Broke another spoke. Fix or get new wheel?

On 01 May 2006 21:50:06 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Mike Reed writes:
>
>> This is demonstrated when you let the air out of a tire, then push
>> it to the floor to get that last little bit out. The pressure
>> increases a lot based on the sound from the valve.

>I don't believe it. That volume change is local to the ground contact
>point and does not constitute a significant fraction of tire volume.
>What you may be sensing is that there is no more pressure in the tire
>and that any volume change will expel and equivalent volume of air.

You are demonstrably correct; using the 0-15psi guage that I use for
checking fuel pumps on carbureted engines, the pressure change on a
mountain bike tire just now was from near zero to just over three
quarters of a pound when the tire was squeezed from a no-tension
starting point. The percentage change was large; the specific change
was very small.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 01 May 2006 21:50:06 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Mike Reed writes:
> >
> >> This is demonstrated when you let the air out of a tire, then push
> >> it to the floor to get that last little bit out. The pressure
> >> increases a lot based on the sound from the valve.

> >I don't believe it. That volume change is local to the ground contact
> >point and does not constitute a significant fraction of tire volume.
> >What you may be sensing is that there is no more pressure in the tire
> >and that any volume change will expel and equivalent volume of air.

> You are demonstrably correct; using the 0-15psi guage that I use for
> checking fuel pumps on carbureted engines, the pressure change on a
> mountain bike tire just now was from near zero to just over three
> quarters of a pound when the tire was squeezed from a no-tension
> starting point. The percentage change was large; the specific change
> was very small.

There you have it. I was talking %.

-Mike

[email protected] wrote:

> >> Negligible; on my street-tire bike pumped to 80psi (with 26x1.5
> >> tires) even the rear tire pressure does not rise by a measurable
> >> amount when I'm on the saddle. (Yes, I checked this a while back.)

> > Interesting. I've never checked it.

> Next time you use the spare on your car, or even by jacking up one
> tire off the ground, check before and after tire pressure. You must
> have wondered about inflating a spare tire in a car in that respect.

Indeed I have. I've never cared enough to measure though -- I know all
these values would be impractiaclly small in general use.

-Mike

On 01 May 2006 21:30:24 GMT, [email protected]
wrote:

>Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> Hi all. I broke my first spoke of my rear wheel (Alexrims DA22,
>>> stock wheel on Giant OCR-3, 32 spoke) after 2500 miles. Today, just
>>> 200 miles later I broke another spoke (180 degrees apart from last
>>> broken spoke if that makes any difference). Is it just coincidence
>>> or can I count on this happening more frequently due to the
>>> mileage? The repair of the first spoke was done at a competent
>>> shop so no doubts about workmanship. I ride on a well paved bike
>>> path (no crossing RR tracks, etc). I do however weigh 225. Also, I
>>> have upgraded to Vredestein tires rated at 145 psi. Does the higher
>>> tire pressure put more stress on the wheel? As I only average 80
>>> miles a week I really have no desire to go up in quality to a new
>>> rim for the sake of performance but will consider it if it means
>>> more durability. Thanks,

>> If the spokes were not stress relieved at build time, it could mean
>> that you are getting fatigue failures. If this is the case, then
>> you should expect more of your spokes to break. A rebuild using new
>> spokes is what you need.

>All failures in which spokes were not damaged by a foreign object
>(stick in the wheel or derailleur) are fatigue failures. Beyond that,
>let's not ignore that bumps in the road and loads on the bicycle only
>slacken spokes. Spokes are not ripped apart from overload as is often
>imagined or implied by "good advice" writers in this NG.
>
>From the lack of insulting retorts to those suggesting spoke stress
>relieving, I take it that Johnny Walker (aka Jim Beam) is on vacation.
>By all means, stress relief is the most important operation in
>building durable wheels. Do it!
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

I've been gone for a while myself, so I'll just ask.

Have you come up with any actual test data that confirms
your stress relief theory?

Or have you explained why "better" spokes that became
available within a decade would have made discovery of your
theory difficult for lack of that elusive failure data?

(I asked this repeatedly, but never noticed a reply.)

