Broke Fox vanilla 125

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dean A. Stepper

I know...you all will tell me I should of bought a Bomber....well I didn't.

Today...coming down San Juan Trail, about a mile below Cocktail Rock, my need for speed caused
me problems...again. Was going to fast, a little out of control; ended up dropping into a foot
deep erosion rut in the trail and did an endo trying to get back out....maybe going about 15
miles an hour.

I survived with some minor scratches on my right arm but my Turner 5-spot did not do as well. Got
back up and handle bars parallel with bike frame and wheel pointing straight. The front fork dropout
on right side broke off with about 1/3 of it remaining, rear derailleur hanger bent but workable,
and headset a little loose. Quick release would grip dropout slightly, so I could ride as long as I
did not; turn the handlebars sharply, and stayed away from rocks than would put side force on axle.
Kept the front disk on lightly as it seemed to help hold the axle in the remaining piece....slow
ride down. I am surprised that the front rim did not taco and actually seems to be true. Kris King
hub, DT spokes and Mavic 521D rims. Bike shop will call Fox, I will be surprised if it is under
warrantee, I would be OK with a crash discount.

Will be without my bike for about a week..I already miss her. Have my I-drive as a backup and have
not been on it since I brought the Turner.

Dean Stepper Laguna Beach

> I know...you all will tell me I should of bought a Bomber....well I
didn't.
>
> Today...coming down San Juan Trail, about a mile below Cocktail Rock, my need for speed caused me
> problems...again. Was going to fast, a little
out
> of control; ended up dropping into a foot deep erosion rut in the trail
and
> did an endo trying to get back out....maybe going about 15 miles an hour.
>
> I survived with some minor scratches on my right arm but my Turner 5-spot did not do as well. Got
> back up and handle bars parallel with bike frame and wheel pointing straight. The front fork
> dropout on right side broke
off
> with about 1/3 of it remaining, rear derailleur hanger bent but workable, and headset a little
> loose. Quick release would grip dropout slightly, so
I
> could ride as long as I did not; turn the handlebars sharply, and stayed away from rocks than
> would put side force on axle. Kept the front disk on lightly as it seemed to help hold the axle in
> the remaining piece....slow ride down. I am surprised that the front rim did not taco and actually
> seems to be true. Kris King hub, DT spokes and Mavic 521D rims. Bike
shop
> will call Fox, I will be surprised if it is under warrantee, I would be OK with a crash discount.
>
> Will be without my bike for about a week..I already miss her. Have my I-drive as a backup and have
> not been on it since I brought the Turner.
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach

Man, that really sucks. It's easy to get out of control on SJT because it's so inviting.

If Fox doesn't hook you up, a Z1 would be perfect on that beast. Good luck.
--
Slacker

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:0my1b.8757$Qy4.7432@fed1read05...
<snip broke dropouts on Fox Vanilla>

Wow! That's the second Fox Vanilla with broken dropouts that I've heard of in the past few weeks.
Both were on a 5-Spot.

I have a Marz 03 Z1 on mine and so far, so good. I don't think that I could break the dropouts on
either, fwiw, but I am glad that I got the Zoke instead of the Vanilla.

Bruce said...

> "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:0my1b.8757$Qy4.7432@fed1read05...
> <snip broke dropouts on Fox Vanilla>
>
> Wow! That's the second Fox Vanilla with broken dropouts that I've heard of in the past few weeks.
> Both were on a 5-Spot.
>
> I have a Marz 03 Z1 on mine and so far, so good. I don't think that I could break the dropouts on
> either, fwiw, but I am glad that I got the Zoke instead of the Vanilla.

No part is indestructible and considering its weight, I don't see the Vanilla as much of a free
ride fork. The Z1 weighs a pound and a half more. A better comparison would be the Marathon S. In
that comparison the Vanilla looks really good. It's a little lighter and has more travel, about the
same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.