broccoli recipe

sf

Guest
Lidia's Newsletter - October 2005

This way of cooking broccoli opens a whole new world of flavors to one
of the most available vegetables.

SKILLET COOKED BROCCOLI
Serves 6

1-1/2 to 2 pounds fresh broccoli on the stem
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons sliced garlic (about 6 plump cloves)
1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon peperoncino
1/2 cup water

For Serving
1/2 cup or more Creamy Garlic Sauce

Recommended equipment:

A 12 or 14-inch skillet or sauté pan with a cover

Rinse and drain the broccoli head and cut apart all the main branches
where they join or are attached to a central stem. Separate the
clusters into medium size florets, 2 to 3 inches wide at the top. If
they are wider, slice them lengthwise. Cut their long stems so the
florets are about 4-inches long.

Peel the tough skin from the stem pieces and slice them lengthwise in
half or in quarters if they are thick. You can also peel or slice off
the tough fibrous layer of the large branches and central stems and
slice up the fresh core into 4-inch sticks. Discard all dry and hard
pieces.

Set the skillet over moderate heat, pour in the oil and strew in the
garlic. Cook the slices for about 5 minutes, with an occasional shake.
When they’re lightly caramelized, dump the broccoli pieces into the
skillet, sprinkle the salt and peperoncino all around and pour in the
water.

Cover the pan, raise the heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes, shaking
the pan a couple of times. Lift the cover and toss everything very
well then cover again.

Let the broccoli cook another 3 to 5 minutes, and poke or taste a
piece to check the tenderness. Cook longer, covered, if you want it
softer. Remove from the heat and uncover the pan as soon as the
broccoli is cooked through and still brightly colored.

Serve right away, in a pool of Creamy Garlic Sauce.

Creamy Garlic Sauce

It may scare some of you, but garlic lovers will be excited about
transforming one whole cup of raw garlic cloves into one cup of creamy
garlic sauce. But don’t be intimidated: this simple reduction of
garlic in a pan of milk creates a sauce that is surprisingly
mild—though unmistakably garlicky. And if the whole cup idea seems too
extreme for you, despite my assurance, by all means make this with
just a half cup of cloves.

At full or half strength, this is delicious with all sorts of
vegetables—use it warm with hot vegetables and cold with crudités.

In article <[email protected]>,
sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:
>Lidia's Newsletter - October 2005
>
>This way of cooking broccoli opens a whole new world of flavors to one
>of the most available vegetables.
>
>SKILLET COOKED BROCCOLI
>Serves 6

[Snipped broccoli recipe.]

>Serve right away, in a pool of Creamy Garlic Sauce.
>
>Creamy Garlic Sauce
>
>It may scare some of you, but garlic lovers will be excited about
>transforming one whole cup of raw garlic cloves into one cup of creamy
>garlic sauce. But don’t be intimidated: this simple reduction of
>garlic in a pan of milk creates a sauce that is surprisingly
>mild—though unmistakably garlicky. And if the whole cup idea seems too
>extreme for you, despite my assurance, by all means make this with
>just a half cup of cloves.
>
>At full or half strength, this is delicious with all sorts of
>vegetables—use it warm with hot vegetables and cold with crudités.

Okay. So what's the recipe for your version of CGS? Google turns up
a number of options; but none I checked had anything like a cup of
garlic for a cup of sauce! (And they all had assorted gunk added
apart from garlic and "a pan of milk". :)

So... If it's not a family secret, let's have more details of your
brew, please. Thank you.

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID

Phred wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:
> >Lidia's Newsletter - October 2005
> >
> >This way of cooking broccoli opens a whole new world of flavors to

> one
> >of the most available vegetables.
> >
> >SKILLET COOKED BROCCOLI
> >Serves 6

> [Snipped broccoli recipe.]
>
> >Serve right away, in a pool of Creamy Garlic Sauce.
> >
> >Creamy Garlic Sauce
> >
> >It may scare some of you, but garlic lovers will be excited about
> >transforming one whole cup of raw garlic cloves into one cup of

> creamy
> >garlic sauce. But don’t be intimidated: this simple reduction of
> >garlic in a pan of milk creates a sauce that is surprisingly
> >mild—though unmistakably garlicky. And if the whole cup idea seems

> too
> >extreme for you, despite my assurance, by all means make this with
> >just a half cup of cloves.
> >
> >At full or half strength, this is delicious with all sorts of
> >vegetables—use it warm with hot vegetables and cold with crudités.

> Okay. So what's the recipe for your version of CGS? Google turns up
> a number of options; but none I checked had anything like a cup of
> garlic for a cup of sauce! (And they all had assorted gunk added
> apart from garlic and "a pan of milk". :)
>
> So... If it's not a family secret, let's have more details of your
> brew, please. Thank you.
>
> Cheers, Phred.

I am curious also, i am a garlicophyle and often add several cloves of
mashed garlick to 1 cup of half & half with a 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
cheese for a sauce. But even for me, a garlic lover 1 cup of garlic
would probly be enough for a gallon of sauce. Even a cup of simple
white sauce of roux and milk i would only use 1 or 2 cloves of raw
garlic, more if it were roasted garlic. And dont even get me started on
garlic ice cream.
----
JL

> --
> [email protected]LID

Am dying to see the recipe

Steve

PS Am about to buy a deep fat fryer so as to try the Deep Fried Garlic
recipe from "Roast Chicken and Other stories"