"It appears that the better spokes now available would have
made the discovery of many of the concepts of this book more
difficult for lack of failure data. I am grateful in
retrospect for the poor durability of earlier spokes. They
operated so near their limits that durability was
significantly altered by the techniques that I have
outlined."

--Jobst Brandt, "The Bicycle Wheel," 3rd Edition, 1993,
p.124

Huh?

If spoke-squeezing was what made spokes immortal, how could
spokes become darned near immortal in a few years without
squeezing? Aren't they still being bent? And if they're
being bent, aren't the residual stresses still there until
removed by squeezing two spokes together to raise their
tension?

It seems odd that stainless steel spokes of the same shape
and size had their durability significantly altered in your
first edition by your spoke-squeezing, but the effect
somehow became difficult to notice by your third edition.

Isn't improvement in the quality of the raw material a
likely explanation for the improved durability?

And all that was 13 years ago. If spoke quality and
durabilty have continued to improve, it's as if quality made
more difference than the proposed theory.

As always, I'd love to see actual fatigue data showing
squeezed versus unsqueezed spokes. On Mondays, Wednesdays,
and Fridays, I tend to believe in spoke squeezing. Tuesdays,
Thursdays, and Saturdays, it tends to sound like faith-based
vehemence. On Sundays, I preserve a laudable neutrality.

(It should be added for anyone new to the question that
serious blind testing of the filthy things is extremely
tedious and difficult--so difficult that, as I recall, every
proposed test has been rejected by stress-relief advocates.)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >> Hi all. I broke my first spoke of my rear wheel (Alexrims DA22,
> >> stock wheel on Giant OCR-3, 32 spoke) after 2500 miles. Today, just
> >> 200 miles later I broke another spoke (180 degrees apart from last
> >> broken spoke if that makes any difference). Is it just coincidence
> >> or can I count on this happening more frequently due to the
> >> mileage? The repair of the first spoke was done at a competent
> >> shop so no doubts about workmanship. I ride on a well paved bike
> >> path (no crossing RR tracks, etc). I do however weigh 225. Also, I
> >> have upgraded to Vredestein tires rated at 145 psi. Does the higher
> >> tire pressure put more stress on the wheel? As I only average 80
> >> miles a week I really have no desire to go up in quality to a new
> >> rim for the sake of performance but will consider it if it means
> >> more durability. Thanks,

> > If the spokes were not stress relieved at build time, it could mean
> > that you are getting fatigue failures. If this is the case, then
> > you should expect more of your spokes to break. A rebuild using new
> > spokes is what you need.

> All failures in which spokes were not damaged by a foreign object
> (stick in the wheel or derailleur) are fatigue failures. Beyond that,
> let's not ignore that bumps in the road and loads on the bicycle only
> slacken spokes. Spokes are not ripped apart from overload as is often
> imagined or implied by "good advice" writers in this NG.
>
> From the lack of insulting retorts to those suggesting spoke stress
> relieving, I take it that Johnny Walker (aka Jim Beam) is on vacation.
> By all means, stress relief is the most important operation in
> building durable wheels. Do it!
>
> Jobst Brandt

This and another recent thread raise this question: is there any
benefit to stress-relieving a wheel after some spokes have already
broken? My own experience suggests that such wheels will continue to
break spokes either way. Is that correct?

-Vee

Vee wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

>>> If the spokes were not stress relieved at build time, it could mean
>>> that you are getting fatigue failures. If this is the case, then
>>> you should expect more of your spokes to break. A rebuild using new
>>> spokes is what you need.

>> All failures in which spokes were not damaged by a foreign object
>> (stick in the wheel or derailleur) are fatigue failures. Beyond
>> that, let's not ignore that bumps in the road and loads on the
>> bicycle only slacken spokes. Spokes are not ripped apart from
>> overload as is often imagined or implied by "good advice" writers in
>> this NG.
>>
>> From the lack of insulting retorts to those suggesting spoke stress
>> relieving, I take it that Johnny Walker (aka Jim Beam) is on
>> vacation. By all means, stress relief is the most important
>> operation in building durable wheels. Do it!
>>
>> Jobst Brandt

> This and another recent thread raise this question: is there any
> benefit to stress-relieving a wheel after some spokes have already
> broken? My own experience suggests that such wheels will continue to
> break spokes either way. Is that correct?

