"brittle" vs. non-ductile

> Dear Mike & Chalo,
>
> As a curious sidelight, high-wheeler penny-farthings are so scarce
> nowadays because they became obsolete a few years after the
> introduction of the safety bicycle and most of the the hundreds of
> thousands of idle survivors were then gathered up and turned into
> something more useful in metal drives during the wars.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

In France it appears they round up hundreds of thousands of old bikes and
keep them in storage until July, when they end up attached to overpasses,
trees, houses, you name it, adorned with flowers & crepe paper, all along
the Tour de France route. It's quite amazing, really. My next trip I'm going
to try and make it a point of taking a photo of every such bike on a given
stage. I'm going to have to bring along a very big memory card to do it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> You fail to see the point. CF has lower damage tolerance than Al, steel,
> and Ti.
>
> Mike, ad absurdum arguments rarely, if ever, advances knowledge. Take a
> deep breath and re-read what you've been posted. Since you've already
> admitted that inspection techniques for bike CF frames are inadequate, the
> question you can answer is, tell us what the difference is between
> manufacturers recommendations on how to inspect/deal with damage to CF and
> Al, Ti, and steel.

Are you saying that the only property that matters is not how resistant to
"damage" something is, but how it reacts once damaged?

As there's no universal meaning to "damage tolerance" perhaps you could give
us your definition? That might clear up a few things here.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

On 2007-09-09, Jambo <[email protected]> wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Jambo wrote:

[...]
>> and sikorski sea kings.

> There is NO SUCH thing. There are SIKORSKY Sea Kings, which had METAL
> rotors in the 1960s and 70s, composite rotors in the 80s!

It's actually spelt Сикорский.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see if posting in UTF-8
works or if I still have it set up wrong.

In case I have, you can read about Igor Sikorskij and see how his name
is spelt in Cyrillic here:

http://www.hrono.ru/biograf/sikorski.html

or here:

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Сикорский,_Игорь_Иванович

Sikorski and Sikorsky are both perfectly good transliterations.

"Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In case I have, you can read about Igor Sikorskij and see how his name
> is spelt in Cyrillic here:
>
> http://www.hrono.ru/biograf/sikorski.html
>
> or here:
>
> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Сикорский,_Игорь_Иванович
>
> Sikorski and Sikorsky are both perfectly good transliterations.

Good history lesson, but the company name is spelt Sikorsky. Even when they
were bought by UTC, the company kept its name, Sikorsky with a Y at the end.
Someone with minimal knowledge of the industry will know this.

And to set things straight, proving jb's manufactured resume and lying about
his background:

1973 is when Sikorsky S-70's first successful test flight using an all
composite, bearingless tail rotor. The S-70 became the UH-60 Black Hawk,
which entered service with the US Army in 1978
(http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/black_hawk/).

In July 1976, Kaman (NOT Sikorsky) designs and begins manufacturing the
K-747 blade, the world's first production all-composite rotor blade for the
Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopter. Although the Cobra served in Vietnam, the
composite rotor did not see any service until after the Vietnam War.

So what was the mythical combat service helicopter with the composite rotors
in jb's tall story of his "materials lecture more than 30 years ago", i.e.
1977 and earlier? Let's even say he was off by a few years in his "story" -
what conflict did US Sikorsky helos with composite rotors see between 1976
and 1978?

The story's been made up, as most of his so-called "experiences", to try to
bolster his credentials as a "former metallurgist".

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh, wait, nevermind. It wasn't the material that was the issue, it was how
> it was used. Incredibly dangerous failure modes, yet nobody was calling for
> manufacturers to stop using aluminum, steel or titanium for bike parts.

Nobody is calling for manufacturers to stop using anything.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's the part of this discussion I find so incredible. Catastrophic
> failure modes have been around for as long as manufacturing. Carbon fiber
> didn't invent them. Carbon fiber didn't cause them. Flawed designs &
> manufacturing did. Back in the day, we saw a lot of "catastrophic" failures.
> People have either forgotten about that, or else, because those failures
> were on "tried & true" technology, materials that had been around for some
> time, they were, for some reason, tolerated. Why?

