Broken 2011 Super Record 11 Front Derailleur

Jamin Jake

Jul 25, 2011
Today while I was riding my front derailleur broke. I was doing an upshift to the big chain ring while riding on a flat suface. I was on the sixth Not the cage, but the tiny part(little tab) that makes sure the cable doesn't pop off the derailleur. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Bike/Components are a month old and I have put about 200 miles(at most) on the bike.

Originally Posted by Jamin Jake .

Today while I was riding my front derailleur broke. I was doing an upshift to the big chain ring while riding on a flat suface. I was on the sixth Not the cage, but the tiny part(little tab) that makes sure the cable doesn't pop off the derailleur. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Bike/Components are a month old and I have put about 200 miles(at most) on the bike.
That's a cast piece, I think, and as such, it's possible it was a bad casting. Such failures are exceedingly rare, but no matter how good a given product, a bad can make it off the production line and onto a shelf at a store somewhere. Who setup your FD?

If an LBS setup the derailleur, your first step should be to go to that LBS for help. If you set it up, contact the store where the FD was purchased so that they can contact Campagnolo about a warranty replacement.

Originally Posted by alienator .

That's a cast piece, I think, and as such, it's possible it was a bad casting. Such failures are exceedingly rare, but no matter how good a given product, a bad can make it off the production line and onto a shelf at a store somewhere. Who setup your FD?

If an LBS setup the derailleur, your first step should be to go to that LBS for help. If you set it up, contact the store where the FD was purchased so that they can contact Campagnolo about a warranty replacement.
Alienator,

Thanks much for the reply. The bike basically came assembled from BMC with the final adjustments/installation of wheels being done by my LBS. I don't think I will have a problem warrantying the item. The shop seems to have a long standing relationship with Campagnolo. I was just curious as to how it would failure(essentially wondering if it was probably a defect in manufacturing). Originally I thought the effected area was molded carbon but after looking/feeling it this morning, you are right and it is metal. Once again, thanks for your reply regarding how to remedy the defective item and the possible cause of defect.

Jamin Jake