My experience is in the affirmative. A customer who chronically comes in
with broken spokes on his flat-bar road bike has had his spokes
stress-relieved by me each time. I use shop rags folded to oven-mitt
thickness to do this.

Or I'm doing it wrong or I'm too weak to get it done right.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Mon, 01 May 2006 19:35:29 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>[quoting Jobst Brandt]
>"It appears that the better spokes now available would have
>made the discovery of many of the concepts of this book more
>difficult for lack of failure data. I am grateful in
>retrospect for the poor durability of earlier spokes. They
>operated so near their limits that durability was
>significantly altered by the techniques that I have
>outlined."
>
>--Jobst Brandt, "The Bicycle Wheel," 3rd Edition, 1993,
>p.124
>
>Huh?

Possible translation: Older spokes were made from wire which was of
lower quality; as a result, they inherently failed more often than
newer ones which are made with better steel and better forming
techniques. Since they failed more often, the impetus to discover the
cause of the failures, and the drive to find a way to minimize it, was
much stronger than it would have been with a lower failure rate.
Better spokes might have made the issue unworthy of pursuit, but as
better spokes were not what was at hand, the necessity was to find a
way to make do with what was available.

This kind of necessity-driven research is fairly common. In the
search for ways to reduce spoke breakage, a number of techniques were
tried by various people, most of which proved to be fruitless. Tying
and soldering the spokes was one of them. While this procedure did
have the effect of masking many a broken spoke for a while, it
prevented none. Overtightening the nipples and the backing them off
was another; sometimes this may stress-relieve the spoke in the
process, but I'd expect the nipple threads to give out at an annoying
rate if enough tension was really being applied. Many rituals have
been described which have the effect of stress-relieving the spokes
(sitting on a pail inverted on the middle of the spokes of one side of
the wheel while the other side rested flat on a the rim of a
five-gallon bucket was the tactic advocated in one old book I found;
others had equally arcane ceremonies) but in a goodly percentage of
the material I've seen on the subject, it's pretty clear that what was
being described was regarded as Magic, not a well-understood process.

In short, Jobst's description of the process, and his having defined
why and how it works, codified what had been known at an empirical
level for at least forty years that I can verify based on personal
experience. Whether some of the old-time cyclists and bike mechanics
clearly understood the effect that they employed is probably less
important than the fact that they had, by long trial and error, found
that it worked.

>If spoke-squeezing was what made spokes immortal, how could
>spokes become darned near immortal in a few years without
>squeezing? Aren't they still being bent? And if they're
>being bent, aren't the residual stresses still there until
>removed by squeezing two spokes together to raise their
>tension?

Some of the spokes in almost any given wheel will, without having been
overtensioned, achieve a stable existence by luck alone. This should
account for some of your "immortal unrelieved spokes". An additional
number of such "immortal" spokes will result from careless
wheelbuilding in which some of the spokes are overtensioned during
assembly (thereby unintentionally getting stress-relieved to some
degree), and then backed off in truing. Others may simply get the
luck of the stress draw, and never see enough tension to cause them to
fail. And there's also the unknown but possible factor that some
spoke makers may have been stress-relieving their spokes (to some
extent) prior to shipment all along.

>It seems odd that stainless steel spokes of the same shape
>and size had their durability significantly altered in your
>first edition by your spoke-squeezing, but the effect
>somehow became difficult to notice by your third edition.

I've had a chance, over the years, to see some etch testing of alloys
used in machine parts and fasteners. Jobst's assertion that there has
been an improvement in the materials is reflected in the results I
recall. The typical stainless alloy materials provided thirty years
ago had a much less even distribution of alloy fractions than those I
last saw; the etched surfaces of the later alloys were much more
uniform than the earlier ones. Plain steel has also seen considerable
improvement in quality in that time period, with the result that
structural engineering standards have recently been rewritten to
permit the use of lighter materials for a given load on the basis of
the fact that the number of material flaws is now so low that this
measure is safe. (It would always have been safe if the materials had
been as routinely free of defects as they now commonly are.)

>Isn't improvement in the quality of the raw material a
>likely explanation for the improved durability?

