General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Broiling Round Steak in a Toaster Oven?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,636 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 May 2005
Last activity
8 June 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,636
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am a college student who happens to broil round steak on a regular
    basis in a normal oven. Of course, I have to marinade the steak for
    about 24 hours to tenderize it, but it actually doesn't taste half bad
    and it's a lot cheaper than the more tender cuts. In either case, I
    have recently, for a variety of reasons, decided to consider broiling
    round steak in a toaster oven rather than in my regular oven, and I was
    wondering how well this would work. I know a toaster oven does have a
    broil setting, but would it truly be hot enough to cook a relatively
    tough round steak? Would it cook it evenly at all?

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Swann

  2. [email hidden] wrote in news:1116837726.317681.284170
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I am a college student who happens to broil round steak on a regular
    basis in a normal oven. Of course, I have to marinade the steak for
    about 24 hours to tenderize it, but it actually doesn't taste half bad
    and it's a lot cheaper than the more tender cuts. In either case, I
    have recently, for a variety of reasons, decided to consider broiling
    round steak in a toaster oven rather than in my regular oven, and I was
    wondering how well this would work. I know a toaster oven does have a
    broil setting, but would it truly be hot enough to cook a relatively
    tough round steak? Would it cook it evenly at all?

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Swann

    Swann,

    I have a small toaster/convection oven. I've had great results cooking
    sirloin tri-tip roasts (2" thick) using convection heat. Cooking time is
    relatively short (approx 40 minutes) at 400 degrees. The roast plumps up
    nicely, browns beautifully and tastes wonderful, like it should.

    Andy

  3. Andy said:

    [email hidden] wrote in news:1116837726.317681.284170
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I am a college student who happens to broil round steak on a


    regular

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    basis in a normal oven. Of course, I have to marinade the steak


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about 24 hours to tenderize it, but it actually doesn't taste half


    bad

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and it's a lot cheaper than the more tender cuts. In either case,


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have recently, for a variety of reasons, decided to consider


    broiling

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    round steak in a toaster oven rather than in my regular oven, and I


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    wondering how well this would work. I know a toaster oven does


    have a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    broil setting, but would it truly be hot enough to cook a


    relatively

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    tough round steak? Would it cook it evenly at all?

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Swann

    Swann,

    I have a small toaster/convection oven. I've had great results


    cooking

    Quoted message said:

    sirloin tri-tip roasts (2" thick) using convection heat. Cooking time


    is

    Quoted message said:

    relatively short (approx 40 minutes) at 400 degrees. The roast plumps


    up

    Quoted message said:

    nicely, browns beautifully and tastes wonderful, like it should.

    Andy

    But that wasn't the question.

    The poster asked if they could BROIL a round steak in a toaster oven.
    No mention of Convection, which would seriously impact the timing of
    the cooking process. Not to mention, you're talking about a tri-tip
    "roast", which is usually twice as thick as the typical round steak
    would be.

    In answer to the original question: Yes, you can broil a round steak in
    a toaster oven. Round steak is typically pretty lean to begin with,
    but you will want to trim as much visible fat from it as possible,
    though, because the close proximity of the meat to the heating element
    could cause a flare up.

    Don't expect well-done, though. (No more than Medium is probably a
    good idea with round steak, anyway). The elements are pretty close to
    the meat and it would probably scorch before it got well-done
    throughout. Of course, that would depend on your toaster oven.

    For an inch thick steak, I would start with 5 minutes on side one
    (rotate it 180 degrees to assure even browning) and 3-4 minutes on side
    two. Adjust as needed until desired doneness. (By rotate it, I mean,
    leave it on side one, but turn it so what was the left side of the meat
    is now on the right, and vice versa.)

    Good luck.
    By the way, just fyi, there is another cut available in my markets that
    is also sold as "London Broil" (which is usually how Round Steak is
    labeled here) that is from the front half of the cow, rather than the
    back, and I find it's more tender and has more flavor, for what it's
    worth. It's called either "chuck steak" or "Shoulder steak" for "London
    Broil" and I have found it to be superior to Round steak, and is around
    the same price. (on sale, $1.69-2.49 per pound. Regular $3.49-4.29 per
    pound)

    My favorite marinade for this cut is as follows:
    1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    tons of garlic
    salt and pepper
    ground celery seed
    Tablespoon of worcestershire or steak sauce
    3 tablespoons of vegetable (olive, corn, whatever is handy)
    A good spice rub. Lately, it's been Montreal Steak by McCormicks

    Rub the meat with the spice rub and put it in a ziploc bag.
    In a 2 cup measuring cup, combine the lemon or lime juice, vinegar,
    salt, pepper, celery, worcestershire (or steak sauce) and a couple
    pinches of the rub and whisk together until well blended.