Metals give warning. We can look for and _see_ cracks
in metal frames. A compromised metal frame rides wonky.
I have experienced it myself. Looked, and behold! a
crack in the frame. Catastrophic failure is failure
that gives no warning. Catastrophic failure is _not_
failure that gives warning that is then ignored by the
rider.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2007-09-09, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> ><[email protected]>,
> > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> But you suspect there's more to it than that, and there is. People don't buy
> >> much of anything expecting it to last forever, and it's normal for people to
> >> expect that many expensive items (TVs, for example) aren't to be repaired
> >> but simply tossed out and replaced if something goes wrong. That sort of
> >> thinking determines what's made available to people. And as long as people
> >> are willing to accept it, the product engineers are going to work within
> >> those parameters when they design something. If they have the choice of
> >> designing something that will weigh 1/2 pound more but be repairable, vs
> >> lighter and disposable if it breaks, they're going to go for lighter.

> > I works both ways. It is easier and cheaper to built a
> > monolithic unrepairable TV with a built in failure rate
> > than to build a TV that is good, and good twenty years
> > later. I have one of the last good Sony televisions.
> > Had a problem and found a guy to repair it. Two
> > components on a solder board. He said Sony televisions
> > today have bad color, bad picture, and will not stay in
> > adjustment.

> Just get an LCD TV (made by Sony if you like).

LCD televisions have crappy off axis pictures.

> You will wonder why you spent so many years staring down a glass tube
> at an electron gun.

Colorful, just like my television.

> > My tv has a magnificent picture that has
> > not drifted in over a decade.
> >
> > If the manufacturers only build monolithic TV's people
> > will only buy monolithic TV's.

> The important variable for many consumers including myself is ultimate
> reliability. I would trade repairability for that any day, which is why
> I don't sympathize with people who whine about wanting their SU carbs
> back.

You say they are reliable, and maybe they are. And maybe it will
fail in five or seven years.

> TVs are getting less reliable these days because they run so much
> software, which is of course full of bugs.

That convinces me! I will go out and buy one right away!

Just put a routine in the software to shut down the TV in five years.
There is planned obsolescence for you.

> Bikes are different because I don't know if frames are any more reliable
> now than they ever were for being less repairable. But similar
> economics: a new cheap aluminium frame probably costs less than paying
> someone to braze your PX-10 back together. Unless you live near Yellow
> Jersey Cycles.

I will pay to fix my frame because nobody builds this
frame's dimensions anymore, and I find them to be an
excellent balance of frame trade-offs, not because it
has a cachet. The only alternative to fixing is a
custom frame. If the frame geometry were available I
would replace rather than fix.

--
Michael Press

On 2007-09-09, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
><[email protected]>,
> Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>> Just get an LCD TV (made by Sony if you like).

> LCD televisions have crappy off axis pictures.

It's true the picture is poor if your viewing angle is not close to
normal to the screen.

But if your direct line of view doesn't intersect the screen, CRTs are
worse because you can see them flickering visibly in a way that can be
quite distressing.

You probably know why that is since I remember you explaining rhodopsin
and things a while back. I think it may be a difference in the
persistence of vision duration between rods and cones.

[...]
>> TVs are getting less reliable these days because they run so much
>> software, which is of course full of bugs.

> That convinces me! I will go out and buy one right away!

You have me busted for logical fallacy.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> bikes.
> >>
> >> Oh, darn. All those failing aluminum stems... ****. That's quite a
> >> few thousand dollars of inventory I'm going to have to dump. And
> >> the failed Belleri handlebars. ****. That's going to be many
> >> thousands of dollars more of inventory I can't trust.