Only up to a point. As I understand it, short-service failures are
typical of material defects; long-service failures are indicative of
cyclic overstress or massive single-event overstess. Stress-relieving
the spoke so that the yield point is moved well beyond the expected
level of tension should reduce the overall failure rate both by
inducing at-assembly failure of any defective spokes and by moving the
spoke's yield tension out of the range of operational stresses.

>And all that was 13 years ago. If spoke quality and
>durabilty have continued to improve, it's as if quality made
>more difference than the proposed theory.

And yet unrelieved spokes still break more often than relieved spokes,
in the direct experience of a number of people.

>As always, I'd love to see actual fatigue data showing
>squeezed versus unsqueezed spokes. On Mondays, Wednesdays,
>and Fridays, I tend to believe in spoke squeezing. Tuesdays,
>Thursdays, and Saturdays, it tends to sound like faith-based
>vehemence. On Sundays, I preserve a laudable neutrality.

For best results, I recommend assembling your wheels on M/W/F;
however, it might be more instructive to assemble them on T/T/S. Most
people would, I suspect, favor the M/W/F approach, if for no other
reason than the idea that stress-relief is easy, fast, cheap, and at
the very least harmless. If it does nothing, there's no real loss in
applying it; OTOH, if it really works, you'll never know...because
it's hard to prove that a lack of an event has a cause.

>(It should be added for anyone new to the question that
>serious blind testing of the filthy things is extremely
>tedious and difficult--so difficult that, as I recall, every
>proposed test has been rejected by stress-relief advocates.)

I haven't followed the arguments as closely as you. This, however, I
do know; the very first wheel I built, way back in 1968 when I was
using my bike to run a paper route (remember those?) developed a rusty
rim that kept puncturing the tube. I bought a new rim, and ended up
replacing most of the spokes as well because over half of them had
nipples siezed to the threads. The bike was five or six years old at
that point, and had never broken a spoke. Within a couple of months
after I relaced the wheel, I broke two of the new spokes. None of the
old ones failed. When I went to the bike shop to ask them what was
going on, they explained that the new spokes failed because I didn't
"stretch the spokes into place" when I assembled the wheel. They
demonstrated what to do, I did it...and that same wheel, untouched,
was still serviceable some twenty-five years later when I sold the
bike at a garage sale. Was that an example of Darwinian spoke
selection, or the virtue of stress relief? I can't say for sure; had
I stretched half the new spokes instead of all of them, I might have
some harder data to offer. What I can recall is that the guys at the
bike shop told me that if I didn't stretch them I'd have more spokes
breaking, probably just one at a time, until I took their advice. It
put no money in their pockets to tell me this; they would have sold me
more spokes periodically and I'd have assumed that I had just not
built the wheel properly. And apparently I'd have been right...but
unaware of why or how.

Thirty-five years elapsed between when I built that old wheel and when
I assembled my next wheel, and in the intervening time I had forgotten
the old advice. I'm just glad that Jobst's articles were present here
to tease that memory back to the surface. The wheels in question
haven't given me a minute's spoke trouble, nor do I expect that they
will.

--

On 1 May 2006 19:12:50 -0700, "Vee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This and another recent thread raise this question: is there any
>benefit to stress-relieving a wheel after some spokes have already
>broken? My own experience suggests that such wheels will continue to
>break spokes either way. Is that correct?

My experience of long ago says it's still worth doing. Additionally,
it does no harm to stress-relieve them when they've had it done once
(or more) previously, so there's no reason *not* to relieve them.
(OTOH, if three of them snapped at the bends when I tried to relieve
the wheel, I'd relace it with some better spokes.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Mon, 1 May 2006 22:52:54 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Vee wrote:
>> This and another recent thread raise this question: is there any
>> benefit to stress-relieving a wheel after some spokes have already
>> broken? My own experience suggests that such wheels will continue to
>> break spokes either way. Is that correct?

>My experience is in the affirmative. A customer who chronically comes in
>with broken spokes on his flat-bar road bike has had his spokes
>stress-relieved by me each time. I use shop rags folded to oven-mitt
>thickness to do this.
>
>Or I'm doing it wrong or I'm too weak to get it done right.