    Pour over the meat, seal tightly and let sit in the fridge 24 hours.
    Turn it every few hours.

    Of course, there's nothing wrong with bottle Italian salad dressing in
    a pinch!

    Cook as above. Make sure you slice it as thinly as possible, across the
    short side, and the meat will be pretty tender eating. Leftovers make
    a nice topping for a big green salad or even in fajitas.

  4. Thanks for all the advice! My toaster oven works great for broiling
    round streak; it is much easier to clean the pan and the entire process
    is much more convenient.

    I'll also make sure to give London Broil a try!

    Thanks again!
    Swann

    Quoted message said:
    Andy said:

    [email hidden] wrote in news:1116837726.317681.284170
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I am a college student who happens to broil round steak on a


    regular

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    basis in a normal oven. Of course, I have to marinade the steak


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about 24 hours to tenderize it, but it actually doesn't taste half


    bad

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and it's a lot cheaper than the more tender cuts. In either case,


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have recently, for a variety of reasons, decided to consider


    broiling

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    round steak in a toaster oven rather than in my regular oven, and I


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    wondering how well this would work. I know a toaster oven does


    have a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    broil setting, but would it truly be hot enough to cook a


    relatively

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    tough round steak? Would it cook it evenly at all?

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Swann

    Swann,

    I have a small toaster/convection oven. I've had great results


    cooking

    Quoted message said:

    sirloin tri-tip roasts (2" thick) using convection heat. Cooking time


    is

    Quoted message said:

    relatively short (approx 40 minutes) at 400 degrees. The roast plumps


    up

    Quoted message said:

    nicely, browns beautifully and tastes wonderful, like it should.

    Andy

    But that wasn't the question.

    The poster asked if they could BROIL a round steak in a toaster oven.
    No mention of Convection, which would seriously impact the timing of
    the cooking process. Not to mention, you're talking about a tri-tip
    "roast", which is usually twice as thick as the typical round steak
    would be.

    In answer to the original question: Yes, you can broil a round steak in
    a toaster oven. Round steak is typically pretty lean to begin with,
    but you will want to trim as much visible fat from it as possible,
    though, because the close proximity of the meat to the heating element
    could cause a flare up.

    Don't expect well-done, though. (No more than Medium is probably a
    good idea with round steak, anyway). The elements are pretty close to
    the meat and it would probably scorch before it got well-done
    throughout. Of course, that would depend on your toaster oven.

    For an inch thick steak, I would start with 5 minutes on side one
    (rotate it 180 degrees to assure even browning) and 3-4 minutes on side
    two. Adjust as needed until desired doneness. (By rotate it, I mean,
    leave it on side one, but turn it so what was the left side of the meat
    is now on the right, and vice versa.)

    Good luck.
    By the way, just fyi, there is another cut available in my markets that
    is also sold as "London Broil" (which is usually how Round Steak is
    labeled here) that is from the front half of the cow, rather than the
    back, and I find it's more tender and has more flavor, for what it's
    worth. It's called either "chuck steak" or "Shoulder steak" for "London
    Broil" and I have found it to be superior to Round steak, and is around
    the same price. (on sale, $1.69-2.49 per pound. Regular $3.49-4.29 per
    pound)

    My favorite marinade for this cut is as follows:
    1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    tons of garlic
    salt and pepper
    ground celery seed
    Tablespoon of worcestershire or steak sauce
    3 tablespoons of vegetable (olive, corn, whatever is handy)
    A good spice rub. Lately, it's been Montreal Steak by McCormicks

    Rub the meat with the spice rub and put it in a ziploc bag.
    In a 2 cup measuring cup, combine the lemon or lime juice, vinegar,
    salt, pepper, celery, worcestershire (or steak sauce) and a couple
    pinches of the rub and whisk together until well blended.

    Pour over the meat, seal tightly and let sit in the fridge 24 hours.
    Turn it every few hours.

    Of course, there's nothing wrong with bottle Italian salad dressing in
    a pinch!

    Cook as above. Make sure you slice it as thinly as possible, across the
    short side, and the meat will be pretty tender eating. Leftovers make
    a nice topping for a big green salad or even in fajitas.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.