Broke my cassette!

dm69

Jan 24, 2006
Pulled up to a set of stoplights, Lights go green, I clip in and push down on the pedals with a lot of force/ torque. Too high a gear (cbf changing gear at stoplights). Next second my cassette falls apart. I think I sheared the metal in my freehub...take off the wheel for a closer inspection...take off the quick release and my cassette disintegrates all over the ground!

How did this happen? I am only 65kg's dont consider myself a ben kersten in track starts either...Too strong or faulty something?

Never heard of this happening before.

Just for the record. What group?

I have never heard of something similar happening. Must have had a fabrication defect of some sort?

I had the same thing happen as well. Somehow the piece that screws in and holds it all together had loosened up and then when I started it finally came out. I had it reassembled and I made sure it was tightened to the right torque setting. No problems since and I've ridden 800 miles.

.....sounds like the lock ring on the cassette loosened and came off. When you say the cassette "disintegrates", you mean the sprockets slid off of the rear hub cassette body right? Not that the sprocket and/or the cassette broke into little pieces - that would be crazy scary. Did you recently remove/install the cassette? Chances are that the lock ring was not torqued correctly. Make sure to use the right cassette tool and tighten it properly - there's a torque spec. on the lock ring.