Or maybe this wheel was built with just plain lousy spokes?
--

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:43:11 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>

>>... Apart from the vagaries of road dust, cleaning,
>>lubrication, alignment, and suitably sacrificed chickens,

> According to my Mechronomicon, the only approved method of
> consummating the sacrifice of a chicken for this or most other
> purposes is by direct consumption by the rider and/or support team[1].
> Any wastage of chicken (such as by unsanitarily laying it atop a
> ceremonial stone) is bound to incur the wrath of some diety (

Hmmm... Chicken... Must be that lo-carb diet-y thingy.

Mark

On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:49:49 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

>I stretched half the new spokes instead of all of them, I might have
>some harder data to offer. What I can recall is that the guys at the
>bike shop told me that if I didn't stretch them I'd have more spokes
>breaking, probably just one at a time, until I took their advice. It
>put no money in their pockets to tell me this; they would have sold me
>more spokes periodically and I'd have assumed that I had just not
>built the wheel properly. And apparently I'd have been right...but
>unaware of why or how.
>
>Thirty-five years elapsed between when I built that old wheel and when
>I assembled my next wheel, and in the intervening time I had forgotten
>the old advice. I'm just glad that Jobst's articles were present here
>to tease that memory back to the surface. The wheels in question
>haven't given me a minute's spoke trouble, nor do I expect that they

Dear Werehatrack,

You could be right.

But the evidence so far for spoke-squeezing bears an uncanny
resemblance to the evidence for tying and soldering.

In both cases, experienced and knowledgeable riders firmly
believe in clear and obvious benefits that somehow have yet
to be demonstrated by anything resembling objective testing.

Testing for spoke fatigue is unfortunately far more
difficult than the testing that demolished the tying and
soldering. (It's worth noting that Jobst Brandt did the
testing and measuring that showed no significant effect from
tying and soldering.)

But the difficulty of testing a theory is hardly grounds for
increased belief in it. This obvious point tends to ruffle
lots of feathers.

The only thing that I'm sure of is that the spokes don't
care a whit about any of our theories or doubts. The plural
of anecdote is not data, particularly not when the anecdotes
come from believers or disbelievers.

Like you, I'm not sure about it, so I appreciate your taking
the trouble to suggest some ideas about how different kinds
of spoke failures might be due to materials versus residual
stresses.

But something changed over a decade or so. Most bicycles now
use fewer spokes with greater tension, but few riders carry
spare spokes:

"A stronger wheel implies fewer spoke failures, failures
that were so common that every rider I knew, in the days
before I wrote my book, carried four or more spokes taped to
his Silca Impero tire pump... and needed them on occasion."

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/a683f888ccd66594

Jobst wrote that about three weeks ago. Maybe every rider he
knows uses his spoke-squeezing technique correctly, but
somehow I doubt that the rest of the world is doing it--and
most of them don't need to carry a fistful of spare spokes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> But the evidence so far for spoke-squeezing bears an uncanny
> resemblance to the evidence for tying and soldering.
>
> In both cases, experienced and knowledgeable riders firmly
> believe in clear and obvious benefits that somehow have yet
> to be demonstrated by anything resembling objective testing.
>
> Testing for spoke fatigue is unfortunately far more
> difficult than the testing that demolished the tying and
> soldering. (It's worth noting that Jobst Brandt did the
> testing and measuring that showed no significant effect from
> tying and soldering.)
>
> But the difficulty of testing a theory is hardly grounds for
> increased belief in it. This obvious point tends to ruffle
> lots of feathers.

Your opinion seems formed in a pristine state, uncontaminated by
science, or more accurately, engineering -- specifically, mechanical
engineering. I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it (since you
seem to have no inclination to avail yourself of the abundant
resources), but (in short form) stress relieving is supported by the
body of knowledge known as mechanical engineering, tying and soldering
isn't.

Back such a short time and already stirring the pot...

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Vee wrote:
> > This and another recent thread raise this question: is there any
> > benefit to stress-relieving a wheel after some spokes have already
> > broken? My own experience suggests that such wheels will continue to
> > break spokes either way. Is that correct?