> > Like this tem owned by a friend, who discovered this condition the
> > day after a 104 mile ride we undertook on hilly road including
> > gravel and rough pavement?
> >
> > http://www2.bitstream.net/~timmcn/stemphotos/stem_right.png
> >
> > How would a CF stem have fared with cracking like this?

> It doesn't matter whether a carbon fiber stem would have survived
> with a crack like that; the relevant question is whether it would
> have developed that crack.

Nope. Stuff breaks. The world is not optimal. How does a material
deal with those facts? Does it fail catastrophically or gradually? The
photographs show a gradual failure.

> >> Oh, darn. All those steel frames that buckled under impact,
> >> causing the front wheel to make contact with the downtube and
> >> throwing the rider violently. ****. We can't use steel for frames
> >> anymore.
> >>
> >> Oh, darn. All those titanium frames that had sheared downtubes,
> >> due to cracks beginning at the downtube cable guides. ****.
> >>
> >> Oh, wait, nevermind. It wasn't the material that was the issue, it
> >> was how it was used. Incredibly dangerous failure modes, yet
> >> nobody was calling for manufacturers to stop using aluminum, steel
> >> or titanium for bike parts.

> > As hyperbole goes, this doesn't work very well. The failure mode
> > for these materials is rarely catastrophic unlike CF and is thus
> > not "incredibly" dangerous.

> That's the part of this discussion I find so incredible. Catastrophic
> failure modes have been around for as long as manufacturing. Carbon
> fiber didn't invent them. Carbon fiber didn't cause them. Flawed
> designs & manufacturing did. Back in the day, we saw a lot of
> "catastrophic" failures. People have either forgotten about that, or
> else, because those failures were on "tried & true" technology,
> materials that had been around for some time, they were, for some
> reason, tolerated. Why?

Previous materials with widespread use have not had the catastrophic
failure issues prevalent in CF composites. When CF fails, it tends to
fail right now, boom. Other materials have not shown that tendency.
The exception has been failed welds, particularly in titanium and
aluminum. That is less about materials properties than about faulty
manufacturing processes.

Let's defined catastrophic failure: the component breaks into two or
more discrete pieces nearly instantaneously. This is typical of brittle
materials (glass, for example) and not typical of metallic materials
commonly used in bicycles

> There is obviously something appealing about taking on the latest
> technology and putting it down.

New materials have different properties that might be beneficial and
different properties that might be detrimental. We have seen the
"latest technology" repeatedly prove to be unsuitable for the
applications for which it was marketed. There is legitimate question
about the suitability of CF composites for use in bicycles. The issues
raised here are those mirrored in the materials literature and mirrored
in the published statements of manufacturers that use this material-
including Trek and Calfee.

> It becomes a fun game, apparently, to see someone post a picture of a
> failed frame on the Internet and, without ANY corroboration of the
> JRA (Just Riding Along) story, extrapolate wildly from it.

I have, along with others, tried very hard to avoid extrapolating about
that specific frame because we don't have enough information about the
crash or the condition of the frame before the crash.

> The smartest person I know in the "warranty" department (which I put
> in quotes because most of what he deals with isn't actually a
> "warranty"), when presented a failure that might be questionable,
> always ask one simple question. "What do you think *really*
> happened?" It gets you to thinking a bit outside the oral or written
> history actually presented. And sometimes you get a customer with a
> "JRA" and you ask him (almost always a "him" by the way) "What do you
> think really happened" and, hold down the fort, they will actually
> tell you. Bizarre yet true. They come in claiming it's a JRA, but you
> ask for details and yikes, it's something entirely different.

Yup. And since not JRA is normal use of bicycles, that raises
significant concerns about the toughness and damage resistance of the
materials used in critical components of bicycles. There are some that
can easily get you severely injured, disabled or killed if they fail
catastrophically.

> > The problem with steel frame in your example was the impact- a CF
> > frame would have shattered rather than bending. The problem with
> > the titanium frames didn't result in the downtube just snapping.

