, out-cycle Nicole Cooke and get up and down a hill as
> > fast as Angel Mudge? No? Well, all three can beat a hell of a lot of men in their sport and I'm
> > happy watching them perform superiorly (is that a word) than many men perform dismally.
>
> You missed out Rhona and Jackie.

...and Ellen MacArthur, who for sheer toughness and determination makes everyone here look like an
unfit wimp. Mind you, of course, she doesn't compete in 'womens events'. She competes directly
against the best men in the world at the toughest sport in the world and often beats them.

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:07:24 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Providing a 'handicap' to help those less able is common in sport. Flyweight
> >> boxers/judoers/etc. and not expected to go up against a heavyweight.
> >>
> >> Women's sport is competitive and valuable in its own right. Often skill & guile play a greater
> >> part as brute strength is not so readily
available.

> > Why do we have feminists when you and Colin Blackburn are around ?
>
> So, as well as thinking all women's sport is **** you also think all feminists are women? It must
> be interesting in the games room of the local WMC.
>
> Colin

What's the WMC ?

Graham

Tony W wrote:
> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.
>
> When you find yourself in the lady's loo?
>

> When you find out that the spammers are right and you do need a 'little help'?
>
> :~O

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! DO NOT FEED THE TRO...

Oops. Too late.

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote >
> Women's sport is competitive and valuable in its own right. Often skill & guile play a greater
> part as brute strength is not so readily available.

Tony,

Women's sport is certainly competitive but so was the five-a-side football match my young son played
in a couple of weeks ago. Just because something is competitive does not make it interesting to a
wider audience.

Skill and guile used to play a big part in women's tennis but that was before women were able to
play using more power. Now that the Williams sisters have come along, I see less skill and guile and
more thump, thump. Unlike the men's game where power is more evenly matched between opponents and
there is a larger number of potential winners, it's clear now that in women's tennis might is right
as far as winning goes.

However, earlier assertions that women's sport is inferior to men's is demonstrably true. Paula
Radcliffe's recent world marathon record means that women (at least Paula) are now running similar
times to those men were running in the 1960s. Women's football may be the fastest growing team sport
but then, if there were four exponents of nude tiddlywinks and another two joined in, that would be
a 50% increase and probably make it the fastest growing solo sport in the UK.

Personally, I find a lot of women's sport terminally boring not for

of sporting endeavour. Pick almost any women's world champion and there will be hundreds, thousands
or tens of thousands of men who can beat her. This applies not only in power or strength sports but
in skill sports as well.

Cheers, Bruce

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony W wrote:
> > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.
> >
> > When you find yourself in the lady's loo?
> >

> > When you find out that the spammers are right and you do need a 'little help'?
> >
> > :~O
>
> DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! DO NOT FEED THE TRO...
>
> Oops. Too late.

That's a bit harsh ! Tony doesn't sound like a troll to me.

Graham

In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Robbins
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Personally, I find a lot of women's sport terminally boring not for

> of sporting endeavour. Pick almost any women's world champion and there will be hundreds,
> thousands or tens of thousands of men who can beat her. This applies not only in power or strength
> sports but in skill sports as well.

Presumably you meant "IMVHO"?

--
A T (Sandy) Morton Council Member for Area 4 Royal Caledonian Curling Club
http://www.royalcaledoniancurlingclub.org

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:
> > You missed out Rhona and Jackie.

> ...and Ellen MacArthur, who for sheer toughness and determination makes everyone here look like an
> unfit wimp. Mind you, of course, she doesn't compete in 'womens events'. She competes directly
> against the best men in the world at the toughest sport in the world and often beats them.

Agreed and apologies to Ellen.

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message We get enough of male football without
> being subjected to the female version.
I noticed on Saturday though that there were several channels showing at least the second half of
England Turkey Free to Air. As well as Germany Italy etc etc all being there. I wonder how footie
fans fans feel about having to pay for everything All the best Dan Gregory

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:29:53 +0100, Sandy Morton wrote:
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> the toughest sport in the world
>
> Agreed

There are obviously many ways of defining what is the toughest sport in the world. Why do you two
think it is (single-handed) (ocean) sailing? I guess that might be a rarely held opinion in a
cycling newsgroup (.rec., admittedly). I for one would like to define 'tough sports' more in terms
of athletic ability than, for instance, best designed boat, best sailing technique, luckiest with
the weather, can cope with sleep deprivation, likes own company.