> My experience is in the affirmative. A customer who chronically comes in
> with broken spokes on his flat-bar road bike has had his spokes
> stress-relieved by me each time. I use shop rags folded to oven-mitt
> thickness to do this.
>
> Or I'm doing it wrong or I'm too weak to get it done right.

I've likely only had a small fraction of your experience, as I've only
stress relieved half a dozen or so of my own wheelsets and a few of
companions that were nuts enough to allow me to "abuse" their wheels.

It seems to help much of the time, but I don't know if shop rags and
fingers apply enough pressure to seat the spoke in the flange properly.
I'll either use a dowel, a big wooden spoon, or the handle of a large
crescent wrench to pull that spoke into the flange. Never broken one
this way, which surprises me as I use mondo force. Never a problem,
though I don't have any follow up on my friends wheels who are out of
touch.

Indeed though, I've known folks that have the "wheels from hell", that
keep breaking spokes regardless of which shop does the fixing. I don't
volunteer my time on those as I don't want to become part of the loop.
:p Sometimes I think that some spokes and hub flange combinations just
don't want to get along no matter what.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>This and another recent thread raise this question: is there any
>benefit to stress-relieving a wheel after some spokes have already
>broken? My own experience suggests that such wheels will continue to
>break spokes either way. Is that correct?

If you do stress relieve at this point, be careful. Chances are that there are
other spokes that are about to break and will do so when you stress relieve.
Wear gloves, eye protection and point the spoke ends away from you when you do
this.
--------------
Alex

On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:28:55 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>But something changed over a decade or so. Most bicycles now
>use fewer spokes with greater tension,

By the numbers, this is not true. The sheer massive size of the
low-end market for bikes dwarfs the traffic in low-count-wheel road
bikes. The *average* bike still has 32 or 36 spokes per wheel, with
36 remaining the dominant count in the mass market.

>but few riders carry spare spokes:
>
>"A stronger wheel implies fewer spoke failures, failures
>that were so common that every rider I knew, in the days
>before I wrote my book, carried four or more spokes taped to
>his Silca Impero tire pump... and needed them on occasion."
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/a683f888ccd66594
>
>Jobst wrote that about three weeks ago. Maybe every rider he
>knows uses his spoke-squeezing technique correctly, but
>somehow I doubt that the rest of the world is doing it--and
>most of them don't need to carry a fistful of spare spokes.

Two observations: First, I think you're underestimating the extent to
which stress-relief is employed as a normal part of wheel building
now. Second, my own experience has been that many users of
low-spoke-count wheels do, in fact, have spoke failures, and that when
these occur, they are harder to deal with than is the case with
higher-spoke-count wheels. Some riders, so afflicted, replace their
wheels with units that are less problematic. I see many a new Trek on
the paths and streets here that has 36 spokes per wheel despite the
fact that it is a model that I know was supplied with low-count
wheels. I often wonder how many of those wheels are sitting in
closets for special occasions.

I suspect that your own bikes tend to be more toward the
economically-engineered end of things (as are mine), and thus do not
provide the opportunity for the delights of personal experience with
such issues. I have recently had the opportunity to buy several sets
of 24-spoke wheels for relatively low prices; I continue to decline
the offers, even though the prices seem to be dropping as time goes
on. As long as there is demand for these units, they will remain
expensive. Time will allow the accumulation of enough experience to
demonstrate if they were a good idea. I suspect that there will be
plenty of them available cheap before too much longer.
--

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> If the spokes were not stress relieved at build time, it could
>>> mean that you are getting fatigue failures. If this is the case,
>>> then you should expect more of your spokes to break. A rebuild
>>> using new spokes is what you need.

>> All failures in which spokes were not damaged by a foreign object
>> (stick in the wheel or derailleur) are fatigue failures. Beyond
>> that, let's not ignore that bumps in the road and loads on the
>> bicycle only slacken spokes. Spokes are not ripped apart from
>> overload as is often imagined or implied by "good advice" writers
>> in this NG.

>> From the lack of insulting retorts to those suggesting spoke stress
>> relieving, I take it that Johnny Walker (aka Jim Beam) is on
>> vacation. By all means, stress relief is the most important
>> operation in building durable wheels. Do it!

> I've been gone for a while myself, so I'll just ask.

> Have you come up with any actual test data that confirms your stress
> relief theory?

