Broke my front axle, MTB

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ZeeExSixAre, May 4, 2004.

  1. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    After doing some jumps and downhill on my Deore-equipped front wheel, I
    undid my quick-release to find the locknut pop out. Hmm... loose
    cone/locknut? Nope, broken axle. At the shop the next day, the head
    mechanic mentioned that if adjusted too loose, axles can break this way. Is
    this true and what's its validity?

    Shimano Deore, 9mmx1mm front axle, 110mm.

    Pictures to follow in the near future.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > After doing some jumps and downhill on my Deore-equipped front wheel, I
    > undid my quick-release to find the locknut pop out. Hmm... loose
    > cone/locknut? Nope, broken axle. At the shop the next day, the head
    > mechanic mentioned that if adjusted too loose, axles can break this way.

    Is
    > this true and what's its validity?

    Dunno. I have never seen a broken front axle. Ever..in 10 years working in
    a shop. Nice work!

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 23:09:25 -0400, "ZeeExSixAre"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After doing some jumps and downhill on my Deore-equipped front wheel, I
    >undid my quick-release to find the locknut pop out. Hmm... loose
    >cone/locknut? Nope, broken axle. At the shop the next day, the head
    >mechanic mentioned that if adjusted too loose, axles can break this way. Is
    >this true and what's its validity?
    >
    >Shimano Deore, 9mmx1mm front axle, 110mm.
    >
    >Pictures to follow in the near future.

    Er, Deore is not a jump/DH hub. Get a 20mm through axle, or at least a
    hub with a much fatter axle than Deore, which is 9mm all the way
    through. Chris King are supposed to be nice...

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  4. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Kinky Cowboy wrote:

    > Er, Deore is not a jump/DH hub. Get a 20mm through axle, or at least a
    > hub with a much fatter axle than Deore, which is 9mm all the way
    > through. Chris King are supposed to be nice...

    Hmmm. From Deore to CK. Isn't that sort of like trading in a Ford Focus on
    a new GT?

    Bill "substitute GM/Chrysler products as will" S.

  5. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 18:07:20 GMT, " S o r n i"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Kinky Cowboy wrote:
    >>
    >> Er, Deore is not a jump/DH hub. Get a 20mm through axle, or at least a
    >> hub with a much fatter axle than Deore, which is 9mm all the way
    >> through. Chris King are supposed to be nice...

    >Hmmm. From Deore to CK. Isn't that sort of like trading in a Ford Focus on
    >a new GT?
    >
    >Bill "substitute GM/Chrysler products as will" S.

    I was being lighthearted. There are plenty of reasonably priced front
    hubs out there with thick axles, none as cheap as Deore but if you
    start breaking stuff, it's time to upgrade. I'd suggest a Hope Bulb
    hub, just because it's easy to swap from QR to 20mm, allowing for a
    subsequent fork upgrade.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  6. Calvin Jones

    Calvin Jones Guest

    Consider also the possiblity that the front dropouts are not aligned.
    This can stress the axle, and it will eventually break. Every time
    the wheel is removed and re-clamped, the axle will flex to meet the
    face of the miss-aligned dropouts. Use dropout alignment tools to
    check. Most suspension forks should not be bent to correct, but it is
    still worth checking. An oversized axle will help.

    See also http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FFG.shtml for more on
    dropout alignment.

  7. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    Calvin Jones wrote:
    > Consider also the possiblity that the front dropouts are not aligned.
    > This can stress the axle, and it will eventually break. Every time
    > the wheel is removed and re-clamped, the axle will flex to meet the
    > face of the miss-aligned dropouts. Use dropout alignment tools to
    > check. Most suspension forks should not be bent to correct, but it is
    > still worth checking. An oversized axle will help.
    >
    > See also http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FFG.shtml for more on
    > dropout alignment.

    You are very likely correct. I used this hub on a crooked fork that had
    cracked lowers (Manitou Skareb Comp 03). I rode it cracked/crooked for
    about 6 months before I found the tiny crack itself and replaced the lowers.
    The current lowers (and the ones I broke the axle on) were the revamped
    lowers that Manitou did for 04.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    Kinky Cowboy wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 May 2004 23:09:25 -0400, "ZeeExSixAre"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> After doing some jumps and downhill on my Deore-equipped front
    >> wheel, I undid my quick-release to find the locknut pop out. Hmm...
    >> loose cone/locknut? Nope, broken axle. At the shop the next day,
    >> the head mechanic mentioned that if adjusted too loose, axles can
    >> break this way. Is this true and what's its validity?
    >>
    >> Shimano Deore, 9mmx1mm front axle, 110mm.
    >>
    >> Pictures to follow in the near future.

    > Er, Deore is not a jump/DH hub. Get a 20mm through axle, or at least a
    > hub with a much fatter axle than Deore, which is 9mm all the way
    > through. Chris King are supposed to be nice...

    It was for a collegiate race in Tennessee... lugging my AC1 across 4 states
    along with the XTC wasn't really an option ;)

    The AC has a 20mm TA.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training