"Bruce Robbins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote >
> > Women's sport is competitive and valuable in its own right. Often skill
&
> > guile play a greater part as brute strength is not so readily available.
> >

> Tony,
>
> Women's sport is certainly competitive but so was the five-a-side football match my young son
> played in a couple of weeks ago. Just because something is competitive does not make it
> interesting to a wider audience.
>
> Skill and guile used to play a big part in women's tennis but that was before women were able to
> play using more power. Now that the Williams sisters have come along, I see less skill and guile
> and more thump, thump. Unlike the men's game where power is more evenly matched between opponents
> and there is a larger number of potential winners, it's clear now that in women's tennis might is
> right as far as winning goes.
>
> However, earlier assertions that women's sport is inferior to men's is demonstrably true. Paula
> Radcliffe's recent world marathon record means that women (at least Paula) are now running similar
> times to those men were running in the 1960s. Women's football may be the fastest growing team
> sport but then, if there were four exponents of nude tiddlywinks and another two joined in, that
> would be a 50% increase and probably make it the fastest growing solo sport in the UK.
>
> Personally, I find a lot of women's sport terminally boring not for

> of sporting endeavour. Pick almost any women's world champion and there will be hundreds,
> thousands or tens of thousands of men who can beat her. This applies not only in power or strength
> sports but in skill sports as well.
>
> Cheers, Bruce

Thank-you Bruce, at least I know that I am not alone in the wilderness !

Graham

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:29:53 +0100, Sandy Morton wrote:
> > Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> the toughest sport in the world
> >
> > Agreed
>
> There are obviously many ways of defining what is the toughest sport in the world. Why do you two
> think it is (single-handed) (ocean) sailing? I guess that might be a rarely held opinion in a
> cycling newsgroup (.rec., admittedly). I for one would like to define 'tough sports' more in terms
> of athletic ability than, for instance, best designed boat, best sailing technique, luckiest with
> the weather, can cope with sleep deprivation, likes own company.

So you would like to climb a one hundred foot mast on a 60 foot boat in storm force winds in open
ocean conditions? You name one other athlete in British sport who even _could_ do it, who would have
either the physical strength or the courage, having slept in a nice warm bed the day before, and
with a nice warm shower and a visit to the pub afterwards?

The TdF guys may go at it flat out for twenty-one consecutive days, but they get the nights off, dry
comfortable beds that stay still to sleep in, and teams of mechanics to fix their kit while they
sleep. Ellen (and the rest of the passage racing crowd) race three times as long without a single
hour off, and no-one to help them fix their kit.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony W wrote:
> > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Sometimes I feel really, really embarassed to be male.
> >
> > When you find yourself in the lady's loo?
> >

> > When you find out that the spammers are right and you do need a 'little help'?
> >
> > :~O
>
> DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! DO NOT FEED THE TRO...
>
> Oops. Too late.

LOL

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:35:53 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thank-you Bruce, at least I know that I am not alone in the wilderness !

At least you recognise you are in the wilderness. It's a start.

Colin

"Dan Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message We get enough of male football without
> > being subjected to the female version.
> I noticed on Saturday though that there were several channels showing at least the second half of
> England Turkey Free to Air. As well as Germany Italy etc etc all being there. I wonder how footie
> fans fans feel about having to pay for everything All the best Dan Gregory

In showing the second half they missed the best bit. His "Beckhamness" falling on his **** and
missing a penalty, which wasn't a penalty in the first place !

Graham

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:35:53 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Thank-you Bruce, at least I know that I am not alone in the wilderness !
>
> At least you recognise you are in the wilderness. It's a start.
>
> Colin

Well at least I have have my pride with me. Unlike the growing majority of white, tax paying men in
this country ! When the women and the immigrants have finally cut your b******* off and made you
apologise for your colour,

Graham

Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well at least I have have my pride with me. Unlike the growing majority of white, tax paying men
> in this country ! When the women and the immigrants have finally cut your b******* off and made
> you apologise for your colour,

Plonk!

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all
types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines

"marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1g2tctp.12wo1qc1ak4fh9N%[email protected]...
> Graham <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Well at least I have have my pride with me. Unlike the growing majority
of
> > white, tax paying men in this country ! When the women and the
immigrants
> > have finally cut your b******* off and made you apologise for your
colour,

> Plonk!

Which means whatexactly ?

Graham

> --
> Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all
> types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines
> and dealers.

Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Robbins
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Personally, I find a lot of women's sport terminally boring not for

> > of sporting endeavour. Pick almost any women's world champion and there will be hundreds,
> > thousands or tens of thousands of men who can beat her. This applies not only in power or
> > strength sports but in skill sports as well.
>
> Presumably you meant "IMVHO"?

For the hard of understanding, that's why I put "personally" at the start of the sentence.

Bruce, expressing an opinion no humbler or more worthy than anyone else's but valid nonetheless.