broken ankles

NVP

Oct 28, 2005
i was in a car wreck on sept.28 and i broke both of my ankles and crushed my whole right foot and i wont be able to put any weight on them for about 3- 4 more months... i was just wondering, do you think this will affect my bicycle riding a lot??

NVP said:
i was in a car wreck on sept.28 and i broke both of my ankles and crushed my whole right foot and i wont be able to put any weight on them for about 3- 4 more months... i was just wondering, do you think this will affect my bicycle riding a lot??

short answer : depends .
I know a guy who fell off a roof and really wrecked his legs and feet - won a medal in the sydney paralympics on the track ( silver ) - and his legs were a really mess nowadays his biggest problem is having to have his shoes specially made .
I had polio as a child and my foots a disaster almost solid at the ankle , leg not much better but most of the time it´s not stopped me cycling and when fit I´m not the slowest guy I know .

rehab : do enough but don´t overdo it , a little everyday and listen to your body´s warnings , yes it hurts but if it starts to SUDDENLY hurt then stop and try again the next day .
having just recoverd from a dislocated hip and then accute tendonitis of the troublesome ankle you have my sympathy - crutches are a bore .

and remember " MAKE HASTE SLOWLY " good luck

el Inglés said:
short answer : depends .
I know a guy who fell off a roof and really wrecked his legs and feet - won a medal in the sydney paralympics on the track ( silver ) - and his legs were a really mess nowadays his biggest problem is having to have his shoes specially made .
I had polio as a child and my foots a disaster almost solid at the ankle , leg not much better but most of the time it´s not stopped me cycling and when fit I´m not the slowest guy I know .

rehab : do enough but don´t overdo it , a little everyday and listen to your body´s warnings , yes it hurts but if it starts to SUDDENLY hurt then stop and try again the next day .
having just recoverd from a dislocated hip and then accute tendonitis of the troublesome ankle you have my sympathy - crutches are a bore .

and remember " MAKE HASTE SLOWLY " good luck
thanks for the reply, i think ill be alright but itll take some work! yea im sure crutches are a bore but im not that far along yet, ive still got about 3-4 months in a wheelchair so...

NVP said:
thanks for the reply, i think ill be alright but itll take some work! yea im sure crutches are a bore but im not that far along yet, ive still got about 3-4 months in a wheelchair so...

If your house / flat has small doors , as my flat has , you can use a computerchair to be moved from room to room - 2 years ago i nursed my mother through a broken knecap ( 3 months in bed - too much like hard work ) an this was the only way to get her to the bathroom , livingroom etc .
a wheel chair just not going between the the door pillars on the interior doors .
You have my sympathy , bed rest is totally boring - it´s not to bad when your in constant pain but when that stops you get soooo bored because you can´t do anything for yourself that would fill the time and , of course you don´t sleep because your not getting tired - tv at 3am is habitually lousy . and those bloody chat shows and realty tv !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!