> You're making an assumption that is rarely correct. Modern carbon
> frames & forks will, I will claim, generally "survive" a head-on
> impact more readily than the steel frames of yesteryear. They will
> not survive as readily an impact from the side. These claims come
> from observations over many years, many product lines, many
> customers, many impacts.

Please define "survive."

> And the titanium frame that you didn't think resulted in a downtube
> snapping? Think again. I was there. Time between first hearing
> something and failure was about 3 miles. We obviously aborted the
> ride after hearing a strange noise and running it down (a very small
> tear on the downtube), and decided to ride back to where he'd parked
> his car, 6 relatively-flat miles away. After three miles the tube had
> torn through and I had to go get my car. The failure was definitely
> catastrophic, although since we were keeping an eye on it there was
> no injury, no crash. If we hadn't figured out what the noise was
> coming from, it could have been otherwise.

The rider had advanced warning and had a non-catastrophic failure.
Catastrophic does not mean that the tube broke. Catastrophic failure is
nearly instantaneous.

> If we want to get personal, I did the carbon bike into car gig
> myself. 16mph into the side of a Mustang some kid backed out of his
> driveway onto the road. My teeth fared much worse than my bike.

Unfortunately your carbon frame is not readily inspectable for damage.
I hope that is in in fact undamaged.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2007-09-09, Jambo <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Jambo wrote:

> [...]
> >> and sikorski sea kings.

> > There is NO SUCH thing. There are SIKORSKY Sea Kings, which had METAL
> > rotors in the 1960s and 70s, composite rotors in the 80s!

> It's actually spelt Сикорский.
>
> Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see if posting in UTF-8
> works or if I still have it set up wrong.
>
> In case I have, you can read about Igor Sikorskij and see how his name
> is spelt in Cyrillic here:
>
> http://www.hrono.ru/biograf/sikorski.html
>
> or here:
>
> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Сикорский,_Игорь_Иванович
>
> Sikorski and Sikorsky are both perfectly good transliterations.

The corporation does business under the name Sikorsky.
"Sikorsky" is spelled ess eye kay oh are ess kay why.
That is the spelling. Other spellings are incorrect.

--
Michael Press

> Let's defined catastrophic failure: the component breaks into two or
> more discrete pieces nearly instantaneously. This is typical of brittle
> materials (glass, for example) and not typical of metallic materials
> commonly used in bicycles

That would have been my Mavic stem (looked to have been made by 3TTT).
Absolutely zero warning. No noise, no looseness. A real-life JRA. Well, OK,
I was sprinting when it happened. A aluminum, forged quill stem, single
bolt, not hinged. The section of stem that the handlebar-claming bolt
threaded into gave way. No, the threads didn't strip, the entire section
pulled away from the rest of the stem. Quite the rude thing to happen.

Points to consider- Aluminum. No prior warning. Catastrophic failure.

>> And the titanium frame that you didn't think resulted in a downtube
>> snapping? Think again. I was there. Time between first hearing
>> something and failure was about 3 miles. We obviously aborted the
>> ride after hearing a strange noise and running it down (a very small
>> tear on the downtube), and decided to ride back to where he'd parked
>> his car, 6 relatively-flat miles away. After three miles the tube had
>> torn through and I had to go get my car. The failure was definitely
>> catastrophic, although since we were keeping an eye on it there was
>> no injury, no crash. If we hadn't figured out what the noise was
>> coming from, it could have been otherwise.

> The rider had advanced warning and had a non-catastrophic failure.
> Catastrophic does not mean that the tube broke. Catastrophic failure is
> nearly instantaneous.

Had he been descending instead of riding on a level, smooth road, there is
every likelihood the noise would not have been noticed above normal road &
wind noise levels, and the failure would have been quite catastrophic.

>> If we want to get personal, I did the carbon bike into car gig
>> myself. 16mph into the side of a Mustang some kid backed out of his
>> driveway onto the road. My teeth fared much worse than my bike.