> Or have you explained why "better" spokes that became available
> within a decade would have made discovery of your theory difficult
> for lack of that elusive failure data?

I suppose I should write this up for the FAQ although it is ancient
and has been repeated in these pages often.

In the late 1950's when spoke failures were so common that all bikies
taped a few spokes to their seat tube or Silca tire pump, I damaged
the wheels I was on during a ride in the Sierra. I had my spare
wheels from home, Greyhound expressed to me in Reno NV. These wheels
had large flanges and broke spokes often so I kept them in reserve.

After riding over the Sierra to Willets in the Sacramento Vally and on
to Fort Bragg, I broke two spokes and had no freewheel remover, so I
wobbled on to a gas station where I could borrow a hammer an punch.
Being a large flange hub, disassembling the FW gave access to the
spokes on the right flange.

After replacing the broken spokes and realizing that I would not be so
fortunate in finding a shop, I then tried breaking any spoke that were
already close to failure by stretching them in the now common stress
relieving manner. I broke another spoke and replaced it and yet
another the next attempt.

I rode that wheel for years after that with no failures and to top
that off, I was in a small bicycle shop in Florence (I) a couple years
later and saw the mechanic finish a wheel and lay it on the floor to
walk on the spokes with his tennis shoes. He was a small and wiry
man. When asked what that was all about he said it made wheels last a
long time. It was at that moment that I began thinking of the routine
I used on my failure prone wheel and what effect that had.

I think you can draw the appropriate conclusions from that. I
introduced this procedure at a time when spokes were breaking left and
right in this area and it resulted in an abrupt reduction in spoke
failures. We no longer use Robergel spokes but they were the culprits
that broke at the slightest provocation at that time. I rode many
miles without failures with them. Those wheels, for tubulars are
still resting here with their Robergels.

> (I asked this repeatedly, but never noticed a reply.)

You must have been absent at the time.

> "It appears that the better spokes now available would have made the
> discovery of many of the concepts of this book more difficult for
> lack of failure data. I am grateful in retrospect for the poor
> durability of earlier spokes. They operated so near their limits
> that durability was significantly altered by the techniques that I
> have outlined."

> --Jobst Brandt, "The Bicycle Wheel," 3rd Edition, 1993,
> p.124

> Huh?

> If spoke-squeezing was what made spokes immortal, how could spokes
> become darned near immortal in a few years without squeezing?
> Aren't they still being bent? And if they're being bent, aren't the
> residual stresses still there until removed by squeezing two spokes
> together to raise their tension?

> It seems odd that stainless steel spokes of the same shape and size
> had their durability significantly altered in your first edition by
> your spoke-squeezing, but the effect somehow became difficult to
> notice by your third edition.

You seem to miss that even today people write of repeated spoke
failures even with immortal spokes as you call them. Could it be that
most wheels are stress relieved and that this is why failures have
greatly diminished?

> Isn't improvement in the quality of the raw material a likely
> explanation for the improved durability?

You and the alcoholic one keeps asking that question. I think I have
explained it in fine detail how forming a spoke causes residual stress
and that raising stress at that high stress point yields the material,
leaving it without that stress.

One excellent example is subjecting a manually bent wavy spoke and
stretching it to yield in a tensile tester. After such a stretch the
spoke is as perfectly straight as you can make it.

> And all that was 13 years ago. If spoke quality and durability have
> continued to improve, it's as if quality made more difference than
> the proposed theory.

<break> Spokes on poorly built wheels still fail. How do you account
for these failures?

> As always, I'd love to see actual fatigue data showing squeezed
> versus unsqueezed spokes. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I
> tend to believe in spoke squeezing. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and
> Saturdays, it tends to sound like faith-based vehemence. On
> Sundays, I preserve a laudable neutrality.

How nice! How about stretching spokes. Squeezing has that ring to it
that makes it unbelievable.

> (It should be added for anyone new to the question that serious
> blind testing of the filthy things is extremely tedious and
> difficult--so difficult that, as I recall, every proposed test has
> been rejected by stress-relief advocates.)

How do you propose to quantify these changes to your satisfaction?
Structural changes described for residual stress from forming and it's
relief is glaringly obvious to most mechanical engineers. The concept
is only questioned by a few self proclaimed non-engineers here on
wreck.bike.

