British Eurosport Does it Again

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:10:03 +0000 (UTC), Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

I wrote:
>> I take it you can out-run Paula Radcliffe, out-cycle Nicole Cooke and get up and down a hill as
>> fast as Angel Mudge? No? Well, all three can beat a hell of a lot of men in their sport and I'm
>> happy watching them perform superiorly (is that a word) than many men perform dismally.
>>

> Have you never heard of womens sport ? Do you really think I was comparing me to them ? Compare
> like to like and then give me your answer.

I was. I was comparing all three of those athletes with men.

> If you can drag yourself away from the sink !

The cooker actually. She does the washing up, I do the cooking. Except when we have a change
of course.

Colin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:37:19 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
> The cooker actually. She does the washing up, I do the cooking. Except when we have a change
> of course.

Nugger, where did that come from, I posted it yesterday!

Colin

In article <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:37:19 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The cooker actually. She does the washing up, I do the cooking. Except when we have a change of
>> course.
>
>Nugger, where did that come from, I posted it yesterday!

Well, very interesting as this thread was, all I have to say is that this is a cycling newsgroup and
if someone wants to have a whinge about the way Eurosport handled their coverage of the Worlds Elite
Men's road race, this is the right place to do it. The sort of place where you might expect
like-minded souls to be lurking :)

I looked at the Eurosport text pages and set my video accordingly, even allowing extra at the end.
To then find the race cut off abruptly in its prime ****** me off greatly. I've never known a
football match treated in the same way.
--
Victor Meldrew

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

Well said. Women should be at home doing the ironing and getting my dinner ready for when I get home
off my bike. For goodness sake, they'll want the vote next - silly moos. OSB

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > > Well I do have a problem with it ! We get enough of male football
> without
> > > being subjected to the female version.
> >
> > Women's Football is a very fast growing sport. (For example, it is the fastest growing team
> > sport in the UK). The match shown was the World
Cup
> > Final. Eurosport announced their intentions well in advance. If you
were
> > so minded you should have gone & got your dish before as they clearly indicated their
> > intentions.
> >
> > Sorry, but cycling is a minority interest sport. Eurosport do a pretty
> fair
> > job in covering it -- maybe not as much as you would like but in
> comparison
> > with most other European broadcasters they show a lot of cycling and do appear to be committed
> > to continuing to show cycling.
> >
> > To dismiss a sport because it is the women's version is simple
prejudice.

> It's simply correct, that's what it is. Womens sport is inferior to mens.
>
> Graham
>

> > Are you suggesting that they shouldn't show Nicole Cooke because they
> could
> > be showing men's tiddlywinks? OK, women's football is not yet at the
> skill
> > levels of the men's game but in other sports the women's game is as good
> if
> > not better -- women's tennis, for example, is much more skill and guile
> than
> > the men's version which now largely seems to involve smashing the ball
so
> > hard and fast that the camera cannot resolve it and the receiver (and
> anyone
> > behind the base line)just hopes and prays it will miss him.

I repeat - women should stay at home and do the ironing and washing and bring up the children. It's
modern folk like you who have made the world the mess it is today. And she should get my dinner
ready for when I get off my bike. It had better be warm too and the bath should be run for me. Women
- know your place - ironing board!!

OSB

One Step Beyond wrote:
> Well said. Women should be at home doing the ironing and getting my dinner ready for when I get
> home off my bike. For goodness sake, they'll want the vote next - silly moos.

Neighbours child 6.5 yrs old came home from school on Wednesday and kept looking at his mothers
shoes. When she queried this he blurted out 'Why do women have smaller feet than men' then 'to get
closer to the sink for washing up.' Ah, the innocence of childhood. Mike

The old ones are always the best !!!

AH Leicester

news:[email protected]...