> Unfortunately your carbon frame is not readily inspectable for damage.
> I hope that is in in fact undamaged.

The impact was in 2000; the frame remains in continuous use since then. The
fork was replaced, due to a damaged steer column. It would have been replace
anyway, since it would have failed the "common sense" test (being that
nothing could have been designed to withstand that sort of impact, and thus
it cannot be trusted). The frame might have failed the "common sense" test
as well, except that I have yet to see, among the many (and I do mean many)
thousands of carbon fiber frames that I have sold, a catastrophic failure
that happened after an initial incident, and without warning. Please do not
take this to mean a frame is safe after a crash. Rather, for my sample size,
I see issues with forks, but not frames (dealing strictly with those that I
have sold, which is admittedly a base of only one manufacturer).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [...]

>> coming from, it could have been otherwise.

> The rider had advanced warning and had a non-catastrophic failure.
> Catastrophic does not mean that the tube broke. Catastrophic failure is
> nearly instantaneous.
>
>> If we want to get personal, I did the carbon bike into car gig
>> myself. 16mph into the side of a Mustang some kid backed out of his
>> driveway onto the road. My teeth fared much worse than my bike.

> Unfortunately your carbon frame is not readily inspectable for damage.
> I hope that is in in fact undamaged.

>> Oh, wait, nevermind. It wasn't the material that was the issue, it was
>> how
>> it was used. Incredibly dangerous failure modes, yet nobody was calling
>> for
>> manufacturers to stop using aluminum, steel or titanium for bike parts.

> Nobody is calling for manufacturers to stop using anything.

Perhaps not. Could you sum up what is being suggested? It certainly appears
that there are several posters who are saying that carbon fiber is not
appropriate for critical (parts that, if they fail, could cause serious
injury or death) bicycle parts.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Oh, wait, nevermind. It wasn't the material that was the issue, it was
>> how
>> it was used. Incredibly dangerous failure modes, yet nobody was calling
>> for
>> manufacturers to stop using aluminum, steel or titanium for bike parts.

> Nobody is calling for manufacturers to stop using anything.
>
> --
> Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Oh, wait, nevermind. It wasn't the material that was the issue, it
> >> was how it was used. Incredibly dangerous failure modes, yet
> >> nobody was calling for manufacturers to stop using aluminum, steel
> >> or titanium for bike parts.

> > Nobody is calling for manufacturers to stop using anything.

> Perhaps not. Could you sum up what is being suggested? It certainly
> appears that there are several posters who are saying that carbon
> fiber is not appropriate for critical (parts that, if they fail,
> could cause serious injury or death) bicycle parts.

That is exactly what I am saying. I won't presume to speak for anyone
else. Could CF be made suitable through the use of different resins?
Different layup schedules? More layers? I don't know and will leave
that to people who do.

As for whether manufacturers should stop using it, that of course is up
to them. I will not buy a CF frame, fork, seatpost, stem or handlebar
for the reasons I have previously cited which are supported by
literature previously referenced. I don't make that decision for anyone
else. They may want to buy the things, and given the number of CF bikes
I see around here the market seems to be ample. For my uses, CF offers
no significant benefits over other materials and poses significant
drawbacks.

Ben C wrote:
> It's actually spelt Сикорский.
> Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see if posting in UTF-8
> works or if I still have it set up wrong.
> In case I have, you can read about Igor Sikorskij and see how his name
> is spelt in Cyrillic here:
> http://www.hrono.ru/biograf/sikorski.html
> or here:
> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Сикорский,_Игорь_Иванович
> Sikorski and Sikorsky are both perfectly good transliterations.

For a Cyrillic based proper name, sure.
Not for the registered corporation.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

>> > Nobody is calling for manufacturers to stop using anything.
>>
>> Perhaps not. Could you sum up what is being suggested? It certainly
>> appears that there are several posters who are saying that carbon
>> fiber is not appropriate for critical (parts that, if they fail,
>> could cause serious injury or death) bicycle parts.