> Cheers,

Isn't that spelled "Jeers"?

> Carl Fogel

Jobst Brandt

On 02 May 2006 18:20:54 GMT, [email protected]
wrote:

> [...]

>> versus unsqueezed spokes. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I
>> tend to believe in spoke squeezing. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and
>> Saturdays, it tends to sound like faith-based vehemence. On
>> Sundays, I preserve a laudable neutrality.

>How nice! How about stretching spokes. Squeezing has that ring to it
>that makes it unbelievable.
>
>> (It should be added for anyone new to the question that serious
>> blind testing of the filthy things is extremely tedious and
>> difficult--so difficult that, as I recall, every proposed test has
>> been rejected by stress-relief advocates.)

>How do you propose to quantify these changes to your satisfaction?
>Structural changes described for residual stress from forming and it's
>relief is glaringly obvious to most mechanical engineers. The concept
>is only questioned by a few self proclaimed non-engineers here on

Dear Jobst,

Please point to the previous reply that I missed instead of
claiming to have made it.

If it exists, I hope it's better than the familiar evasions
above.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dear Jobst,
>
> Please point to the previous reply that I missed instead of
> claiming to have made it.
>
> If it exists, I hope it's better than the familiar evasions
> above.

I know you've been at this for awhile so don't you think you could snip a
little given your two sentence reply?

Greg

On Tue, 02 May 2006 07:10:26 -0400, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> But the evidence so far for spoke-squeezing bears an uncanny
>> resemblance to the evidence for tying and soldering.
>>
>> In both cases, experienced and knowledgeable riders firmly
>> believe in clear and obvious benefits that somehow have yet
>> to be demonstrated by anything resembling objective testing.
>>
>> Testing for spoke fatigue is unfortunately far more
>> difficult than the testing that demolished the tying and
>> soldering. (It's worth noting that Jobst Brandt did the
>> testing and measuring that showed no significant effect from
>> tying and soldering.)
>>
>> But the difficulty of testing a theory is hardly grounds for
>> increased belief in it. This obvious point tends to ruffle
>> lots of feathers.

>Your opinion seems formed in a pristine state, uncontaminated by
>science, or more accurately, engineering -- specifically, mechanical
>engineering. I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it (since you
>seem to have no inclination to avail yourself of the abundant
>resources), but (in short form) stress relieving is supported by the
>body of knowledge known as mechanical engineering, tying and soldering
>isn't.
>
>Back such a short time and already stirring the pot...

Dear Peter,

Can you explain how in ten years spokes became so much more
durable that it would have been hard to discover what so
many posters claim twenty-five years later is still the
single most important process in guaranteeing durability?

What caused the so-called "failure data" to dry up in a
decade?

That is a fair paraphrase of the text from Jobst's 1993
edition and a fair description of the current situation
here, isn't it?

Interestingly, people are now starting to suggest that the
spoke manufacturers might have been stress-relieving the
spokes secretly for decades. (If so, it's pointless to do it
ourselves.)

Incidentally, look back through this thread and let us know
which post you think began "stirring the pot" with a
typically unprovoked and obnoxious comment.

But the real question is still why spoke failures became so
strikingly scarce in ten years that Jobst felt obliged to
say something about it, alluding to "failure data" as if
there had been some actual testing, even though every
edition states that no spoke fatigue testing was performed
due to lack of suitable equipment.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> But the real question is still why spoke failures became so
> strikingly scarce in ten years that Jobst felt obliged to
> say something about it, alluding to "failure data" as if
> there had been some actual testing, even though every
> edition states that no spoke fatigue testing was performed
> due to lack of suitable equipment.

Spoke failures aren't scarce, Carl. There is a thread about
spoke failures going on in r.b.t. right now. These threads are
very frequent. These do constitute failure data. Of course,
r.b.t. now has a readership that is much greater than one bikie's
circle of acquaintances, which makes trends easier to pick out.
I think Jobst's point was that better spokes now mean poorly built
wheels break spokes some of the time, not all of the time. As any
engineer or mechanic knows, intermittent failures are very hard
to diagnose.