broccoli recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sf, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. sf

    sf Guest

    Lidia's Newsletter - October 2005

    This way of cooking broccoli opens a whole new world of flavors to one
    of the most available vegetables.

    SKILLET COOKED BROCCOLI
    Serves 6

    1-1/2 to 2 pounds fresh broccoli on the stem
    4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 tablespoons sliced garlic (about 6 plump cloves)
    1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    1/4 teaspoon peperoncino
    1/2 cup water

    For Serving
    1/2 cup or more Creamy Garlic Sauce

    Recommended equipment:

    A 12 or 14-inch skillet or sauté pan with a cover

    Rinse and drain the broccoli head and cut apart all the main branches
    where they join or are attached to a central stem. Separate the
    clusters into medium size florets, 2 to 3 inches wide at the top. If
    they are wider, slice them lengthwise. Cut their long stems so the
    florets are about 4-inches long.

    Peel the tough skin from the stem pieces and slice them lengthwise in
    half or in quarters if they are thick. You can also peel or slice off
    the tough fibrous layer of the large branches and central stems and
    slice up the fresh core into 4-inch sticks. Discard all dry and hard
    pieces.

    Set the skillet over moderate heat, pour in the oil and strew in the
    garlic. Cook the slices for about 5 minutes, with an occasional shake.
    When they’re lightly caramelized, dump the broccoli pieces into the
    skillet, sprinkle the salt and peperoncino all around and pour in the
    water.

    Cover the pan, raise the heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes, shaking
    the pan a couple of times. Lift the cover and toss everything very
    well then cover again.

    Let the broccoli cook another 3 to 5 minutes, and poke or taste a
    piece to check the tenderness. Cook longer, covered, if you want it
    softer. Remove from the heat and uncover the pan as soon as the
    broccoli is cooked through and still brightly colored.

    Serve right away, in a pool of Creamy Garlic Sauce.

    Creamy Garlic Sauce

    It may scare some of you, but garlic lovers will be excited about
    transforming one whole cup of raw garlic cloves into one cup of creamy
    garlic sauce. But don’t be intimidated: this simple reduction of
    garlic in a pan of milk creates a sauce that is surprisingly
    mild—though unmistakably garlicky. And if the whole cup idea seems too
    extreme for you, despite my assurance, by all means make this with
    just a half cup of cloves.

    At full or half strength, this is delicious with all sorts of
    vegetables—use it warm with hot vegetables and cold with crudités.

    Tags:

  2. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:
    >Lidia's Newsletter - October 2005
    >
    >This way of cooking broccoli opens a whole new world of flavors to one
    >of the most available vegetables.
    >
    >SKILLET COOKED BROCCOLI
    >Serves 6

    [Snipped broccoli recipe.]

    >Serve right away, in a pool of Creamy Garlic Sauce.
    >
    >Creamy Garlic Sauce
    >
    >It may scare some of you, but garlic lovers will be excited about
    >transforming one whole cup of raw garlic cloves into one cup of creamy
    >garlic sauce. But don’t be intimidated: this simple reduction of
    >garlic in a pan of milk creates a sauce that is surprisingly
    >mild—though unmistakably garlicky. And if the whole cup idea seems too
    >extreme for you, despite my assurance, by all means make this with
    >just a half cup of cloves.
    >
    >At full or half strength, this is delicious with all sorts of
    >vegetables—use it warm with hot vegetables and cold with crudités.

    Okay. So what's the recipe for your version of CGS? Google turns up
    a number of options; but none I checked had anything like a cup of
    garlic for a cup of sauce! (And they all had assorted gunk added
    apart from garlic and "a pan of milk". :)

    So... If it's not a family secret, let's have more details of your
    brew, please. Thank you.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  3. Phred wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:
    > >Lidia's Newsletter - October 2005
    > >
    > >This way of cooking broccoli opens a whole new world of flavors to

    > one
    > >of the most available vegetables.
    > >
    > >SKILLET COOKED BROCCOLI
    > >Serves 6

    > [Snipped broccoli recipe.]
    >
    > >Serve right away, in a pool of Creamy Garlic Sauce.
    > >
    > >Creamy Garlic Sauce
    > >
    > >It may scare some of you, but garlic lovers will be excited about
    > >transforming one whole cup of raw garlic cloves into one cup of

    > creamy
    > >garlic sauce. But don’t be intimidated: this simple reduction of
    > >garlic in a pan of milk creates a sauce that is surprisingly
    > >mild—though unmistakably garlicky. And if the whole cup idea seems

    > too
    > >extreme for you, despite my assurance, by all means make this with
    > >just a half cup of cloves.
    > >
    > >At full or half strength, this is delicious with all sorts of
    > >vegetables—use it warm with hot vegetables and cold with crudités.

    > Okay. So what's the recipe for your version of CGS? Google turns up
    > a number of options; but none I checked had anything like a cup of
    > garlic for a cup of sauce! (And they all had assorted gunk added
    > apart from garlic and "a pan of milk". :)
    >
    > So... If it's not a family secret, let's have more details of your
    > brew, please. Thank you.
    >
    > Cheers, Phred.

    I am curious also, i am a garlicophyle and often add several cloves of
    mashed garlick to 1 cup of half & half with a 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
    cheese for a sauce. But even for me, a garlic lover 1 cup of garlic
    would probly be enough for a gallon of sauce. Even a cup of simple
    white sauce of roux and milk i would only use 1 or 2 cloves of raw
    garlic, more if it were roasted garlic. And dont even get me started on
    garlic ice cream.
    ----
    JL

    > --
    > [email protected]LID

  4. Steve YATES

    Steve YATES Guest

    Am dying to see the recipe

    Steve

    PS Am about to buy a deep fat fryer so as to try the Deep Fried Garlic
    recipe from "Roast Chicken and Other stories"