> That is exactly what I am saying. I won't presume to speak for anyone
> else. Could CF be made suitable through the use of different resins?
> Different layup schedules? More layers? I don't know and will leave
> that to people who do.
>
> As for whether manufacturers should stop using it, that of course is up
> to them. I will not buy a CF frame, fork, seatpost, stem or handlebar
> for the reasons I have previously cited which are supported by
> literature previously referenced. I don't make that decision for anyone
> else. They may want to buy the things, and given the number of CF bikes
> I see around here the market seems to be ample. For my uses, CF offers
> no significant benefits over other materials and poses significant
> drawbacks.

Tim: Thanks. I thought I was missing the point, going nuts, or a combination
of the two! Symptoms for which the obvious cure could only be removal of
carbon fiber from my diet. :>)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > Nobody is calling for manufacturers to stop using anything.

>> Perhaps not. Could you sum up what is being suggested? It certainly
>> appears that there are several posters who are saying that carbon
>> fiber is not appropriate for critical (parts that, if they fail,
>> could cause serious injury or death) bicycle parts.

> That is exactly what I am saying. I won't presume to speak for anyone
> else. Could CF be made suitable through the use of different resins?
> Different layup schedules? More layers? I don't know and will leave
> that to people who do.
>
> As for whether manufacturers should stop using it, that of course is up
> to them. I will not buy a CF frame, fork, seatpost, stem or handlebar
> for the reasons I have previously cited which are supported by
> literature previously referenced. I don't make that decision for anyone
> else. They may want to buy the things, and given the number of CF bikes
> I see around here the market seems to be ample. For my uses, CF offers
> no significant benefits over other materials and poses significant
> drawbacks.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Let's defined catastrophic failure: the component breaks into two or
> > more discrete pieces nearly instantaneously. This is typical of brittle
> > materials (glass, for example) and not typical of metallic materials
> > commonly used in bicycles

> That would have been my Mavic stem (looked to have been made by 3TTT).
> Absolutely zero warning. No noise, no looseness. A real-life JRA. Well, OK,
> I was sprinting when it happened. A aluminum, forged quill stem, single
> bolt, not hinged. The section of stem that the handlebar-claming bolt
> threaded into gave way. No, the threads didn't strip, the entire section
> pulled away from the rest of the stem. Quite the rude thing to happen.
>
> Points to consider- Aluminum. No prior warning. Catastrophic failure.

You did not say that you examined the fracture for corrosion,
corrosion that means it had been separating over time.

(Your replies are not prefaced with attribution information.
Would you look into that?)

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Oh, wait, nevermind. It wasn't the material that was the issue, it was
> >> how
> >> it was used. Incredibly dangerous failure modes, yet nobody was calling
> >> for
> >> manufacturers to stop using aluminum, steel or titanium for bike parts.

> > Nobody is calling for manufacturers to stop using anything.

> Perhaps not. Could you sum up what is being suggested? It certainly appears
> that there are several posters who are saying that carbon fiber is not
> appropriate for critical (parts that, if they fail, could cause serious
> injury or death) bicycle parts.

Carbon fiber composite structures are easily damaged
when struck on the surface. The strike can cause
delamination and broken fibers. The damage can be
invisible. The compromised structure will deteriorate
and fail without warning. Warning is when the structure
starts to behave differently such as wallowing while
steering can indicate a compromised head tube joint in
a metal frame.

Personally, I think manufacturers can eventually figure
out how to make frames from carbon fiber composite that
will resist direct strike damage. Or perhaps they could
put an indicater layer that would signal a no go
condition. I do not see how they can deal with the
brittle fracture dynamics of carbon fiber composites. I
think they may know more than they say, but essentially
cannot say it. I do not think the manufacturers are
evil.

--
Michael Press

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately your carbon frame is not readily inspectable for damage.
> > I hope that is in in fact undamaged.

> The impact was in 2000; the frame remains in continuous use since then. The
> fork was replaced, due to a damaged steer column. It would have been replace
> anyway, since it would have failed the "common sense" test (being that
> nothing could have been designed to withstand that sort of impact, and thus
> it cannot be trusted). The frame might have failed the "common sense" test
> as well, except that I have yet to see, among the many (and I do mean many)
> thousands of carbon fiber frames that I have sold, a catastrophic failure
> that happened after an initial incident, and without warning. Please do not
> take this to mean a frame is safe after a crash. Rather, for my sample size,
> I see issues with forks, but not frames (dealing strictly with those that I
> have sold, which is admittedly a base of only one manufacturer).

In my observation, the group of people who ride CFRP bikes is very
self-selecting. They are, by and large, folks who:

- weigh close to the population median, or less

- have more money to spend than time to ride

- don't lock their bikes up in public racks

- don't store their bikes inside

- are conscious of their appearance and go to lengths to keep their
bikes clean and unscratched

- ride on Sunday on roads that don't go anywhere

- etc.

I have spent most of my adult life using my bike as regular
transportation. I see vanishingly few CFRP bikes in the course of my
riding around town, though I see lots and lots of other bikes. The
times I see lots of carbon bikes are when I get out relatively early
on weekend mornings and happen to ride on relatively untrafficked
roads on the perimeter of the city. At those times I see clumps of
people in stretchy clown suits riding on plastic bikes.

At those times, I have never noticed them doing any of the sort of
things that cause veteran commuter bikes to become dinged up and
stripped of sections of their decals and paint. I have never seem
them doing the sorts of things that made my Seattle bike messenger
friends wrap their bikes' frame tubes with tape and fit them with top
tube pads. I don't even see them doing the transportational sorts of
things that they might do in their cars.

I only see these folks doing what I've seen from groups of guys
driving Morgans or riding Panhead Harleys together-- wandering around
for the sake of wandering around, and for the purpose of showing off
their pampered shiny machines to each other and a bunch of other folks
who don't care. And I can't help but suspect that just like Morgans
and Panhead Harleys, CFRP bikes would be unreliable at best if used
regularly for most practical vehicular purposes. I could be wrong,
but the almost complete absence of CFRP bikes on the mean streets has
got to demonstrate _something_. I think that part of what it
demonstrates is a short half-life in the real world.

Chalo

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> That would have been my Mavic stem (looked to have been made by 3TTT).
> Absolutely zero warning. No noise, no looseness. A real-life JRA. Well, OK,
> I was sprinting when it happened. A aluminum, forged quill stem, single
> bolt, not hinged. The section of stem that the handlebar-claming bolt
> threaded into gave way. No, the threads didn't strip, the entire section
> pulled away from the rest of the stem. Quite the rude thing to happen.
> Points to consider- Aluminum. No prior warning. Catastrophic failure.

I haven't been much involved in this thread for many reasons but if you
think French stems are scary, what about all the aluminum Pivo bars
which snapped right next to the stem? After observing many iterations
of frame and equipment failures, I can match examples - and
counterexamples- with anyone.

Mike has a good point - "sudden catastrophic failure" anecdotes abound
in all materials. Here on r.b.t., though, we haven't made the leap from
anecdote to data or a unified theory yet. Neither 'carbon good' nor
'carbon bad' have convinced me.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> You did not say that you examined the fracture for corrosion,
> corrosion that means it had been separating over time.

Obviously, nothing was noticed, prior to the failure. Which, of course, is
the point. It was entirely unexpected. But to answer the question, no, no
corrosion, it was a poor forging.

> (Your replies are not prefaced with attribution information.
> Would you look into that?)

Didn't I include the entire prior post intact at the bottom of my reply? I'm
not sure what you're saying.